Go Back   Colonial Fleets > ALTERNATE UNIVERSES > Miscellaneous Entertainment
Notices
Miscellaneous Entertainment Talk about any other shows not covered by other forums.

Old December 24th, 2003, 12:27 PM   #1
peter noble
Strike Leader

Colonial Fan ForceCo-Founder
Colonial Fan Force
COMMAND INSIGNIACo-Owner
TombsofKobol.com

Default My wish for 2004:

Die Star Trek die!

I'm sick of your tired pseudo-communist claptrap masquerading as good science fiction.

Peter

P.S. Dr Who rules!
Old December 25th, 2003, 04:28 PM   #2
Bijou88

Dear Peter,

Rest assured, Star Trek is dead. It has been in the grave for a decade. What is on the air now is mearly post mortem nerve reaction. It moves but is not alive. Ignore it and it will decompose of its own accord.

As for the good Doctor, yes, he does indeed rule. I wish the BBC would get around to bringing my favorite Time Lord back.

I feel that Tom Baker was the definitive Gallifreyan. The next best were (by my estimation) Pertwee, Troughton, Davidson, McCoy, Hartnell the other Baker and Mcgann.
Old December 25th, 2003, 05:52 PM   #3
Quoshara
Klingon Wolf Trainer

Star Trek is not dead.... except for on television.

It's alive and living online in some very good fan-fic and RP... ((and I don't mean slash))

But I do have to agree... Dr. Who rules. *L*
Old December 26th, 2003, 07:25 PM   #4
Bijou88

Yes, Quoshara, I stand corrected. While Star Trek is indeed dead on television and movie screens, it does live in the hearts and minds of fans who remember the glory days.
Old December 26th, 2003, 07:31 PM   #5
jjrakman

I don't know if I want it to die. But a real long earned rest is definitely needed.
Old December 26th, 2003, 09:25 PM   #6
callsignfalcon
Warrior

Rest, a rest would be good... perhaps 10 years... maybe 20 then revive it again
callsignfalcon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 27th, 2003, 03:16 AM   #7
peter noble
Strike Leader

Colonial Fan ForceCo-Founder
Colonial Fan Force
COMMAND INSIGNIACo-Owner
TombsofKobol.com

The trouble with Trek is that the same people have been doing it for so long that they've done every story permatation imaginable.

The one bright spark seems to be the arrival of Odyssdey 5's Manny Coto to the writing staff of Enterprise.

Also, people to seem to have forgotten that Star Trek was a lof of FUN, now it's so po-faced.

Peter
Old December 27th, 2003, 03:46 PM   #8
Bijou88

The problem with Star Trek today is that it is a corporate product rather than a kooky network series that the network suits didn't understand. Because they didn't understand it they let it alone and Star Trek became a phenomenon. Star Trek is so tired. While the production values continue to be impressive, the writing is dull and lifeless. I watched Voyager on and off for seven years. I still don't know the names of all the characters. They were so bland. Enterprise is more of the same. The actors walk around the same sets every week looking slightly embarrassed to be on the show. Bakula, who was so entertaining on Quantum Leap, acts like a man who couldn't be a proper crossing guard let alone the captain of a starship. Vulcans now seem to feel that those who mind meld are perverts. So much for Spock. I don't think that taking a break would help. By 2024, Star Trek would be a period piece that would need to be "improved" by a producer from the same mold of Ronald D Moore. Just think of it: sex in the corridors of Federation Starships! The Borg, Klingons, Vulcans, Romulans and Cardassians who would look just like Humans because the Federation created them! Who needs something like that? I say close the books on Star Trek.
Old December 27th, 2003, 05:55 PM   #9
BST
Snowball, My Angel Baby

COMMAND INSIGNIAAdmin
Colonial Fleets

I knew that eventually this day would come but, still held out hope that it wouldn't -- the day that I would wish Star Trek a fond farewell.

I've been a fan of the ST franchise since 1971 and used to be teased about watching it after school when all the other guys, that I grew up with, were outside playing football, riding bikes, etc. I did those things too but, not when Trek was on. Later on, as we all grew a bit older, these same guys saw the light and realized just how good the show was. I was tickled pink when the first movie came out then, blown away with TWOK. As the years passed, the enjoyment continued with the new movies and then, heaven -- a new series, TNG. It was rough at first but, eventually found its footing. I was astounded when DS9 was announced and literally said "it just doesn't get any better than this". My love for the show continued through DS9 and onto Voyager. I watched the shows every week. By the time Voyager was winding down on its 7 year run, I started thinking that maybe ST had run its course and a hiatus might be a good idea. Then, Enterprise was announced and I began to watch it, for most of the 1st season. I haven't been back since. It just didn't hold my interest and that was probably because it was a prequel. We have all seen what happens AFTER the "Enterprise" time period. Maybe the "Captain Sulu" / Excelsior story would have done better. Then, again, maybe ST HAS run its course. Maybe there are no more viable storylines / concepts left.

If that's the case then, so be it. But, I will offer my thanks because it was ONE HELL OF A RIDE!!!

Sincerely,

BattleStarTrekker
You have come to journey's end
Sleep now
And dream of the ones who came before
They are calling
From across the distant shore .

Children are a message that we send
to a time that we will never see.
BST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 30th, 2003, 08:29 PM   #10
Darth Marley
GINO Public Defender

Jolene Blalock redeems the show.
Vulcans with bare midriffs! Logical? Who cares?

Can't wait for the next pon far episode.
Old January 1st, 2004, 08:39 PM   #11
Spike The Cylon
Captain

I like Trek, but I agree that it's dying/dead. Enterprise should be the last show. It's getting old, and needs a rest. Besides, how many transporter accident episodes can there be?

Fleeing From The Cylon Tyranny, The Last Battlestar, Galactica, Leads a Rag-tag Fugitive Fleet On A Lonely Quest. A Shining Planet, Known As....Earth!
Spike The Cylon is offline   Reply With Quote