Go Back   Colonial Fleets > BATTLESTAR GALACTICA DISCUSSION AREA > The Last Battlestar......Galactica!
Notices
The Last Battlestar......Galactica! For discussions about the ORIGINAL series
What Dreams May Come!

Old January 30th, 2003, 09:48 AM   #1
KJ
Strike Leader

Default The Michael Hinman review of the new BG script!

O.K. for every review of the Moore script we got most saying they don't like it, to those few that do? But has anyone really reviewed that piece on Syfyportal.com? by Michael Hinman along with Hammer's blatant reimaginning statement of redoing Battlestar Galactica for the sole purpose of trying to redo the sci-fi genre anyways.

Heartbreaking stuff, even casual sci-fi fans must be scratching their heads wondering why.

I be glad come March when i'll be forced to do something else, i just can't bring myself to back this? :confused: it's nuts! i'd rather not get the script from several sources which some of you have been able to get hold of said script but. should i get hold of it and study it indepth i still won't back it.

On a side note, those of you who read Dreamwatch magazine will be able to buy the latest issue which has more, Ron "Remake BG" Moore news!

KJ
KJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 30th, 2003, 11:00 AM   #2
Thomas P

Council of Elders
TOS Gladiator Manager

Hinman is not a very good writer. At the very least he needs an editor. That's being generous.
Thomas P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 30th, 2003, 11:30 AM   #3
KJ
Strike Leader

Thanks for the reply, even being open minded i found for an unbias guy he did wayyyyy too much sucking up to Moore.

On the Dreamwatch thing i feel sorry for the editors who has to read and type up the latest news on the remake being made, the Dreamwatch magazine guys seem to love BG but must find it difficult to report the news of Battlestar Galactica when the news is so heart breaking!

March almost a month and a day away, and not looking good? anyway 2003 gonna be known for movies at the box office not watch anything that comes from "Blunderwood" or "Remakewood" or "Turn cult TV series to crap wood"

KJ

TV exec, they just don't get it :confused: :confused: :confused: do they?
Old January 30th, 2003, 11:43 AM   #4
Thomas P

Council of Elders
TOS Gladiator Manager

Hinman is a big fan of Moore's evidently. I've liked most things that Moore has written that I've seen (including the 60s-sitcom-spoof episode of "Roswell") but I'm not a fan of his in the sense that I am of, say, Joss Whedon. I didn't particularly care for DS9 or much of what was considered "good" on it. Having said that, I'm just stunned by the Galactica miniseries script which I think is excellent in most respects.
Old January 30th, 2003, 11:56 AM   #5
KJ
Strike Leader

Moore use to have my respect as well, but he won't anymore because if he knew Galactica he wouldn't have done that script, i've read enough outlines versions to get the geist of it, so i'm not going to go indepth on it o.k., i know it no good and i won't break my heart on it anymore, nope, no way.

As for Moore yes he WAS good, on DS9 he was known for killing off good characters Klingons Gowron and Kurn suffered because of him, hell Kurn didn't even get a death worthy of a Klingon HE DIDN'T even die he just had is memories erased?

Well look like Moore wants to erase the good memories of BG in the hearts and minds of the original fans too. Sorry not to this fan not EVER!

Later Dennis

Last edited by KJ; January 30th, 2003 at 05:46 PM..
Old January 30th, 2003, 12:05 PM   #6
havoc315
Shuttle Pilot

Hinman's is just yet another positive review, but he obviously does have a pro-Moore bias. It's interesting as the reviews really aren't all that negative. I've now seen three major reviews from people who are not self-proclaimed fanatics of the original Galactica. One really disliked the new script (filmjerk), while scifi portal and aicn both really liked it.

Among fans of the original BSG, voices are similarly mixed. Michael Faries gave it a mixed/negative review, and he admitted openly to his pro-continuation bias. I really liked most of the script, and I am a fan of the original (but probably not a hardcore fan).

The most valid criticisms of the new script are that (1) It's different than the original, and (2), it's not a continuation. Well, RDM obviously wanted to make it different, and did not want to make a continuation. That said, is it any good? Although the opinion is far from unanimous, there seems to be positive reaction on the merits of the script. I have re-thought many of my own reservations after reading part of the script. Though I still have some complaints, I find some of my other worries were unfounded.
havoc315 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 30th, 2003, 12:11 PM   #7
Micheleh
Watashiwa Shin no Noir

Veteran
Fleets Warrior
SPECIAL ACHIEVEMENT AWARDFormer Assistant
Richard Hatch

Dennis- boy, do we have different tastes! I think the script is awful. It's a write by number which uses inapropriate references, poor charachterization, and a result-driven plot which gives the impression that the charachterizations (not charachters) are fleshed out as little as possible to justify the storyline. (I *hate* that.)

Hey, I should do a review!
Micheleh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 30th, 2003, 12:45 PM   #8
Thomas P

Council of Elders
TOS Gladiator Manager

The characterization is much better than the standard for shows like Star Trek and the original Battlestar Galactica in that the people in the story are individuated and conflict over the things that human beings actually come into conflict over. Moore finds drama where real people experience drama and conflict -- between family members, between romantic partners, between superior and subordinate, between individuals struggling against one another for control.

TV sf generally avoids such things -- the major conflict remains between a team of good guys trying to achieve some simple objective that's built into the series premise and a villain or villains who are capriciously illogical in their methods and without their own ethic in any meaningful sense. I prefer what Moore's doing (and what Whedon generally does); I wish I saw more of it in shows like "Enterprise".
Old January 30th, 2003, 01:00 PM   #9
Stevew
Fleet Modeling Machine!

I have not read the script but from what I know and have read, Idon't think I will like it. Just call it something else, don't use BSG names, then when it fails it will not totally destroy BSG
S
Stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 30th, 2003, 04:44 PM   #10
KJ
Strike Leader

Too true, too true man.