Go Back   Colonial Fleets > REJUVENATION CENTER > Galactica Cafe
Notices
Galactica Cafe A place to socialize and have fun!

Old September 19th, 2003, 09:08 AM   #1
Micheleh
Watashiwa Shin no Noir

Veteran
Fleets Warrior
SPECIAL ACHIEVEMENT AWARDFormer Assistant
Richard Hatch

Default Tkae teh Cmabrigde Challegne

"Aoccdrnig to a rscheearch at Cmabrigde Uinervtisy, it deosn't mttaer in waht oredr the ltteers in a wrod are, the olny iprmoetnt tihng is taht the frist and lsat ltteer be at the rghit pclae. The rset can be a total mses and you can sitll raed it wouthit porbelm. Tihs is bcuseae the huamn mnid deos not raed ervey lteter by istlef, but the wrod as a wlohe."

Ok, how many of you read right through that? Lol!

Micheleh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 19th, 2003, 09:54 AM   #2
The Blue Mule
Warrior

Me!

I see nothing wrong with it

But I spent 2 and a half years in japan with a japanese family whosw(got ya)Mom spoke broken english,whose children spoke none,and I spoke very little japanese, so it was all about GETTING TO THE POINT! It was a challenge to say the least but I do hate it when people use their eduaction to crap on sombody's mistakes.

So do I deserve it and are those with higher educations justified? Then I hope these people never go abroad, the'll wind up felgercarbting on those with a loose grip on english,or anyone who makes an honset(got ya again) mistake,or typos those people are appalling.

Serious though I made a lot of people at ease in Japan(especially my animation producer because it was his main worry: "communication") I made an attempt to understand their english,and they made an attempt to understand my atrocious japanese. In the end it got to a point where a bunch of odd noises,grunts and head shakes,that made communication possible. It was fun, but sometimes tiring. a whole day of this plus what we take for granted in our everyday lives here in america,was a task for me every living minute in Japan.

But I tell you i'd give up everything I have to be there again. I'd split in a heart beat.

Maybe it comes from a life time of living,playing,associating with minorities here in the tri state area, but there seems to be no tolerance with some people when it comes to others of a different race. (Hell I almost got into a fistfight with a friend(white guy) because he kept using the "N" word. After our little spat,we left work with a paycheck,and I was promptly attacked by 15 to 18 afican americans)(I really do not want to discuss that through-thanks)
It goes both ways,some immigrants just dont want to fit into america,but I am ready to learn from others and the funny thing is with all my "want" to learn from other races and to work with all types of people and to be part of something(animation Film etc) Im still labled someone who doesnt work well with othersand unemployable. Go figue. It's crap,but go figue.

LOL sorry for the half ass rant!

Rich

P.S. Felbergarbiting??? Common we need to take off this curse eliminator.
Old September 19th, 2003, 10:18 AM   #3
Flamingo Girl
Squadron Leader

Veteran
Fleets Warrior

AM I INVISIBLE???

http://www.colonialfleets.com/forums...&threadid=4338

"Dirk's always wanted to make love with himself, and now he could succeed!!!"
RH
Flamingo Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 19th, 2003, 10:36 AM   #4
Micheleh
Watashiwa Shin no Noir

Veteran
Fleets Warrior
Richard Hatch

Ow! Ok, I'm deaf now.....

One of my old buds from Michigan sent me this, it must be making the rounds.
Old September 19th, 2003, 03:36 PM   #5
repcisg
Bad Email Address

FG is definatly not invisable! Micheleh missed you, personaly I don't see how.
repcisg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 19th, 2003, 05:26 PM   #6
Micheleh
Watashiwa Shin no Noir

Veteran
Fleets Warrior
Richard Hatch

What, like I've actually had time to *read* all the threads lately? Lol!
Old May 3rd, 2004, 08:57 PM   #7
Rowan
On Vacation...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Micheleh
"Aoccdrnig to a rscheearch at Cmabrigde Uinervtisy, it deosn't mttaer in waht oredr the ltteers in a wrod are, the olny iprmoetnt tihng is taht the frist and lsat ltteer be at the rghit pclae. The rset can be a total mses and you can sitll raed it wouthit porbelm. Tihs is bcuseae the huamn mnid deos not raed ervey lteter by istlef, but the wrod as a wlohe."

Ok, how many of you read right through that? Lol!

That was easy to do ! wow how cool! I learned something
Rowan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 3rd, 2004, 09:53 PM   #8
Senmut
Strike Leader

Adn jsut whta ddi yuo leran, Dera Rwoan?
----------------------------
"You know the night before was a tough one when even the sound of the fizz hurts your head." -Mike Hammer.
Senmut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 3rd, 2004, 10:47 PM   #9
Rowan
On Vacation...

A ltilte mroe aubot how the biran wkros
Old May 4th, 2004, 07:10 AM   #10
Darth Marley
GINO Public Defender

The evils of the "whole language" approach to learning.

I think this is just a plot by lazy teachers that do not want to grade based on spelling and grammar that they may not be competent to correct.
Old May 4th, 2004, 08:59 AM   #11
Rowan
On Vacation...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth Marley
The evils of the "whole language" approach to learning.

I think this is just a plot by lazy teachers that do not want to grade based on spelling and grammar that they may not be competent to correct.
ooooooooooo Darth thems is fighting words-me likes

I bought a book on that a few years back..."how to teach your baby to read", all about the whole language approach to learning to read very interesting concept, would love the opportunity to explore it personally, i.e. try it out on my own kid...

But for someone who never went to an English school until I was in 9th grade and never had anyone teach me to spell, it's been a life long challenge to spell words correctly, I do it by visualizing instead of knowing, if the words looks right then its ok. But this does not work if I'm tired or distracted or whatever, so when I write anything I always have to have the dictionary close and constantly have to consult it, and or use spell check.

I’ve been in college for 6 out of the last 9 years two different colleges had over 40 instructors and had only one care about the spelling, really care, you lost points for every spelling mistake.

I once complained to an English teacher about her use of American spelling in a Canadian school and she said what’s the difference, Um...national identity maybe?

The attitude that the instructors have sets the bar for their students if they don't care then why should the students, it's very depressing.

When I think that my mother had to take elocution lessons, most kids today don't even know what that is.

So many people no longer know how to pronounce words correctly or how to interpret the way it should be said based on the system of symbols used in the dictionary. Because it's never taught anymore.

Old May 4th, 2004, 09:10 AM   #12
doc834
Bad Email Address

I can't believe I actually understood the whole paragragh.
doc834 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 4th, 2004, 02:18 PM   #13
Antelope

Very interesting. I read through it also with no problem. This reminds me of those paragraphs where they put in the duplicate words and your brain filters them out also.

Anyone watch the 20/20 or Dateline show where they had people watch a bunch of kids on video bouncing basketballs between them. They asked them to count how many times the ball bounced. In the middle of the video a man in an ape suit comes in scene, bounces the ball, and walks out of scene. Your brain filters the ape right out also. No one saw him until they were told to watch the video again and look for an ape.

I think this is sometimes why it is sometimes frustrating when arguing with people who have a different world view. Once your or their mind believes things are meant to be a certain way it filters the world according to that prism.

Maybe that's why pro and anti-mini fans can watch the same show and come to opposite conclusions about the quality of what they saw.
Old May 4th, 2004, 02:23 PM   #14
kitty
Bad Email Address

Quote:
Originally Posted by antelope526
Very interesting. I read through it also with no problem. This reminds me of those paragraphs where they put in the duplicate words and your brain filters them out also.

Anyone watch the 20/20 or Dateline show where they had people watch a bunch of kids on video bouncing basketballs between them. They asked them to count how many times the ball bounced. In the middle of the video a man in an ape suit comes in scene, bounces the ball, and walks out of scene. Your brain filters the ape right out also. No one saw him until they were told to watch the video again and look for an ape.

I think this is sometimes why it is sometimes frustrating when arguing with people who have a different world view. Once your or their mind believes things are meant to be a certain way it filters the world according to that prism.

Maybe that's why pro and anti-mini fans can watch the same show and come to opposite conclusions about the quality of what they saw.
That was very insightful Antelope!
kitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 8th, 2005, 01:17 AM   #15
Rowan
On Vacation...

*bump*