Colonial Fleets

Colonial Fleets (http://www.colonialfleets.com/forums/index.php)
-   ART Work - In Progress (http://www.colonialfleets.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=101)
-   -   CG Galactica (http://www.colonialfleets.com/forums/showthread.php?t=17508)

Senmut August 29th, 2013 06:48 PM

Re: CG Galactica

The thrust reversers on the Viper look cool.
Have you done the 2-seat model?

Matador August 29th, 2013 10:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Senmut (Post 312197)
Have you done the 2-seat model?

Thanks...

Haven't worked on the two seat version yet. But thanks for the idea. Once I get done with the hanger deck detail, then I may work on that.

Right now I'm just trying to add more stuff to the Hangar deck and then try some animation of the characters. I still have a bit to go. I'm going to be having some more free time soon... Then I can really knuckle down and get some scenes animated.
:salute:

Senmut August 30th, 2013 06:44 PM

Just being a pest again....will your hangar deck have the repair/maintenance facilities in them? Just wondering......

Matador August 31st, 2013 12:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Senmut (Post 312200)
Just being a pest again....will your hangar deck have the repair/maintenance facilities in them? Just wondering......

Yes...

Senmut August 31st, 2013 10:34 PM

Like glacial, dude!!!!!!!!

Matador September 2nd, 2013 10:29 PM

4 Attachment(s)
I added some more detail and texturing... I also worked on the costumes for the flightdeck crew...

Senmut September 3rd, 2013 05:50 PM

Looking better and better.

Matador September 9th, 2013 12:18 AM

2 Attachment(s)
Finally got to spend a couple days working on the hangar deck and launch bay. I've got two tubes almost done. I spent a lot of time going back and fourth on how I wanted to do this.

I do plan on adding more lights and eventually texturing the Launch tubes. I sort of got the idea for the launch control room from the new Galactica series. Working on getting that textured too.

Matador September 13th, 2013 11:44 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Almost done with this section of the launch bay.

martok2112 September 13th, 2013 11:56 PM

My God, but you do some AMAZING work! Love the launch bay...and I love your take on the Vipers...especially with the markings that make me think of current day military fighters....this was something I loved about the new show...but you've really given the original ships a new sense of realism with those markings! Very well done! :)

Matador September 14th, 2013 06:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by martok2112 (Post 312278)
My God, but you do some AMAZING work! Love the launch bay...and I love your take on the Vipers...especially with the markings that make me think of current day military fighters....this was something I loved about the new show...but you've really given the original ships a new sense of realism with those markings! Very well done! :)

Thanks Martok... That means a lot. You do nice work as well. I've done a combination of adding elements from the new series with the original series. I loved both, so I've studied reference images from both and tried a little artistic creativity. I've also added elements from real military aircraft.

Also, it's been a real challenge going from 3dMax to Lightwave... So re-training myself to model, render, and animate on a whole new platform has been very time consuming. But I'm very happy with the results I'm getting.

Thanks again. :salute:

"may the odds be ever in your favor"

martok2112 September 14th, 2013 10:37 AM

I wish I could afford Lightwave or 3DSMax. (3DSMax is actually the basis program that a lot of developers use when making props and such for use in iClone). But the more I learn with Blender, the more I realize that it is just as good as any of those multi-thousand dollar programs....and it's FREE! :) (The tutorial books can be pricey...anywhere from 40 to 100 bucks...LOL).

Yes, the lettering that you use on the hulls of your Vipers reminds me of the same thing as when hull lettering had to be made for the NX-01 in Enterprise...finding a font that seemed to pre-date Kirk's era, but still seemed fitting for the Star Fleet. So, nice retrovisulization there. :)

Matador September 14th, 2013 12:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by martok2112 (Post 312281)
I wish I could afford Lightwave or 3DSMax.

I hear ya man... I started with 3ds max because a buddy of mine was a student and he got me hooked on the program. But when it was time to upgrade, I was in sticker shock. Plus I was going to have to purchase V-ray on top of that, to get the render effects I wanted.

Ligthwave offered more options and was half the price. Pluse it already has a really awesome render engine built in.

I like Blender and I gave it a hard try... But I just could not get used to the "right" click thing... Some of the things in Lightwave are similar to Max, but I stress "some".

Blender does have a really cool liquid dynamics thing. That I thought is really cool. You can't beat free. I've seen some pretty cool stuff done with Blender. :cool:

September 16th, 2013 06:51 AM

Seeing what you've done recently (I haven't been on here in a while) you've blown me away. awesome work. :salute:

Matador September 16th, 2013 03:58 PM

Thanks Andromeda. That means a lot. I've tried to combine elements from both old and new series to come up with the look I want. It is very time consuming. Especially balancing out my full time job and being a father.

Many thanks to all of those who have given me helpful tips and encouragement. Making the switch to Lightwave was not easy for me. But I'm surprised with what I have learned in less than a year. :salute:

Titon September 17th, 2013 09:38 AM

Nice work there!

Keep it up!

:)

Matador November 6th, 2013 03:08 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Well. After much of Trial and error, I was finally able to re-create the thruster effect for the Vipers. This is the same look from the new Galactica series.

This is my first test. :cool:

martok2112 November 6th, 2013 06:49 PM

Very cool!

Matador November 23rd, 2013 08:12 AM

3 Attachment(s)
Started merging the two sides of Galactica. Now the fun task of touching things up, adding more textures.... Then the really cool part... Adding the hull lights.

I've also been spending a lot of time trying to get the interior lighting to look right. Mostly with volumetrics(fog/Haze) effect. Much trial and error.

:cool:

Matador November 26th, 2013 06:40 AM

3 Attachment(s)
I just started the lighting scheme for the hull. Lots of trial and error. But I'm happy how this is coming along.

I'm trying to figure out cool places to add lights and possibly windows. Still much more modeling work to do too.

Seems I'm always finding something "after the fact"... That needs touching up.

:cool: