Go Back   Colonial Fleets > BATTLESTAR GALACTICA DISCUSSION AREA > The Last Battlestar......Galactica!
Notices
The Last Battlestar......Galactica! For discussions about the ORIGINAL series
What Dreams May Come!

Old December 10th, 2003, 04:54 PM   #91
BST
Snowball, My Angel Baby

COMMAND INSIGNIAAdmin
Colonial Fleets

Default Re: Lets talk flawed

Quote:
Originally posted by Internecine
I actually had to sit back and think about this. In TOS, if i recall, Apollo mentioned something about all the cylon fighters just before the attack. How it was 2 or 3 base ships worth. In another episode, the one where they had to attack the base ship to continue on, Adama made mention of a base ship having 200 fighters. So there were at most 600 fighters going around the 12 colonies killing everyone in TOS.

Internecine, you need to do a bit more research into the opening attack at the Peace Conference AND the attack on the Colonies, on TOS:

In the premiere episode, Apollo and Zac discovered the 2 Cylon Tankers and the "thousands"* of Cylon raiders, on patrol, and rushed back to warn the fleet. Apollo made it back, safely, to the Galactica but, Zac's ship was destroyed short of the fleet.

*(probably "hundreds" -- I attribute Apollo's remark about 1000:1 odds as being said during the "heat of the moment")

During Apollo's report to Adama and Tigh, it was suggested that the Cylon raiders used the tankers to refuel after flying there, FROM SOME OTHER POINT which may or may not have been from the Basestars that were nestled in and amongst the Colonies. (This was never fully explained, only suggested).

Quote:
As we saw, they made good work of building and the Fierce logo. Then during the exodus somehow everyone was able to get away, without any attacks. You'd think 600 fighters vs. 12 planets, that's 50 fighters between 'em all. Just sounds fishy to me.
Even if those Basestars, in the Colonies, only had a half-strength complement of Raiders, that would have been quite sufficient to annhilate the Colonies but, only AFTER the fleet had been destroyed (not many ships are needed if there is little or no defense).

Quote:
This is in retort to comments made about the new mini and the use of balistic weapons and nukes. Hey even B5 had nukes! The origional star trek. Lasers are so overrated. Make a ship reflective and bam, your guns are useless =)
In the mini, the use of "bullets" and "nuclear warheads" was done, strictly for budgetary reasons. Sci-Fi produced this mini-series on a shoestring. (This was illustrated in a previous thread here which compared monies spent on the mini to monies spent on the TOS premiere. In "1978 dollars", Sci-Fi spent a comparable amount on the mini as was spent on TOS (on a per hour basis). My opinion is that TOS spent their f/x dollars more wisely.)

BST
You have come to journey's end
Sleep now
And dream of the ones who came before
They are calling
From across the distant shore .

Children are a message that we send
to a time that we will never see.
BST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 10th, 2003, 06:26 PM   #92
Viper4
Bad Email Address

>"Yes,....we WILL fight back but, not here, not now,...... Let the word go forth.........">

I love it!!
Viper4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 10th, 2003, 07:05 PM   #93
Dark_Man
Bad Email Address

Quote:
Originally posted by repcisg
I just had a nasty thought, and after slapping my self in the face I thought I’d share -

Next season on the new series,

Capt Lee Adama is walking briskly down a corridor in the direction of Kara Thrace’s compartment. On the way there he meets her headed in the opposite direction.

“Lieutenant you are with me,” Capt Adama says sharply, then turns to retrace his steps.

“Where are we going?” Says Thrace, following behind him.

“My cabin”

“Why?”

“Commanders orders, we need to make babies!”
/me shuders
/me hides under his desk in complete and total fear...
Dark_Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 11th, 2003, 04:09 AM   #94
Internecine
Shuttle Pilot

Default Ying-yang

I really liked the mushroom clouds. Very realistic. Trevor, it seems like the star trek fans are much like my 2 year old. Whining and all. Maybe they are "collectively" waiting for a perfect rendition of the creators vision as well. If you don't like it, your out of time now, bite the bullet before the galactica runs out. See, Jonahlee, i would not be worried about running out of bullets or paper. You have 2000 people on a ship. That's a minimum of 20,000 feet of toilet paper a day. Assuming 1 number 2 1 time a day, and if the mothers taught there daughters to wipe afterwards. That's 60 rolls of the average toilet paper roll a day. This is assuming they go ot the bathroom. Then again it is just a show, and who really wants to watch baltar going to the bathroom. =)
Internecine is offline   Reply With Quote