Go Back   Colonial Fleets > BATTLESTAR GALACTICA DISCUSSION AREA > The Last Battlestar......Galactica!
Notices
The Last Battlestar......Galactica! For discussions about the ORIGINAL series
What Dreams May Come!

Old January 27th, 2004, 11:00 PM   #1
thomas7g
out there somewhere

COMMAND INSIGNIAFormer Admin (ret)
Colonial Fleets
BattlestarGalactica-Fleets.com
Owner
Ship Of Lights Forum

Default Desanto Production Art

For those who didn't get to see the DeSanto Preproductin Art for his version of Battlestar Galactica we are hosting it again. This is the same file we gave away at christmas.

For those who have not heard, back in 2001, Tom DeSanto (creator of Xmen movies), was producing a Battlestar Galactica miniseries featuring the original cast. The production was already underway with finished preproduction art. Sets were being constructed. Fullscale Vipers were being built. New cylon designs were being finalized.

But then the World Trade Centers were destroyed. And that devastated the morale of the production team. They fell behind schedule. And contractually Tom DeSanto had to leave to start XMen2.

Bonnie Hammer, head of Scifi Channel hated BG. She took the project over and ordered all the sets and props destroyed. She had some crazy vision of Battlestar being about a big biodome ship. (that idea would be latter killed)

That's how we lost Battlestar Galactica.

But the art was wonderful. Please enjoy it. Don't get made or frustrated. Just love what we can have and maybe will have again if DeSanto can restart Galactica the Movie again in a few years.

This is a 12 MB flash file. So you will need Macromedia Flash to see it.Once you have Flash installed, just drop the file on any open internet browser window to view it. (And view it full screen for full effect!!!)

The Tom DeSanto preproduction art

(this file is also downloadable from battlestargalactica.com and battlestarpegasus.com)

**note- if the like downloads but opens up empty, try saving file to disk, then opening.

"There is a meaning for wings that can not fly!
Its a precious memory of when you once flew in the sky."
thomas7g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 20th, 2004, 04:52 AM   #2
"T"
Shuttle Pilot

I know 9/11 was awful but the American Nation did not "STOP" entirely life had and has to go on no matter what.....The blitz did not stop spitfire production 9/11 should not have stopped BSG

-"T"-
Old March 4th, 2004, 03:22 PM   #3
shiningstar
Bad Email Address

I hope that Larson and Desanto will get back and do BSG RIGHT ..............
as a TOP "MOVIE" Not for TV but for the theater .....................there were
many media types who said that "the Passion of Christ" would never
succeed. THey said they would destroy Mel Gibson's career that he
would never work in this town again. THEY were wrong. I believe that
Desanto can prove those people wrong again
shiningstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 11th, 2004, 05:24 AM   #4
gmd3d
Major

Hello all i am potemkin72000 new to this site and a like what i see, I have seen the DeSanto Preproductin art for the proposed series and it was great to see.

As for Bonnie Hammer.. well she and a lot of other people have a narrow view of what Galactica had to offer.

I would also like to say at this point that i have watched the new miniseries and althrough I am a fan of the old I don't rule out being a fan of the new, Its not what I wanted. it all we have on television I will watch to see what they do with it.. For good or bad time will tell.

but i think the place for the Original crew is in the movies,, Galcatica was always to big for TV. The Galactica has a epic quality about it and television has smothered it for years.
gmd3d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 11th, 2004, 10:23 AM   #5
jewels
Stablemaster, Livery Ship

FORUM STAFFFleet Modertor
Colonial Fleets

Welcome Potemkin 72000!

Good, succinct description of the problem of Galactica. There is hope that Glen Larson, with the help of Tom DeSanto, may bring a theatrical movie out. The Colonial Fan Force has a campaign to fund two national publication ads in support of Glen & Tom: more info at www.colonialfanforce.org

Jewels

"May have been the losing side. Still not convinced it was the wrong one." Malcolm Reynolds [/color]

"We don't dictate to countries, we liberate countries." Mitt Romney [/color]
jewels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 11th, 2004, 10:37 AM   #6
shiningstar
Bad Email Address

Welcome to the fleet Potemkin 72000!
Old March 11th, 2004, 10:38 AM   #7
shiningstar
Bad Email Address

Quote:
Originally Posted by jewels
Welcome Potemkin 72000!

Good, succinct description of the problem of Galactica. There is hope that Glen Larson, with the help of Tom DeSanto, may bring a theatrical movie out. The Colonial Fan Force has a campaign to fund two national publication ads in support of Glen & Tom: more info at www.colonialfanforce.org

Jewels
Thank you so much for posting this link.
I'm getting a money order and sending out my donation ASAP.
Old March 15th, 2004, 08:14 AM   #8
gmd3d
Major

Thumbs up

thanks for the welcome jewels and shiningstar

I down loaded the sample and it was great love the new bridge and it not totaly redesigned for which i am thankfull.

The new Vipers are great a lot sleeker

I will be making a donation soon
gmd3d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 29th, 2004, 11:49 AM   #9
KJ
Strike Leader

I was wondering if there was to be a follow up to this, with a lot more information released this year about the Singer/ DeSanto production? I thought the first downloadable file was meant to be just the beginning?

Aren't there meant to be more production based things that were saved via: Video files, pictures and JPEG's an such from the 2001 continuation Galactica that we haven't seen yet. DeSanto version of the Colonial Warrior's Jacket / Uniforms, storyboards, the shooting script etc. I've wanted to know if the well of information on this, has not been forgotten? I've looked at several older articles to see if anything was dropped earlier that i might have missed out on. I just want to know, for those individuals who hold on to valued info on the whole Singer/DeSanto 2001 Galactica project. That, are there particular reasons why certain infomation comes out at certain times of the year, barring any personal private family business why the Galactica fanbase only gets bits and pieces of information regarding the formers project of "2001"?

I also want to ask, if there is a date to release all the information together leaving NO STONE unturned far as getting everything every Battlestar Galactica fan ever dreamed of in regards about this pre-planned un-realised BG. Every scrap of info?

My last question is. Is there anymore Foundation footage that hasn't been release? and if there is any EdenFX footage video footage of Singer/DeSanto 2001 Galactica, why isn't it release yet.

I'm writing another letter to DeSanto and wanted some ammunition to go with. Can't lie though. Seeing all the stuff is the main reason i'm asking! Recently we've gooten a taste of BG:TSC through some of the artists and actors who put up their work for all to see. I'd just like all the infomation on the Singer/ DeSanto Galactica as well.

We're at a time and place where having all the pieces of the puzzle counts for something. And truthfully i'd like to stop feeling like the dog who has to beg for a bone to live on, for another day longer!

Is there any reasonable explantation as to why we can't have all the information, video files, jpeg pictures etc of this former production whenever we want to have it?. Or why there is "101" excuses as to why we can't have have them all as of now. Some of us feel like we're in the desert and the "mirage" keeps popping up.

Battlestar Galactica fans sure know what Frustration is more than any other fanbase does. That much i do know of!

KJ
Old October 29th, 2004, 12:46 PM   #10
jewels
Stablemaster, Livery Ship

FORUM STAFFFleet Modertor
Colonial Fleets

I'd say that AO's article at CA and the slideshow at BattlestarPegasus.com are as much as you'll find out there right now. But for a non-released film, that's a lot.

I don't remember if MF hosted the Foundation imaging trailer too or not. That was the hardest thing to take. You could taste what DeSanto's movie would've felt like on the FX end of things. I hope those guys always know just how precious that few minutes of film was.

"May have been the losing side. Still not convinced it was the wrong one." Malcolm Reynolds [/color]

"We don't dictate to countries, we liberate countries." Mitt Romney [/color]
jewels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 29th, 2004, 01:24 PM   #11
BST
Snowball, My Angel Baby

COMMAND INSIGNIAAdmin
Colonial Fleets

Quote:
Originally Posted by T
I know 9/11 was awful but the American Nation did not "STOP" entirely life had and has to go on no matter what.....The blitz did not stop spitfire production 9/11 should not have stopped BSG

-"T"-
I realize that my "reply" is 8+ months after the fact but, I wanted to finish Tom's thought:

ALL plane travel was grounded for a week or so, I believe, and THAT was enough to kill the production.
You have come to journey's end
Sleep now
And dream of the ones who came before
They are calling
From across the distant shore .

Children are a message that we send
to a time that we will never see.
BST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 30th, 2004, 05:48 AM   #12
KJ
Strike Leader

What i feel is worse, is that Tom tried to keep the stuff done on the 2001 BG locked up in a rented storeroom on the studio film lot, somewhere in Vancouver right? But paying for the rent thing was coming out of the studio pocket book, i think? correct me please if i'm wrong.

Somebody put an end to that idea. And wasn't that what led to the Singer/ DeSanto stuff being trashed and put in a landfill -

The guys didn't even have time to grieve about it for long being X2 had started into 2002 and both Singer and DeSanto were now busy elsewhere. Though DeSanto to his credit recognised us Galactica fans and millions of other supporters who back the project and wanted his and Bryan Singer version so badly and posted his online thank you letter, right?

Unrealised projects get put on the shelves all the time. Why was all the hard work put in this baby destroyed. It really sicken me, this happened. knowing full well both gentlemen were busy doing X2, months of preparation on Galactica was gone.

*SHOP* the bloody project over to somebody else to get interested in doing and get another well known director to do Battlestar Galactica. While X2 was been done and let DeSanto come back when X2 was over? It like saying George Lucas decided to ditch the prequels and fell in love with the Star Wars EU (Expanded Universe) and did a set of 3 movies deling with stuff thousands of years before Episode 1 let alone, episodes 4 to 6?

Like i said it frustrating, Richard Hatch and Bryan Singer/ Tom DeSanto version of Battlestar Galactica is what gives people i talk to about it "goosebumps" everytime i talk about it or say i'll give you a CD of files i just downloaded off the net. Can't remember if anyone ever talked about Bio-domes Galactica or the 2003 Mini /2004 series and drew such, Ooohh and Wow...... with bulging eyes type surprises, from people i've talked to. But talking about the Foundation FX footage or the Second Coming does!

I pray Foundation did more and somebody will leak an hours worth of FX footage one day! wishful thinking i know, but if it doesn't come to pass, i'll be happy knowing these artists and craftmen/women didn't do their time on 2001 Galactica in vain. And i apreaicate all the files leaked out to fandom for the fans to enjoy. Even if it is brief. Cos we know what we want to see happen!

KJ
Old October 17th, 2005, 02:42 PM   #13
Barnephiliac
Bad Email Address

Default DeSanto Preproduction art 1.0 (is there a 2.0?)

The original DeSanto production art "slideshow" says it is the 1.0 version and also tells about a 2.0 version coming up on pegasus.com. Can anyone confirm or deny that that version ever happened?
Barnephiliac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 17th, 2005, 03:29 PM   #14
peter noble
Strike Leader

Colonial Fan ForceCo-Founder
Colonial Fan Force
COMMAND INSIGNIACo-Owner
TombsofKobol.com

It never happened unfortunately.
peter noble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 18th, 2005, 06:35 AM   #15
LadyImmortal
Bad Email Address

Nope, never any 2.0 cause the show, drat it all, never got made!!
LadyImmortal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 19th, 2005, 11:59 PM   #16
Barnephiliac
Bad Email Address

I see, thanks for the answers.

I hoped that we were able to see more of the EdenFX demo of the cylon homeworld. I discovered two stills at the bottom of the page here (fantastic site by the way!):

http://www.cylon.org/bsg/desanto-revival01.html

Does anyone have more pictures of that particular demo?
Barnephiliac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 21st, 2005, 11:17 PM   #17
BlueSquad2001
Warrior Ace

The DeSanto studioscale that you can see, on cylon.org as well as here in the un-finished works section, is my work. It was started well over a year ago, and was scrapped due to communication breakdown (zep style! )
But it is pulled and dusted off and just about finished, not to be offered by anyone but ME this time. It was made(not like CGI images I have seen ) But more true to the actual production build. So it will be a truer model. Nothing wrong with the cgi's I've seen, but all I have seen, they have taken too many (liberties) and made too many changes. And the model kit that was produced in 1/48 scale I think, was also changed from what was seen to be production wise. I did'nt like it. So this is why I pulled mine out of moth balls to offer the truest DeSanto that is available. Please take a look in Art Un-Finished part of the forum. Hope to keep this DeSanto flame alive.
Old November 22nd, 2005, 09:30 AM   #18
Darrell Lawrence
Formerly Warrior
The Lone Wolf

SPECIAL ACHIEVEMENT AWARDOwner:
Colonial Fleets
3D Gladiators
Former Webmaster:
BattlestarGalactica.com
RichardHatch.com
GreatWarofMagellan.com
Web Tech:
LauretteSpang.com
DirkBenedictCentral.com
TombsofKobol.com

Who's CGI models of the DeSanto Viper are you referring to?

I've only seen two CGI models of it- Mine ( http://www.colonialfleets.com/galler...s.php?cat_id=2 ) and David Kerin's.
"Legends never die... They just get new Captains."
"Respect the past. It brought you the present."
Darrell Lawrence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 22nd, 2005, 09:36 AM   #19
BlueSquad2001
Warrior Ace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warrior
Who's CGI models of the DeSanto Viper are you referring to?

I've only seen two CGI models of it- Mine ( http://www.colonialfleets.com/galler...s.php?cat_id=2 ) and David Kerin's.
I think it had big raised panel lines, and just some things appeared to be off, but the reason I stated this, because I'm really a stickler for the ole(by the book) model design. They all look great, only they appear to be added to or general shapes slightly altered. I salute your cgi renderings and wish I could do these myself, but alas, I must stick to paper, canvas and paint.
Old November 22nd, 2005, 09:42 AM   #20
Darrell Lawrence
Formerly Warrior
The Lone Wolf

Colonial Fleets
3D Gladiators
Former Webmaster:
BattlestarGalactica.com
RichardHatch.com
GreatWarofMagellan.com
Web Tech:
LauretteSpang.com
DirkBenedictCentral.com
TombsofKobol.com

Well, there as no definite "model views" to work with for the DeSanto Viper. The painting of it was done in a way where the back was visually angled differently than the full size mock ups as well as the studio scale models. So the actual "shape" isn't a given

As for details, again- The physical models being built were not complete, so one *does* have to "guestimate" what it'd look like.

I tried not to go overboard with detailing as the painting did, with me keeping more in line with what the original Viper was like as well.
Old November 22nd, 2005, 09:50 AM   #21
BlueSquad2001
Warrior Ace

Quote:
Well, there as no definite "model views" to work with for the DeSanto Viper. The painting of it was done in a way where the back was visually angled differently than the full size mock ups as well as the studio scale models. So the actual "shape" isn't a given

As for details, again- The physical models being built were not complete, so one *does* have to "guestimate" what it'd look like.

I tried not to go overboard with detailing as the painting did, with me keeping more in line with what the original Viper was like as well.
I understand your thinking. And yes, we did'nt have much to go on. We did have the simple prototype model and those are the angles that I worked from. I believed I must've made 30 or more sketches and figuring of angles to get the model that I have built up. And the interestin thing was that I decided that in the section of the engines, where there is a separation, that (trench) I added slightly the same, kinda similar, only less detail as this is an advanced ship and the panel lines will be similat to TOS, but again as an advanced fighter, probably a little less than the original. I'll post close-up picks of this section over in the studioscale section of unfinished art and see what I mean. Would you like your version created into a resin kit? I'd be glad to do this.
Old November 22nd, 2005, 09:55 AM   #22
Darrell Lawrence
Formerly Warrior
The Lone Wolf

Colonial Fleets
3D Gladiators
Former Webmaster:
BattlestarGalactica.com
RichardHatch.com
GreatWarofMagellan.com
Web Tech:
LauretteSpang.com
DirkBenedictCentral.com
TombsofKobol.com

Battlestar Galactica 1978

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueSquad2001
Would you like your version created into a resin kit? I'd be glad to do this.
Oh hell yeah!

In addition, what I'd love to eventually do is have someone's completed DeSanto Viper (yours perhaps?) and make a CGI version of it for consistancy in the modeling world.

Many people look to the physical models, many others look to the CGI models.

If both were extremely close, then that'd help set up the "definite" version
Old November 22nd, 2005, 09:56 AM   #23
Darrell Lawrence
Formerly Warrior
The Lone Wolf

Colonial Fleets
3D Gladiators
Former Webmaster:
BattlestarGalactica.com
RichardHatch.com
GreatWarofMagellan.com
Web Tech:
LauretteSpang.com
DirkBenedictCentral.com
TombsofKobol.com

Oh, an additional question- Do you know if anyone has done a physical Cylon Basestar from the DeSanto production?
Old November 22nd, 2005, 09:59 AM   #24
BlueSquad2001
Warrior Ace

Quote:
Oh hell yeah!

In addition, what I'd love to eventually do is have someone's completed DeSanto Viper (yours perhaps?) and make a CGI version of it for consistancy in the modeling world.

Many people look to the physical models, many others look to the CGI models.

If both were extremely close, then that'd help set up the "definite" version
E-mail me and hurry and I'll give you my number. I can probably take this project on in about a week. But before that week, needs to be preparation for said project. Let's define this thing once and for all.
Old November 22nd, 2005, 10:05 AM   #25
Darrell Lawrence
Formerly Warrior
The Lone Wolf

Colonial Fleets
3D Gladiators
Former Webmaster:
BattlestarGalactica.com
RichardHatch.com
GreatWarofMagellan.com
Web Tech:
LauretteSpang.com
DirkBenedictCentral.com
TombsofKobol.com

E-mail fired away.
Old November 22nd, 2005, 10:11 AM   #26
BlueSquad2001
Warrior Ace

Go into the art in progress part of the forum, and look at my engine detail if you would. I sent a reply with number.
Old November 22nd, 2005, 10:22 AM   #27
Darrell Lawrence
Formerly Warrior
The Lone Wolf

Colonial Fleets
3D Gladiators
Former Webmaster:
BattlestarGalactica.com
RichardHatch.com
GreatWarofMagellan.com
Web Tech:
LauretteSpang.com
DirkBenedictCentral.com
TombsofKobol.com

Already replied there
Old November 22nd, 2005, 03:32 PM   #28
BlueSquad2001
Warrior Ace

Talk to you soon. Also hope you don't forget the Battlestar model help.
Old November 23rd, 2005, 09:37 AM   #29
BlueSquad2001
Warrior Ace

Warrior, what are the size comparisons with the Viper and Cobra? Let's get some stats on this, I'm moving in for the build-up.
Old November 23rd, 2005, 10:31 AM   #30
Darrell Lawrence
Formerly Warrior
The Lone Wolf

Colonial Fleets
3D Gladiators
Former Webmaster:
BattlestarGalactica.com
RichardHatch.com
GreatWarofMagellan.com
Web Tech:
LauretteSpang.com
DirkBenedictCentral.com
TombsofKobol.com

As I said via phone- Virtually the same size as the Viper.