Go Back   Colonial Fleets > BATTLESTAR GALACTICA DISCUSSION AREA > New Twists On Old Episodes
Notices
New Twists On Old Episodes Share views on what changes you would make
if YOU were remaking the Original Series episodes

Old March 23rd, 2005, 10:29 AM   #31
repcisg
Bad Email Address

IMO, Colla's version is vastly supirior to Glan's.
repcisg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 23rd, 2005, 10:32 AM   #32
Eric Paddon
Squadron Leader

If I remember right though, it was Larson's call on keeping Baltar alive, since he directed the scene of Baltar being spared.

But this does show how just like the best of what we associate with Star Trek didn't come from Roddenberry but from the other people on the show during its first couple seasons (Coon, Fontana etc.) the same thing was true of the others who worked with Larson on the series to help bring the series into a form that was ultimately more satisfying than if the original vision had been followed to the letter.
"They hate us with every fiber of their being. We love....freedom, independence, the right to question. To them it is an alien way of living."-The non-myopic wisdom of Commander Adama, "Saga Of A Star World"

"How do you tell a Communist? Well, it's someone who reads Marx and Lenin. And how do you tell an anti-Communist? It's someone who understands Marx and Lenin."-Ronald Reagan
Eric Paddon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 23rd, 2005, 12:43 PM   #33
repcisg
Bad Email Address

Baltar was brought back (resurrected) for the series. The Pilot was re-cut to show him surviving.
repcisg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 23rd, 2005, 02:13 PM   #34
Eric Paddon
Squadron Leader

Yes, I was just referring to how while Colla might have changed some of those things, the other big change we usually associate is Baltar being spared ultimately, and that would have been Larson's call.
"They hate us with every fiber of their being. We love....freedom, independence, the right to question. To them it is an alien way of living."-The non-myopic wisdom of Commander Adama, "Saga Of A Star World"

"How do you tell a Communist? Well, it's someone who reads Marx and Lenin. And how do you tell an anti-Communist? It's someone who understands Marx and Lenin."-Ronald Reagan
Old June 21st, 2005, 08:34 PM   #35
Senmut
Strike Leader

And it was a brilliant one. It just wouldn't have worked right without Baltar alive and chasing them.
----------------------------
"You know the night before was a tough one when even the sound of the fizz hurts your head." -Mike Hammer.
Senmut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 12th, 2009, 06:29 PM   #36
Eric Paddon
Squadron Leader

Default Re: 02: Lost Planet Of The Gods

It certainly would have been nice to see some of these characters return on an occasional basis of 2-3 times per season. Croft, Uri etc. all had that kind of potential.

And on the matter of other actors doing the show eventually sooner or later, I have a feeling Robert Conrad's name might have come up seeing as how almost half the cast of "Baa Baa Black Sheep" was on Galactica at one time or another! (Kathy Cannon, Larry Manetti, Jeff MacKay, W.K. Stratton, James Whitmore, Jr.)

Old March 13th, 2009, 12:30 PM   #37
shiningstar
Bad Email Address

I loved Croft!
shiningstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 16th, 2009, 05:04 PM   #38
Athene
Galactica's Princess

I also really liked Croft.

Battlestar Earth admin
Galactica's Princess admin
Battlestar Galactica Club Board Theme/Avatar Keeper
Athene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 23rd, 2009, 02:34 AM   #39
KageRyu
Shuttle Pilot

I had a few thoughts about this episode that some here may find interesting, entertaining, or possibly informative. Let me first say, that some of what I am about to discuss stems from me being a significant roleplayer and primarily gamemaster for many a yahren, and from my many attempts to create plotlines in line with epic space opera that I can give explanation suitable to more contemporary skeptics.

In one of the recent Science Fiction games I ran I was contemplating a series of events that would lead my group of protagonists across a "void" or "rift". While conceiving this plotline, this particular episode of BSG was forefront in my mind (with BSG, the SW trilogy, ST TOS, and the old Tom Baker episodes of Doctor Who being some of my biggest sci-fi influences). One of the players I had was very "scientific" about everything, and when composing the story I began to ask "ok, how do I justify a starless void that only the brave or very technologicly advanced dare cross?" The answer was actually both simple and, I feel, somewhat inspired. Since the protagonists were from Earth in my setting, and most of the action was in the Orion arm of the milky way, I decided to place the world they needed to seek just across the "void" betwen the arms of the milky way. While this technically wouldn't be "starless" I derived a wonderfully contrived explanation that had to do with the vast distance between the stars themselves (as oposed to those in an actual arm) as well as the presence of dark matter - soaking up ambient light. My protagonists accepted this (even the "scientific" minded one) and it all worked out rather well.

So, what does this mean to BSG? I guess what I am saying is that the "Void" the Galactica crossed could possibly be the the expanse between two of the various arms of the milky way. While it may need slightly more detailed explanation to make it fully work, it does make it somewhat more plausible. At least, this is my take.

Now, the question becomes, which was the "arm of origin"? Since Earth is in what we know to be the Orion Arm, and the Galactica only crosses one void, then did they orriginate from Carina Arm, or the Cygnus Arm...or possibly, given the Orion Arm is a fragment of the Orion-Persius arm (with a break between the two and Perseus being closer to Galactic Core) did the Galactica come from the Perseus Arm? Since the stars closer to the core are older than those in arms of the galaxy, and BSG clearly establishes that the tribes of Kobol are colonies, I posite that the Galactica's path came from Carina Arm. I suggest this, because, according to my rersearch, the Carina arm is the closest reasonable arm to the known position of Earth in the Orion-Perseus arm. Had the Galactica orriginated in the Sagitarius arm, it would have had to travel a significant distance across the galaxy, almost near the galactic core, and holding this theory of the "void" being the expanse between arms to be true, would have crossed three such voids on a straight line course.

That's my take on this anyway...based in part on information from: enchantedlearning.com, atlasoftheuniverse.com, wikipedia.com, and various other astronomy websites. Granted, I am not an astronomer or and astrophysicist, so please don't tear my head off if some of my information is not entirely accurate. Though I would be happy to explain some of my theories in greater detail, as in how I feel dark matter could have contributed to this "void" around Kobol.

Last edited by KageRyu; May 23rd, 2009 at 02:44 AM.. Reason: spelling errors
KageRyu is offline   Reply With Quote