Go Back   Colonial Fleets > BATTLESTAR GALACTICA DISCUSSION AREA > The Last Battlestar......Galactica!
Notices
The Last Battlestar......Galactica! For discussions about the ORIGINAL series
What Dreams May Come!

Old September 3rd, 2003, 06:58 AM   #1
larocque6689
Warrior

Default Of JJ and Commander Taggert's letter campaign

Does anybody else miss JJrakman?

His posts may have been repetitive, but his goal was always the same, a true revival of BSG. Anyway, he's just another longtime fan who walked away because of burnout and infighting. He only ever wanted to fight for one thing - a BSG revival - and not all this other stuff. But the other stuff did him in. And now he's gone.

You know what? It's too bad. We NEED guys like him, to remind us of the important things. I've dealt with him a bit and have grown to respect him a lot more the past two weeks. I also respect his decision to walk away. All the same, we are weakened by his absence.

Commander Taggert's letter campaign is something that I hope comes to fruition. This is the kind of thing that I think we should be working ourselves up over and a positive way of focusing on what we are fighting for. Here's some info:

http://bboard.scifi.com/bboard/browse.cgi/1/5/3800/57
http://www.cylon.org/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=436
Old September 3rd, 2003, 08:55 AM   #2
Dawg
Great Wise Guru

COMMAND INSIGNIAAdmin
ColonialFleets.com
SPECIAL ACHIEVEMENT AWARDCo-Owner
TombsofKobol.com
Owner/Webmaster
DirkBenedictCentral.com
Colonial Fan ForceCo-Founder
Colonial Fan Force

Quote:
Does anybody else miss JJrakman?
Yes. I consider him a friend, and he was also hurt by all this.

I'm not sure he can be coaxed back, but I intend to try.

There have been positive changes made because of all this, to be sure, but every event in life has consequences at both ends of the spectrum, so some bad did, too: we've lost strong voices who have been at the forefront of the revival effort, and we should try to get them back.

We need to make the best, most positive moves we can now.

I am
Dawg

My Places:

DirkBenedictCentral.com, Facebook: Dirk Benedict Central Twitter: @DBCdotCOM Dirk's appearances: Appearances

Tombs of Kobol
Dawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 3rd, 2003, 10:04 AM   #3
CommanderTaggart
Warrior

Colonial Fan ForceFounder/President
Colonial Fan Force
COMMAND INSIGNIACo-Owner
TombsofKobol.com
Webmaster (Retired)
Laurette Spang.com

Default I miss him, and I need him.

Laroque... man, I'm running on passion and putting myself out on a limb. I have been won over by the fans... and want this thing to happen... make history... make a difference... and make a movie. Not necessarily in that order.

I was counting on JJ for information, updates, and addresses. I hope that he's still at least lurking every now and again, because we'll need to spread this word to every rag-tag BSG fan in every corner of the globe to make this campaign FELT... in whomever's mailroom we end up targeting.

There's been some discussion at CA, and the latest suggestion is that we target 7 January 2004 (I think I got the date wrong at CA... I'll go over and check/edit) for the first wave of letters to hit... meaning we would aim for mailing our letters on Friday 2 January.

The status of the sale is going to have a big impact on our intended adressee. Let's assume for the moment that it will, in fact, be NBC... which is in and of itself ironic... that NBC would again be the recipient of the largest single letter-writing campaign in the history of SciFi.

If everyone agrees with these dates, then we've got to spread the word throughout the fandom, and especially at Galacticon. And let people know the can check here, and at CA, and wherever else is appropriate for updates, addresses, and ideas for the message that we will send in our effort to demonstrate iron-clad unity in what we want, and what we will wholeheartedly support with our hearts, souls, AND pocketbooks.

JJ, if you are reading... we're going to need undoctored analysis of the mini ratings as soon as they are available. We need to make someone responsible for getting that data and posting it ASAP after the airing.

Folks, let's make this one count. Hatch said we needed to rise and speak with one voice... and said that if we did "THEY" would listen.

Well, by God, let's do it. We can! We WILL!
CommanderTaggart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 3rd, 2003, 11:14 AM   #4
CommanderTaggart
Warrior

Colonial Fan Force
COMMAND INSIGNIACo-Owner
TombsofKobol.com
Webmaster (Retired)
Laurette Spang.com

Default Keeping the message simple.

I think that with our letter writing campaign, we should keep our demands simple and focused... without providing too much for TPTB to nitpick and find fault with.

As I see it... and this will be the first step toward developing our unified message... we want:

1. A continuation that picks up after "The Hand of God," whether it be the next day, or 30-years later.

2. Tom DeSanto and Glen Larson at the helm.

3. As many of the original actors as are available to participate.
Old September 3rd, 2003, 12:04 PM   #5
dah66
Warrior

Default I want to participate.

Fandom's track record for letter writing campaigns has been pretty sad of late. I'm not sure as to why. My guess, is that people feel that the letters will not be read or will not reach the proper person. Perhaps, the new mini has disillusioned people, or maybe they are just getting burned out on writing.

At this point, all we know is that Larson, Hatch, and DeSanto have talked. If they decide to move forward, letters would be to their benefit. They could use them to show Universal that there is demand for a motion picture that continues the original story and features some of the original actors and actresses.

Is it better to send the letters to Universal or to Larson? Or should we send the letters to both?

Would Larson/Hatch/DeSanto want fans to do this, since they have only chatted about the project? Can anyone find out?

I just want to send my letters where it will do the most good.

Thanks.

Dave
dah66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 3rd, 2003, 12:52 PM   #6
CommanderTaggart
Warrior

Colonial Fan Force
COMMAND INSIGNIACo-Owner
TombsofKobol.com
Webmaster (Retired)
Laurette Spang.com

Dave:

My take on it is this... Larson and DeSanto want to do it. We can send them private letters of support, if we wish. DeSanto can be reached through the William Morris Agency in Los Angeles.

I'm working from the assumption that they DO want to do this... and the people to whom we need to demonstrate our support are the folks at Universal... which could mean the folks at NBC, should the merger come through.

Larson has the film rights, but Universal still owns the property. They'll have to work together to make a film.

With the letter writing campaign, we need to demonstrate to Universal... or whoever owns them... that there is a market for the film and a profit to be made.

That's why I'm suggesting we target Universal (potentially NBC) for the campaign.
CommanderTaggart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 3rd, 2003, 02:14 PM   #7
dah66
Warrior

Ok. I'm in.
dah66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 3rd, 2003, 03:09 PM   #8
amberstar
Strike Leader

Default I'm in!

Just let me know who to write to and when to send the letters & If any solid information on the mini can be found to include as stats.
Old September 3rd, 2003, 03:34 PM   #9
BST
Snowball, My Angel Baby

COMMAND INSIGNIAAdmin
Colonial Fleets

Default Re: I'm in!

Quote:
Originally posted by amberstar
Just let me know who to write to and when to send the letters & If any solid information on the mini can be found to include as stats.
Here's a link to the ratings info -- via "zap2it":

http://www.zap2it.com/television/news/ratings/

Hopefully that will help, in the early December timeframe.
(Secretly hoping that some Christmas specials really blow it out of the stars!! Go Rudolph, Go Grinch, Go Charlie Brown, and Frosty, too!!)
You have come to journey's end
Sleep now
And dream of the ones who came before
They are calling
From across the distant shore .

Children are a message that we send
to a time that we will never see.
BST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 3rd, 2003, 07:17 PM   #10
amberstar
Strike Leader

Default Thank You BST

Again I owe you one! Thank you for the link.

(Yes I also hope the Christmas specials and holiday events will help our cause!)

Do we need a list of web sites to go and spread the word?

I know of:
Battlestar New york ( he did post Kingfish's petition)
Bronze Spar Squd. (Kingfish)
Cylon.org
Yahoo BSG groups
Battlestar Galatica club.com
Battlestar fan club (Chris)

Are there any others we should post this campaign on? I know I may have left out some by mistake.
Old September 3rd, 2003, 08:33 PM   #11
oldwardaggit
You old war daggit!

COMMAND INSIGNIAOwner/Webmaster
RadioGalactica

I miss JJrakman too.
I really miss us all being one big team.
OWD

OWD
oldwardaggit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 7th, 2003, 08:47 PM   #12
shiningstar
Bad Email Address

I miss him too.
shiningstar is offline   Reply With Quote