Go Back   Colonial Fleets > BATTLESTAR GALACTICA DISCUSSION AREA > The Last Battlestar......Galactica!
Notices
The Last Battlestar......Galactica! For discussions about the ORIGINAL series
What Dreams May Come!

Old January 13th, 2003, 10:35 AM   #1
Apothis
On Vacation...

Default Question about Baltar?

I was wondering, since Baltar made the deal with the Cylons believing that his Colony was to be spared, did a conspiracy to undermine the other Colonies from Baltar's Colony exist? Also did Baltar's colony know of Baltar's treachery and play a part in in or were they victims like everyone else? The pilot episode does not really give us much insight into Baltar's motivation and what his Colony's part is in this treachery.

Last edited by Apothis; January 13th, 2003 at 01:37 PM..
Apothis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 13th, 2003, 11:25 AM   #2
Apothis
On Vacation...

Default However

Those conquerors in history always had supporters and a master plan to achieve their goals. If Baltar was to establish his power like he infers over the rest of the humans, this would infer he has politcal support. Baltar always struck me as someone who was intelligent but mad. A madman without support would be a just merely a mental patient and Baltar would not be a cunning villian but a really stupid villian. Baltar was obviously a respected Colonial politician since he convince the Council of the Twelve that the the peace was geniune and he himself was a member of the Council of the Twelve.

His goal: To subjugate the human race under him and his Colony.
Means: The Cylons

Definitely a need for political support for Baltar achieve this goal if his Colony remained intact like he bartered for with Imperious Leader. It would foolish of Baltar to assume that the Cylons would care who led the human race after the destruction. Baltar, being an intelligent person would have made deals within his own government to assure his coup.

Last edited by Apothis; January 13th, 2003 at 12:15 PM..
Old January 13th, 2003, 11:46 AM   #3

Default very strong point there

Baltar had to have had backing,human backing .
Old January 13th, 2003, 01:04 PM   #4
Apothis
On Vacation...

Default Alternity_Orange Posted This Response:

Reading A.O. response does show some sort of conspiracy from more than just Baltar.

Date: 01/13/2003

There was a reference in the pilot that's been cut out of the video versions so far. Adam refers to Baltar's "people" as having been the ones who established the ties with the Ovion's world Carillon. This is why he's wary of the planet initially, because of Baltar's "people." If not a reference to his colony, this would indicate Baltar was the leader of at least a faction that were considered just as shifty and untrustworthy as him. Not a full understanding of the backstory but it fills in a little detail.
Old January 13th, 2003, 09:00 PM   #5
Apothis
On Vacation...

The backstory of Baltar's treachery and his people would be an interesting fanfic. Too bad Larson never followed up on this.
Old January 14th, 2003, 06:13 PM   #6
Apothis
On Vacation...

In a prequel, we might get to see this master politician in action.
Old January 15th, 2003, 11:33 PM   #7
KJ
Strike Leader

Nope no prequel, i'd rather have Richard Hatch use some of that footage i heard he shot for his trailers to be used to have Baltar's character come full circle than see a prequel series? If a new production were to use it.

It's like Enterprise all over again? trying to pull a Star Wars Episode 1 by going back and seeing what came before, but it ain't got the magic Star Wars does. Enterprise is suppose to be before Kirk era correct? Yet with todays technology it looks like it set in the 24th century still along side ST: Voyager! This to me parallel's Battlestar Galactica problems in trying to come back let alone see the orginal series events from a prequel side of things? maybe if it was along side a continution series afew years after it established itself once again.

Baltar is the ultimate Judas as the actor Colicos said in a article i can't remember too much about, and he should be played by him alone! How much footage Richard Hatch and his team shot of him for the Hatch BG:SC Trailers! or how he looked in the Baltar role years afterward i don't know. But in any event, i'd like to see John Colicos Seond Coming footage make it into whatever production a new Battlestar Galactica takes. To even honor the man who played the role!!!

KJ
KJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 16th, 2003, 06:36 AM   #8
Apothis
On Vacation...

Well KJ, the BSG story has so much untold. I think a good quality prequel can be made if the right person runs the production.
Old January 17th, 2003, 09:51 AM   #9
KJ
Strike Leader

Check this out, i've done a little digging and guess what i have found out about Baltar?

Go to

http://us.imdb.com/Trivia?0077215

KJ

Enjoy!

Last edited by KJ; January 17th, 2003 at 11:05 AM..
Old January 17th, 2003, 09:56 AM   #10
Apothis
On Vacation...

thanks KJ
Old January 17th, 2003, 11:06 AM   #11
KJ
Strike Leader

Link works now! just needed a capital letter?

KJ
Old January 17th, 2003, 11:16 AM   #12
cobrastrikelead
Bad Email Address

Maybe Baltaar's "people" were able to play the Cylons and the Colonies off against each other to Baltaar's profit. Maybe things had gone too far by the time of the holocast. Perhaps Baltaar had the President's ear and convinced him that an emperor was what was needed to centralize the Colonies and that a peace deal with the Cylons would cement the emperorship. Another tangent might be that Baltaar's people in league with the Pirates and Cylons are able to stage a kidnapping of council-members family members and then stage a "rescue" by the Cylons. This "proves" to the Colonists (are tired of the War in the first place) that the Cylons have turned over a new leaf . The exchange of hostages would be a trust-building move that would serve as the basis for an armistence conference. To finish this tangent, Perhaps Adama spots something out of place like a sun over the supposed Pirate base maybe in one of the kids drawings like they use to calm kids downafter hostage situations. And this makes him wary enough to send Zack and Apollo out on the last patrol at the beginning of "Saga."
cobrastrikelead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 17th, 2003, 12:09 PM   #13
Apothis
On Vacation...

Default Cobrastrikelead

So many interesting backstories can be done about Baltar and his people. Baltar, if written correctly, would have been and can still be, the greatest villian in all of sci fi.
Old January 17th, 2003, 12:25 PM   #14
repcisg
Bad Email Address

Indeed, villans can be so much more fun to create than the good guys.

Perhaps they will do better with the preQ.
repcisg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 17th, 2003, 12:51 PM   #15
KJ
Strike Leader

I still don't agree with a prequel idea but i'm not stuck on continution 24/7 either gotta be open minded as well. But what do you make of Baltar's name, "Summarian" roots according to imdb information? strange no.

Baltar being one of the most famous villains of all time i don't know. Even as a Galactica fan i'm not that bias but it's an interesting notion if the series came back and he was fleshed out more. sci-fi villains are graded though on being remembered in popculture as well as being well written

Villians like Darth Vader,(SW) Q,(ST) Draco/Luicus Malfoy,(HP) Mr Morden,(B5) Lore,(ST) Aries,(H) Saruman,(LOTR) Callisto(Xena), the T-1000(Terminator 2) The ED-209 (RBC) list goes on but these characters are what makes good villians, become legendary and memorable.

KJ

Last edited by KJ; January 17th, 2003 at 01:20 PM..
Old January 17th, 2003, 12:54 PM   #16
Apothis
On Vacation...

Default To KJ2

And with the proper writing, Baltar can meet that criteria. Just the notion of all the political manuevering he must have done prior to the Holocaust has to be very interesting. He did earn the trust of President Adar and he had others who were following him.
Old January 21st, 2003, 11:34 AM   #17
dvo47p
Bad Email Address

Default Apothis I tried to call Baltar via sub-space AT&T

BUT HE WAS BUSY HAVING VERTUAL SEX WITH 6 OF 12 (NOT TO BE CONFUSED WITH 7 OF 9)
dvo47p is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 21st, 2003, 11:39 AM   #18
KJ
Strike Leader

Gee prehaps some of the villians i listed aren't that famous or legendary, but you get the point of it all.

Old January 21st, 2003, 12:11 PM   #19
Apothis
On Vacation...

Default dvo47p

That Baltar never answers the phone with his little Cylon hottie by his side.