BattlestarGalactica.com
RichardHatch.com
GreatWarofMagellan.com
Web Tech:
LauretteSpang.com
DirkBenedictCentral.com
TombsofKobol.com

Battlestar Galactica 1978 The "State of Fleets" Address

Hello everyone. Hope your weekend was a good one.

I just want to update what is going on here at Fleets as well as cover something that has been bugging me.

First off, as had been posted when we first heard of it, in July we lost one of our dearest friends and members, someone who greatly contributed to Fleets and fandom in general- Steve "Stevew" Wilson.

I went to the services for Steve and met his family. Absolutely fine folks. With their permission, 3D models that Steve had on the server will be released for people to use. I'll be releasing them both after I make sure they have proper documentation with them and when the Fleets "overhaul" takes place. Which leads me to...

---

Fleets will be going through a bit of an upgrade in the near future. The script that powers the forums, vBulletin, will be releasing their latest version soon, and included within that is a direct tie-in with the front page interface, ARTICLES, forums, user gallery (within your profile area, not our main Gallery) and user BLOGS.

Note what I put in caps. These are new things in regards to Fleets. The others we have already in one form or another. I am sure there are other little goodies included or will be included. Stay tuned And that leads me to...

---

We had a good relationship with a certain website. That certain website went belly-up for reasons we will NOT get into here at Fleets. Other folk have stepped up to the plate to continue on where that site left off. That is fine and is encouraged. What is NOT encouraged is one snipping at the other HERE AT FLEETS. We do NOT allow off-site fighting/arguing to be brought here. We do NOT allow flaming of others, even within your signature area of your handle/profile.

We DO encourage the promotion of your site. The MORE classic BG sites out there, the better!!! Sites fighting with each other we do NOT encourage.

Fleets was born of a sad situation on another site. Even in the birth of Fleets, the arguing/fighting of that other site was not allowed here. Fleets was, in the beginning, a sub-part of my other website, 3D Gladiators. The original name for it was "The Rag Tag Fleet". Yet another site was using that name. So instead of being a bullheaded, huffy-puffy bunch, we worked with them, and came up with the name "Colonial Fleets". It was a good choice, looking back, as Colonial Fleets rings like a true name for us. When Fleets grew large enough, it was launched on its own. Baby steps.

Just some advice when starting a new site- Don't go pillaging other sites for members. If another site allows for free promotion of your site, take advantage, BUT DO NOT ABUSE the privilege. Additionally, try to come up with your own unique spin on your site rather than copying/taking from others. Lastly, work WITH people rather than be authoritarian. Take responsibility for your actions. Any more fighting/snipping here at Fleets will result in bans. This is NOT a route we want to take, but will in order to maintain the integrity of this site.

---

The announcement of Brian Singer being attached to a Battlestar Galactica movie has fans of the original pretty happy, but news has been REAL slow on that front. We will try to keep you updated as to what is happening/going on.

---

If you're an artist, we want to see your work. We want to see EVERYONE commenting on the work that IS posted in the forums

---

A southern California get-together is in initial planning stages for a meet-up at Disneyland. Interested? Go here.

---
Use the tools available to you here at Fleets. We're fans. We created this site for the fans. Your feedback is appreciated.

---

Thank you and have a wonderful week.
"Legends never die... They just get new Captains."
"Respect the past. It brought you the present."
Darrell Lawrence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 20th, 2009, 12:52 AM   #2
monolith21
Squadron Leader

Default Re: The "State of Fleets" Address

Blogs! That will be cool. I look forward to the updates!

Lt. Killian
Blackstar Squadron
"The Fighting Faithful"

"Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one."
-Albert Einstein
monolith21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 20th, 2009, 06:16 AM   #3
Kronus
CDR Kronus' Grandson

Warrior...this is great news! It is going to be fun with the new features...thanks for the update!
Galactica the Movie is coming soon!
Kronus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 20th, 2009, 10:08 AM   #4
Athene
Galactica's Princess

Blogs! That's AWESOME
Looking forward to the changes.
Thanks Warrior!

Battlestar Earth admin
Galactica's Princess admin
Battlestar Galactica Club Board Theme/Avatar Keeper
Athene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 20th, 2009, 01:13 PM   #5
gmd3d
Major

I am looking forward to doing some Galactica inspired art soon. that upgrade sounds great

"The world is my country, science my religion.”
gmd3d is offline   Reply With Quote