Go Back   Colonial Fleets > ALTERNATE UNIVERSES > Miscellaneous Entertainment
Notices
Miscellaneous Entertainment Talk about any other shows not covered by other forums.

Old May 23rd, 2004, 05:58 AM   #1
kingfish
Strike Leader

COMMAND INSIGNIAAdministrator
Battlestar Pacifica
Battlestar Rycon

Unhappy No !!!!! Another Loss- Dr Franklin.

http://pp226.proboards25.com/index.c...315654&start=0

Repost from:

http://www.b5tv.com/greatmaker/news/288/

Richard Biggs passes away
B5's Doctor Franklin dies suddenly, aged 43
Posted By: AntonyF on 2004-05-23

It's our very sad duty to report on the death of Stephen Biggs, who played Doctor Franklin in Babylon 5. He was 43.

It's an odd twist of fate, as it's only two months ago that Richard's on-screen father in B5, Paul Winfield, passed away.

J. Michael Straczynski broke the news of Richard's death in a post to the moderated B5 newsgroup:

"I was awakened today with several phone calls from cast members and Doug [Netter] to pass along the terrible news that this morning, Richard Biggs passed away.

"We're still gathering information, so take none of this as firm word, but what seems to have happened, happened quickly. He woke up, got up out of bed...and went down. The paramedics who showed up suggested it was either an aneurysm or a massive stroke.

"His family members have been informed, and all of the the cast have, as far as we can determine, also been informed.

"This is a terrible loss for all of us. Richard was a consummate professional but more than that he was an honorable, stand-up guy. If he gave you his word on something, you never had to wonder about it afterward. He was always helpful and supportive of all the cast, even those who only came in for one episode, always with a ready smile and determined to do whatever it took to make the scene work. He was, quite simply, a terrific guy, and everyone here is just devastated at the news.

"More word as this develops. We may try to have some kind of fund raiser to help give whatever assistance may be helpful for his kids.

"We all miss him terribly."

Biggs brought Franklin to our screens from the first regular episode of B5 "Midnight on the Firing Line", to the very last episode "Sleeping in Light". He appeared in two out of the three TNT-produced TV movies, "In the Beginning" and "Thirdspace", and reprising his character of Franklin was the only major B5 actor to appear in short-lived spin-off Crusade.

Away from B5 his TV appearances included Days of Our Lives, Tremors, J.A.G., NYPD Blue and Touched by an Angel.

Sympathies from everyone at B5TV.COM go out to Stephen's friends and families. This is is B5 fandom's equivalent to the loss of Deforest Kelly from Star Trek. B5 fandom will no longer be complete without his valued attendances at conventions, and without what might have been his inclusion in the new B5 project. He will be missed.

This is a targic loss. He was only on NYPD Blue.
kingfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 23rd, 2004, 06:14 AM   #2
Stevew
Fleet Modeling Machine!

What a shame I really liked him, he will be missed
Stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 23rd, 2004, 01:24 PM   #3
jewels
Stablemaster, Livery Ship

FORUM STAFFFleet Modertor
Colonial Fleets

He was on a lot of shows as a guest and I know he was one of those actors that would step in and help young, independent filmakers with their projects.

"May have been the losing side. Still not convinced it was the wrong one." Malcolm Reynolds [/color]

"We don't dictate to countries, we liberate countries." Mitt Romney [/color]
jewels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 24th, 2004, 08:01 AM   #4
unowhoandwhy
Strike Leader

From all I have heard he was a wonderful man as well as actor and leaves behind a wife and two small children. My heart goes out to them in their time of loss.

Each smallest act of kindness reverbrates across great distances and spans of time, affecting lives unknown to the one whose generous spirit was the source of this good echo, because kindness is passed on and grows each time it's passed, until a simple courtesy becomes an act of selfless courage years later and far away. Likewise, each small meanness, each expression of hatred, each act of evil.

This Momentous Day, H. R. White

unowhoandwhy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 24th, 2004, 04:02 PM   #5
shiningstar
Bad Email Address

I was truelly saddened to see the news of Richard Biggs' death. It is
a terrible loss for us all
shiningstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 24th, 2004, 05:36 PM   #6
warhammerdriver
Bad Email Address

Unhappy

He will be sorely missed.
warhammerdriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 24th, 2004, 06:04 PM   #7
shiningstar
Bad Email Address

Quote:
Originally Posted by warhammerdriver
He will be sorely missed.
His Loss at such a young age reminded me of a lesson I learned in
Sunday school. The teacher asked us to tell the difference between
Methesaluh who lived 900 years and was gone ..........and another
patrioch who lived 156 years who died and was missed.

Neither I nor my fellow students understood what he was trying to
say. So he told us. He told us it's not the 'length' of the days that
we live. It's HOW we live the 'length' of our days and who we can
touch while we live them.

I think this describes the loss of RIchard Biggs well. WHile he
didn't live what anyone could call a LONG Life .........his LIFE
touched all of us who watch B5 and who were blessed
enough to attend the conventions which he attended.
shiningstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 25th, 2004, 07:20 AM   #8
Tibbetts
Warrior

Richard Biggs will be sorely missed by B5 Fans such as myself. My thoughts are with his family and friends in this difficult time.

May he rest in peace.

Respectfully,

Dragon Lord Tibbetts

Old May 25th, 2004, 09:49 AM   #9
holodoc2000
Colonel

Richard Biggs has been one of my favorite actors since he first appeared on Days of Our Lives. Then when I saw him on Babylon 5 it was like seeing him on a regular basis again doing what he loved. The first time that I got the chance to meet Richard was on the 1994 Alaskan Cruise Trek. He was friendly to talk to then and friendly to talk to again when I met him again a couple years ago when he attended DragonCon.

Richard will be missed by me and many others I am sure. I'm glad I have the memories of being able to meet him in person and will cherish those memories and just enjoy watching the B5 dvd's I have in my collection of dvd's.

Dr Delen & Capt. Jadzia Jaspin (Warriors & Rebels)

http://www.geocities.com/bsgrebels/

Athena Avengers!
http://www.geocities.com/bsgathena
holodoc2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 25th, 2004, 12:22 PM   #10
jewels
Stablemaster, Livery Ship

FORUM STAFFFleet Modertor
Colonial Fleets

Everyone: his family would like to have a memory box for his 2 boys with stories of people meeting him, also Pat Tallman (she played the red-headed telepath) posts on a B5 board and will take condolenses and stories from there for his family. I'll collect this thread tonight and post it over there, or you can post directly on her thread.

If you have a story to tell about Richard Biggs, or just want to share your sympathy, please post it here or directly on the thread link http://www.thegalacticgateway.com/ph...opic.php?t=344

Quote:
Anyone wishing to send a paper card to Rick's family should send it to:
Mrs. Laurie Biggs
c/o Pat Tallman
6433 Topanga Canyon Blvd. #207
Canoga Park, CA 91303
They also noted this on the galactic gateway board, Biggs has 2 young sons so a trust fund is being set up for them:
Quote:
In lieu of flowers, donations may be made for the benefit of the sons of Richard James Biggs II to:

Washington Mutual Bank
840 N. San Fernando Blvd.
Burbank, CA 91502
The admin of that board is also doing a collection for them to send on through Pat if that seems to be a better option.
http://www.thegalacticgateway.com/ph...opic.php?t=379

"May have been the losing side. Still not convinced it was the wrong one." Malcolm Reynolds [/color]

"We don't dictate to countries, we liberate countries." Mitt Romney [/color]
jewels is offline   Reply With Quote