Strike Leader

Colonial Fan ForceCo-Founder
Colonial Fan Force
COMMAND INSIGNIACo-Owner
TombsofKobol.com

Default Re: Battlestar Galactica Movie News

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darrell Lawrence View Post
I disagree. I want them to make it, good or bad.

If it's bad, then once and for all maybe they'll let BSG rest in peace, and we won't have to deal with the headache of "Will they or won't they" anymore.

If it's good, then great. Maybe more good will follow.

But it needs to be put to rest one way or the other. No more teasing.
I never thought of it this way before. What you're saying D, makes a lot of sense.

I'll have to think about it.
Old April 11th, 2014, 01:47 PM   #32
Jayworld
Warrior

Quote:

If it's bad, then once and for all maybe they'll let BSG rest in peace, and we won't have to deal with the headache of "Will they or won't they" anymore.

Darrell:
Great statement. I concur totally. Been on this ride (like most of you) since 1978. Watched the show, watched BG1980, bought the novels, toys, comics, bought Richard's new novels, saw and spoke with Richard, Herb, and Dirk at the Plano Comicon right after the Fox DeSanto/Singer TV movie was announced (man, it was electric in the room that day, so many were excited), saw Richard's The Second Coming multiple times…been a part of it all. Ready to see something, good or bad. Heck, the current comics are a good ride at the moment….
Old April 13th, 2014, 07:27 AM   #33
Benedict
Warrior

This news, though welcomed, seems to be the excuse some fans of the latest version have needed to drag up the vitriol those fans have of BSG78. Awfully tiresome.

Be nice to see if it happens but I have the memories of 78 and won't hold my breath lest I am severely disappointed.
Galactica-era fan fic: Battlestar Pacifica #2 Saga of a Battlestar

"We thought the opposite of war, was peace. But we found the opposite of war was slavery."
Benedict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 13th, 2014, 08:41 AM   #34
Titon
Retired or am I?

Special Effects Artist
Battlestar Galactica 2003
COMMAND INSIGNIACoFounder
Colonial Fleets

Quote:

Careful for what you wish for. In some people's eyes this has already ran it's course with the 2003 mini and series. Although I would like to see an ending to this just exactly what direction Larson takes is critical. Again the announcement is a "reimagining". So your saying in essence you are admitting that you f'd up 3 times before and we are going to get it right this time? Sorry I don't buy it. In order to initiate closer Darrell there would have to be cannon history and in my eyes there has not been enough. How do you incorporate the TOS and NuBSG into a storyline that satisfies everyone? The only logical course is to do a prequel centered around the TOS. Then yet again how many "sequels" do you think they could possibly generate to finish the storyline? If this bombs it kills Galactica for good. Having first hand spoken for hours with Tom DeSanto and his vision and story arc it's a slam dunk. Put it on tv where it belongs and let Tom run with the vision he had. It was good and makes the most sense to feasibly create a history and an end.

I have kept this show alive in my own world since it disappeared off of the small screen so unless Larson blow's me away with a significant story I will choose to stay away.
Old April 13th, 2014, 03:20 PM   #35
jewels
Stablemaster, Livery Ship

FORUM STAFFFleet Modertor
Colonial Fleets

I suggested this over at TOK, but I thought it might generate a little fun musing here too:

What IF it was a reimaging because it told a story during the 1000 yahren war and satisfied Glen's longing to do a Pegasus story: Say it ends with the Pegasus as sole survivor of (I just realized I named the wrong battle at TOK) the destruction of the Fifth Fleet at Molokai. That could even be the cliffhanger: did they or didn't they survive?

From Universal's viewpoint that's a "new" story. From Glen's point: It might be that untold Pegasus story he's been tasting since Lloyd Bridges swaggered onto the Pegasus' deck. For a new generation: it's a spaceship story in the middle of a hotly fought war. Do you think something of that order could work?

"May have been the losing side. Still not convinced it was the wrong one." Malcolm Reynolds [/color]

"We don't dictate to countries, we liberate countries." Mitt Romney [/color]
jewels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 13th, 2014, 11:29 PM   #36
Sarika
Strike Leader

Really? Is it?

Sorry...just reading all this now. Late to the party.

The Last Piscon Siress

HSH Princess Sarika Her Highness' MySpace
Sarika is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 14th, 2014, 09:34 AM   #37
137th Gebirg
Warrior

Quote:

This is wisdom. QFT!
Old April 14th, 2014, 02:39 PM   #38
Eric Paddon
Squadron Leader

The ship already sailed for me long ago. I've ceased to care about what might come because it won't be what I wanted to see, which is a resolution of the interrupted storyline from Galactica. We lost the chance to do it, and it's gone. I'm not interested in a retelling of Saga "done right" or a story about the Pegasus or anything that isn't what the whole dream of a continuation was for me in the first place. But I know that's not going to happen, so I won't have cause to whine when the particulars become clear. I've already accepted that outcome ahead of time.
"They hate us with every fiber of their being. We love....freedom, independence, the right to question. To them it is an alien way of living."-The non-myopic wisdom of Commander Adama, "Saga Of A Star World"

"How do you tell a Communist? Well, it's someone who reads Marx and Lenin. And how do you tell an anti-Communist? It's someone who understands Marx and Lenin."-Ronald Reagan
Eric Paddon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 14th, 2014, 03:54 PM   #39
Senmut
Strike Leader

Don't mince words, EP. tell us what you really think.
----------------------------
"You know the night before was a tough one when even the sound of the fizz hurts your head." -Mike Hammer.
Senmut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 14th, 2014, 10:29 PM   #40
jewels

Colonial Fleets

Honestly, I think anyone in this fandom has a right to be a little cynical, or even a lot cynical about this.

I just personally have to have that "wait and see. Potential positives ahead," perspective. There's enough rough, tough and bummer in the universe...I'll take a little glimmer when and where I can find it. Even if it's just that we all had an excuse to de-lurk and chat.

"May have been the losing side. Still not convinced it was the wrong one." Malcolm Reynolds [/color]

Old April 15th, 2014, 02:20 AM   #41
bsg1fan1975
Major

Quote:
Originally Posted by jewels View Post
Honestly, I think anyone in this fandom has a right to be a little cynical, or even a lot cynical about this.
You hit the nail on the head. We have had our hopes built up so many times to have them dashed. I've gotten to the point that when talk about Galactica surfaces, I don't even let it bother me.

Cheese: [has tinfoil on his teeth] I have braces!
Mac: You found that on the ground, didn't you?
Cheese: Garbage can.
-episode "Mac Daddy"Foster's Home for Imaginary Friends"
bsg1fan1975 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 15th, 2014, 10:26 AM   #42
Jayworld
Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsg1fan1975 View Post
You hit the nail on the head. We have had our hopes built up so many times to have them dashed. I've gotten to the point that when talk about Galactica surfaces, I don't even let it bother me.
I can totally understand this view, especially when the fandom has been jerked around by the cancellation of the Fox pilot (DeSanto), then an abrupt 180 to the reimagination and ignoring of original fandom (us). Then to see the on-again, off again promise of a new movie… and with all the teasing (such as the basic premise of the PS2/XBox BG game, etc.). Colonial Fan Force, etc. It's been a long ride.

Having said that, I still remain optimistic and check these boards often (and contribute when I can) and check online for new movie info.

I can't help it, I LOVE Battlestar Galactica (the original, classic series) and always will….
Old April 15th, 2014, 07:47 PM   #43
Apolloisall
Warrior Ace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayworld View Post
I can't help it, I LOVE Battlestar Galactica (the original, classic series) and always will….
Right there with ya!

I'll give anything new a chance, but my heart belongs to TOS Galactica.
THE BEST SPACE OPERA EVER.

Mushies all around!
Old April 15th, 2014, 09:09 PM   #44
Senmut
Strike Leader

Quote:
I can totally understand this view, especially when the fandom has been jerked around by the cancellation of the Fox pilot (DeSanto), then an abrupt 180 to the reimagination and ignoring of original fandom (us). Then to see the on-again, off again promise of a new movie… and with all the teasing (such as the basic premise of the PS2/XBox BG game, etc.). Colonial Fan Force, etc. It's been a long ride.

Having said that, I still remain optimistic and check these boards often (and contribute when I can) and check online for new movie info.

Totally, on one and three. I however do not have any optimism. H'Wood is full of boray astrums who think they are semi-divine visionaries, who see and know all, while we fans are the Great Unwashed, grovelling at the foot of Olympus, for any scrap they happen to TOS our way.
Hhrummphhff!
"You know the night before was a tough one when even the sound of the fizz hurts your head." -Mike Hammer.
Old April 16th, 2014, 07:41 PM   #45
Darrell Lawrence
Formerly Warrior
The Lone Wolf

SPECIAL ACHIEVEMENT AWARDOwner:
Colonial Fleets
3D Gladiators
Former Webmaster:
BattlestarGalactica.com
RichardHatch.com
GreatWarofMagellan.com
Web Tech:
LauretteSpang.com
DirkBenedictCentral.com
TombsofKobol.com

Wink Re: Battlestar Galactica Movie News

Quote:
Originally Posted by Titon View Post
I have always said if they cannot do it right do not do it at all!
Don, by your words right there, the last "image" of BSG would be the 2003 mini and series.

I do not want that.

I want them to make this, good or bad, as I said. If it's good, great. if not, then let the last version be the last version, rather than the 2003 stuff to be the last version.

I have a feeling that, with this particular writer and with Glen more involved, we will see something closer to the original rather than the 2003 version.

Will it be good? Who knows. But it WON'T be the 2003 version.

THAT, my friend, is my point. If it's bad, THEN maybe BSG can be left alone, as you want it left alone.
"Legends never die... They just get new Captains."
"Respect the past. It brought you the present."
Darrell Lawrence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 17th, 2014, 08:56 PM   #46
jewels

Colonial Fleets

I get what you are saying. Either do really well or fail miserably so that is the end of it and it reverts to a fan piece.

I still want option A. Just my druthers.

Old April 17th, 2014, 10:37 PM   #47
Senmut
Strike Leader

Kind of like not having your last meal before hanging. If you don't, then the meal before that one becomes your last meal.
Old April 18th, 2014, 09:53 AM   #48
Darrell Lawrence
Formerly Warrior
The Lone Wolf

Colonial Fleets
3D Gladiators
Former Webmaster:
BattlestarGalactica.com
RichardHatch.com
GreatWarofMagellan.com
Web Tech:
LauretteSpang.com
DirkBenedictCentral.com
TombsofKobol.com

jewels, option "A" is what I want as well

Senmut, nice analogy
Old April 23rd, 2014, 09:07 PM   #49
Gemini1999
Strike Leader

FORUM STAFFFleet Moderator
Colonial Fleets

I'm with Darrell on this...

This particular project has been a long time coming and we've all wondered what a big budget film version would look like. It's about time we found out. I'll go see it in whatever form it takes. If it's good, then I'll be pleasantly surprised. If it's not, it'll just be another in a long line of failed remakes. In the long run, no film or TV series holds my reason for living in the balance...

"If you love long enough, wish hard enough, anything is possible" - From The Boy Who Could Fly
Gemini1999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 24th, 2014, 07:32 AM   #50
PaulGTweed
Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by jewels View Post
I suggested this over at TOK, but I thought it might generate a little fun musing here too:

What IF it was a reimaging because it told a story during the 1000 yahren war and satisfied Glen's longing to do a Pegasus story: Say it ends with the Pegasus as sole survivor of (I just realized I named the wrong battle at TOK) the destruction of the Fifth Fleet at Molokai. That could even be the cliffhanger: did they or didn't they survive?

From Universal's viewpoint that's a "new" story. From Glen's point: It might be that untold Pegasus story he's been tasting since Lloyd Bridges swaggered onto the Pegasus' deck. For a new generation: it's a spaceship story in the middle of a hotly fought war. Do you think something of that order could work?
One slight problem. Good movie plotline but, without the Battlestar Galactica in the film. It wouldn't be a Battlestar Galactica movie.
PaulGTweed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 24th, 2014, 07:55 AM   #51
Jayworld
Warrior

Questions:
Would you support/watch the movie if:

1. It is a reboot with the original characters played by different actors (Adama, Apollo, Starbuck, Athena, Baltar, etc.) in the vein of the new Star Trek films

2. It is a reimagination that blends (not sure how that would work) both the original series and the new series

3. It is a new story featuring elements of the original series, such as Jewels referred to in her post on the Pegasus

4. It is a continuation of the original series, set 30 years later, with cameo-to-minor roles for Richard Hatch (Apollo), Dirk Benedict (Starbuck), Herb Jefferson (Boomer), Terry Carter (Tigh), with the main thrust being the younger actors
Old April 30th, 2014, 08:43 PM   #52
Darrell Lawrence
Formerly Warrior
The Lone Wolf

Colonial Fleets
3D Gladiators
Former Webmaster:
BattlestarGalactica.com
RichardHatch.com
GreatWarofMagellan.com
Web Tech:
LauretteSpang.com
DirkBenedictCentral.com
TombsofKobol.com

Has anyone noticed that anytime there is major Star Wars news, that "Battlestar Galactica movie news" pops up again and again?
Old May 1st, 2014, 03:07 AM   #53
bsg1fan1975
Major

Yes I have and it is always quite amusing to me!

Cheese: [has tinfoil on his teeth] I have braces!
Mac: You found that on the ground, didn't you?
Cheese: Garbage can.
-episode "Mac Daddy"Foster's Home for Imaginary Friends"
bsg1fan1975 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 1st, 2014, 07:41 AM   #54
Jayworld
Warrior

Quote:
Has anyone noticed that anytime there is major Star Wars news, that "Battlestar Galactica movie news" pops up again and again?
Well, you do know that Battlestar is a rip-off of Star Wars, right (at least, that's what Lucas thought)….
Old May 1st, 2014, 12:56 PM   #55
Rhaven Blaack
Warrior

Quote:
Well, you do know that Battlestar is a rip-off of Star Wars, right (at least, that's what Lucas thought)….
Lucas thinks that EVERYTHING is a rip-off of Star Wars (to include Star Trek).
Old May 1st, 2014, 10:30 PM   #56
Senmut
Strike Leader

It's a Cylon plot!
Old May 1st, 2014, 11:16 PM   #57
Punisher454
Warrior Ace

Come on, everyone knows George Lucas invented science fiction, right? Kinda like Al Gore invented the internet, Apple invented the mouse, and Marconi invented the radio.

Quote:
Lucas thinks that EVERYTHING is a rip-off of Star Wars (to include Star Trek)
I read somewhere that star trek was inspired by Forbidden Planet.
Old May 2nd, 2014, 12:48 AM   #58
Senmut
Strike Leader

Lucas invented that, too? Wow!
Old May 2nd, 2014, 07:39 AM   #59
PaulGTweed
Warrior

Quote:
Questions:
Would you support/watch the movie if:

1. It is a reboot with the original characters played by different actors (Adama, Apollo, Starbuck, Athena, Baltar, etc.) in the vein of the new Star Trek films

2. It is a reimagination that blends (not sure how that would work) both the original series and the new series

3. It is a new story featuring elements of the original series, such as Jewels referred to in her post on the Pegasus

4. It is a continuation of the original series, set 30 years later, with cameo-to-minor roles for Richard Hatch (Apollo), Dirk Benedict (Starbuck), Herb Jefferson (Boomer), Terry Carter (Tigh), with the main thrust being the younger actors
1. I would watch. 2. Glen Larson could sell the Galactica:1980 rights to Ron Moore to do an updated TV series that starts after the New York City street scenes with Head Six and Head Gaius Baltar. 3. It would be a Battlestar Pegasus movie unless it takes place after the events of the BSG episode 'The Living Legend'. 4. I would watch.
PaulGTweed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 2nd, 2014, 11:01 AM   #60
Darrell Lawrence
Formerly Warrior
The Lone Wolf

Colonial Fleets
3D Gladiators
Former Webmaster:
BattlestarGalactica.com
RichardHatch.com
GreatWarofMagellan.com
Web Tech:
LauretteSpang.com
DirkBenedictCentral.com
TombsofKobol.com

I wasn't kidding though, folks. Seriously... everytime something major happens in the Star Wars universe, the BG movie thing pops up.

On a side note, go to the Gallery and check this out - http://www.colonialfleets.com/galler...s.php?cat_id=8

Look at the year of that. Then tell me what movie came out around that time.

When DeSanto/Singer were connected to the BG project in 2002/2003, guess what sequel had just came out?

In 2005, when DeSanto was still being pushed to do a movie and team up with Larson (just rumors at the time, much like now... didn't really "take off" until 2009 with Singer back involved and DeSanto out), guess what trilogy had its third part in theaters?