Go Back   Colonial Fleets > BATTLESTAR GALACTICA DISCUSSION AREA > The Last Battlestar......Galactica!
Notices
The Last Battlestar......Galactica! For discussions about the ORIGINAL series
What Dreams May Come!

Old February 24th, 2003, 06:27 AM   #1
LucianG
Warrior

Default The 12 Colonies

There was a question regarding the 12 Colonies on the Battlestar Galactica Gold Squadron Board, so I'm crossposting my response here for anyone who might not be familiar with the answer. In a nutshell, the question was,

"What were the names of the colonies and what were the planets like?"

Courtesy of the archive section of Chris Pappas' www.kobol.com, which fortunately has returned after a break:

"From The Official Battlestar Galactica Scrapbook (pg. 14):

The twelve human Colonies in space bore names that are easily recognizable on Earth... Caprica, Gemoni, Canceria, Piscon, Sagitara, Leo, Libra, Aquaria, Virgon, Aeriana, Taura, Scorpio -- all are similar to the names that Earth humans have given to the constellations visible in their night sky, the only twelve that the star appears to pass through during the span of a year."

It's interesting to note that the Official Battlestar Galactica Writers' Guide only listed eight of these, leaving out Aquaria, Canceria, Leo, and Libra. Also, in the Writers' Guide, the planet Piscon is called Picon, Sagitara is called Sagitaria, and Aeriana is called Aeries.

Another interesting source, though not entirely accurate according to the above, is

http://www.msu.edu/~stacey/Galactica/gal-colonies.htm

This site gives a fan's idea of the breakdown of the percentages of population, industry, etc., for each of the colonies in comparison to the Colonies as a whole. Again, a few of the names as slightly different, and in at least one case, the names of the capital and the planet split the differences.

Now, we'll see if any of this is used by Ron Moore, or if he invents new colony names. I can see it now:

Hammer's Planet, Moore's Planet, Eick's...
LucianG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 24th, 2003, 08:40 AM   #2
KJ
Strike Leader

This all if you chose to see all of this as cannon? Most of this is fan fiction (stacey's is the most interesting) We all know Galactica was a rushed production so i wouldn't be to incline to solve all the unanswered questioned or plothole of the original series.

Had the series continued it may have expanded on the lifestyles of the colonials much more than they did, in either flashbacks or one off stories centred around the pre-holocaust events of Battlestar Galactica.

It's is interesting and fascinating to get into LucianG, names written down often get changed or messed around. Fans have a hard enough time figuring out the Battlestar names and such as well as elements not trully brought up or mentioned properly when the sereis aired.

Like novelists fans introduce their own sci-fi names, concepts or alter certain names and places to tell their stories within their own universe which they stage their adventures.

Think you have to drawn a line to make out the definate "Fan Fiction elements" from possible "Taken from BG production, novels, Battlestar Galactica glossary guide books" catergories so discussions won't be confusing to outline cannon from fiction!

(i.e. What went on in the show. The novels. Fan fiction. Names in Technical Journel books etc?)

Are you saying Ron Moore will be desperate to steal/borrow names mentioned in fandom/cannon to fiddle, alter, play around with and change to suit his script needs?

Till this remake/prequel gets filming who knows but you raise an interesting point. It's not just the names! What were the individual colonies like? Let alone bringing up their Cultures, Races, Religions, Governments, Industries and huge populations of their respected planets.

And nay sayers say, the series wasn't deep or didn't have a large vast canvas of possiblities and stories to go into.

KJ
KJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 24th, 2003, 09:27 AM   #3
KJ
Strike Leader

Since we know as fans the first version of Battlestar Galactica was an original test screening which may have been 3 + pilot in length maybe more was mentioned in that particular cut of the pilot. Glen Larson seemed to rush everything along with the fact ABC made the decision to rush the pliot movie into a series soon afterwards. I got a an interesting statement made by a certain director on test screenings which might enlighten some on bad decisions made to the process of the good stuff being left out and the story being altered to shorten or change things against the original planned out ideas to bring the story to an audience.

{Hollywood heavyweight Steven Spielberg has slated the age-old practice of test-screening new movies - claiming they are no help to directors. The Minority Report filmmaker argues that, in his experience, such events have been of no assistance and they can even lead movie bosses to make the wrong decisions in editing films. He says, "I stopped testing six years before the internet was invented. I just found that the test screenings for Hook, Always, The Color Purple and Empire Of The Sun didn't teach me anything. In fact, it got me to cut things out to please the audience that I wouldn't normally cut out. An audience might respond negatively on a Wednesday night, so you'd make all these changes, but you could take that same film and show it to a different audience on the following Friday and get a positive reaction. To make an assumption that 400 people on a Wednesday night can tell you where you've gone right and where you've gone off, is not representative of how your film will be perceived across America."}

Along with that all i can say for the question of the colonies names and all, look to the novels (Berkleys)

They offer another POV in the little things mentioned, example Adama's raid in the Caprica museam inwhich he took more items of colonial works (Book of the word, art, paintings etc) thus describing Capricas history some what to Apollo later, after the exodus?

Well at least Caprica had come light shed on it?

KJ
Old February 24th, 2003, 10:06 AM   #4
LucianG
Warrior

My point with the names is that if Apollo becomes Lee Adama, call sign Apollo, and Adama becomes William Adama, call sign Husker, I wouldn't be too surprised to see other names changed as well. I was using the suggestions as extreme examples to illustrate absurdity, but I wouldn't be surprised to see something very different than in the original. To begin, in the released version of the script, I understand that all 12 colonies were on the planet Kobol, though it has been suggested that this may have changed in a rewrite.
Old February 24th, 2003, 10:57 AM   #5
KJ
Strike Leader

Sorry went overboard then thought you wanted to really talk shop about the colonies.

KJ

Last edited by KJ; February 25th, 2003 at 06:45 AM..
Old February 24th, 2003, 07:13 PM   #6
LucianG
Warrior

Part of my frustration is exactly what KJ is saying. We know there were twelve colonies, but we know very little about most of them. There was and is a huge wealth of potential, with a great many stories that could be told about the colonies, but RDM's production threatens to overwrite what went before.

As related to the mythology of the original series, we can conclude, as on the Battlestar Restoration site, that our astrological signs are related in at least some manner to life or conditions on the Colony of that name. This could be that the planet and its name inspired the corresponding sign, or that the planet was named after something older, probably because it reminded them of the older name in some way or another.

Now, if the Colonies gave their names to the astrological signs, then this would have required there to be contact with Earth after the 13th tribe settled here. We know from Adama's readings that at least someone or possibly some group necessarily must have journeyed from Earth back to find the Colonies, or from the Colonies to Earth and back, for them (the "modern" Colonials) to know about Earth in the first place. However, since the location was lost in antiquity, this contact must have been either very limited or very sporadic, and something eventually caused it to stop.

Speaking of "stop," I'm about to fall asleep, so I'm not sure if this said what I think I was trying to say. I'll reread it tomorrow and if not, I'll try to add to it to clarify my befuddlement. Good night, everyone.
Old March 25th, 2003, 12:25 PM   #7
Belloby
Bad Email Address

There was always great potential for Battlestar Galactica, but little time. Production was always hurried and there was little guidance from Glen Larson.

Had there been a second season, no doubt we would've known more.
Belloby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 25th, 2003, 03:03 PM   #8
BST
Snowball, My Angel Baby

COMMAND INSIGNIAAdmin
Colonial Fleets

Quote:
We know from Adama's readings that at least someone or possibly some group necessarily must have journeyed from Earth back to find the Colonies, or from the Colonies to Earth and back, for them (the "modern" Colonials) to know about Earth in the first place.
Lucian,

An alternative may have been that the "travellers" stumbled upon the thirteenth tribe's exodus route, in the last lord's temple/pyramid, on Kobol, much the same way that Adama, Apollo, and Serina did. Maybe they were the survivors of a group of graverobbers that Adama alluded to when he, Apollo, and Serina were on their way to the burial chamber.

I know, all of this is conjecture. But, this is the fun part of the forum -- debating ideas, philosophies, etc.

BST
BST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 26th, 2003, 04:28 AM   #9
LucianG
Warrior

BST,

That's a good point, but there had to be some information travel back for the existence of Earth to have been known. Still, the thirteenth tribe's members wouldn't have had to go the entire way themselves. It could have been word of mouth from planet to planet over many yahrens, with the possibly even changing slightly, or even in major ways, over time. Having it end up in a tomb, passed on by graverobbers would be a good link in the chain.

You're right on the second point, too. Conjecture is fun, especially when there's little (or better yet, nothing!) out there to say you're definitely "wrong!"
Old March 26th, 2003, 01:37 PM   #10
BST
Snowball, My Angel Baby

COMMAND INSIGNIAAdmin
Colonial Fleets

Lucian,

You know, when I wrote that reply, it 'sounded good', but as you've pointed out, it would have been necessary for someone to have gone to Earth in order for its existence to be known. Now, I see that 'little detail' clear as day!

YIKES!!!

"Of all the things I've lost in my life, I miss my MIND the most!!"

Take care,

BST
Old March 26th, 2003, 01:59 PM   #11
Dawg
Great Wise Guru

COMMAND INSIGNIAAdmin
ColonialFleets.com
SPECIAL ACHIEVEMENT AWARDCo-Owner
TombsofKobol.com
Owner/Webmaster
DirkBenedictCentral.com
Colonial Fan ForceCo-Founder
Colonial Fan Force

Default Uh, guys?

The 12 colonies always knew about the 13th tribe, and they always knew that the 13th tribe went to a planet called "Earth". They just never knew the course the 13th tribe went, therefore they did not know where Earth was.

When Adama was in the pyramid on Kobol, reading the hyroglyphics, he had just found the part that told of the 13th tribe's exodus. The Cylon bombardment destroyed the writing as Adama was reading it, so he never was able to decifer the course they took.

They finally got the course from the beings in the lightships (the Lords of Kobol?) after their first encounter with Iblis.

Beyond the mythical references, the Cylons had no idea where Earth was, either.

At least, that's what I remember.

I am
Dawg

My Places:

DirkBenedictCentral.com, Facebook: Dirk Benedict Central Twitter: @DBCdotCOM Dirk's appearances: Appearances

Tombs of Kobol
Dawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 26th, 2003, 02:33 PM   #12
Artemis
Warrior

One of the books, and I don't remember which at the moment, said that the reason the people on Kobol knew about where the 13th tribe went was because a trader came back to Kobol from there. However, the current lord of Kobol didn't want his subjects rushing off to this place called Earth and kept the exact location a secret which later died with him. I remember it had something to do with a story about a moon miner that was a bed time story or something. Sorry I'm not being much help, I seem to be remembering it in pieces and I still don't know where I read it.
Old March 26th, 2003, 02:36 PM   #13
LucianG
Warrior

Quote:
The 12 colonies always knew about the 13th tribe, and they always knew that the 13th tribe went to a planet called "Earth". They just never knew the course the 13th tribe went, therefore they did not know where Earth was.
Dawg,

I agree about the first part. My problem with the second part is that Adama knew of the existence of Earth as a shining blue planet. Unless the members of the thirteenth tribe leaving Kobol said, “We’re going to go find and settle on a shining blue planet and we’re going to call it Earth,” there must have been some word that got back to Kobol or possibly even the Colonies that the thirteenth tribe actually reached said planet.

Lucian

Last edited by LucianG; March 26th, 2003 at 02:38 PM..
Old March 26th, 2003, 02:37 PM   #14
kingfish
Strike Leader

COMMAND INSIGNIAAdministrator
Battlestar Pacifica
Battlestar Rycon

Default I Have Seen Earth

This was suppossed to be one of the scripts for the second season of BG.
kingfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 26th, 2003, 02:39 PM   #15
Philloz

Quote:
Originally posted by Artemis
I remember it had something to do with a story about a moon miner that was a bed time story or something. Sorry I'm not being much help, I seem to be remembering it in pieces and I still don't know where I read it.
The moon miner story comes from one of Adama's journals in the very first book, titled simply "Battlestar Galactica," by Glen Larson and Robert Thurston. It's pretty easy to find in second-hand bookstores, and was recently reissued in a tradepaperback as "Battlestar Galactica Classic," a two-in-one volume that also contains the second novel, "The Cylon Death Machine."
Old March 26th, 2003, 03:01 PM   #16
Belloby
Bad Email Address

Default Re: I Have Seen Earth

Quote:
Originally posted by kingfish
This was suppossed to be one of the scripts for the second season of BG.
Yes it was. It was in the episode where Adama was sick, Boxey came to visit him and Adama told him the story.
Belloby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 26th, 2003, 03:03 PM   #17
Dawg
Great Wise Guru

COMMAND INSIGNIAAdmin
ColonialFleets.com
TombsofKobol.com
Owner/Webmaster
DirkBenedictCentral.com
Colonial Fan Force

Default Hmmmm...

Now that you mention it, I now recall that episode where Starbuck was in that prison and found the solar system map on the wall.

I don't remember much about the books, even though at one time I owned them all. I remember the series much better. And I know they didn't know where Earth was on the series, just that it was out there, somewhere beyond the heavens......

Belloby, wasn't that the episode where Galactica was on fire? NO, it was when Boomer(?) skipped decon and all the pilots got sick.

I am
Dawg

My Places:

DirkBenedictCentral.com, Facebook: Dirk Benedict Central Twitter: @DBCdotCOM Dirk's appearances: Appearances

Tombs of Kobol

Last edited by Dawg; March 26th, 2003 at 03:08 PM..
Old March 26th, 2003, 03:05 PM   #18
kingfish
Strike Leader

COMMAND INSIGNIAAdministrator
Battlestar Pacifica
Battlestar Rycon

Default Re: Hmmmm...

Quote:
Originally posted by Dawg
Now that you mention it, I now recall that episode where Starbuck was in that prison and found the solar system map on the wall.

I don't remember much about the books, even though at one time I owned them all. I remember the series much better. And I know they didn't know where Earth was on the series, just that it was out there, somewhere beyond the heavens......

I am
Dawg

The Long Patrol was the episode in which Starbuck was imprisoned. It was the silent one who had drawn a map on the wall of the solar system containing Earth.
kingfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 26th, 2003, 03:36 PM   #19
BST
Snowball, My Angel Baby

COMMAND INSIGNIAAdmin
Colonial Fleets

You know, the whole issue about the Thirteenth Tribe and the direction it took, was one of those 'missing links' that never had the opportunity to be expanded. Granted, Adama knew of the existence of the Thirteenth Tribe and their decision to go a different direction, lliterally, than the other Twelve Tribes. But, there are some nagging questions:

For instance, how did Adama know the proper course to take (to reach Earth) when the Colonials made their escape from Caprica and the Colonies?

Did he know the course to Kobol and was he trying to get there in the hopes of getting some clues as to the Thirteenth Tribe's course?

Was their course documented, in the temple hieroglyphics, or were merely the events leading up to the exodus what was documented?

Was he hoping to make contact with the beings from the Ship of Lights in order to find the proper course? (He apparently knew of the beings, when he indicated to Apollo in "War of the Gods", I believe, that the beings were mentioned in the Book of the Word).

These questions are based on my own, personal interpretation from the original (televised) series. I am only considering the happenings of the original shows to be canon, nothing else. If I am wrong in this assumption, please let me know.

YIKES -- my memory seems to be the only part of me that's getting thin!!

BST
Old March 26th, 2003, 04:12 PM   #20
Artemis
Warrior

Quote:
Originally posted by Philloz

The moon miner story comes from one of Adama's journals in the very first book, titled simply "Battlestar Galactica," by Glen Larson and Robert Thurston. It's pretty easy to find in second-hand bookstores, and was recently reissued in a tradepaperback as "Battlestar Galactica Classic," a two-in-one volume that also contains the second novel, "The Cylon Death Machine."
That's were it was. You're right the first few are easy to find used but you start looking for any of the later ones and it gets difficult. I was only missing vol 12 and ended up buying it on ebay a few years ago.
Old March 26th, 2003, 04:32 PM   #21
Dawg
Great Wise Guru

COMMAND INSIGNIAAdmin
ColonialFleets.com
TombsofKobol.com
Owner/Webmaster
DirkBenedictCentral.com
Colonial Fan Force

Default Hey, BST!

From the best of my recollection, it went as follows:

I don't think Adama knew the course, he took a best guess.

He did not know the course to Kobol - he happened upon the void (I can't remember what they called it) and figured it was the void mentioned in the Book of the Word, and Kobol would be at the center of it.

My recollection is the temple hieroglyphics documented both the events leading up to the exodus and the course each tribe took (but then the Cylons shot it up as he was reading them and he had to leave without that specific knowledge).

I don't think he expected to make contact with the Ships of Light - as I recall, only a few of the regulars ever did, and he wasn't one of them. I liken it to a priest meeting angels - probably not in this life.

Some will include the books as part of the 'canon' of BSG, some won't. I don't, because the books were almost all rewrites of episodes, and I'm also one that doesn't include BSG80 in the formula.

You may correct me if I'm wrong (as if you wouldn't).

I am
Dawg

My Places:

Tombs of Kobol
Old March 26th, 2003, 07:15 PM   #22
LucianG
Warrior

Quote:
YIKES -- my memory seems to be the only part of me that's getting thin!!
BST,

If that is all, consider yourself fortunate. Some of us original BG fans have not only thinning memories but also thinning hair.

Lucian

"Tilting at the SciFi windmill"
Old October 20th, 2006, 10:44 PM   #23
Lyra
Bad Email Address

Battlestar Galactica 1978 Ophiuchi or just descendants of the 12 tribes

I'd just like to add to whatever it is, about the 12 colonies we're discussing here, that, indeed yes they're names are very recognisable to earthlings in regards to our 12 zodiac signs.
I understand the mother civilization that established the great 12 colonies were 12 tribes from Kobol.

Equally, they found 12 planets for each tribe, all in the same solar system, to settle on.

Now, we are to believe that a 13th tribe went out into space to colonize elsewhere, leaving their human brothers behind.

Call me picky, but upon some thought, I think that 13th tribe should have had some individual tribal name, alike to the rest of their brother tribes.
Or are we to assume the 13th tribe were simply made up of numbers from each of the existing twelve tribes????
Interestingly, I came across a write up about a thirteenth zodiac.....it is called "OPHIUCHUS" (PRONOUNCED: O'phi'ookus)
Apparently, part of this constellation does have the sun passing in front of it, between Scorpius and Sagittarius...
Maybe the 13th tribe may have been Ophiuchi, with their very own matching constellation in the heavens. By the way, Ophiuchus is the SERPENT BEARER in mythology.
Makes one think, now doesn't it?
Lyra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 23rd, 2006, 07:32 PM   #24
_No_Name_
Shuttle Pilot

Quote:
Originally Posted by BST
Lucian,

An alternative may have been that the "travellers" stumbled upon the thirteenth tribe's exodus route, in the last lord's temple/pyramid, on Kobol, much the same way that Adama, Apollo, and Serina did. Maybe they were the survivors of a group of graverobbers that Adama alluded to when he, Apollo, and Serina were on their way to the burial chamber.

I know, all of this is conjecture. But, this is the fun part of the forum -- debating ideas, philosophies, etc.

BST
Don't forget in the "The Long Patrol" episode the drawings by the "Silent One" that depict Earth's solar system. One can generate several theories on who the "Silent One" was. Some of mine are
  • A being from the ship of lights planting a clue for BSG to find
  • A person from the 13th Colony who was travelling back to Kobol
  • A person from the "outer colonies" who was knew more about the 13th colony
_No_Name_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 1st, 2006, 11:42 PM   #25
Sarika
Strike Leader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lyra
I'd just like to add to whatever it is, about the 12 colonies we're discussing here, that, indeed yes they're names are very recognisable to earthlings in regards to our 12 zodiac signs.
I understand the mother civilization that established the great 12 colonies were 12 tribes from Kobol.

Equally, they found 12 planets for each tribe, all in the same solar system, to settle on.

Now, we are to believe that a 13th tribe went out into space to colonize elsewhere, leaving their human brothers behind.

Call me picky, but upon some thought, I think that 13th tribe should have had some individual tribal name, alike to the rest of their brother tribes.
Or are we to assume the 13th tribe were simply made up of numbers from each of the existing twelve tribes????
Interestingly, I came across a write up about a thirteenth zodiac.....it is called "OPHIUCHUS" (PRONOUNCED: O'phi'ookus)
Apparently, part of this constellation does have the sun passing in front of it, between Scorpius and Sagittarius...
Maybe the 13th tribe may have been Ophiuchi, with their very own matching constellation in the heavens. By the way, Ophiuchus is the SERPENT BEARER in mythology.
Makes one think, now doesn't it?
Hi Lyra, what a fascinating thought here, and I agree, why didn't the thirteenth tribe posses a name that truely identifies them, alike to the other twelve. Or was the 13th tribe only consisiting of numbers of each tribe, mixed up into one tribe?
The Ophiuchus possibility is something to ponder on and chew on!
Does anyone else have an opinion on this matter?

The Last Piscon Siress

HSH Princess Sarika Her Highness' MySpace
Sarika is offline   Reply With Quote