Go Back   Colonial Fleets > ALTERNATE UNIVERSES > Miscellaneous Entertainment
Notices
Miscellaneous Entertainment Talk about any other shows not covered by other forums.

Old November 20th, 2005, 12:56 AM   #1
martok2112
Colonial Story Teller

FORUM STAFFFleet Moderator
Colonial Fleets

Default Review of Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire (movie)

FILM: HARRY POTTER and THE GOBLET OF FIRE
DISTRIBUTOR: WARNER BROS.
DIRECTOR: MIKE NEWELL
PRINCIPAL CAST: Daniel Radcliffe, Rupert Grint, Emma Watson, Sir Michael Gambon, Maggie Smith, Alan Rickman MPAA RATING: PG-13 For sequences of fantasy violence, and frightening imagery (and not without a little bit of language too)
RUNTIME: 2hrs, 30 mins.

Story: 5/5
Acting: 5/5
Sound: 5/5
Visuals: 5/5
Endorphin Factor: 5/5
Big Screen Experience: 5/5
Scoring system:
Average: 5/5

MOVIES IT COULD BE COMPARED TO: Harry Potter and the Sorceror's Stone, Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets, Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban, LOTR Trilogy

DETAILS: Well....the first two films were great. The third film broke the mold of the first two, and produced a real winner. This fourth movie not only broke the mold, but rumor has it it kicked the living pogees out of the mold-maker too.

That said, this movie completely ROCKED!!!! Even if they did have to cut out half the book to make it fit the traditional runtime of 2 hours and 30 minutes. Even though I loved Goblet of Fire in its entirety as a book, I found that I did not miss certain subplots, including a major one involving Hermione Granger (Emma Watson) trying to liberate the house elves of Hogwart's.

The movie does have the same beginning as the novel, but does not contain the Dursley's (Harry's less-than-kind Uncle Vernon, Aunt Petunia, and the spoiled cousin, Dudley) at the beginning as did the previous three films. Instead, the film starts (after the opening scenario) with Harry and Hermione at the Burrows (where his nearly destitute friends, The Weasley's, live).
Together, they go to the Quidditch World Cup....a visually stunning set up. After an attack by the Death Eaters (minions loyal to displaced, evil Lord Voldemort) on the festivities, the story pretty much goes right to Hogwart's, where Professor Albus Percival Wulfric Brian Dumbledore (beautifully played by Richard Harris' successor, Sir Michael Gambon) announces that Hogwart's will host the Tri Wizard Tournament, and host two guest schools of magic. The Beauxbatons (supposedly a charm school for magical girls.....and NO, not the Japanimation kind ), and the Proud Sons of Durmstrang, whose champion, Viktor Krum, is supposedly the world's best Quidditch Seeker.

The pacing of this movie is NEVER boring. There is always something interesting happening, and the kids (the principals who are now in their early teens) are just tackling their roles with continued vigor. Daniel Radcliffe, (who in some ways reminds me of a teenage Michael Shanks from Stargate SG-1) who plays the titular role, was at his finest in this stunning film. He runs the emotional gamut far more convincingly than he has in the last three films...and he did quite good with those too. ( I always hate it when I hear someone say "Kids can't act!" I would love to point them to this movie as an example of how to prove them wrong most viciously.)

Fred (James Phelps) and George (Oliver Phelps) Weasley were the comic relief in the film, as they were up to their usual antics, and actually got a hell of a lot more screen time than they had in previous films. (They kinda look like rockstars too,...LOL!) These two gave me (and the rest of the packed house) a LOT of laughs.

Emma Watson is blossoming into a real Hollywood darling....and she is stunning in her Yule Ball dress. As an actress, Emma has rapidly become one of my all-time favorites.

Rupert Grint, who plays Harry's best friend, Ronald Weasley, is always fun to watch.

There is so much going on in the Harry Potter universe in these films, that it is hard for all the kids, and teachers to get the screentime they deserve. I really wish they would've been able to film the story in its entirety, but as it is, the movie plays out nicely. One sequence in the film (which I knew was coming because I had read the book) had me damn near crying...it was so beautifully played.

The visual effects were simply amazing, and truly worthy of the big screen experience.

The themes of John Williams were beautifully adapted by Patrick Doyle (who also seemed to write quite a bit of his own original score for the film). And it was also nice to hear some pop-rock styled music in the form of the Weird Sisters (who are actually guys?). The music during the end credits was nice, and it even ended with a ballad from the Yule Ball "Magic Works". (Yes, I am another one of those who likes to stick around through the end credits of films I thoroughly enjoy.)

BOTTOM LINE: The Harry Potter movies (and everything about them) just keep getting better. I am anxious for the next film, The Order of the Phoenix, and I pray that the original kids will still play their respective roles. You cannot go wrong with this film, even if you are NOT a Harry Potter fan.

Respectfully,
Martok2112
Old November 24th, 2005, 12:02 PM   #2
martok2112
Colonial Story Teller

Colonial Fleets

Frag at another site mentioned that he felt the first three HP films were "kiddie" flicks. I would have to respectfully disagree there.

I do have to say that honestly, I don't really feel that even the first film was a "kiddie" film. It was kid friendly, but definitely not kiddie. Even it had some pretty intense moments, and some brief language that you wouldn't find in a movie like-- say-- Spy Kids 3D, which also got a PG rating (for fantasy violence).

Prisoner of Azkaban was most definitely not a kiddie flick ....and actually, it was the first one to REALLY start straying just on the other side of kid friendly. For a PG rated Harry Potter film, it was very intense. Definitely the darkest of the films until GoF came out....and going by the books, the films are only going to get darker.

With a couple of very intense events in Half-Blood Prince, it would mildly surprise me if movie 6 actually got an R rating. There are a couple of graphically violent moments in that book.

I have a friend back in WV who is going for the clergy, but he's become one of those types that think that Harry Potter stories try to teach kids witchcraft and devil worship. He cited that his pastor referred to specific scenes in the books...such as bloodletting, and the like.

Devil worship?! Heh....I seem to hear more references to God in HP than I do any devils. And they do celebrate Christmas (although mostly from the commercial aspect of it rather than a religious holiday...but still...I don't think you'll find any Satanists celebrating on the birthday of the one person they probably hate the most.)

And blood letting?! Well, sure, I've seen the blood letting, but on all accounts the context of the scenes were no different from movies such as Robin Hood Prince of Thieves, Pirates of the Caribbean, or even old cheesy 60's / 70's shows where you see two guys slash their hands, and shake them to supposedly become "blood brothers". So I'm afraid I'd have to debunk that crapola.

Heh....and it teaches witchcraft?! Hmmmm....I've picked up a twig many a time and tried "wingardium leviosa", "lumus soleum", "immobulus", "ridikulus", "reparo", "accio", and a host of other spells. None of them worked, so I guess I am either a muggle, or I just didn't learn a bloody thing from the movies. Ummmm....actually, I did try a spell that I made up called "oculus incapacito"....and it worked on my intended target....but that's only because I poked him in the eye with it. Otherwise....about the only thing I managed to do was look "ridikulus", instead of successfully conjuring "ridikulus".

So, I think children of the world are very safe from any stray teachings of Harry Potter.......I am far more of a dangerous influence than those books are........so, kids, as a disclaimer......do not attempt "occulus incapacito".

Martok2112
Old November 24th, 2005, 07:58 PM   #3
Griffworks
Builder of the RTF

I saw this today and highly recommend it as well! Excellent and a bit on the dark side - but nothing so bad that my 5 year-old son had a problem with. Definitely more violence then in the other HP movies, but then they gave it an appropriate rating, so I don't think anyone could complain about it.

If you've not seen it yet, go!
Old November 27th, 2005, 10:49 PM   #4
tracyb144

Well the fam and I saw it last night.
I thought the movie was great, although the Quidditch world cup was too short! I really liked the set up with the special effects and then it left me wanting to see more, but it was not to be.
Ralph Fiennes. Perfect Voldemort casting IMHO
The Weasley twins were great fun to watch

Can't wait for the DVD with all the deleted scenes

All in all, a great flick
Old November 29th, 2005, 09:54 AM   #5
TopGun
Strike Leader

Best Potter movie to date

I agree with tracy the Quidditch World Cup was far too brief.

Whenever I hear about people saying that HP teachs kids evil ways, I laugh. The central theme of the books is the fight between good and evil, with the central character being on the side of good.

So what if they are using magic, and are called Witches and Wizzards. You can get good Witches you know, look at The Wizzard of Oz.
Old November 29th, 2005, 11:26 AM   #6
martok2112
Colonial Story Teller

Colonial Fleets

Quote:
Originally Posted by TopGun
Best Potter movie to date

I agree with tracy the Quidditch World Cup was far too brief.

Whenever I hear about people saying that HP teachs kids evil ways, I laugh. The central theme of the books is the fight between good and evil, with the central character being on the side of good.

So what if they are using magic, and are called Witches and Wizzards. You can get good Witches you know, look at The Wizzard of Oz.

Someone had made a post (copying from a site they'd viewed) where some Christian POV's state that , while Harry, Ron, and Hermione are fighting evil with their abilities, that there is no such thing as a good witch or wizard. That any power that does not come from God is evil, and should not be used.

Oy.

(I'm still trying to figure out how to make "Occulus Incapacito" work from a distance without having to poke someone in the eye )

Irreverently,
Martok the Misfortunate Muggle
Old November 30th, 2005, 03:54 AM   #7
TopGun
Strike Leader

Everyone is different, I myself am Catholic. My Sister is a RE Teacher, and she loves Harry Potter