Go Back   Colonial Fleets > BATTLESTAR GALACTICA DISCUSSION AREA > The Last Battlestar......Galactica!
Notices
The Last Battlestar......Galactica! For discussions about the ORIGINAL series
What Dreams May Come!

Old January 27th, 2004, 05:56 PM   #1
angry penguin

Question Even If there's a continuation movie,

Does anyone think that Larson will treat Richard Hatch with respect?
After reading articles awhile back, I can't see that Happening. And if that dosen't happen, that dosen't spell good for a continuation movie.
Old January 27th, 2004, 06:18 PM   #2
Dawg
Great Wise Guru

COMMAND INSIGNIAAdmin
ColonialFleets.com
SPECIAL ACHIEVEMENT AWARDCo-Owner
TombsofKobol.com
Owner/Webmaster
DirkBenedictCentral.com
Colonial Fan ForceCo-Founder
Colonial Fan Force

Perhaps, my upset flightless avian friend, if you were to read more recent articles you would see that most of the "bad blood" was perception rather than fact, there's a lot of water under the bridge now, and they could work together on a future project.

I am a confidant of neither, but I did read reports from Galacticon, where both men appeared. There are others here who know more about it than I. I am confident, however, that if the opportunity arises they would be happy to work together on a BSG revival.

I am
Dawg

My Places:

DirkBenedictCentral.com, Facebook: Dirk Benedict Central Twitter: @DBCdotCOM Dirk's appearances: Appearances

Tombs of Kobol
Dawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 27th, 2004, 06:39 PM   #3
angry penguin

My upset flightless avian friend, I like that. Perhaps I should read more recent articles. Thanks.
Old February 14th, 2004, 02:58 PM   #4
ojai22
Dancing Viper Queen

Veteran
Fleets Warrior

Quote from Moore:

*And that includes original star Richard Hatch, a fan favorite who tried to
launch a "Battlestar"
sequel. "Hatch looks great," Moore says. "It would be great to have Richard
on." *

Actually, this just proves our point that Richard can STILL play Apollo!
Old February 14th, 2004, 03:16 PM   #5
Micheleh
Watashiwa Shin no Noir

Veteran
Fleets Warrior
SPECIAL ACHIEVEMENT AWARDFormer Assistant
Richard Hatch

Yeah, but if Moore offered him anything, it would be a brief token role, for he sole purpose of suckering the OS fans into watching it, since at this point he's afraid the series will tank. (With good reason.)

(He should offer Moore a walk on part in Magellan... lol!)
Micheleh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 16th, 2004, 01:10 PM   #6
martok2112
Colonial Story Teller

FORUM STAFFFleet Moderator
Colonial Fleets

Default Hmmm...

...not sure that Moore's afraid the new BATTLESTAR GALACTICA will tank. Although I do not approve of him considering bringing TOS cast onto the show, even if for a cameo, I doubt that the series will tank.

Many sci-fi series have been in danger of tanking due to ratings and all that yada yada stuff. Within two or three seasons, with the proper direction and writing, said series usually flourish. (As long as said series did not appear as first runs on Sci-fi Channel)

If the new BATTLESTAR GALACTICA tanks, it will only be due to Skiffy's dubious history with other sci-fi shows. (Most notably FARSCAPE).

Respectfully to all,
Martok2112
Old February 20th, 2004, 01:45 PM   #7
Antelope

I never liked Farscape so I won't blame SCIFI for canceling it. I only blame them for making it in the first place.

I notice that there is a lot more bad blood among the fans supporting Larson, Desanto, Hatch, and Moore than there is actual written evidence of bad blood. Every statement I have seen written that actually states what either Moore, Larson, or Desanto have said in reference to each other has been positive. The only negative statements I have read are in reference to Hatch speaking about the mini but not Moore. Moore talks positively about Hatch. Hatch may have some bad blood because he was looking to reprise his role in a Continuation and spent much personal effort to sell the concept that SCIFI ran without him. Moore is reaching out to Hatch. I am curious to see what Hatch does. I wouldn't assume Hatch is unhappy about the mini for exactly the same reasons the minihaters are despite Hatch's words. He never says he would not accept a role in a Moore series. He never puts down Moore by name. He obviously doesn't want a cameo. A cameo would pretty much eliminate his ability to get a real role later. If Dirk Benedict was able to be in "The Lowdown" and make a movie previously for SCIFI I think we may see some TOS cast members come back yet.
Old February 20th, 2004, 03:45 PM   #8
Micheleh
Watashiwa Shin no Noir

Veteran
Fleets Warrior
Richard Hatch

Quote:
Originally Posted by antelope526
The only negative statements I have read are in reference to Hatch speaking about the mini but not Moore... Hatch may have some bad blood because he was looking to reprise his role in a Continuation... I wouldn't assume Hatch is unhappy about the mini for exactly the same reasons the minihaters are despite Hatch's words.
I can tell you exactly where Richard's frustration with the mini comes from.

He has always considered himself to be a science fiction buff first. He spent a great deal fo time and effort reaching out, going to cons and asking people what they would want to see Battlestar become.

(This, in any sensible industry, would be simple demographic study.)

He knows what the majority of the people he has spoken to want. He knows how dedicated the fans have been. This prompted him to write up a proposal for *someone* to do a proper continuation. He took it, they read it, and said "Uh, nice. And?"

He realised then that he had to show, not tell, so he started to make what was to be a short demonstration piece (a proof of concept) to show them, to convince them that *someone* should do this right.

Time went by, incredible numbers of people in and out of the industry jumped on, offering their time, talent, and support. Richard realized that if it was going to get done, he needed to quit waiting for *someone* and be someone.

There is his frustration- knowing what people want, doing everything in his power to make it happen (for himself, to honor a project he loved and thought was shortchanged, and for the fans) only to see the fans- the people who kept he idea of Galactica alive for 25 years- ignored, marginalised, and belittled.

Jump starting his career, or regaining lost glory- none of those things are even close. That's not he man I have had the honor to come to know.
Old February 20th, 2004, 05:04 PM   #9
jewels
Stablemaster, Livery Ship

FORUM STAFFFleet Modertor
Colonial Fleets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Micheleh
There is his frustration- knowing what people want, doing everything in his power to make it happen (for himself, to honor a project he loved and thought was shortchanged, and for the fans) only to see the fans- the people who kept he idea of Galactica alive for 25 years- ignored, marginalised, and belittled.

Jump starting his career, or regaining lost glory- none of those things are even close. That's not he man I have had the honor to come to know.
Ditto that from what little I know of the man. His passion is from understanding and loving the strength of the story.

The one thing Richard, Glen & Tom D. all share is a passion for the original story. Something the Scifi folks lacked.

Go, Richard, make Magellan fly and blow Moore's Galactica to some galaxy far, far away, where TV signals cannot go.

Jewels

"May have been the losing side. Still not convinced it was the wrong one." Malcolm Reynolds [/color]

"We don't dictate to countries, we liberate countries." Mitt Romney [/color]
jewels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 20th, 2004, 05:09 PM   #10
Antelope

I read Hatch's interview at cylon.org and I do see somone reaching for past fame. He has problems with the Desanto version for many of the obvious Apollo and Starbuck role reasons. He also is not hostile to Moore. He "respects" Moore. He even says there are real things that interest him about the mini if you view it as a separate show from the "real" Battlestar Galactica. If he was offered another major role I can see him accepting a part in Moore's world. The old actors do not seem to have the issues with Moore that many fans do.
Old February 20th, 2004, 05:16 PM   #11
Dawg
Great Wise Guru

COMMAND INSIGNIAAdmin
ColonialFleets.com
SPECIAL ACHIEVEMENT AWARDCo-Owner
TombsofKobol.com
Owner/Webmaster
DirkBenedictCentral.com
Colonial Fan ForceCo-Founder
Colonial Fan Force

To put it most simply:

Richard Hatch is a gentleman.

Any questions?

(He also happens to be in the business, so as a matter of habit doesn't burn bridges.)

I am
Dawg

My Places:

DirkBenedictCentral.com, Facebook: Dirk Benedict Central Twitter: @DBCdotCOM Dirk's appearances: Appearances

Tombs of Kobol
Dawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 20th, 2004, 05:24 PM   #12
jewels
Stablemaster, Livery Ship

FORUM STAFFFleet Modertor
Colonial Fleets

Dawg is indeed the wise guru. Listen to him.

"May have been the losing side. Still not convinced it was the wrong one." Malcolm Reynolds [/color]

"We don't dictate to countries, we liberate countries." Mitt Romney [/color]
jewels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 20th, 2004, 05:34 PM   #13
shiningstar
Bad Email Address

Quote:
I can tell you exactly where Richard's frustration with the mini comes from.

He has always considered himself to be a science fiction buff first. He spent a great deal fo time and effort reaching out, going to cons and asking people what they would want to see Battlestar become.

(This, in any sensible industry, would be simple demographic study.)

He knows what the majority of the people he has spoken to want. He knows how dedicated the fans have been. This prompted him to write up a proposal for *someone* to do a proper continuation. He took it, they read it, and said "Uh, nice. And?"

He realised then that he had to show, not tell, so he started to make what was to be a short demonstration piece (a proof of concept) to show them, to convince them that *someone* should do this right.

Time went by, incredible numbers of people in and out of the industry jumped on, offering their time, talent, and support. Richard realized that if it was going to get done, he needed to quit waiting for *someone* and be someone.

You're so right.

RDM can make himself look as much like Hatch as he likes ..........but in the
end ............he is NOT RH and NEVER will be.

Hatch had the respect for the fans because he RESPECTED them and
listened to THEM.

Can RDM say that? .....................................I THINK NOT!
shiningstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 20th, 2004, 05:39 PM   #14
Micheleh
Watashiwa Shin no Noir

Veteran
Fleets Warrior
Richard Hatch

Richard doesn't have any issues with moore as a person. He basicaly says he's a decent guy who is a rotten communicator when in front of a crowd.

"I read Hatch's interview at cylon.org and I do see somone reaching for past fame."

Really? That's not how I read it (or edited it, lol), but to each their own. I can tell you from experience that he doesn't want the fame thing again. He jsut wants to be able to do good work.
Old February 20th, 2004, 05:43 PM   #15
shiningstar
Bad Email Address

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by jewels
Dawg is indeed the wise guru. Listen to him.
Ditto!
Old February 21st, 2004, 01:18 AM   #16
dilbertman
Warrior Ace

Quote:
I read Hatch's interview at cylon.org and I do see somone reaching for past fame. He has problems with the Desanto version for many of the obvious Apollo and Starbuck role reasons. He also is not hostile to Moore. He "respects" Moore. He even says there are real things that interest him about the mini if you view it as a separate show from the "real" Battlestar Galactica. If he was offered another major role I can see him accepting a part in Moore's world.

The old actors do not seem to have the issues with Moore that many fans do.
O' they don't? Just saw this in Dreamwatch #114. This is from a Q & A Dirk Benedict did for the magazine.

Quote:
Q) You were offered a cameo role as the doomed Armistice Station officer who appears at the beginning of the mini-series. Why did you turn it down?

A) That wasn't a role, that was an insult! When my agent called me about it, I said, "You're joking?"
Jim
dilbertman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 21st, 2004, 09:14 AM   #17
shiningstar
Bad Email Address

Quote:
Originally Posted by dilbertman
O' they don't? Just saw this in Dreamwatch #114. This is from a Q & A Dirk Benedict did for the magazine.

Jim
Thanks for posting that QUOTE from the magazine. I really, REALLYYYY
appreciate it!
Old February 21st, 2004, 10:57 AM   #18
Antelope

Cameo:

I think once again we see the word "CAMEO". They want a "ROLE" not a "CAMEO". They are not against the Moore world but if they are to be a part of it they want a real ROLE. If you think they are carrying your torch of ill will toward the mini you are setting yourself up to be hurt if they are offered a real ROLE.

Hatch's and Benedict's point is pretty obvious:

I am too good an actor and too much a part of Battlestar Galactica to be offered anything other than a real ROLE not a CAMEO.

From their own words I expect to see one or all of them in a Moore episode or more in a real role much to the exacerbation of the purist crowd. I would love to see either of them or any of the old cast again. I am fairly certain we will see some of them on camera again on a Battlestar. I read the lady that played Athena hasn't been in front of a camara since 1981. Other than Dirk Benedict I haven't seen any of them in more than a decade. If any of them have any interest in being on TV again I think this may be one of their few opporunities.
Old February 21st, 2004, 11:06 AM   #19
shiningstar
Bad Email Address

Quote:
Cameo:

I think once again we see the word "CAMEO". They want a "ROLE" not a "CAMEO". They are not against the Moore world but if they are to be a part of it they want a real ROLE. If you think they are carrying your torch of ill will toward the mini you are setting yourself up to be hurt if they are offered a real ROLE.

Hatch's and Benedict's point is pretty obvious:

I am too good an actor and too much a part of Battlestar Galactica to be offered anything other than a real ROLE not a CAMEO.

From their own words I expect to see one or all of them in a Moore episode or more in a real role much to the exacerbation of the purist crowd. I would love to see either of them or any of the old cast again. I am fairly certain we will see some of them on camera again on a Battlestar. I read the lady that played Athena hasn't been in front of a camara since 1981. Other than Dirk Benedict I haven't seen any of them in more than a decade. If any of them have any interest in being on TV again I think this may be one of their few opporunities.
That is NOT what HATCH said. However we'll wait and see ............................

However reading Richard Hatch's own WORDS .............I'm certainly NOT
going to HOLD MY BREATH.
Old February 21st, 2004, 11:57 AM   #20
Antelope

The only question in my mind is whether Moore gives Hatch what he wants not whether Hatch would take it if offered. It's up to Moore at this point.
Old February 22nd, 2004, 04:12 AM   #21
angry penguin

I still disagree. I don't think that Mr. Hatch will take a roll on BG03, simmply because that's not what the fans would want, not that I would have a problem with him being on there.

Quote:
Micheleh I can tell you from experience that he doesn't want the fame thing again. He jsut wants to be able to do good work.
Wow. There are not many actors who can say the samething.
Old February 22nd, 2004, 07:56 AM   #22
GalacticanCajun
Warrior

Does anyone know when Hatch's Great War of Magellen will be shown? Has actual filming begun? What is the status of this show?
GalacticanCajun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 22nd, 2004, 10:38 AM   #23
Micheleh
Watashiwa Shin no Noir

Veteran
Fleets Warrior
Richard Hatch

I jsut finished editing the bible, and breaking it into game story, synopsis, and first episodes. Richard just had his first face-to-face meeting with the game developer, and there is work being done on the battle shots. There will be a newsletter out soon as well- I'll psot it when I get it.

Old February 22nd, 2004, 10:46 AM   #24
shiningstar
Bad Email Address

Quote:
I jsut finished editing the bible, and breaking it into game story, synopsis, and first episodes. Richard just had his first face-to-face meeting with the game developer, and there is work being done on the battle shots. There will be a newsletter out soon as well- I'll psot it when I get it.

That's great thanks for the update
Old February 22nd, 2004, 12:46 PM   #25
angry penguin

That is wonderful news. I really hope it happens, I'm so damn tired of Trek.
Old February 22nd, 2004, 01:00 PM   #26
shiningstar
Bad Email Address

Quote:
Originally Posted by angry penguin
That is wonderful news. I really hope it happens, I'm so damn tired of Trek.
:laugh: I agree with you about star trek. I'm hoping that the new
star wars movie won't be too violent for the kids but considering the
fact that our dear Aniken is going over to the dark side ..................
I'm not holding my breath.

Oh and THOMAS I am not saying that ALL programming has to be
a CERTAIN WAY ............I'm just saying that the way the mini was
done was entirely inappropriate for my kids to see. Even Enterprise
is appropriate for my kids .........you don't see wanton sex or too
much violance there either.

My point was ...........with the direction that Bonnie Hammer and
ROn Moore would drive science fiction there WILL NOT BE any
science fiction programs LEFT that will be APPROPRIATE for MY
kids or any OTHER kids to see ...........and let me tell you there
are only SO many days that I can stand to watch

Buzzzzzzzzzzz LIGHTYEAR of STARCOMMAND