Go Back   Colonial Fleets > ALTERNATE UNIVERSES > Miscellaneous Entertainment
Notices
Miscellaneous Entertainment Talk about any other shows not covered by other forums.

Old December 18th, 2006, 04:47 PM   #1
martok2112
Colonial Story Teller

FORUM STAFFFleet Moderator
Colonial Fleets

Default Review--Star Trek Legacy

VIDEOGAME: STAR TREK: LEGACY
DEVELOPER: MAD DOC SOFTWARE/BEHESDA SOFTWORKS
PUBLISHER: CBS
SYSTEMS: XBOX 360 AND PC (360 VERSION REVIEWED)
RATING: E (EVERYONE for FANTASY VIOLENCE AND MILD LANGUAGE)
NUMBER OF PLAYERS: 1 (2-4 ONLINE)

Graphics: 5/5
Sound: 4.5/5
Control: 3.5/5
Story: 3/5
Endorphin Factor: 3/5
Frustration Factor: 3/5

Scoring system:
Average: 3.6 /5

GAMES IT COULD BE COMPARED TO: STAR TREK BRIDGE COMMANDER, STAR TREK ARMADA

DETAILS: This is the third Star Trek game released from Bethesda and CBS. The first was Star Trek Encounters for the Playstation 2, a very arcadey shoot 'em up. The second was Star Trek Tactical Assault for the Sony PSP and the Nintendo DS; a portable version of Starfleet Command. Now we have what is supposed to be the creme de la creme of the Trek games from this company in the form of Star Trek Legacy, a game which spans all of Star Trek lore, from Enterprise, TOS, TNG, DS9, and Voyager. And I have to say, I'm a bit underwhelmed.

The object of the game is to beat the single player missions with a fleet that you amass throughout the generations. You can switch between individual ships for direct control, or you can command your small fleet to go to a certain point, or engage a certain target.

Graphically, this game is beautiful. The ships are gorgeous and extremely detailed...even moreso than they were on the older PC title Star Trek Bridge Commander (and at the time, those ship meshes were damn sweet!). The nebula and planets look great, and the starbases this time around finally get a good dosage of detail and light. (In Star Trek Tactical Assault, starbases were given minimal detailing). Phasers and photons blaze in this game. And they've covered the gamut of phaser effects from the original series and the Next Generation, right down to the "rapid fire" phasers from Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan. Explosions are pretty nice. Ships break up, and explode with a small shockwave effect (that incidentally does NOT damage nearby ships....hmmmm.)

Sounds and music are also well rendered. Phasers and photons sound like they should. The voice acting from Scott Bakula, William Shatner, Patrick Stewart, Avery Brooks, and Kate Mulgrew (each playing the captains they characterized in their respective shows) varies from tired to enthusiastic (as a result of reading their lines). The music in this game is the same scores that you may have heard if you owned/played Star Trek Encounters and/or Star Trek Tactical Assault. The musical score is beautiful nonetheless, and varies with the intensity of the action on screen.

CONTROL: Ok...here's where we run into the first real hiccup. Sometimes the controls just DON'T wanna work...and it doesn't matter if you've taken damage from enemy fire or not. They sometimes just WON'T respond. It's rare...but it does happen. The ships handle pretty much the way they should, like slow, lumbering capital ships. (Smaller vessels have a bit more maneuverability.) Speed is handled in one of two ways. By tapping the "B" button, you toggle between full impulse power, and all-stop. By tapping "Y", you can enter warp (and exit warp) if conditions permit. You can also plot where you wish to go (as well as your fleet) on the area map. Subsystems targetting....one word....fuggeddaboutit! Even if you do achieve a top phaser lock, you cannot choose which subsystem to attack on an enemy ship, no matter what the game manual tells you....and that sucks! You can also allocate power between the three power usage systems on your ship(s)....weapons, engines, and shields. You can choose to strike a total balance between the three, or between any two, or just slam all power into one subunit.

Also, getting a photon/quantum torpedo lock is spotty at best. It seems that the torpedo tubes have a razor thin firing arc, and it's often difficult to fire off more than one torpedo when you do get that occasional torpedo lock. The nice thing is, for the most part, the torpedoes that you do manage to fire seem to track pretty well.

In Skirmish mode, (single player deathmatch) the most frustrating thing is that you CAN NOT choose which enemy ships you wish to face. Almost by default, whatever ship you pick for yourself, the computer INVARIABLY picks a battleship from whatever era you choose to fight in. (For example, if you choose to fight in the Original series era, and you decide to play a Federation Miranda Class--a cruiser....and you decide you want your enemy to be a Klingon, the AI will automatically pick the Ravenous battleship. That just flat out bites, because a battleship is the most powerful class in this game.) Hopefully, Bethesda will release a patch that corrects some of the oversights I've listed above.

Online multiplayer mode is interesting, and you run into a wide array of tactical styles. Being that this is a niche game, I am not at all surprised that there were so few players online the first night I tried this. Most of the time, they wanted to run single-ship deathmatches (each player commanding a single ship instead of up to four each.) The small group of players I encountered were pretty cool, and had a great sense of humor....hopefully more in the Trek community of gaming are like that. Occasionally, a player would be dropped from the server, and that proved frustrating (for those of us who were able to continue, as well as for the player in question.)

For all the graphical eye candy, and the desire to command a small fleet of ships in a gorgeous 3D space universe, this game leaves MUCH to be desired, and feels as if it were sent out the door only half completed...despite the two or three times it got pushed back. (Almost like the Tomb Raider: Angel of Darkness game.)

BOTTOM LINE: Trekkers/(Trekkies) will probably enjoy this game. I am a Trek fan, and although it didn't quite live up to the press it was getting, it's still a decent Trek game, and hopefully patches will be released to enhance this game to a better level of stature.
Old December 18th, 2006, 05:27 PM   #2
newborn
Bad Email Address

Default star trek legacy

Your review has given me a some pointers to work with. I look forward to playing this. I got the game and was really disappointed when I found out the my graphics card was a limiting factor. I would be curious to know the what kind of system you ran it on and what equipment you have as a baseline.

thanks,

newborn
newborn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 18th, 2006, 06:06 PM   #3
martok2112
Colonial Story Teller

Colonial Fleets

Quote:
Originally Posted by newborn
Your review has given me a some pointers to work with. I look forward to playing this. I got the game and was really disappointed when I found out the my graphics card was a limiting factor. I would be curious to know the what kind of system you ran it on and what equipment you have as a baseline.

thanks,

newborn

Hi, Newborn.

The review I gave was for the Xbox 360 version of the game. I was going to get it for PC, but my RAM is not enough to handle it. (Fracking IGP...ugh!)

So I got it for the system I was going to play it on in the first place, the Xbox 360.

Respectully,
Martok2112
Old December 18th, 2006, 06:46 PM   #4
newborn
Bad Email Address

Default Star trek legacy (PC)

Well I have 1.5 gig of ram with a 128 Meg video card and still had problems. I went and bought a 512 meg with ddr2 to hopefully play the game. We will see after I get it loaded up after Christmas.
newborn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 18th, 2006, 09:40 PM   #5
martok2112
Colonial Story Teller

Colonial Fleets

Quote:
Originally Posted by newborn
Well I have 1.5 gig of ram with a 128 Meg video card and still had problems. I went and bought a 512 meg with ddr2 to hopefully play the game. We will see after I get it loaded up after Christmas.

Seems like no matter how much power you have under the hood, it's always something isn't it?
Old December 19th, 2006, 02:55 PM   #6
martok2112
Colonial Story Teller

Colonial Fleets

UPDATED REVIEW FOR STAR TREK: LEGACY

XBOX 360 VERSION COVERED

PROS: Gorgeous starship and background graphics.
Phasers and photons blaze nicely.
Starship explosions seem to look better on this game as compared to the PC version.
Online multiplayer is fun, especially if you're working in teams against each other.
Voice overs are pretty cool.

KHANS: Occasional framerate stutter.
Skirmish mode is shallow.
Controls can be a bit cumbersome, as they try to squeeze multiple functions into combo button presses.
360 Controller thumbstick buttons are hair triggered, and can sometimes interrupt your attack when you're laying down a solid barrage of fire.
Online multiplayer also has a few quirks.... player dropout, occasional freeze up.

Overall though, this game (360 version) is starting to score some major cool points with me. Hopefully the online multiplayer community will pick up some on this game.