Old July 13th, 2005, 10:39 PM   #1
Sci-Fi
Bad Email Address

Stargate TV Review: 'SG-1' adds a little 'Farscape' and a lot of goofy

From The Pittsburgh Post-Gazette:

TV Review: 'SG-1' adds a little 'Farscape' and a lot of goofy

Thursday, July 14, 2005
By Rob Owen, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

I never saw the "Stargate" movie, never got hooked on the TV spinoff, "Stargate SG-1" -- or its spinoff, "Stargate Atlantis" -- but with "SG-1" undergoing a reset that includes the addition of "Farscape" stars Ben Browder and Claudia Black, I was willing to give it a shot.

Friday's ninth season premiere features a cameo appearance by former series regular Richard Dean Anderson and also introduces Beau Bridges as the new head to Stargate Command.

To my pleasant surprise, "Stargate SG-1" proved to be a more lighthearted, jokier sci-fi/military-themed show than I expected with well-drawn characters. But the plots ... oh, the plots. The first two episodes featured goofy fantasy plots -- Treasure hunting in booby-trapped ruins! Discovering King Arthur's sword, Excalibur! -- the kind that make science fiction seem silly and immature.

Browder, who's introduced as new Stargate team leader Lt. Col. Cameron Mitchell, begins the episode playing a seemingly different character than his John Crichton on "Farscape," but by the end of the hour he's hamming it up, frat-boy style, yet again. Then he's virtually missing from next week's episode (so much for establishing a new character).

Black plays a much different role than she did on "Farscape" ("SG-1" offers two nods to fans familiar with "Farscape"), slinking around as Vala Mal Doran, a mischief-making thief who caught the eye of Dr. Daniel Jackson (Michael Shanks) in an episode last season.

"Stargate" fans may resent the presence of these newcomers, and "Farscape" fans are unlikely to be impressed by the show's weak stories. Save your time; watch the far superior "Battlestar Galactica" at 10 p.m. instead.

Sci-Fi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 15th, 2005, 09:04 PM   #2
jewels
Stablemaster, Livery Ship

FORUM STAFFFleet Modertor
Colonial Fleets

Ben, Claudia and Michael Shanks were classic.

Beau Bridges made me not miss RDA, but I liked Beau in "The Agency".

"May have been the losing side. Still not convinced it was the wrong one." Malcolm Reynolds [/color]

"We don't dictate to countries, we liberate countries." Mitt Romney [/color]
jewels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 16th, 2005, 03:45 PM   #3
Eerazor
Just Lost My Cherry!

All I can say is that it took some getting used too. I like both Farscape and Stargate as much as both BSGs and Star Trek, Wars, etc. (basically your average SciFi fan that does not resent shows).

I will certainly miss Jack O'Neill (thats 2 ll's), he had always brought a sense of "realism" to the show by taking the micky out of almost every "pivitol scifi explanation" in the show which had always made me laugh. He lit up the show by remaining the rather sceptical, slow learning but heartful character.

Ben Browder seems to be your typical "stereotype" actor though which is a shame. His role in Farscape was ok. Annoying sometimes but "ok". Now with SG1 he starts off as a serious character and it seemed to suit him but then he went back to Crichton-mode. Although Farscape is missed I do not want to see that character on SG1. I so wished Mr. Anderson would continue but I can understand his decision to move on (a great loss to the show).

All I can hope for is that Mr Browder develops more in the direction of O'Neill rather than Crichton (The Farscape character) to bring a little "dry humour" to the show.

Apart from that all I can say, for the first time ever, Atlantis was actually more entertaining than SG1 this time round which is a shame since I had preferred SG1 in the past. I guess it is a "wait and see" situation on how both shows will develop now that some major changes have taken place. I just hope that the chemistry between T, Sam, Daniel and Mitchell works, if not then this will most likely be the last season of SG1.
Eerazor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 16th, 2005, 04:54 PM   #4
nextceo
Bad Email Address

I liked SG1, they upped the production values and gave it a real "film" type look to it. Very nice eye candy. Atlantis, I'm not so sure on... Seems like I either love or hate an episode. This one was neither. Daedalus is pretty sweet though....
nextceo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 20th, 2005, 01:35 AM   #5
XWing69
Just Lost My Cherry!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jewels
Ben, Claudia and Michael Shanks were classic.
I thought Claudia and Michael were a riot in the 1st episode !
XWing69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 24th, 2005, 02:46 PM   #6
Krystal
Bad Email Address

Stargate

I just enjoy it a lot, the two episodes of the Avalon arc were just great. The first I enjoy because it introduce the new characters specially give us the background of Cameron. And I totally love the scene of the bullets between him and Teal'c. And Daniel and Vala are just a hit, I love them in Season 8 and I continue loving them in Season 9. The second episode was cool, love Cameron in the sword fight and my favorite Daniel and Vala in the place they were transported. Looking forward to the third part, it looks just amazing with the Ori. And Atlantis was as always funny and interesting. I just love Hermione and seeing an asgard in the Pegasus system. I'm looking forward to see that they show Thor (my favorite Asgard) the Pegasus system.

Krystal
Krystal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 27th, 2005, 04:39 PM   #7
kapollo
Shuttle Pilot

it seems that script writers decided to add a lot more humour to the series, which is of course a good idea, especially when there will be no more o'neils goofy behaviour.
Vala vs. Daniel is an awesome idea.

cheers
kapollo
kapollo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 4th, 2005, 11:11 AM   #8
bsg1fan1975
Major

I miss RDA and General Hammond. The guys replacing them don't cut it for me. When they left, something that I liked about the show went with them.

Cheese: [has tinfoil on his teeth] I have braces!
Mac: You found that on the ground, didn't you?
Cheese: Garbage can.
-episode "Mac Daddy"Foster's Home for Imaginary Friends"
bsg1fan1975 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 6th, 2005, 12:44 AM   #9
Zynn
Shuttle Pilot

Unfortunately, I'm having trouble getting used to Farscape SG1...
It is hard to take seriously... I loved Farscape and Stargate SG1, I have seen every episode of both shows, but in my head, I just can't seperate the two...

I will give it more time, I guess...

just my two cents...
Zynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 12th, 2005, 09:59 AM   #10
bsg1fan1975
Major

I have found it very unwatchable for me since the new season started. It just doesn't have the sense of camraderie that the other seasons had.

Cheese: [has tinfoil on his teeth] I have braces!
Mac: You found that on the ground, didn't you?
Cheese: Garbage can.
-episode "Mac Daddy"Foster's Home for Imaginary Friends"
bsg1fan1975 is offline   Reply With Quote