Go Back   Colonial Fleets > FAN CREATIVITY > ART Work - Finished
Notices

Old August 6th, 2017, 06:19 PM   #31
martok2112
Colonial Story Teller

Default Re: Galactica and Pegasus

Westy, I know you didn't care for the pulsar cannons (the larger ones) I'd mounted on my previous model of the Big G. (I was inspired a little bit by the Galactica in the Ron Moore series for that...and I'd always felt that a ship like a battlestar should have big guns anyway for slugfests against other capital ships...the whole "broadsides" thing). But I had also placed the smaller anti-starfighter laser cannons at a lot of points all over that build. A few I had put in the "temple" areas (the indentations) of the head of the ship.....a couple top mounted and a couple deck mounted. I had also mounted some on the struts connecting the flight pods to the ship, as well as the top and bottom of the main hull. I think, in the tv show, some cannons may have been mounted in the strips along the flight pods flanking the chutes from where the Vipers are launched. Some upper, some lower.
Old August 7th, 2017, 05:34 AM   #32
Westy
Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by martok2112 View Post
Westy, I know you didn't care for the pulsar cannons (the larger ones) I'd mounted on my previous model of the Big G. (I was inspired a little bit by the Galactica in the Ron Moore series for that...and I'd always felt that a ship like a battlestar should have big guns anyway for slugfests against other capital ships...the whole "broadsides" thing). But I had also placed the smaller anti-starfighter laser cannons at a lot of points all over that build. A few I had put in the "temple" areas (the indentations) of the head of the ship.....a couple top mounted and a couple deck mounted. I had also mounted some on the struts connecting the flight pods to the ship, as well as the top and bottom of the main hull. I think, in the tv show, some cannons may have been mounted in the strips along the flight pods flanking the chutes from where the Vipers are launched. Some upper, some lower.
I don't recall ever criticizing it...did I? If I did, it was probably that there wasn't anything on the studio model in whatever particular location, but that's as far I'd go...and that's only cuz of my accuracy OCD.
Like I said though, there's stuff all over her that could be considered turrets, launchers, mega pulsar whatchamacallits, and so on.

btw, I also always though in my own mind that the bay trenches would have plenty of laser turrets there as well.

I wish they had just gone that one step further and showed actual objects on the ship where the fire originated from. I mentioned in my previous post one definite location for at least one turret, but I can't recall if there was ever shown to be more definite locations. Then there's the missiles...Living Legend showed missiles being fired, but not where on the ship they came from. But again, there's stuff all over her that looks like missile launchers...cannisters, launch tube hatches, etc.

Then there's the shields...was it greeting from earth? I forget...it was when Galactica threw a shield over that planet to stop all the nukes...if she can do that, she definitely has defensive screens of some sort....

So idk, there's plenty to go on. One of these days I'm gonna animate my model with definite turrets on her, freaking shields, and missiles. It's all canon (pardon the pun), so why not right?
Old August 7th, 2017, 05:39 AM   #33
Westy
Warrior

I just finished another round of accurizing, this time the head sides, and the edges of the top of the head, the eyebrows, and redid all the piping in said areas.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg HeadFixes.jpg (496.6 KB, 3 views)
Old August 8th, 2017, 12:19 AM   #34
martok2112
Colonial Story Teller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Westy View Post
I don't recall ever criticizing it...did I? If I did, it was probably that there wasn't anything on the studio model in whatever particular location, but that's as far I'd go...and that's only cuz of my accuracy OCD.
No, no, my friend, not at all. You weren't criticizing. You simply stated your taste. I didn't take it any other way. Certainly not my intention to make you feel defensive.

Quote:
btw, I also always though in my own mind that the bay trenches would have plenty of laser turrets there as well.
My thoughts as well.

Quote:
I wish they had just gone that one step further and showed actual objects on the ship where the fire originated from. I mentioned in my previous post one definite location for at least one turret, but I can't recall if there was ever shown to be more definite locations. Then there's the missiles...Living Legend showed missiles being fired, but not where on the ship they came from. But again, there's stuff all over her that looks like missile launchers...cannisters, launch tube hatches, etc.
Most fans and folks speculate that this would be the one of the missile launchers, just below and to the right of the ship's nameplate:

Quote:
Then there's the shields...was it greeting from earth? I forget...it was when Galactica threw a shield over that planet to stop all the nukes...if she can do that, she definitely has defensive screens of some sort....
As I understand it, it wasn't so much that the Galactica threw a shield over the planet, as it had fired all of its bearing weapons and picked the missiles out of the sky. But, they didn't quite the effects capability to show thousands of laser bolts firing at the atmosphere, so they went with what looked like a large, wide beam which looked like a shield.

Our own David Kerrin did a version of that scene, showing the Galactica firing the myriad laser bolts at the planet.

I think I recall hearing in the episode "The Living Legend" where Cain mentions throwing up the "electronic shields". But I don't know if he was referring to actual deflector shields, or perhaps he meant hardening the Pegasus' electronic systems against EMP attack.

I look forward to seeing your ship animated. I imagine your ship is a memory intensive monster. She certainly is a beautiful build.
Old August 8th, 2017, 09:33 PM   #35
Westy
Warrior

That particual nernie shows up in several other places as well. And there's other nurnies that have parts of that nernie too.
And yeah, it's a beast of a model. I can only work on little subsections of it at a time when I model. Quick renders with not much AA and low resolution take only a minute or so, but when I pull out all the stops and do a 4k with high AA and radiosity and all that a single frame can take anywhere from 2 to 6 hours....
Old August 8th, 2017, 09:50 PM   #36
Jubal
Warrior

So have they (writers, model builders) ever explained why the Galactica looks like a six legged crocodile?

(This picture being the ten legged crocodile from Neverland (2011)

Jubal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 11th, 2017, 11:31 AM   #37
martok2112
Colonial Story Teller

Perhaps to show the potential fury of the battlestar?

Another reply to Westy in us trying to figure out the placement of anti-starfighter cannons on the Galactica, we did see at least one (somewhat) definitive place where ASF cannons were mounted....right on the topside of the Galactica.

This particular shot would seem to indicate that there are, indeed, laser cannons mounted on the strip where the launch tubes are located.

The recent Battlestar Galactica series also indicates that ASF cannons are mounted on the launch tube strip.
Old August 12th, 2017, 04:18 PM   #38
Titon
Retired or am I?

That perticular shot is of the interior of the landing bay flipped upside down if anyone wants to know.

Old August 12th, 2017, 07:03 PM   #39
martok2112
Colonial Story Teller

Ahhhh......so the hangar bay did have defenses.

When I built my first Blender Galactica 10 yahrens ago, I put the ASF cannons above the recovery bay.
Old Yesterday, 03:34 AM   #40
Westy
Warrior

I'm down to put all that on the model. I'm in the middle of meeting a dead line for a project I'm working on, but when that's all set I'll start looking more into this.
As long as it's either on the actual studio model or has been filmed as if it were, I'd like it on my model. Doing this will require watching all the episodes and movies and what not and capturing shots of this stuff in action. That's the "canon" (no pun intended). But that's not all, Galactica had batteries of this stuff working in concert according to dialog in the movie. So taking the shots collected and expanding them in those batteries should do the trick.
Then there's other things, like the missile launchers. In Living Legend they showed a missile being launched, it looked like the interior of a missile bay ala on one of our boomers or a land based silo or something. I was thinking those nurnies we talked about earlier are too small for that. Cuz that limits it to one missile launched at a time. But what about this are of the ship in the attached pic? See those great big hatches? Any thoughts?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Hatches.jpg (220.5 KB, 2 views)
Old Yesterday, 10:56 PM   #41
Westy
Warrior

Almost done reorganizing (I hit a complexity problem and had to come up with a new way of the submodels). This is now at 7 megapolys.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Semioptimized.jpg (519.5 KB, 2 views)
Old Yesterday, 11:49 PM   #42
martok2112
Colonial Story Teller

Jaw dropped? Check!
Eyes as big as saucers? Check!
Mind blown? Check!

Westy, you never cease to amaze me with this model. I don't think I can find enough superlatives.
Old Today, 02:31 AM   #43
FleetCon
Just Lost My Cherry!

This is insanely a masterpiece to behold! Great job, man!
FleetCon is offline   Reply With Quote