Go Back   Colonial Fleets > BATTLESTAR GALACTICA DISCUSSION AREA > The Last Battlestar......Galactica!
Notices
The Last Battlestar......Galactica! For discussions about the ORIGINAL series
What Dreams May Come!

Old December 15th, 2003, 01:35 PM   #1
agent404

Default The space battles were very well done

I thought the mini had some of the best visual and sound effects I have ever seen. The CG models looked so real it felt like you were there, it doesn't look so fake like on star trek. I also like the they kept space kinda quiet since there's no sound in space but I liked the sirens of the raiders. It made it look and sound very realistic.
Old December 15th, 2003, 05:29 PM   #2
xenagabby99
Shuttle Pilot

Thumbs up I agree

I agree! I thought the special effects were off the hook! They did a really good job intermixing the old with the new. I was wondering how that was going to work in terms of ships and things but they did excellent! I for one thought the purist would like all of that the best considering that with this whole mini series they were kind of stating that newer and faster isn't always better since all of the newer ships were taken out so quickly and they had to rely on the older ships to get the job done. I loved that part!
xenagabby99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 15th, 2003, 05:29 PM   #3
dec5
Warrior

Default They reminded me of Macross....

I know there are a lot of Anime fans here...and maybe Moore is one...

The battle scene was definitely Macross...missile contrails.......robotic fighters....and flight suits looked like
they were from Macross Plus.....

Caprica city looked like New Eden.......

And the cylon character looks like the girl in Macross plus.........only blonde....instead of Asian.....

Check out the Macross plus DVDs.....that is one of the reasons why I fell in love with the mini series.....

Moore if you are reading this...thanks for bringing those scenes to life.....it is the closest thing to Macross in live action I have ever seen...or imagined.

Last edited by dec5; December 15th, 2003 at 06:10 PM..
dec5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 15th, 2003, 05:51 PM   #4
GiovanniBlasini
Shuttle Pilot

Dec5,

I totally missed the Macross Plus connection, but you've got an interesting point, there. I'd been thinking more along the lines of how Babylon 5 got a lot of the physics right.
Old December 15th, 2003, 06:06 PM   #5
dec5
Warrior

Default B5

I see some influence of B5 in terms uniforms and maybe the base stars(Shadow fighters).......but the vipers and starfuries really don't look similiar in form and function...much. The new Vipers have a F16 falcon influence.....as the older one looks more like the Korean war Saber fighters. Starfuries are more like TIE fighters in Star Wars.....vaguely though.

The Mini resembled Macross Plus in terms of style.....

New Eden was a Earth colony...with a lot of Modern day Earth styles such as clothing(Coats and ties)to the cities itself.

They also had a pilotless fighter like the new Cylon fighters in the mini.

Anyway...I may be inaccurate in my assumptions....but when I asked the writer of Andromeda, Wolf, about his Anime influence..he did say he was a fan...and was not suprise that Andromeda did have Anime influences. Even then I was suprise that I was right.
dec5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 15th, 2003, 08:18 PM   #6
callsignfalcon
Warrior

Default I aggree

A bunch of things had me thinking of B5! But BSG03 also had its own feel and I loved it!!!!!
callsignfalcon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 15th, 2003, 08:33 PM   #7
Bijou88

While I think the CGI was well done for what they were trying to do with the mini, I found the effects frustrating. I am not a fan of the jiggly camera technique. When things get interesting, they pull away. It really took me out of the movie. I also thought the CGI shots were too dark. I couldn't see any details. I have watched the mini twice and I still couldn't accurately describe what the new vipers or Galactica look like. The only ship they seemed to spend any time on was the president's shuttle. I think the attempt at realism is in the way of getting the best effect from the CGI. Deep space is very dark so in turn, the effects shots are very dark. I think this is similar to the creative problem they had on the first few episodes of seaQuest DSV. Since light does not penetrate the depths of the sea the effects were very dimly "lit." Half the time, you couldn't see what was going on. If the mini becomes a series, (I hope not because I didn't like it) I hope that they lighten things up so I can really get a kick out of the space battles.
Old December 15th, 2003, 08:53 PM   #8
lordpenquin
Shuttle Pilot

I liked how they replaced the laser cannons (very slow rate of fire) with pulse lasers. They were less accurate, but with so many little "bullets" of light, some were bound to hit the target.