Go Back   Colonial Fleets > BATTLESTAR GALACTICA DISCUSSION AREA > The Last Battlestar......Galactica!
Notices
The Last Battlestar......Galactica! For discussions about the ORIGINAL series
What Dreams May Come!

Old June 11th, 2009, 03:03 PM   #1
skippercollecto
Squadron Leader

Battlestar Galactica 1978 Classic BSG F.A.Q.

I would like to create a sticky of frequently asked questions.
A few of these I can answer off the top of my head. Some of you who are experts at certain topics can also answer the questions.
Once I've compiled a bunch of questions, and gotten official answers, I can just copy and paste the information to a sticky.
Some of the following questions have been asked for years. I began seeing them in fan club newsletters in the early 1980s.
I also realize that some of the questions, even after 30-plus years, still don't have an answer!
If you know of additional common questions, and their answers, please post them as well.
Mary
1. How many battlestars are there, and what are their names?
2. What are the names of the 12 Colonies?
3. What did Sheba see on Iblis' ship? Why isn't there film footage for it?
4. How many variations are there of the pilot, and what are the differences?
5. What are the original names of the characters?
6. Why did Jane Seymour leave the show, and (hence) why did her character die?
7. What happened to Commander Cain and the Pegasus?
8. Why weren't Athena and Boxey in the later episodes? Why were Maren Jensen and Noah Hathaway fired?
9. Whatever happened to Maren Jensen?
10. Why were so few of the original cast members in Galatica 1980?

P.S. You may also want to include questions and answers regarding a certain taboo topic, because they seem to show up a lot.
skippercollecto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 11th, 2009, 03:15 PM   #2
Darrell Lawrence
Formerly Warrior
The Lone Wolf

SPECIAL ACHIEVEMENT AWARDOwner:
Colonial Fleets
3D Gladiators
Former Webmaster:
BattlestarGalactica.com
RichardHatch.com
GreatWarofMagellan.com
Web Tech:
LauretteSpang.com
DirkBenedictCentral.com
TombsofKobol.com

Default Re: would like to create a sticky

Good idea. Consider it stuck right here. It's your thread!
"Legends never die... They just get new Captains."
"Respect the past. It brought you the present."
Darrell Lawrence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 12th, 2009, 08:20 AM   #3
Charybdis
Battlestar Callisto

Default Re: Classic BSG F.A.Q.

Wasn't there something like this on the old kobol.com website? I remember that it answered many of these same questions...

http://bscallisto.proboards.com/index.cgi
Charybdis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 12th, 2009, 01:36 PM   #4
Darrell Lawrence
Formerly Warrior
The Lone Wolf

SPECIAL ACHIEVEMENT AWARDOwner:
Colonial Fleets
3D Gladiators
Former Webmaster:
BattlestarGalactica.com
RichardHatch.com
GreatWarofMagellan.com
Web Tech:
LauretteSpang.com
DirkBenedictCentral.com
TombsofKobol.com

At one time.

With this one though, everyone can participate and discuss and it'd be right here instead of having to track it down at another site
"Legends never die... They just get new Captains."
"Respect the past. It brought you the present."
Darrell Lawrence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 12th, 2009, 04:39 PM   #5
Reaper
Warrior ACE!

This is a loaded question and one we have recently started discussing over at Blackstar Squadron. Basically you get two lines of thought. That there are 12 Battlestars, one for Each Colony and the second is, Who knows, but more then 12.

Off the top of my head the named Battlestars we get are:
Rycon (destroyed or decommissioned)
Atlantia
Pasifica
Pegasus
Columbia
Triton
Galactica

What Apollo, Starbuch and possibly Sheba (not sure if she ever really gets to look in the Ship) is a creature with a cloven hoof. Again, there are 2 stories here. one is that the scene was filmed but cut due to ABC censors being worried about such overt satanic imagery on Broadcast TV. The second is that it was in the script, but not filmed for the same reason. Is was basically to show that Iblis was the devil.

I know of 2 definate variations of the pilot, the 2 hour theatrical movie release and the 3 hour TV premiere event. Obviously 1 hour of the TV version had been cut out of the Movie version. One of the biggest differences is that in the theatrical version, Baltar is executed infront of the Imperious Leader by the Centurion. in the TV version, he was spared at the last minute.

The biggest name change is the Character of Apollo was supposed to be called Skyler. Other then that, I have no clue.

It's my understanding that Serina was always supposed to die. In the Pilot, There was a cut subplot where Serina was dying of Pluton Poisioning. She knew she was dying and looking to find someone to take care of Boxey. If you look at the way Serina is portayed, she seems to have less and less energy through the pilot. This is cause she was getting closer to death.

Sometime before the pilot was shown, it was decided that this plot would be cut, and Serina in fact survives the Pilot. She was asked to return for the series but said no. (in fact, I read somewhere she was upset so much of the subplot was dropped and surprised her character lived) She agreed to do "Lost Planet of the gods" but made sure her character died this time. Serina was a much stronger character this time around and stood up for herself. a Much better showing for her. And I am Sorry she was killed off, personally.

Simple answer, no one knows. It was left vague on purpose. There were plans for a second season Show having Cain return to the fleet and if I remember correctly, disappear again, this time taking Sheba with him. I don't think there was a definate death scene planned. Althoguh I hear the original ending of living Legend had the Pegasus ramming one of the baseships. Not sure about that though.

As to what happened to him, No one knows.

8. Why weren't Athena and Boxey in the later episodes? Why were Maren Jensen and Noah Hathaway fired?
I do not believe they were fired so much as they ran out of ways to include them in the stories. Glen Larson had to know that the Network was fighting to cancel them. And it can't be easy to have a little kid involved in stories about soldiers. How many times is it believible that Boxey would stow away on a mission? how often can you interject a scene with Adama and Boxey wondering when Apollo would be back? can you have Apollo stop and talk to Boxey before boarding the BaseShip? yes, but it cuts into the action. I think havnig a child like that doesn't lend itself to being included in every show every season. His appearence in Living Legend was basically a cameo. But Fire In Space allowed him to have a major role. Even Gun on Ice Planet Zero he was shuffled aside alot.

As for Maren Jensen, I've heard and read that not many were pleased with her acting behind the scenes. The "memo" about season 2 had The Character Athena being recast and having an accident to explain the new Actress. (total facial reconstruction) I also think she was a victem of loosing the fight for Starbuck's affection. Personally, I believe Cassie was the better love interest for Starbuck. I think there was more chemistry there (although personally believe Maren the better looking woman) once you broke the love triangle plotline, Athena became a disposable character. Her position on the bridge could be done by Omega and Rigel, and was done by them. I personally think it was an underused position, and having her bounce between bridge duty and viper duty would have made the character more interesting. And allowed her to play off more of the characters. I think the death of the Character was having her as the school teacher in Greetings from Earth.

It would seem that Miss Jensen quit acting, moved away from holloywood and has lived her own life. She doesnt' do conventions, hasn't been in any of the material on the web concerning the series stars, and I don't think anyone from the show is still in contact with her.

Galactica 1980 was to be the only way to save BSG. IT was set in the future, and was to be more family oriented. I believe that no one was asked to return to the series, but Lorne Greene approached Glen Larson, believing in BSG and asked to be included. That's why Adama is in the Show. Herb Jefferson as Colonel Boomer might have just been a play to get another familiar face into the production. A sort of way to Try to bring in more original series fans.

The Return of Starbuch was a stunt show. They knew it was bombing, even the BSG fans were leaving, and it was afinal Hail Mary to save the show. the concept was to bring Starbuck back as a Being of Light in the Second season. Thank the Lords of KOBOL that this never came about.!!!!

Classic fan, and die hard!
Reaper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 21st, 2009, 08:30 PM   #6
WarMachine
Warrior

In re Maren Jensen, having gone through the DVD outtakes, I can definitely say that her best scenes were all cut - every one of them. She was reduced to a flouncy bimbo 15 minutes into 'Saga'.

I'd have left, too.

If it were me, I'd have written some dramatic show-down, where she definitively loses out to Cassie, then requests to transfer off the bridge to help rebuild Red Squadron, ending up as the Squadron Leader - Jensen could have done that part well - and butting heads with Apollo, her now-direct superior in his post of Strike Leader (which would have, in 1979, made two-thirds of the Galactica's Squadron Leaders women!).....Of course, I would also have stuck with the 'Saga' novelization version of her, where she was already a highly qualified Viper-driver, functionally equivalent to an IP (Instructor Pilot) -- talk about missed opportunities!

In effect, the on-screen version of Athena makes Adama look like he gave her a job on the bridge because she was basically useless for anything else.
Old October 22nd, 2009, 01:11 AM   #7
KJ
Strike Leader

Athena by far was a much better character in the novels and unfilmed scripts, its so ironic that in all of the scripts that weren't filmed, Athena was more far more active and prominant as well (barring 'Two for Twilly').

Even Richard Hatch knows of how originally large the character role of his sister was suppose to be, and thus made her more of a genuine BSG supporting character in the Hatch novels.

Several of the smaller television staff writers, were either very sexist or didn't know or want to write up a stronger female character for her (Maren). Then again the series was rushed out cos of executives, so the writing was always in question anyhow? didn't stop Larson from realising this and making the character of Sheba to fill in for Athena and making the Cassiopea role also get more limelight cos of the missing "Athena" character part etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by skippercollecto
2. What are the names of the 12 Colonies?

P.S. You may also want to include questions and answers regarding a certain taboo topic, because they seem to show up a lot.

1) 5 Remaining Battlestars during the end of the 1.000 Yahren war with the Cylons! But many more must have been operational during the 1.000 years of war with the Cylons. The Pegasus turns up later, but was thought destroyed 2 years previously. Several are mentioned by name in the episodes (Rycon, Columbia respectively), and others referenced in the novels.

2) Basically retooled named based on the 12 signs of the Zodiac. I'm a fan of the series, but even i haven't studied the names of the colonies off by heart, lol.

3) Cloven Hooves, representing Iblis minions. Whether they were evil willing followers or mere victims of the Count's trickry as adama theorized is up for debate? But their fall presented us with the 'biblical' casting out of heaven, far as Iblis and his forces/minions losing a war with the Ship Of Lights (i.e. Angels).

Because of the clever references to Commander Cain and the Pegasus, size of the wreckage being as big as a Battlestar, and the line; you will see your father again. Led many at the time to think that the wrecked ship of Count Iblis, was the Pegasus and the body Starbuck and Apollo saw inside was Cain's, when in fact it wasn't.

4) The original 1978 broadcast version (longest cut in movie form, which is on the 2003 region 1 DVD), 2 hour movie version, the syndicated 3 part TV version (with cuts because of cable length running time etc.) was the most common well known longest TV version until the DVD release in 2003.

3 official versions.

4 cuts, If you include the rough cut the studios saw with the 'Colonial Anthem' ending which may have been 6 hours or so with; raw scenes, padding, unseen SFX etc. The pilot was filmed and shot by Richard A Colla for 28 days (so info and rumors today says?) and finished and taken over by, Alan J Levi.

5) Skyler for Apollo, Boomer was Sgt (Sargeant) and not a Lieutenant but thats more a rank issue if anything, Serina was called Lyra. There was mention of a droid in one of the drafts called 'Zeus' who bickers with Starbuck, but was dropped later on seeing as a race of different humans are at war with a race of machines (why have one of your own?) etc.

6) Jane Seymour didn't want to do a weekly TV show at the time. This was long before her famous Dr Quinn Medicine Woman role. Nuff said.

7) Disappeared after destroying Two Cylon Basestars at close range. Possibly jumped to "Lightspeed" though simultaneously as it happened. Living Legend ended with mysterious circumstances as to Commander Cain's and his ship's fate. It said, in the earlier draft called The Last Legend, the Pegasus did indeed ram the Cylon Baseships and went out in a 'blaze of glory'! Commander Cain was also supposed to be played by Actor Richard Crenna! Or he at least was in mind by Glen Larson to take the role originally.

8) Left out until the second season i suppose? Both appeared for the last time in Greeting From Earth.

9) Unknown?

10) Casting, budget or the fact most disagreed with the direction of the show after season 1 and figured to hell with it. only Adama and Boomer were seen in G80. Dirk Benedict came back as Starbuck in the last episode as a guest star, in that series only shining standout episode.

Far as my own questions go.

* Why the network interference! They didn't want Benedict for the Starbuck role and wanted somebody else. Turned the Alien Cylon reptiles into machine because of not wanting there to be too much killing of living creatures (few years later 'V' turned up on our screens) plus a whole lot more questions into their interferences with the running of the show etc.

* In some of the unfilmed script stories, who do you think Larson had in mind for the guest parts? The man's "secret weapon" was casting excellent guest roles in the majority of his TV series.

* What kind of military ships do the Colonials have besides Battlestars?

* What did the extinct races in the series mentioned by name look like? Hasaris, Delphians, Reptillain Cylons (apart from the illustrations seen in 'Experiment In Terra Telemovie') etc.

* After the fall of the colonials, who else came under Cylon tyranny? Adama mentions the "Alliance" something dropped after the pilot, and several Aliens were seen in the pilot episode. One has to wonder if the first season dealt with escaping Cylon tyranny (known colonies, sectors, outposts etc), who else would've come under their path of conquest bisde the Rag Tag Fleet?

KJ
Old October 25th, 2009, 03:17 PM   #8
KJ
Strike Leader

Quote:
Originally Posted by WarMachine
If it were me, I'd have written some dramatic show-down, where she definitively loses out to Cassie, then requests to transfer off the bridge to help rebuild Red Squadron, ending up as the Squadron Leader - Jensen could have done that part well - and butting heads with Apollo, her now-direct superior in his post of Strike Leader (which would have, in 1979, made two-thirds of the Galactica's Squadron Leaders women!).....Of course, I would also have stuck with the 'Saga' novelization version of her, where she was already a highly qualified Viper-driver, functionally equivalent to an IP (Instructor Pilot) -- talk about missed opportunities!

In effect, the on-screen version of Athena makes Adama look like he gave her a job on the bridge because she was basically useless for anything else.

If it were up to me. I'd have given Athena a bigger role in season 2, simply cos the execs who put her in the show were horny pigs' who were thinking T&A. So i'd screw them over by making her out to be what she was originally meant to be in the first place, a prominant character in the series. By given Maren Jensen acting classes inbetween the season break and making her a better actress for the role come season 2.

If you put a person in a show, shouldn't you shoulder some of the responsibility of making them shine in that role anyhow? be you a producer, director or casting agent!

I.E. alot better than the Lt Uhura job of being the 'phone operator' on the bridge.

Athena being handled right should've been one of the stronger female characters of the series, even moreso than Sheba or Cassi. And if anything, had she been stronger from the outset, when Sheba came along, she and Athena should've been at odds with one another, Athena having more authority in rank and responsibility and being the rather stiff and by-the-book type Colonial Warrior bridge officer etc opposed to Sheba being the impulsive 'rulebreaker' or headstrong character at times etc.

Only the novels and comics have made her out to be something she was always planned to be. One of 'thee' major main characters of the series!

So many missed opportunites with this show indeed!

KJ