Go Back   Colonial Fleets > BATTLESTAR GALACTICA DISCUSSION AREA > The Last Battlestar......Galactica!
Notices
The Last Battlestar......Galactica! For discussions about the ORIGINAL series
What Dreams May Come!

Old August 14th, 2009, 05:31 AM   #421
peter noble
Strike Leader

Colonial Fan ForceCo-Founder
Colonial Fan Force
COMMAND INSIGNIACo-Owner
TombsofKobol.com

Default Re: Battlestar Galactica to the Big Screen?

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwoBrainedCylon View Post
Just as Ron did what he wanted, Singer and DeSanto are going to do what they want.
That's Singer and Larson. As far as know, DeSanto isn't in the frame.

Best,

Peter
Old August 14th, 2009, 06:50 AM   #422
Kronus
CDR Kronus' Grandson

OMGs I just had a huge BSG gazim! *eyes rolling back*

Ahhh man! This is SOOOOOOOO awesome! I have to have my warrior uniform ready for this! Those of you in the Blackstar Squadron...if you have not been motivated to get your uniform done, this should put you in OVERDRIVE!

We must all go to these sites and vote and make comments...(if you have not done so already)

WOOOO HOOOO! Now where are my Fumarellos and that case of our finest ambrosia, I want to celebrate! And poo poo on you pessimists...even if this should tank (the gods forbid) it doesn't change the fact that I am ecstatic about this right now.
Galactica the Movie is coming soon!
Kronus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 14th, 2009, 07:57 AM   #423
JLHurley
Warrior

Default Just Announced: NEW BATTLESTAR GALACTICA theatrical film!

From NEWSARAMA:

"And speaking of Bryan Singer, Variety also reported Thursday that Universal has tabbed him to direct and produce a Battlestar Galactica big-screen feature.

The studio is indicating the film will be a "complete reimagination" and not a continuation of the SyFy Channel television series and it is not clear whether the series' executive producer Ronald Moore will be involved in the project.

Glen Larson will produce."

http://www.newsarama.com/film/090814...ne-sequel.html
Old August 14th, 2009, 08:04 AM   #424
JLHurley
Warrior

Default Re: Just Announced: NEW BATTLESTAR GALACTICA theatrical film!

And here's a link to the Variety article:

http://www.variety.com/article/VR111...goryid=13&cs=1

This is exciting news--and I'm betting Moore will have NOTHING to do with this project. I'm guessing Singer and Larson will be retelling (and recasting) the original story more true to the original series. I sure hope Stu Phillips provides the music. He was well over 50% of what made BG so great, IMO.
Old August 14th, 2009, 08:17 AM   #425
Charybdis
Battlestar Callisto

Default Re: Just Announced: NEW BATTLESTAR GALACTICA theatrical film!

One thing I do'nt like about this is that it says once again that it will be a "complete reimagining." As if we haven't had enough reimaginings before!!!

But according to what almost came before, the Singer/DeSanto project was a whole lot closer to the original. Let's hope.

http://bscallisto.proboards.com/index.cgi
Charybdis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 14th, 2009, 09:01 AM   #426
spcglider
Squadron Leader

Yeah, yeah, yeah. I came back in like the prodigal son to see what the skinny was on this new film rumor.

So... nice to see everybody back at Fleets. Good to have a home to come back to!

-Gordon
Old August 14th, 2009, 09:33 AM   #427
KJ
Strike Leader

Agreed!

Nice to see you around too Spcglider.

We all have something in common when news like this breaks!

Indeed.

Like i said though, hope the 'third time's a charm'. And this is really happening down the road at some time. Unlike the 2001 TV pilot, Fox ain't gonna tap Singer on the shoulder this time to go prep a movie instead.

THIS IS THE FRICKKIN "MOVIE" this time!

KJ
Old August 14th, 2009, 02:58 PM   #428
jewels
Stablemaster, Livery Ship

FORUM STAFFFleet Modertor
Colonial Fleets

I hope Tom's involved. It would satisfy my sense of justice if he got a second chance, along with Bryan and Glen.

I don't mind if they retell the original pilot story. I do want the original ship designs (at least exteriors), I want real heroes (the originals did have flaws—they just weren't so dysfunctional that the dysfunction was the central story. I want a story with faith and hope, honor and the self-sacrifice of doing the right thing.

"May have been the losing side. Still not convinced it was the wrong one." Malcolm Reynolds [/color]

"We don't dictate to countries, we liberate countries." Mitt Romney [/color]
jewels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 14th, 2009, 04:10 PM   #429
Reaper
Warrior ACE!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kronus View Post
Ahhh man! This is SOOOOOOOO awesome! I have to have my warrior uniform ready for this! Those of you in the Blackstar Squadron...if you have not been motivated to get your uniform done, this should put you in OVERDRIVE!

We must all go to these sites and vote and make comments...(if you have not done so already)
I'm with you there! I'm going to have my Warrior's Costume and my girl's Bridghe officer costume done in time to support the movies!

Most definately!!!

Classic fan, and die hard!
Reaper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 14th, 2009, 06:44 PM   #430
Tibbetts
Warrior

I'm looking forward to this movie. I hope it is really made this time.

-Tibbetts
Old August 14th, 2009, 07:17 PM   #431
Eric Paddon
Squadron Leader

I'll repeat myself again regarding what I said some months ago. If this comes off and its just a remake of the pilot "done right" then forget it. I'm not interested in anything other than closure to the original *STORYLINE* of the original series because telling the same old story again is "been there, done that" for me. My patience as a Galactica fan all these decades stemmed from a desire to the see the storyline concluded, and if that's left hanging for good then there's nothing for me to enjoy even if the approach is better that that other entity.
"They hate us with every fiber of their being. We love....freedom, independence, the right to question. To them it is an alien way of living."-The non-myopic wisdom of Commander Adama, "Saga Of A Star World"

"How do you tell a Communist? Well, it's someone who reads Marx and Lenin. And how do you tell an anti-Communist? It's someone who understands Marx and Lenin."-Ronald Reagan
Eric Paddon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 14th, 2009, 11:05 PM   #432
jjrakman

Thought some of you might enjoy this...

http://leegoldberg.typepad.com/a_wri...oron-now-.html
Old August 15th, 2009, 12:25 AM   #433
michaelfaries
Great Honored Warrior (ret.)
BG Fandom Leader (ret.)

SPECIAL ACHIEVEMENT AWARDFather of BG websites
BattlestarGalactica.com(ret)
BattlestarPegasus.com(ret)

Cool Re: Battlestar Galactica to the Big Screen?

Hey fellow Warriors,

It's ironic, as I said back in 2003 as I parted from full-time BSG webmastering and communications works, that the only thing that would draw me back in would be a production by Tom (or Bryan/Tom), Richard and/or Glen.

Looks like we have Glen and Bryan at the point. And it's both green-lit and going into pre-production. $10m US doesn't get paid to an A-list Hollywood director for a simple pitch; this baby is really rolling forward!

I think it's obvious that "Star Trek" (2009) was the catalyst for this new production endeavor. Except we're going to see a far greater reimagining of the original BSG series. New actors, bigger "better" action, etc.

Except I honestly believe we're going to see lasers, not bullets. "Felgercarb!" and "Frack!" Fumarellos, microns, and yahren. Renewed focus on the ancient astronauts and mythological lore. "Life here began out there..."

All the good stuff, repackaged into a new epic (EPIC!) motion picture. And hopefully planned as a true saga with a handful of productions.

And damn it all, I want a continuation. I want Richard, Dirk, Anne, Laurette, Jack, Herb... ALL of the actors able/willing to return. I doubt it, though. Even for Dirk, with whom Glen has a special place in his heart. Knowing Bryan from the previous production effort, he's going to be hellbent to make this HIS production. That means starting over. Same with Glen.

Where's Tom?

As I've discussed with a few folks, not everyone tosses their name out there. Some prefer to wait until the contracts are signed. Some understand the power plays of Hollywood and stay out of the limelight (although they're doing the lion's share of the heavy lifting). Tom was involved in both "Transformers" movies, yet wasn't at the forefront of the interviews, nor making vocal statements. Michael Bay (like Bryan) was the "brand" that is being spotlighted, even over Steven Spielberg's direct involvement in the production. I wish Tom would push harder, but that's his choice. (I'm ever curious what WME's (William Morris Endeavor's) instructions are in that regard...)

Tom - We know you used to read CF. And we have the highest regard for you. Hope you can leverage the site if you're on the production. We want to hear from you directly.

I still remember Bryan sanctioning the various "Superman Returns" websites to cover aspects on that production. Brilliant stuff, great marketing, fantastic content. One HOPES we'll see that again. After all, that's what many of us did to put BSG back on the radar with Richard's efforts all those yahren ago.

I'm soooo looking forward to what develops here. Continuation or complete reimagining (can't believe I'm saying that), we have our last chance, imho, to see something of the BSG TOS universe in action again. What a GREAT time for BSG!!

Michael
Old August 15th, 2009, 12:39 AM   #434
michaelfaries
BG Fandom Leader (ret.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjrakman View Post
Thought some of you might enjoy this...

http://leegoldberg.typepad.com/a_wri...oron-now-.html
I HAD to respond.
Old August 15th, 2009, 12:51 AM   #435
peter noble
Strike Leader

Colonial Fan ForceCo-Founder
Colonial Fan Force
COMMAND INSIGNIACo-Owner
TombsofKobol.com

Chris Pappaas has this to say at Resin Illuminati:

Quote:
My sources say that the production of this project is iffy at best. Singer was attached to the project in hopes to get approval from the suits later.

The guy in charge of the project thinks it will most likely never fly, saying that the #1 at Universal will never approve a Galactica movie since everybody at Universal thinks Galactica was a two bit show on the Sci-Fi Channel and it has little to no fanbase compared to properties like Star Trek or Star Wars, which according to the Universal source, are already very problematic to get approved. He added UCS will never put up the $150 million budget for this, since "Battlestar Galactica" is a horrible name for a movie.

Even so, multiple scripts will be written and polished. It will neither be original series, nor new series, nor the DeSanto/Singer old version. They’ll get a new writer and new storyline.

Disparaging things were said about DeSanto along the way, like that he was whiney and that Moore never stole his version or ideas. He added that DeSanto was paid by Studios USA to develop BSG for Fox, i.e., anything he came up with was bought and paid for.

Regarding the Studios USA Galactica project, it was said that when Singer left to do X2, they thought DeSanto didn’t have enough weight to carry something that big, i.e., a $100 million back-door pilot.

Studios USA then took their property and ideas and tried selling it to other studios none of which were interested in making something this big with a minor director like DeSanto, so Studios USA ended up with a minor broadcasting company (Sci-Fi Channel) who was willing to take a huge leap in doing this backdoor pilot with a $10 million budget, but wanted their main guy David Eick on it. Eick didn’t want to work with DeSanto either since he had no experience in making good sci-fi television and was basically a movie director used to working with big movie budgets instead of the much smaller Sci-Fi Channel TV budget. He feared it would get out of hand, especially later going into series, and got Ron Moore to join him since he had a good reputation from doing Star Trek TNG, which was a decent sci-fi series made within a tight budget.

DeSanto was pissed that they booted him and has been ever since. It was said that DeSanto would now probably try like hell to join Singer on this one, but that would only make things worse in never getting this movie done properly.

Glen Larson? The moniker "senile old fool" was applied and it was said that he has now sold the BG name to Universal and he was only mentioned in earlier news bulletins because contractually he needed to be mentioned. Larson won’t have ANYTHING to do with this new movie, simple because Universal will never let him write a single line for a script or even assist on producing it, other than a name credit similar to the one on the new series.

Chris
http://www.resinilluminati.com/showt...234#post137234
Old August 15th, 2009, 01:00 AM   #436
jjrakman

Oh dear god.

http://justjared.buzznet.com/2009/08...tar-galactica/
Old August 15th, 2009, 02:34 AM   #437
monolith21
Squadron Leader

I'm sure we'll hear many more rumors like that before this thing goes into production. Many mud balls will be thrown by the naysayers. Chins up people this is good news!

Lt. Killian
Blackstar Squadron
"The Fighting Faithful"

"Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one."
-Albert Einstein
monolith21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 15th, 2009, 10:26 AM   #438
KJ
Strike Leader

Mr Faries!!!

You sound so much like i use to with that postive statement about wanting a BSG movie! Welcome back, you've been sorely missed aorund here the most, same goes for you Jjrakman my good man! Maybe Raymar3rd around the corner too...

So this thumbs out for him just in case

Nice to know the old gang came out when news like this breaks.

Far as what Chris Pappass had to say about what the studio thinking?

Bun them!

Feh.... Nice to know studio execs will never get it, EVER, studios never want to give their audiences what they truly want. But of course some dickhead think he knows what i'm into rather than ask? Yeah and i suppose simply cos Star Wars and Star Trek were successful productions in their own right, that they alone represent "ALL OF" science fiction by themselves, right?!

(Sarcastic) Riiiiiiiiightttttttttttt!!!!!!!!!!!!

And what does that studio guy think of names like 'Macross/Robotech', 'Neon Genesis Evangelion', 'Battle Angel', and a ton of other names of productions quite possibly on the way in the next 5 or 6 years to come!

Hmmm. So unless your Peter Jackson, Steven Spielberg, or Francis Ford Coppola. You get treated like the late Rodney Dangerfield i.e. No Respect in hollywood. Yeah i guess making a movie is so easy huh. And basically before hand, if DeSanto ideas were bought and paid for, then did Ronald D Moore not retool the "Pre-existing" ideas off of somebody himself and not come up with his actual own concepts for 4 years.

Hence stolen or plagiarized off of another writer's/author's work! (duh!!!)

* Female President of the Colonies/12 tribes

* Turmoil in the fleet

* Cylon/Human Hybrids

* Updated Vipers

Hmmm, remember 2001's Singer/DeSanto beautiful incarnation planning all that out in its concepts and having all of that worked out, long before Sci-Fi's abomination *cough* er.. TV series attempt!

If DeSanto ideas were bought and paid for, then you still blatantly own him 'Paychecks' (With US dollar 'interest' Pre-Credit Crunch) for 4 seasons worth of altered/mutilated and switched around ideas then!

I could go on. Anyways nice seeing you back here Michael, god bless you!

KJ

P.S.

Lee Goldberg hasn't changed has he? Still got a face most people would slap the *crap* out of!

Old August 15th, 2009, 10:32 AM   #439
Creep
Shuttle Pilot

This new Singer's movie is probably be even more gayer than RDM's BSG, because Singer is gay and he makes gay movies.

Just take his last movie "Valkyrie" (2008) half of the movie was closeups on Tom Cruise's ass

Creep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 15th, 2009, 10:44 AM   #440
KJ
Strike Leader

What's gayer still, is that you took the time to post a picture to make your point. Sometimes just stating your point is enough, going so far to show it kinda puts to bed the question of why your obsessing over the word gay so much, Bryan's sexuality and Tom Cruise's ass etc.

Rolls eyes!

You've certainly got the right username haven't you!

KJ
Old August 15th, 2009, 11:41 AM   #441
BST
Snowball, My Angel Baby

COMMAND INSIGNIAAdmin
Colonial Fleets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Creep View Post
This new Singer's movie is probably be even more gayer than RDM's BSG, because Singer is gay and he makes gay movies.

Just take his last movie "Valkyrie" (2008) half of the movie was closeups on Tom Cruise's ass
Whether you appreciate his work or not, Bryan Singer is a well-respected director in the film industry and on this website.

Coincident with the open-minded attributes employed by many of our members, his "preference" makes no difference.
You have come to journey's end
Sleep now
And dream of the ones who came before
They are calling
From across the distant shore .

Children are a message that we send
to a time that we will never see.
BST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 15th, 2009, 01:51 PM   #442
Gemini1999
Strike Leader

FORUM STAFFFleet Moderator
Colonial Fleets

Quote:
Originally Posted by BST View Post
Whether you appreciate his work or not, Bryan Singer is a well-respected director in the film industry and on this website.

Coincident with the open-minded attributes employed by many of our members, his "preference" makes no difference.
Pete -

Thanks for that - it was very well worded. I'd like to add a few of my own as well. As somone that is a member of the gay community, I find the description of Bryan Singer's work as "gay". I've seen every one of his movies. I've like some and others not so much, but I didn't know of Singer's sexuality until well after I've seen most of them.

That being said, he is indeed very talented and I've never seen his films to be works that were characterized in any way as have just been described by Creep.

Bryan

"If you love long enough, wish hard enough, anything is possible" - From The Boy Who Could Fly
Gemini1999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 15th, 2009, 02:11 PM   #443
monolith21
Squadron Leader

I don't give a frack who he's attracted to. His movies are far more hit than miss. The Usual Suspects...X-Men and the AMAZING X-Men 2...Superman Returns (yeah, I dig it a lot)...Apt Pupil...and of course House which is a great show!

Wait does this mean a lot of naysaying creeps are going to show up now to give us crap? This place has been so peaceful...lol.

Lt. Killian
Blackstar Squadron
"The Fighting Faithful"

-Albert Einstein
Old August 15th, 2009, 02:59 PM   #444
BST
Snowball, My Angel Baby

COMMAND INSIGNIAAdmin
Colonial Fleets

Quote:
Originally Posted by monolith21 View Post
I don't give a frack who he's attracted to. His movies are far more hit than miss. The Usual Suspects...X-Men and the AMAZING X-Men 2...Superman Returns (yeah, I dig it a lot)...Apt Pupil...and of course House which is a great show!

Wait does this mean a lot of naysaying creeps are going to show up now to give us crap? This place has been so peaceful...lol.

Monolith,

Hold your head high. Don't give in to the dark side.

Don't worry about the naysayers. The entire staff, here, has been through the fires of hell with regards to another show about a battlestar. There's not a whole lot that we haven't seen .... or heard .... or said.

As with time and gas, this too, will pass.

You have come to journey's end
Sleep now
And dream of the ones who came before
They are calling
From across the distant shore .

Children are a message that we send
to a time that we will never see.
BST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 15th, 2009, 03:40 PM   #445
jjrakman

Hey, I liked Valkyrie!
Old August 15th, 2009, 06:54 PM   #446
monolith21
Squadron Leader

Thanks for that BST!!! I will take that advice to heart. I think I will watch Valkyrie tonight in celebration of this great news!!!

Lt. Killian
Blackstar Squadron
"The Fighting Faithful"

-Albert Einstein
Old August 15th, 2009, 07:07 PM   #447
michaelfaries
BG Fandom Leader (ret.)

Cool Re: Battlestar Galactica to the Big Screen?

Quote:
Originally Posted by monolith21 View Post
Thanks for that BST!!! I will take that advice to heart. I think I will watch Valkyrie tonight in celebration of this great news!!!
I'll second that. Great idea!

Btw, I've noticed a lot of anti-gay statements on AICN... and now it's "creep"ing over here. Who cares if Bryan is homosexual? Who cares if we see additional derriere shots in a movie? Solid storytelling and filmmaking rules the day. "Valkyrie" did deliver.

Michael

P.S. Hey KJ!!
Old August 15th, 2009, 07:11 PM   #448
dilbertman
Warrior Ace

Quote:
Originally Posted by michaelfaries View Post
Hey fellow Warriors,

It's ironic, as I said back in 2003 as I parted from full-time BSG webmastering and communications works, that the only thing that would draw me back in would be a production by Tom (or Bryan/Tom), Richard and/or Glen.

Michael
Hey Michael

I hear Richard is looking for a new Webmaster for all his sites. Maybe you can get your old job back.

Jim
dilbertman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 15th, 2009, 08:39 PM   #449
jewels

Colonial Fleets

Quote:
Originally Posted by BST View Post

Thank you for saying that so clearly and well. I get too peeved when I see someone say something so derogatory about someone else. Singer is indeed a good and talented director, just as Ian McKellen is an excellent and talented actor. Their preference makes no difference in the skills that flicker across the big screen. I'd list others but it is late, I'm tired.

I've never been a "bun" sort of woman, but I think Tom Cruise grew buns (thinking of the Risky Business days), if that wasn't a second unit shot of someone else.

"May have been the losing side. Still not convinced it was the wrong one." Malcolm Reynolds [/color]

Old August 15th, 2009, 08:49 PM   #450
jewels

Colonial Fleets

Quote:
Originally Posted by michaelfaries View Post
Hey fellow Warriors,

Looks like we have Glen and Bryan at the point. And it's both green-lit and going into pre-production. $10m US doesn't get paid to an A-list Hollywood director for a simple pitch; this baby is really rolling forward!

I think it's obvious that "Star Trek" (2009) was the catalyst for this new production endeavor. Except we're going to see a far greater reimagining of the original BSG series. New actors, bigger "better" action, etc.

Except I honestly believe we're going to see lasers, not bullets. "Felgercarb!" and "Frack!" Fumarellos, microns, and yahren. Renewed focus on the ancient astronauts and mythological lore. "Life here began out there..."

All the good stuff, repackaged into a new epic (EPIC!) motion picture. And hopefully planned as a true saga with a handful of productions.

And damn it all, I want a continuation. I want Richard, Dirk, Anne, Laurette, Jack, Herb... ALL of the actors able/willing to return. I doubt it, though. Even for Dirk, with whom Glen has a special place in his heart. Knowing Bryan from the previous production effort, he's going to be hellbent to make this HIS production. That means starting over. Same with Glen.

Where's Tom?

As I've discussed with a few folks, not everyone tosses their name out there. Some prefer to wait until the contracts are signed. Some understand the power plays of Hollywood and stay out of the limelight (although they're doing the lion's share of the heavy lifting). Tom was involved in both "Transformers" movies, yet wasn't at the forefront of the interviews, nor making vocal statements. Michael Bay (like Bryan) was the "brand" that is being spotlighted, even over Steven Spielberg's direct involvement in the production. I wish Tom would push harder, but that's his choice. (I'm ever curious what WME's (William Morris Endeavor's) instructions are in that regard...)

Tom - We know you used to read CF. And we have the highest regard for you. Hope you can leverage the site if you're on the production. We want to hear from you directly.

I still remember Bryan sanctioning the various "Superman Returns" websites to cover aspects on that production. Brilliant stuff, great marketing, fantastic content. One HOPES we'll see that again. After all, that's what many of us did to put BSG back on the radar with Richard's efforts all those yahren ago.

I'm soooo looking forward to what develops here. Continuation or complete reimagining (can't believe I'm saying that), we have our last chance, imho, to see something of the BSG TOS universe in action again. What a GREAT time for BSG!!

Michael
((((Michael))))
Hoping you and yours are doing well. I'm glad there was a reason for you to come back. Great to see you about again.

I'm cautious (if Tom were named at the offset my caution would be gone) but optimistic. Funny how meeting someone and hearing them talk about their love of your favorite show can make you really want them to be on the team that succeeds with it. Time will tell.

Jewels