Go Back   Colonial Fleets > BATTLESTAR GALACTICA DISCUSSION AREA > The Last Battlestar......Galactica!
Notices
The Last Battlestar......Galactica! For discussions about the ORIGINAL series
What Dreams May Come!

Old October 18th, 2004, 08:29 AM   #1
CommanderTaggart
Warrior

Colonial Fan ForceFounder/President
Colonial Fan Force
COMMAND INSIGNIACo-Owner
TombsofKobol.com
Webmaster (Retired)
Laurette Spang.com

Default Maybe you agree with this guy, maybe you don't...

If you don't, why not write him and tell him so? I did.

leegoldbrg@aol.com

http://leegoldberg.typepad.com/a_wri...ss_morons.html

Quote:
Tuesday, September 21, 2004
Clueless Morons

Yesterday in Variety, a bunch of clueless morons calling themselves The Colonial Fan Force ran a full-page, color advertisement clamoring for a "Battlestar Galactica" movie starring the original cast.

Millions of fans still dream of seeing the Battlestar Galactica roam the heavens once more in a big screen continuations of the epic story that began in 1978 with the original cast and characters leading a new generation of warriors

Yeah, right... there are millions, no TENS of millions, of fans clamoring for the return of Herb Jefferson, Laurette Sprang, Dirk Benedict, and Richard Hatch (who is not nearly as powerful an actor as the nude guy of the same name on "Survivor"... nor as successful). I suspect the real audience is about 100 fat guys in their 40s, who at this very moment are busily duping all their Heather Thomas videos onto DVD...
Galacticaad
That said, I am always amused by the losers who spend their comic book money on pointless ads like this (or, worse, the ones who publish a synopsis of, or excerpt from, their unsold screenplays). The advertising guys at Variety and the Hollywood Reporter must laugh themselves silly with glee every time one of these suckers comes in.

In the case of the "Battlestar Galactica," the folks at "The Colonial Fan Force" urge the readers of Variety (most of whom are entertainment industry professionals) to write writer/producer Glen A. Larson and Tom DeSanto, a guy who once tried to launch a movie version of the TV show. This shows just how little the people who paid for this ad understand about how the business works...and even sillier when you consider the SciFi Channel is already in the midst of shooting a new "Battlestar Galactica" TV series from NBC/Universal Studios with an all-new cast led by Edward James Olmos.

I suppose we have Gene Roddenberry to blame for this, ever since he cleverly engineered the so-called "viewer campaign" to save "Star Trek" from cancellation. So now we get ads demanding the return of dull supporting characters axed from TV shows (the "Save Marina" campaign on "The L Word" comes to mind) and from the millions of fans still crying over the demise of "Manimal." I'm looking forward to the "Bring Gloria Reuben back to MISSING" ads... maybe the Colonial Fan Force can take up the cause.

I'm sorry, I shouldn't joke. This "Battlestar Galactica" stuff is serious business, as is clear from the Colonial Fan Force website:

We've got to buckle down, and get to work. It's going to be up to each member of fandom to make sure our efforts come to fruition. The CFF and its leadership will remain active in coordinating fan efforts as much as possible, but everyone reading this page has got to accept individual responsibility for making sure that we, as a group, rise together and speak with one voice. None of us can afford to think that "someone else will do it." We've all got to find some time (and some stamps), and make it happen. We've got to make some collective noise.

This would be funny if it wasn't so sad. Think of all the truly worthy causes that could benefit from the same time, effort and money these morons are devoting with such earnestness to this idiotic pursuit...
Old October 18th, 2004, 08:48 AM   #2
thomas7g
out there somewhere

COMMAND INSIGNIAFormer Admin (ret)
Colonial Fleets
BattlestarGalactica-Fleets.com
Owner
Ship Of Lights Forum

I think most people assume that the new show is the entire ballgame. That any hope of a revival went out the window with the new series. And that any attempt by fans is pathetic and hopeless and fanatical.

That sadly is the average Joe's opinion.

Though there is a core group, we few but hardcore that will continue.

I don't think we should bother this guy. We should leave him alone. Any attempt will only convince him he is definitely right, that we are fanatics and losers. Its like tryong to out argue Shawn Hannity on Fox that democrats are smarter.

That guy above has some definite holes in his logic born out ignorance of some facts. But his opinion is the same opinion the majority of the world has. That sadly is a grim fact.

And frankly, this guy don't matter. Has anyone ever heard about this guy before? Would we even care about him if not for this one article he wrote? Course not. He's just another schmuck like the rest of us webmasters. He doesn't matter.

We have a good chance at a movie starting up in maybe 2008 or so. But right now I can't see a way to convince people without Larson or DeSanto doing an announcement.

"There is a meaning for wings that can not fly!
Its a precious memory of when you once flew in the sky."
thomas7g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 18th, 2004, 09:06 AM   #3
"T"
Shuttle Pilot

What happens in 2008?

Dont you think thats going to be a little silly if the New Series hits good reviews / Ratings?

Why bring another BSG on to the stage if teh new one picks the torch up and carries on the saga of the Colonials if a little differently to what happened in 1978?

-"T"-
Old October 18th, 2004, 09:11 AM   #4
kingfish
Strike Leader

COMMAND INSIGNIAAdministrator
Battlestar Pacifica
Battlestar Rycon

If you want my honest opinion:

I don't agree with him but will not waste my breath or time on him.

1)Fandom should be commended on the job done in getting the ad in the first place. makes me proud.

2) Fandom could have done nothing but cried like GIRLIE-MEN, we did do something. "Did we make a difference?" Can't say until the big screen version comes out.

3) Our chances might be slim but as the man said, "It will be FUN!!!"

4)CFF rocks!!! Well done!!!
kingfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 18th, 2004, 09:11 AM   #5
thomas7g
out there somewhere

Colonial Fleets
Owner
Ship Of Lights Forum

Quote:
Originally Posted by T
What happens in 2008?

Dont you think thats going to be a little silly if the New Series hits good reviews / Ratings?

Why bring another BSG on to the stage if teh new one picks the torch up and carries on the saga of the Colonials if a little differently to what happened in 1978?

-"T"-
I think T just proved my point

You have to first convince people that the new show isn't the only game in town.

Old October 18th, 2004, 09:27 AM   #6
thomas7g
out there somewhere

Colonial Fleets
Owner
Ship Of Lights Forum

T if you haven't seen these yet, take a look at these theads.

http://www.colonialfleets.com/forums...ead.php?t=4726
http://www.colonialfleets.com/forums...ead.php?t=6614

For more of an answer I need my own thread...

Old October 18th, 2004, 09:31 AM   #7
kingfish
Strike Leader

Battlestar Pacifica
Battlestar Rycon

Bald and Fat:

I am six feet in height, weight 159 pounds, and have all of my hair (long at the moment, Colonial Warrior style).
Old October 18th, 2004, 11:34 AM   #8
Antelope

I'm with Kingfish.

He isn't worth your time. He's got some problem and it isn't Battlestar Galactica fans.

If you feel like writing stick to the letter writing campaign.

I don't know if the ad will do any good but it didn't hurt and the people behind it certainly aren't morons.
Old October 18th, 2004, 05:38 PM   #9
Mustex
On Vacation...

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingfish
Bald and Fat:

I am six feet in height, weight 159 pounds, and have all of my hair (long at the moment, Colonial Warrior style).
I used to be fat...until I lost fifty pounds (Cambell's Chicken Noodle Soup is the perfect food for weight loss). My weight now varies between 146 and 152. Plus I'm seventeen, and not yet bald.
Mustex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 18th, 2004, 06:12 PM   #10
BST
Snowball, My Angel Baby

COMMAND INSIGNIAAdmin
Colonial Fleets

Tag,

I wouldn't waste the keystrokes on that, uh, person. He's so full of himself, it's almost laughable. He almost reminds me of another celebrated writer of self-proclaimed fame, whom many of us know and would rather forget. I won't mention the name, though, he might want to sue us, ......., again.

Suggestion: If you printed the article, use it to line the bird cage, face up. Ashes to ashes, dust to dust, **** to ****
You have come to journey's end
Sleep now
And dream of the ones who came before
They are calling
From across the distant shore .

Children are a message that we send
to a time that we will never see.
BST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 18th, 2004, 06:27 PM   #11
Gemini1999
Strike Leader

FORUM STAFFFleet Moderator
Colonial Fleets

The article does suck.... but it isn't worth the time to write to him. He obviously didn't get the reason we put the ad in Variety - not to generate letters so much, but to put something out to the entertainment professsials that there is interest out there for a continuation film. Enough interest to organize a fund drive, create and ad and pay to have it posted.

Tom is right, it is the "average joe" opinion.... This guy would probably wind up in a mental institution when he heard about the 300 thou that the Scapers raised to produce their own commercial...!

Who cares anyway? We didn't do it for people like this - he's as bad as the posters at AICN (or worse).

No skin off my nose - he only makes himself look bad by claiming that he's a journalist, but puts such an opinionated spin on the article that you can tell he's got an axe to grind....

Best,
Bryan

"If you love long enough, wish hard enough, anything is possible" - From The Boy Who Could Fly
Gemini1999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 19th, 2004, 05:42 AM   #12
Titon
Retired or am I?

Special Effects Artist
Battlestar Galactica 2003
COMMAND INSIGNIACoFounder
Colonial Fleets

Well now, seems someone got a bit of pee in his poast toasties this morning.

Actually if anyone is clueless it's this individual. God the things i could tell him.

hehe.

Old October 19th, 2004, 06:35 AM   #13
Gemini1999
Strike Leader

FORUM STAFFFleet Moderator
Colonial Fleets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Titon

Actually if anyone is clueless it's this individual. God the things i could tell him.

hehe.

Don -

We'll just have to save the little pisher's e-mail addy for when that time comes....

I love nothing more than saying "I told you so" to someone that really deserves it!

Best,
Bryan

"If you love long enough, wish hard enough, anything is possible" - From The Boy Who Could Fly
Gemini1999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 19th, 2004, 07:39 AM   #14
jewels
Stablemaster, Livery Ship

FORUM STAFFFleet Modertor
Colonial Fleets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Titon

hehe.

Shoot! the things I could tell him are enough to show him to be way beyond moronic in his opinion. And I've been around only a blip of time compared to Titon.

Tom DeSanto told us that the the new series couldn't hurt our dreams of a continuation--only continued interest in the original series mattered. Glen Larson told us that the new series being successful could only help us. And Ron Moore supported the Colonial Fan Force. "T" I read that as none of the main players are terribly concerned about the 2 stories coexisting. 2008 sounds fine to me. The Galactica cruising across the big screen to Stu's theme is worth waiting for.

Jewels

"May have been the losing side. Still not convinced it was the wrong one." Malcolm Reynolds [/color]

"We don't dictate to countries, we liberate countries." Mitt Romney [/color]
jewels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 19th, 2004, 10:39 AM   #15
Ravishol
Bad Email Address

I've been around since 98 but only lurk anymore. I appreciate Titon's optisim but I hate to admit that this fellow may be right.

I would love to be proven wrong.
Ravishol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 19th, 2004, 01:00 PM   #16
kingfish
Strike Leader

Battlestar Pacifica
Battlestar Rycon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ravishol
I've been around since 98 but only lurk anymore. I appreciate Titon's optisim but I hate to admit that this fellow may be right.

I would love to be proven wrong.

When the big screen Larson/DeSanto version hits the screen the nonbelievers will all be proven wrong.
Old October 19th, 2004, 01:55 PM   #17
CommanderTaggart
Warrior

Colonial Fan ForceFounder/President
Colonial Fan Force
COMMAND INSIGNIACo-Owner
TombsofKobol.com
Webmaster (Retired)
Laurette Spang.com

Ravishol... the ad may never make or have made a difference. Sure. But we, as a fanbase, have sent a message regarding what we want by means of a publication that is read by the people who have the power to bring it to us. No more, and no less. We have demonstrated that we are still willing to spend money on TOS. No more, no less. We never expected anyone to turn to page 19, smack their head, and say "Why didn't I think of this before! Get production on the phone!!!"

Anyone who believed that was our goal is... welll... a clueless moron.
Old October 19th, 2004, 01:57 PM   #18
thomas7g
out there somewhere

Colonial Fleets
Owner
Ship Of Lights Forum

to be honest Tag, I think your website is more effective than the ad.

Old October 19th, 2004, 06:13 PM   #19
Mustex
On Vacation...

Quote:
Originally Posted by BST
Tag,

I wouldn't waste the keystrokes on that, uh, person. He's so full of himself, it's almost laughable. He almost reminds me of another celebrated writer of self-proclaimed fame, whom many of us know and would rather forget. I won't mention the name, though, he might want to sue us, ......., again.
I must have missed this lawsuit. I don't suppose you could PM me the name, and information about the suite (I take it this should be common knowledge by now).
Mustex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 19th, 2004, 06:24 PM   #20
BST
Snowball, My Angel Baby

COMMAND INSIGNIAAdmin
Colonial Fleets

There was NO lawsuit, just a threat of one.

The name is best forgotten and in your case, Mustex, not knowing is a blessing.

You have come to journey's end
Sleep now
And dream of the ones who came before
They are calling
From across the distant shore .

Children are a message that we send
to a time that we will never see.
BST is offline   Reply With Quote