Go Back   Colonial Fleets > ALTERNATE UNIVERSES > Miscellaneous Entertainment
Notices
Miscellaneous Entertainment Talk about any other shows not covered by other forums.

Old December 8th, 2004, 12:29 PM   #1
thomas7g
out there somewhere

COMMAND INSIGNIAFormer Admin (ret)
Colonial Fleets
BattlestarGalactica-Fleets.com
Owner
Ship Of Lights Forum

Thumbs up The Phantom of the Opera Movie!

http://www.apple.com/trailers/wb/the...opera/trailer/

I'm realy hoping this film is all it can be. I loved the opera. It was glorious. It could be a bit over the top. And campy. But there was some VERY romantic moving moments to it. And I grew to like the music.

The trailer is beautiful. and I hope the film is as good as it looks. If it is, I am definitely going to enjoy this one!

"There is a meaning for wings that can not fly!
Its a precious memory of when you once flew in the sky."
thomas7g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 8th, 2004, 12:31 PM   #2
Archangel
Bad Email Address

If I just went by the trailer, I'd say that I'd enjoy it too. But I've seen too many movies that sucked although the trailer was good
Archangel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 8th, 2004, 12:47 PM   #3
bsg1fan1975
Major

i want to see this. I have the original London Cast recording of the soundtrack on Cd.

My favorite songs are Music of the Night and All I Ask of You.

Cheese: [has tinfoil on his teeth] I have braces!
Mac: You found that on the ground, didn't you?
Cheese: Garbage can.
-episode "Mac Daddy"Foster's Home for Imaginary Friends"
bsg1fan1975 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 10th, 2004, 08:23 PM   #4
braxiss
Major

back in high school i had study this play for my drama class.

if the movie follows the play it should be a grest film, and i for one am looking forward

to seeing it.
Old December 14th, 2004, 02:49 AM   #5
DarkJedi
Bad Email Address

FORUM STAFFVeteran
Fleets Officer

I for one am excited to see this. A bit hesistant in fear that it will be ruined but hopeful that they made it the beautiful masterpiece that it is...
DarkJedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 23rd, 2004, 03:29 AM   #6
bsg1fan1975
Major

I want to see the movie as I have never had the chance to see the Broadway version. I used to have the book and read it several times. I have the full soundtrack to the play!

Old December 23rd, 2004, 05:11 AM   #7
Gemini1999
Strike Leader

FORUM STAFFFleet Moderator
Colonial Fleets

The local Sacramento Bee movie critic gave "Phantom" very high marks. I never saw the stage version, but I intend to see this over the holiday weekend!

Best,
Bryan

"If you love long enough, wish hard enough, anything is possible" - From The Boy Who Could Fly
Gemini1999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 23rd, 2004, 09:44 AM   #8
bsg1fan1975
Major

my local paper will not have the reviews out till Sunday but I will take anyone else's reviews!

Old December 23rd, 2004, 01:01 PM   #9
thomas7g
out there somewhere

COMMAND INSIGNIAFormer Admin (ret)
Colonial Fleets
BattlestarGalactica-Fleets.com
Owner
Ship Of Lights Forum

I forget where I was.... but I saw a bad review. Basically it said it was too outlandish, even considering the source. It did though give high marks to the visuals which were spectacular.

I think it might have been Yahoo news...

"There is a meaning for wings that can not fly!
Its a precious memory of when you once flew in the sky."
thomas7g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 29th, 2004, 03:30 AM   #10
bsg1fan1975
Major

my local paper gave it a bad review as well. But has anyone seen it and if so is it worth my hubby and I shelling out the price of admission?

Old January 13th, 2005, 03:37 PM   #11
The 14th Colony
Strike Leader

I saw this today, finally, and I enjoyed it a lot. I've had the Andrew Lloyd Webber soundtrack for years and used to listen to it constantly. I have not seen the stage show, so I really didn't have anything to compare this version to, other than how I imagined it, and how the stage show looked in photographs. I had been concerned before seeing it that nobody could live up to the voices and power of Micheal Crawford and Sara Brightman. I felt that this Phantom lacked the depth of Crawford's voice, and there was something weak in his performance that didn't sit well with me, though I can't pinpoint what it was that didn't earn him an A+ in my book. Maybe I've unfairly compared him too much to Crawford and hadn't fully accepted his singing to replace what I'd remembered so well. The actress who played Lady Daee was...at first not what I expected, not enough like Sara Brightman, but then I really took to her, she made me feel for her and accept her fully in the part she played. She ended up being superb in my eyes and ears.

The music was again gorgeous, but it didn't strike me with the power that came forth from the soundtrack as I'd grown to love it over the years, despite ALW being fully involved in it. It felt as if the music was rerecorded for the movie score and ALW didn't deliver it with the power that he did on the Soundtrack.

Masquerade was lacking. Visually it lacked. It didn't compare to how it looked in the stage show. What is that I say? But I didn't see the stage show, isn't that true? Righto, but I have seen photographs of the Masquerade performance and the stage cast singing from the staircase, and this presentation, visually, did not match the fullness of the group or their costumes performing on the staircase in the stage show.

"The Phantom of the Opera", my favorite song from the entire musical, was the one I most eagerly desired to see and hear. I have always loved, absolutely loved, the end when Phantom sings "Sing for me my angel of music!" and Christine sings "He's here, the phantom of the operaaaaaaaa......." and then launches into her 45 second long extended note (that's right, I timed it), and I was so eager for that part to be performed. Well, sorry, I loved the new Christine and her signing was superb, but her
phantom of the operaaaaaaaa and her extended note left me wanting. I was dissappointed to say the least. Yet, moving past that I truly loved the actress who played Christina, and though the Phantom seemed lacking to me, she WAS Christina for me, despite how her extended note didn't measure up. I think that when I see i again, getting past the excitement, I might enjoy it more without trying to compare it to how it sounded in the past and how I always visualized it.

All in all I loved the movie and will buy the DVD and will watch it again. Aside from what I listed above, I loved the film. I honestly have to say that I was teary eyed through several parts of the first half of the film, having so loved the music and seeing so much visually come to me as I imagined it, or better than.

If reincarnation is real, I want to come back as a bowling ball...because that's how I roll.

My Creativity:
https://www.facebook.com/legoshine
My Writing Page:
https://www.facebook.com/pages/InSpi...47884321946870
The 14th Colony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 17th, 2005, 01:23 PM   #12
Krystal
Bad Email Address

Wink

I see a Making of special of this, I think it was in HBO(I'm not sure). And I just love it. I always have love this story and the production in the special looks awesome. So I'm looking forward to see it.

Krystal
Krystal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 19th, 2005, 12:43 PM   #13
bsg1fan1975
Major

Hubby and I saw it shortly after it came out and thought it was worth the price of admission. Can't wait for it to be on dvd. hubby knows that i want to buy it!