Go Back   Colonial Fleets > REJUVENATION CENTER > Galactica Cafe
Notices
Galactica Cafe A place to socialize and have fun!

Old June 10th, 2004, 03:11 PM   #1
The 14th Colony
Strike Leader

Default The 14th Colony Survey-Part III of III

Here is it, the third act of the 14th Colony Survey series. Mixed in are some questions requiring simple answers, and a few that ask for deep thought. None of them ask for a “Duh, that’s so obvious” response. Like the prior surveys, please copy and paste the questions to your message, so people don’t have to look back at the original questions when they read your answers. Thanks. I hope you enjoy this one.

1- What form of physical contact between friends, family, or spouses do you think the majority of people find most important? Think again. The answer in my mind, IMHO, is not so much pleasure but emotional value.
A) A kiss.
B) A hug.
C) Holding hands.

2- If you could eliminate one thing from the whole wide world that would result in the greatest benefit to mankind, what would it be?
A) Sickness and debilitating diseases.
B) Poverty and starvation.
C) Hatred, intolerance, and indifference.

3- Do you think that our society has advanced in a productive, healthy, conscientious way? Have we really come that far in the last few hundred years? Why or why not?

4- Are you the same person you were when you answered my first survey? I don’t mean your name, DNA, or Social Security number, ect. Your beliefs, ideals, personality, and so on.

5- If you had to evacuate your home in the face of oncoming disaster, aside from loved ones and pets, what three items of particular emotional or symbolic importance would you take with you? What I mean is, what things that mean the most to you as far as your inspiration, your interests, the things that make you or add to what you are, would you take with you if limited to just 3?

6- What films or books, in your opinion, have given a strong message and left an impact on society, either American or worldwide?

7- If you are, or have wanted to be, a screenwriter, name a film that you would have liked to have been involved in because of its uniqueness and/or contradiction to accepted visual styles and methods of storytelling (not the Star Wars saga.). Or in general, for any reason, what film? Why?

8- Your favorite foods, and drinks:

9- Your Top Ten favorite films:

10- Your Top Ten favorite TV shows:

11- Your Top Ten favorite TV personalities, based on their personalities or the character growth you’ve seen in them:

12- Are there any celebrities whom you thoroughly disliked for a long time, only to later start to like them and enjoy their shows, acting, appearances, routine, ect.?

13- What physical aspect or actions, either minor or extreme, of a Star Wars character caught your attention in a way that most people would not notice?

14- Name a personal activity or form of entertainment that you had always looked down upon as obnoxious and infantile, which you are surprised or embarrassed to admit you now enjoy watching or doing?

15- If you could not be of the race, creed, or nationality that you are, what would you have yourself be?

16- Whether or not you saw the Rob Schneider movie The Hot Chick, if you woke up one day and found that you had been transformed into the body of the opposite sex, how would you react? Would you freak out? How would you adapt?

The next two won't be simple. These are the ones you really have to contemplate...

17- Pain is all in the mind. We all know that pain and pleasure, and all of our senses, are how our brain interprets the signals sent by the sense receptors throughout our bodies, which means, from a certain mode of thinking, that all of what we hear, see, feel, taste, enjoy, dislike, are merely how our brain translates the data it receives and are not real. In times of great physical pain, have you ever tried to remind yourself that the pain was not real, that it was merely your brain’s interpretation, and tried to lessen the pain by focusing on separating the brain’s translation of the pain receptors from the wound itself?
Likewise, have you ever listened to music you enjoyed, and really tried to analyze what it was you were enjoying, why you were enjoying it, and how it was making you feel the way you did? Have you ever chewed your food very slowly, pondering why you enjoyed it, how you enjoyed it, and what exactly was “enjoyment”? How about your visual, sensual, and olfactory enjoyments?

18- Michael Corleone said, in Godfather II, “Wealth is just a trick of the rich to keep the poor without it.”
Money makes the world go around. Without it, we couldn’t survive. But we work like dogs and get treated like dogs, by evil bosses who crush us for more money in their bonuses, as ordered by their bosses who do the same to them. Our rents go up or we have trouble making our mortgage, we struggle, and there are many who lost the struggle long ago and are poor and homeless. The more we struggle to buy what we need/want, the more the prices go up and it becomes harder and harder to make ends meet. The more we pay, the more they want; and the more they want, the more we have to make. In many corporations workers are pushed beyond their limits and paid less and given less staff to do more work, in effect crushed by those above them who use them to gain more. Money is saved on payroll and less people have jobs, and managers work harder and get nothing but stress, for the gain of those above them. And the more we struggle, the less we enjoy life in a society ruled by love of money and people intent on crushing others to gain more. But what other choice is there? Can you think of another way for the people of the world to live by, where money is not needed but goods and products are still manufactured and people are able to trade and get what they need to enjoy life without so much struggle and suffering and being taken advantage of by people of power and greed? Could such a world be realistically possible? Is the world as we know it the only way? I am not talking about the Second Coming here or New Jerusalem, for those who have that faith, so please limit your answer or answers to means of human planning and abilities only.

If reincarnation is real, I want to come back as a bowling ball...because that's how I roll.

My Creativity:
https://www.facebook.com/legoshine
My Writing Page:
https://www.facebook.com/pages/InSpi...47884321946870
The 14th Colony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 10th, 2004, 08:23 PM   #2
amberstar
Strike Leader

1- What form of physical contact between friends, family, or spouses do you think the majority of people find most important? Think again. The answer in my mind, IMHO, is not so much pleasure but emotional value.

B) A hug

2- If you could eliminate one thing from the whole wide world that would result in the greatest benefit to mankind, what would it be?

3- Do you think that our society has advanced in a productive, healthy, conscientious way? Have we really come that far in the last few hundred years? Why or why not?
No, I think we have evolved in technology, but have lost a lot too. People or society in general have turned away from what this country was founded on and have become self absorbed to a certain point. I'm not talking about everyone just what I see on a daily basis.
Life is easier but through technology we don't vist people much, we just e mail or use the telephone. Our generation watches the idiot box too much or plays video games. We forgot how to open a book or use our minds to entertain our selves.

4- Are you the same person you were when you answered my first survey? I don’t mean your name, DNA, or Social Security number, ect. Your beliefs, ideals, personality, and so on.
Yes, very much the same

5- If you had to evacuate your home in the face of oncoming disaster, aside from loved ones and pets, what three items of particular emotional or symbolic importance would you take with you? What I mean is, what things that mean the most to you as far as your inspiration, your interests, the things that make you or add to what you are, would you take with you if limited to just 3?

I would take with me the letter my father wrote to me before he passed away, and his masonic bible, the third would be my family photo album.

6- What films or books, in your opinion, have given a strong message and left an impact on society, either American or worldwide?
I think that The Passion of Christ has left a strong impact on people, it is the most moving movie I have ever seen. I always knew the story but you have to see the movie to know what I am talking about.

7- If you are, or have wanted to be, a screenwriter, name a film that you would have liked to have been involved in because of its uniqueness and/or contradiction to accepted visual styles and methods of storytelling (not the Star Wars saga.). Or in general, for any reason, what film? Why?
Have no clue, sorry.......

Food would be any Pasta Drinks Diet soda

"Gone With The Wind" " Frequency"
"A Knights Tale" "Red Dawn"
"Star Wars" "The Ten Commandments"
"Forest Gump" "Robin Hood (Kevin Costner)
"Dirty Dancing" "Casablanca"

Battle Star Galactica West Wing
The Big Valley Jag
CSI Las Vegas Smallville
Stargate SG1 Who's Line Is It
Friends The Dukes of Hazzard

11- Your Top Ten favorite TV personalities, based on their personalities or the character growth you’ve seen in them:
Henery Winkler Burdegess Merdith ( spelling ?)
Harrison Ford Jamie Lee Curtis
Sean Conery Kathrine Hepburn (spelling ?)
Robin Williams Charleston Heston (spelling ?)
Mel Gibson Clark Gable

12- Are there any celebrities whom you thoroughly disliked for a long time, only to later start to like them and enjoy their shows, acting, appearances, routine, ect.?
The ones I didn't like....... I still don't like

13- What physical aspect or actions, either minor or extreme, of a Star Wars character caught your attention in a way that most people would not notice?
Have to think about this one for a while........

14- Name a personal activity or form of entertainment that you had always looked down upon as obnoxious and infantile, which you are surprised or embarrassed to admit you now enjoy watching or doing?
Going Snipe Hunting

15- If you could not be of the race, creed, or nationality that you are, what would you have yourself be?
Good Question, I never thought about this before.
I think I would want to be Native American.

16- Whether or not you saw the Rob Schneider movie The Hot Chick, if you woke up one day and found that you had been transformed into the body of the opposite sex, how would you react? Would you freak out? How would you adapt?
I would FREAK out Big Time!

The next two won't be simple. These are the ones you really have to contemplate...

17- Pain is all in the mind. We all know that pain and pleasure, and all of our senses, are how our brain interprets the signals sent by the sense receptors throughout our bodies, which means, from a certain mode of thinking, that all of what we hear, see, feel, taste, enjoy, dislike, are merely how our brain translates the data it receives and are not real. In times of great physical pain, have you ever tried to remind yourself that the pain was not real, that it was merely your brain’s interpretation, and tried to lessen the pain by focusing on separating the brain’s translation of the pain receptors from the wound itself?
Likewise, have you ever listened to music you enjoyed, and really tried to analyze what it was you were enjoying, why you were enjoying it, and how it was making you feel the way you did? Have you ever chewed your food very slowly, pondering why you enjoyed it, how you enjoyed it, and what exactly was “enjoyment”? How about your visual, sensual, and olfactory enjoyments?
Those are deep thoughts! I have never thought about any of this
Since you brought it up, I think I will try.

18- Michael Corleone said, in Godfather II, “Wealth is just a trick of the rich to keep the poor without it.”
Money makes the world go around. Without it, we couldn’t survive. But we work like dogs and get treated like dogs, by evil bosses who crush us for more money in their bonuses, as ordered by their bosses who do the same to them. Our rents go up or we have trouble making our mortgage, we struggle, and there are many who lost the struggle long ago and are poor and homeless. The more we struggle to buy what we need/want, the more the prices go up and it becomes harder and harder to make ends meet. The more we pay, the more they want; and the more they want, the more we have to make. In many corporations workers are pushed beyond their limits and paid less and given less staff to do more work, in effect crushed by those above them who use them to gain more. Money is saved on payroll and less people have jobs, and managers work harder and get nothing but stress, for the gain of those above them. And the more we struggle, the less we enjoy life in a society ruled by love of money and people intent on crushing others to gain more. But what other choice is there? Can you think of another way for the people of the world to live by, where money is not needed but goods and products are still manufactured and people are able to trade and get what they need to enjoy life without so much struggle and suffering and being taken advantage of by people of power and greed? Could such a world be realistically possible? Is the world as we know it the only way? I am not talking about the Second Coming here or New Jerusalem, for those who have that faith, so please limit your answer or answers to means of human planning and abilities only.
You took my answer and are making me think hard on this one.
We the people in order to form a perfect union........... is there really such a thing?
Human Nature is going to always be against us.... The fact that we always want more than we have.
I think the world could be better, but never completly free from greed or want.
Jonh Lennon's song Imagine comes to mind here.............
----------------------------------------------------------------
Old June 17th, 2004, 12:06 PM   #3
The 14th Colony
Strike Leader

Thank you Amberstar. You're my one and only contributor thus far.

If reincarnation is real, I want to come back as a bowling ball...because that's how I roll.

My Creativity:
My Writing Page:
Old June 17th, 2004, 03:23 PM   #4
amberstar
Strike Leader

No problem wise one, your surveys are always thought provoking and fun!

I'm still thinking about the ones I haven't answered yet......
Old June 17th, 2004, 03:50 PM   #5
Rowan
On Vacation...

Quote:
Originally Posted by The 14th Colony
Thank you Amberstar. You're my one and only contributor thus far.
I'm still working on my answers....
Rowan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 17th, 2004, 06:14 PM   #6
The 14th Colony
Strike Leader

Alrighty then, the Wise One (thanks Amberstar!) shall step forth and answer mightily!

Quote:
1- What form of physical contact between friends, family, or spouses do you think the majority of people find most important? Think again. The answer in my mind, IMHO, is not so much pleasure but emotional value.A) A kiss.B) A hug.C) Holding hands.
Holding hands. We kiss lovers for pleasure and family quickly to say hello/goodbye, but we hold hands a lot longer. A hug gives the same warmth and emotional value as holding another person’s hand, but you can’t do it as long. Spouses, and boyfriends and girlfriends hold hands walking through the park, across town, for that feeling of connection during normal routines. When you greet a bud or a mate, you shake hands. It has meaning. When someone is troubled or afraid, you take his or her hand and hold it. It’s comforting. Parents hold their children’s hands in public for safety, and children become accustomed to their parent’s comforting hand. Sometimes people put their hand on your hand to tell you how nice you are or how much they like you, ect. All in all, it comes down to the touching of hands between people that I think has the greatest emotional, touching, and comforting feeling, and long-lasting value.
Quote:
2- If you could eliminate one thing from the whole wide world that would result in the greatest benefit to mankind, what would it be? A) Sickness and debilitating diseases.B) Poverty and starvation.C) Hatred, intolerance, and indifference.
Hatred, intolerance, and indifference. Without those, there is no war, no racism, no causing or allowing other people to suffer; no ignoring of those in need; no arguments over land, beliefs, race or color; no greed at the expense of others. I’m sure that without C), A) would be lessened and B) would be eliminated altogether. Without C), B) would not be allowed to happen.
Quote:
Every answer I have has a contradiction standing by. The human race is extremely productive in building and expanding and making lives easier, but it also produces pollution and weapons and endless conflicts. Health and medicine has taken enormous leaps and bounds and many illnesses have been cured and wiped out. On the other hand, vast majorities of people takes less care of their bodies and eat, drink, smoke, and live unhealthily. Conscientiously we have come very far from the days when lepers were cast into the wilderness. As compared to thousands and even hundreds of years ago, there are more charities and organizations and causes to help people with their problems, and groups that ensure that those in pain and need are not alone and helpless, than ever before. Yet, despite the charities and help groups and the people who run them, society as a whole is far more rude, inconsiderate, indifferent, greedy, selfish, and at times even murderous than before. This is my opinion, I do not have numbers to back my claim that we’re going downhill in the human soul department, but people can feel it. With exceptions, you can’t rely on or trust people anymore, and you can’t turn your back at work without being back stabbed, or lied to and manipulated right to your face. And then you have sectors of society that haven’t advanced an iota in the last thousand years, who want to fly planes into our buildings and blow themselves up in the street to kill women and babies. The majority of society has come far, but we still have a long way to go. And at this rate every step forward is three steps back.
Quote:
4- Are you the same person you were when you answered 14th’s first survey? I don’t mean your name, DNA, or Social Security number, ect. Your beliefs, ideals, personality, and so on.
Well, when I wrote 14th Colony’s first survey (cause in case ya didn’t know, I’m 14th!), I would not have written my last answer that way. I have clinical depression and as time goes on I get further and further down and notice much more of the negative than the positive in the world. I used to have ups and downs making me really productive during the ups and miserable and lethargic during the downs. I thought at the time I was bi-polar but I don’t show the signs of that anymore. Now I only have downs and never ups. Gee, it would be nice to be bi-polar. At least I would have occasional ups instead of consistent downs.
Quote:
5- If you had to evacuate your home in the face of oncoming disaster, aside from loved ones and pets, what three items of particular emotional or symbolic importance would you take with you; what things that mean the most to you as far as your inspiration, your interests, the things that make you or add to what you are, would you take with you if limited to just 3?
All my drawings from when I was a kid and a teen. I was extremely artistic back then. All my short stories, song lyrics, poems, my finished novel, and all my unfinished book outlines and summaries. My Lego city. It’s the only thing that reminds me of my forgotten talent and potential.
Quote:
American History X, Shindler's List, Roots, Dances With Wolves, Rocky,
Quote:
7- If you are, or have wanted to be, a screenwriter, name a film that you would have liked to have been involved in because of its uniqueness and/or contradiction to accepted visual styles and methods of storytelling (not BSG). Or in general, for any reason, what film? Why?
"Riot". It was a cable TV movie from a few years ago, telling 4 stories during the L.A. riots from the viewpoints of 4 different people. In each story, the 3 other people were seen in the background or foreground at some point, briefly. In another story, telling about one particular person, you don’t realize until the end that he/she was the person you briefly saw in the previous story or the one before that. Suddenly, you find that the background person you caught a glimpse of in a previous story who you didn’t care about, was now important to you. One story was about a Korean shopkeeper. You learn about him and care about him, and when his shop is broken into by a mob and catches fire, you care about him, but not about the unknown man who stupidly runs into the shop seconds before it explodes, killing everyone inside.In another story, you follow through the day a black man, and in another story, a white cop, and in another story you meet a Mexican teen who spends the day with his girlfriend and tries to stop another friend from joining in the looting. At some point a fight breaks out in one store as the owner tries to save his merchandise and then a fire starts. The friend chose that distraction to run in and steal what he could, and the Mexican teen ran in to try to save him from the fire and get him out away from all the trouble. Seconds later, the store exploded. It was a fascinating approach to telling those stories, and I would like to have done it or something similar.
Quote:
Count Chocular cereal, macaroni and cheese, fettuccini alfredo, toasted tuna melts, garlic shrimp with linguini and butter sauce, cheesecake, Golden Grahams cereal, everything bagels w/ cream cheese and loxspread, diet Pepsi, diet A&W Root Beer, milk, Chalupas, tuna fish sandwitches with melted cheese.
Quote:
Star Wars saga (counted as one), Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon, Lord of the Rings (that's right, all 3 counted as one!), True Lies, Dances with Wolves, Rain Man, The Abyss, Lion King, Aliens, Forest Gump.
Quote:
ER, NYPDBlue, Fraser, Seinfeld, Alias, ST:TNG, West Wing, Friends, Everybody Loves Raymond, Las Vegas.
Quote:
11- Your Top Ten favorite TV personalities, and fictional character personalities, based on the growth you’ve seen in the characters:
Sidney Bristow, John Carter, Mark Green, Howie Mandell (when he appears on the Tonight Show), Andy Sipowitz, Dennis Franz (I like not only the character he plays, but the personality of the actor himself), Katie Couric,
Quote:
Pauly Shore, Gilbert Gottfreid, Carrot Top, Christopher Walken. I thought Pauly Shore was obnoxious and annoying, Gilbert Gottfreid was irritating and very unfunny, Carrot Top was annoying in the way he always laughed at his own jokes and his hair was ridiculous and his gags were dumb, and I hated Christopher Walken’s smugness, arrogant voice, and fixed features and expressions. Now I think Gilbert is a witty distraction and amusing, Carrot Top grows on you for some reason and I like his gags, and Christopher Walken is one of my favorite actors and his characters are always devious or intriguing. I still don’t like Shore.

To be continued:

My Creativity:
My Writing Page:
Old June 17th, 2004, 06:15 PM   #7
The 14th Colony
Strike Leader

Quote:
The smooth, confident manner in which Obi-Wan walked in TPM. I sustained a limp on my left leg from a car accident when I was 14 and I was always self-conscious about how I walked around people. The way Obi-Wan walked, in the hanger as he told Panaka that he would deal with freeing the pilots from the battledroids, made me think about how I wished I walked as smoothly and could display such confidence in my intentions.
Quote:
Professional wrestling. I thought it was staged (which we know), obnoxious and infantile, and I thought the wrestlers were overflashy-overappreciated overactors. Now I think it’s funny and fun to watch. I like the Rock and Stone Cold, but my favorite wrestler is Triple H, and I think it’s hilarious when Stephanie McMann gets riled and wild.
Quote:
I think Cuban or Brazilian, but living in the US.
Quote:
I would go find the women who got changed into me and have sex with me.
Quote:
17- Pain is all in the mind. We all know that pain and pleasure, and all of our senses, are how our brain interprets the signals sent by the sense receptors throughout our bodies, which means, from a certain mode of thinking, that all of what we hear, see, feel, taste, enjoy, dislike, are merely how our brain translates the data it receives and are not real. In times of great physical pain, have you ever tried to remind yourself that the pain was not real, that it was merely your brain’s interpretation, and tried to lessen the pain by focusing on separating the brain’s translation of the pain receptors from the wound itself?Likewise, have you ever listened to music you enjoyed, and really tried to analyze what it was you were enjoying, why you were enjoying it, and how it was making you feel the way you did? Have you ever chewed your food very slowly, pondering why you enjoyed it, how you enjoyed it, and what exactly was “enjoyment”? How about your visual, sensual, and olfactory enjoyments?
I didn’t ask about the flavor or texture of a food, or the melody of a piece of music. I referred to your brain’s way of telling you that it was pleasant, and how you interpreted your brain’s conclusions.There have been times when I had agonizing migraines, when I tried to convince myself that the pain was all in my head, which it was, but I couldn’t do it. I know that Tibetan monks and firewalkers somehow managed it, but it didn’t work for me. During the summer I had sliced a small part of my finger and had to have it treated at the hospital. It hurt for weeks afterward. I tried a few times, by sitting quietly and looking at the finger, to persuade my mind that the pain I felt in that finger was not in the finger but was something separate from the finger that could be separated from it. I tried to imagine the pain as a spirit cloud that surrounded the finger, and visualized the cloud being lifted by my thoughts from the finger and cast away. I tried to convince myself that the pain was not real and was only my imagination, but it didn’t work. When I am eating something I do wonder why it tastes good. If I asked the chef he would say because of the nature of the food item and the spices he put on them, but that doesn’t tell me why it was enjoyable to me. Suck on a mint. It tastes good. Why? Because you’re sucking on it? Nope. Because it’s peppermint flavor? Nope. Because you like mints? No, and that adds another question…why do you like them? My uncle cannot taste food. Nor can he smell it, both due to an illness he had when he was a young man, in the days before his illness was understood like it is now. What tastes good to me has no taste whatsoever to him. What tastes bad to me also has no taste whatsoever to him (which made it easy for his wife to cook for him). Getting back to the mint…your taste receptors on your tongue tell your brain what the food feels like to them, and your brain interprets those sensations and you think it tastes good. But why do you think that? How do you think that? Not because of your brain, your tongue, or the flavor of the mint. Forget the tongue, forget the sucking, and forget the peppermint. Focus inside your mind, on your emotions and feelings about things. Why is the mint enjoyable to you? What is “enjoyment”? Why does your mind enjoy, and why does that feel good to you while something bad does not? It's all in your mind. Taste is not real, it is an interpretation. Physical pleasure and pain are not real, they are an interpretation. So how do our thoughts react to them and why do our thoughts give us a pleasurable or unpleasurable feeling? You can be hypnotized to believe that pain is pleasurable, and a stab in the finger with a pin would be enjoyable. But why is a stab in the finger normally unpleasant? Why does a food item give you enjoyment. Is it really truly enjoyment, or really just your brain telling you that its good, like a computer response to a programmed action?
Quote:
18- Michael Corleone said, in Godfather II, “Wealth is just a trick of the rich to keep the poor without it.”Money makes the world go around. Without it, we couldn’t survive. But we work like dogs and get treated like dogs, by evil bosses who crush us for more money in their bonuses, as ordered by their bosses who do the same to them. Our rents go up or we have trouble making our mortgage, we struggle, and there are many who lost the struggle long ago and are poor and homeless. The more we struggle to buy what we need/want, the more the prices go up and it becomes harder and harder to make ends meet. The more we pay, the more they want; and the more they want, the more we have to make. In many corporations workers are pushed beyond their limits and paid less and given less staff to do more work, in effect crushed by those above them who use them to gain more. Money is saved on payroll and less people have jobs, and managers work harder and get nothing but stress, for the gain of those above them. And the more we struggle, the less we enjoy life in a society ruled by love of money and people intent on crushing others to gain more. But what other choice is there? Can you think of another way for the people of the world to live by, where money is not needed but goods and products are still manufactured and people are able to trade and get what they need to enjoy life without so much struggle and suffering and being taken advantage of by people of power and greed? Could such a world be realistically possible? Is the world as we know it the only way? I am not talking about the Second Coming here or New Jerusalem, for those who have that faith, so please limit your answer or answers to means of human planning and abilities only.
The world could become one big kibbutz, but I doubt it would work. I don’t have an answer for this one. That’s why I asked it. =) But believe me, I question the ways of the world all the time. There has to be a better way.

My Creativity:
My Writing Page:
Old June 17th, 2004, 06:44 PM   #8
Dawg
Great Wise Guru

COMMAND INSIGNIAAdmin
ColonialFleets.com
SPECIAL ACHIEVEMENT AWARDCo-Owner
TombsofKobol.com
Owner/Webmaster
DirkBenedictCentral.com
Colonial Fan ForceCo-Founder
Colonial Fan Force

You eat at Noah's, too, huh, 14th?

I am
Dawg

My Places:

DirkBenedictCentral.com, Facebook: Dirk Benedict Central Twitter: @DBCdotCOM Dirk's appearances: Appearances

Tombs of Kobol
Dawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 17th, 2004, 08:52 PM   #9
The 14th Colony
Strike Leader

"Noah's"? Can't say I've heard of such a place. But then, there are a lot of places I've not heard of.

My Creativity:
My Writing Page:
Old June 20th, 2004, 07:08 AM   #10
amberstar
Strike Leader

Thanks for sharing your answers wise one!

Pauly Shore, I love that guy! Guess I grew up in a time that we all thought he was totally cool! Now Carrot top still gets on my nerves......Those AT&T call down the center drive me crazy
I still don't like Roseana, I tried to like her but still find her annoying.

Still can't think of anyone that I didn't like that I do now
Old August 10th, 2004, 12:49 PM   #11
Rowan
On Vacation...

Quote:

A) A kiss.

B) A hug.

C) Holding hands.

B- hugs it’s been shown that hugs can increase brain activity and size, if a child gets 16 hugs a day. and you need 8 a day to meet your emotional needs. I love to hug but most people only give half hugs they don’t let their chests touch they just kind of bend forward a little and tap tap tap with one hand on your back. I like a good bear hug and I like it to last a bit!

B... poverty and starvation lead to sickness and disease and creates hatred through envy

3- Do you think that our society has advanced in a productive, healthy, conscientious way? Have we really come that far in the last few hundred years? Why or why not? This is an essay question but in a nut shell: NO the more "advanced" we've become the more detached we've become from our world. We have lost our understanding of the importance and value of simple things like clean air and water and healthy soil.

4- Are you the same person you were when you answered my first survey? I don’t mean your name, DNA, or Social Security number, ect. Your beliefs, ideals, personality, and so on. Well I haven't seen let alone answered your other surveys but I'm always working on changing and improving myself and hopefully growing as a human being so most probably I have changed somewhat.

5- If you had to evacuate your home in the face of oncoming disaster, aside from loved ones and pets, what three items of particular emotional or symbolic importance would you take with you? What I mean is, what things that mean the most to you as far as your inspiration, your interests, the things that make you or add to what you are, would you take with you if limited to just 3? This has to be one of the most painful questions to answer for me I've been there but having remembered the girl guide motto of "be prepared" I was and had most everything I wanted to rescue in a box by the exit ready to go... The cats were a challenge trying to catch 8 terrified cats was no mean feat I got very badly torn up but I refused to leave anyone behind and everyone was ok. But 3 things only? that is hard there are far more than 3 ...there is the camera my dad gave me, the flute he gave me when I was 13, the wooden chest he made me for my 17th b-day, all the letters my mother has written me over the last 18 years, all my pictures, my fav well thumbed books, the blanket my aunt crochet for me, the blanket my fav aunt gave me before dying of cancer, my teddy bear that I've had since I was born and the other one since I was 10 and saw me through a lot of hard times, my high school year book with all my friends wishes written in it, doilies that friends have made me, my sketch books and diaries, the tea pot cover and the sewing kit my mother made me, the stain glass unicorn my mother made, love letters and home made movies, how the heck can I choose! of course most of what I've mentioned is in the chest my father made me so I could cheat and say I'd take the chest (and it would be filled with all these things )

Any of the religious books like the bible/Koran etc. books/documents written by the great thinkers of their day like Plato, Einstein, Darwin, Galileo, Shakespeare etc. Movies I'll have to think about it..

7- If you are, or have wanted to be, a screenwriter, name a film that you would have liked to have been involved in because of its uniqueness and/or contradiction to accepted visual styles and methods of storytelling (not the Star Wars saga.). Or in general, for any reason, what film? Why? hard to narrow it down to one but I'd pick The bicycle thief (1949) powerful story that brought home to me in a very clear and simple way how something so seemingly inconsequential as a bike could have such monumental importance and make such an impact in a person's life. Everything is relative and everything has value to someone. It also brought home to me how cruel and unfair life can be with it's weird and ironic twists of fate, something I very much identify with. I love the way it explores "the human condition and questions society, family, law enforcement, alliances and mental anguish " I love movies that make me think and question or explore my understanding or my world and I felt this movie did this and I would love to have been apart of it for that reason.

8- Your favorite foods, and drinks: Fav drinks: tea, virgin Cesar’s and virgin chi chi’s, fresh blackberry juice with a touch of sugar and lemon juice...haven! favorite foods: California rolls, shrimp, special breads, Sally Lund bread, lindt chocolate, chocolate cake, "world class" ice cream from baskin and robins, blue, rasp and straw berries, bing cherries, peaches, cantaloupe, exotic potatoes fresh from the garden, salmon candy, salmon, maple syrup, maple sugar, crepes. Cheesecake, after eights, Sea Shells (chocolate) Turtles (chocolate) toblerone, fruit jellies covered in sugar, tootsie rolls

9- Your Top Ten favorite films: This is sooooo hard! ACK! But the movies I watch the most over and over again because I love them so much are: The Big chill, Same time next year, Star Wars, The man from snowy river, A river runs through it, The way we were, Pride and Prejudice, Lord of the Rings, Dirty Dancing, The Terminator.

10- Your Top Ten favorite TV shows: Crap only 10! Reminds me of when I was a kid and my mother would only allow me 30 hours of tv a week! How to pick! But here goes. Nakita, Farscape, Roswell, Wizards and Warriors, ER, The Carol Burnett Show, Firefly, Dawson’s’ Creek, All Creatures Great and Small, The West Wing.

this is all my aching hand can manage for today, to be continued
Old August 10th, 2004, 04:45 PM   #12
The 14th Colony
Strike Leader

You've come far, young padawan. Not much more to go.

My Creativity:
My Writing Page:
Old August 11th, 2004, 11:50 AM   #13
bsg1fan1975
Major

Cool

C) Holding hands.

I think in a way we have advanced more. We know more about certain diseases than we did. Medical knowledge and technology are better than they were.

yes I am.

My wedding photos, my deceased dad's scrapbook and my stuffed animals

Lean on Me with Morgan Freeman

Gods and Generals or Gettysburg. I like history and to me this is almost as good as being in that time period

chocolate, milkshakes

a.) Gods & Generals
b.) Lord of the Rings
c.) Dune
d.) Calendar Girls
e.) Something's Gotta Give
f.) The Muppet Movie
g.) Fiddler on the Roof
h.) Star Wars
i.) Princess Bride
10.) Blazing Saddles

a.) Battlestar Galactica
b.) the A-Team
c.) MacGuyver
d.) Muppet Show
e.) Dr. Quinn, Medicine Woman
f.) Airwolf
g.) V
h.) Knight Rider
i.) Stargate SG1

a.) Richard Hatch
b.) Anne Lockhart
c.) Dirk Benedict
d.) Mr. T
e.) Dwight Schultz
f.) Richard Dean Anderson
g.) Jane Badler
h.) Lorne Greene
I.) Jane Seymour

Eddie Murphy

how a Jedi can be calm in a crisis

watching sports

whatever I would like to be at the time

most defiantely a freak out. I'd end up locked in a loony bin

Yes I tried that after my foot surgery when the pain meds began to wear off.

Most of the time I give it no thought

Money is not that important to me.

(Sorry that it took me a while to finish this but I had to jump offline because of thunderstorms)

Cheese: [has tinfoil on his teeth] I have braces!
Mac: You found that on the ground, didn't you?
Cheese: Garbage can.
-episode "Mac Daddy"Foster's Home for Imaginary Friends"
bsg1fan1975 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 11th, 2004, 06:58 PM   #14
The 14th Colony
Strike Leader

Quote:
Sorry that it took me a while to finish this but I had to jump offline because of thunderstorms)
No worries. At least you came back. If the lightning was so bad, I wouldn't want you to have your comp plugged in and chance getting a power surge.

My Creativity:
My Writing Page:
Old August 11th, 2004, 08:15 PM   #15
Archangel
Bad Email Address

Quote:
Here is it, the third act of the 14th Colony Survey series. Mixed in are some questions requiring simple answers, and a few that ask for deep thought. None of them ask for a “Duh, that’s so obvious” response. Like the prior surveys, please copy and paste the questions to your message, so people don’t have to look back at the original questions when they read your answers. Thanks. I hope you enjoy this one.

A) A kiss.
B) A hug.
C) Holding hands.

Holding hands. It's a form of physical contact that can be comforting and can go on for as long as you like, even in public

C. As much as I hate to say it, the others could never be eliminated

The toys have become more advanced, but the people who use them are no different than those who lived during medieval times. If and when the time comes that we are finished killing each other, then I'll say that we as a people have advanced

Never answered the first survey.

Change of clothes and my photo album. I hate running around town naked (clothes) and as for the photo album, everything else can be replaced except memories. Oops... almost forgot my grandmother's bible

Citizen Kane. That film was ahead of it's time in writing and shooting style

8- Your favorite foods, and drinks: Anything Italian for food. Captain Morgan (rum)is my buddy

Not in any real order:

Star Trek II
Citizane Kane
Hellfighters
Star Trek IV
Star Wars: ANH
Underworld
Big Trouble In Little China
Star Trek: First Contact
The Lost Boys
Highlander

Star Trek
Star Trek:TNG
First Wave
DaVinci's Inquest
Babylon 5
Tom Stone
Highlander
BSG
The Beachcombers
Psi-Factor

Not sure what you mean. Actors or other?

Ben Stiller. No, strike that. I still don't like him

Chewie's fur is actually kind of thin

Can't think of any. the more infantile, the better

15- If you could not be of the race, creed, or nationality that you are, what would you have yourself be? Italian... Good food

Freak Out. Then bwecome the busiest lesbian around

On occasion I try to analyze experiences with senses besides vision or sense of touch. but to refect on why I enjoy something? Not really

As long as humanity is dead-set on the aquisition of wealth, we will always have homelessness or other unfortunate ways of life. I find the big joke in the way we live is that we strive for things that are altogether unimportant. Such as status.
Archangel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 11th, 2004, 08:47 PM   #16
The 14th Colony
Strike Leader

Quote:
I find the big joke in the way we live is that we strive for things that are altogether unimportant. Such as status.
Word.

My Creativity:
My Writing Page:
Old August 12th, 2004, 12:41 AM   #17
Rowan
On Vacation...

11- Your Top Ten favourite TV personalities, based on their personalities or the character growth you’ve seen in them: Pacey Witter (Dawson's creek), Nakita (Nakita) Nurse McMurphy (China Beach), C.J. and President Bartlett (The West Wing) Aeryn Sun and Pa'u Zotoh Zhaan ( Farscape) Jean Luc Picard (you know) Duncan McLeod (Highlander the series) Julia Sugarbaker (Designing Women) Maxine Gray ( Judging Amy) there are many more...

Marilyn Manson really came to like and respect him after hearing him interviewed numerous times.

I've never really discussed Star Wars with others so I don't know if they saw what I saw. Being I am female I noticed the emotional stuff over the Physical LOL! I love the complete and utter trust that exists between Han Solo and Chewbacca there is never a doubt in either’s mind that the other wont be there for them, loved that.

I guess to a degree food fights hated them in high school but have come to enjoy whipped cream fights lol!

15- If you could not be of the race, creed, or nationality that you are, what would you have yourself been?
The Navajo nation has always intrigued me, or Spanish.

This would be a dream come true I would soooo love it and take advantage of it in every way imaginable LOL!

ok once again reached my limit for my hand today
Old August 12th, 2004, 01:14 AM   #18
Archangel
Bad Email Address

Take your time, you're almost there.
Archangel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 12th, 2004, 01:31 AM   #19
Rowan
On Vacation...

thanks for the encouragement it was mostlty hunt and peck with one hand lol
Old August 12th, 2004, 03:42 AM   #20
bsg1fan1975
Major

The question about money intrigued me. Like I said in my response it doesn't mean a thing to me. I don't worship money. Sure it helps in life but you can't take it with you when you die.

Cheese: [has tinfoil on his teeth] I have braces!
Mac: You found that on the ground, didn't you?
Cheese: Garbage can.
-episode "Mac Daddy"Foster's Home for Imaginary Friends"
bsg1fan1975 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 12th, 2004, 05:56 PM   #21
martok2112
Colonial Story Teller

FORUM STAFFFleet Moderator
Colonial Fleets

Default Martok the Guinea Pig

Quote:

C) Holding hands. A hug and holding hands are probably the two most sustainable forms of affection between two people on an emotional level...but I would have to say that holding hands is the most viable of the two. (It's not quite so smothering either.)

C) Hatred, intolerance, and indifference. Because once you eliminated this, I think the other two choices would fall into play a lot easier.

Well.....some of our hatred, intolerance, and indifference has subsided much over the last few centuries. However, it is going at a relatively slow crawl...so it will be a lot more time before we actually attain true enlightenment to the level of Star Trek's future. Now, impositions on society like "political correctness" are part of what's really holding us back. It is because of this imposition by "bleeding hearts" that gives the rest of us a serious indignation. We do NOT need to be told how to be polite to someone else. Politeness is a state of mind and action, not a manifesto of behavior.

I never got to see your first to surveys, but I feel the same as I always have.

Well, considering that I live by myself...I have no loved ones to take with me. As for what I would take?
1. My computer. It is the loom upon which I weave my dreams, desires, and other such lofty descriptions of creativity. (To paraphrase Sting.) It is also my most constant means of communication.
2. My Playstation 2 with it's complete gear. It is the only other form of entertainment I have.
3. Any hardcopy pictures of my friends and family. Those are IRREPLACEABLE!

Certainly not "Farenheit 9/11". That movie just shows that Miichael Moore is as pompous an ass as the politicians he tries to "blow the cover" on.

Now for a real answer:
I cannot answer in the way of books really, simply because I mostly read mainstream sci-fi, or fanciful fiction like Harry Potter. However, if I were to pick the Harry Potter series as an impact on children worldwide...Children have a Hero that they can look up to. In the end, Harry always does the right thing, often at great personal sacrifice. No truer friend hath a man then he who would lay down his life for another.

INDEPENDENCE DAY-- Many people might pan that movie, but I thoroughly loved it. It is exactly the kind of story I like to write...about the world coming together to fight a common foe. Putting aside our petty differences to defeat the single greatest threat to the human race. I guess that's part of why I wrote "Battlestar Galactica: Dark Exodus"

Food: Lasagna-- HANDS DOWN! Favorite drinks: Non-alcoholic: Dr.Pepper Alcoholic: TEQUILA!

In no particular order:

1. The Harry Potter series of movies
2. The Star Wars movies
3. The Star Trek series
4. Heartbreak Ridge
5. Spinal Tap
6. Rob Roy
7. Blazing Saddles
8. Independence Day
9. Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory
10. The Frisco Kid

1. Star Trek (Deep Space Nine over all the other Treks)
2. Classic Battlestar Galactica
3. New Battlestar Galactica
4. NYPD Blue
5. Law and Order (Original and SCU)
6. Judging Amy
7. South Park
8. The Simpsons
9. M.A.S.H.
10. Buffy the Vampire Slayer

1. Worf of TNG/DS9
2. Seven of Nine of Voyager
3. Judge Amy Gray
4. The entire M.A.S.H. unit througout the run of their show.
5. Willow of Buffy the Vampire Slayer (As well as Alyson Hannigan herself as an actress and a person)
6. Captain Jean-Luc Picard
7. Captain Apollo (both)
8. Lt. Starbuck (both)
9. Buffy from Buffy the Vampire Slayer
10. Cordellia from Buffy the Vampire Slayer (rarely watched Angel)

Jim Carrey, HANDS DOWN. I did not like him at all at first. But I would have to say that the movie that ultimately turned me around, and made me a fan of his was "Liar! Liar!"

I have always been told that I have the demeanor (physically and aspect wise) of Han Solo. A friend of mine from a long time ago said I ran EXACTLY like Han Solo did. And, in my NJROTC unit in high school. everyone started using /or assigning Star Wars names to the cadets. I found it flattering that everyone unanimously gave me the name Han Solo. and I didn't even know of their little Star Wars kick at the time...because I spoke my mind about the lackadaisical way the unit was ran, and preferred to keep on the outer periphery of things, the way Han did with the Rebellion in Episodes IV and V. They also attributed it to my rather rogue leadership style...keeping in general decorum, but going my own rough cut way.

Getting Drunk.

Scottish......If it ain't Scottish, it's Crrrrrrrrrrrrrrap!

LOL! First, I would freak! And then, if I did look hot....I'd probably feel myself up. But then, I'd want to go back to being a guy, because I don't relish the idea of kissing a guy.

There have been many instances where I have had to shut out the pain in my mind. Most especially as a singer. I had incurred quite a bit of pain after a nite of drinking a whole bottle of Monte Alban Tequila in 90 minutes. The next day, I had the hangover from Hades...and I was in a lot of pain. A LOT. And I had to perform. I had to put the pain, and the sluggishness out of my mind as best I could. Well, I did manage to perform at about 90%....but I had slight hindrances.

In my younger days, as a soldier in the US Army, my platoon was playing "flag football". (The command staff wouldn't let us play full contact.) I had fallen at one point, and hurt my leg pretty darned bad. I sat out for about a quarter, and then hobbled back onto the field. My platoon sergeant was incredulous, and she asked me: "Dunlap,. what do you think you're doing?!" I replied: "I want revenge, Sarge." with a rather determined look in my eye. She stepped aside most gingerly, and let me back in the game. I played the rest of the game, forgetting about my injury. By the time all was said and done, the one story that was circling around the entire barracks for the next two days was how a lowly PFC like me intimidated our Special Forces First Sergeant. Throughout the game. (Not my Platoon Sergeant...my First Sergeant!)

Nope. Enjoyment is a purely emotional thing. If I were to sit down and analyze it...what would be the point?

I have always believed that the whole money factor probably started out as simple compensation for services rendered from one person to another. Eventually, gold and its values came into play, and thus became a bargaining chip to acquire services, or perhaps for one to offer better services than they would normally provide....and in turn, such monies would get them what they need. I think, in time, money became a vicious cycle. Ultimately, he who had the gold, made the rules.

Sometimes, I think that if humanity as a whole were to rebel against economy (don't ask me how, or who'd be crazy enough to do it), then perhaps everyone else would see the light of such perceived madness....and then, people would start doing things for others, simply for their own personal growth (not GAIN...growth) as a human being.

For now though, it is the monetary currency of the world that makes it go round. A sad statement, but an immutable truth.

Now...where do I get paid for taking this survey?

Respectfully,
Martok2112 Just put the money here--------.>
P.S. I did copy and paste the questions...but I had to delete them to fit the answer into the character limits of the post.

Last edited by martok2112; August 12th, 2004 at 05:57 PM.. Reason: Addendum..in the endum
martok2112 is offline   Reply With Quote