Go Back   Colonial Fleets > BATTLESTAR GALACTICA DISCUSSION AREA > Battlestar Galactica
1978/80 Episode Reviews
Notices

Old March 19th, 2009, 04:14 PM   #31
peter noble
Strike Leader

Colonial Fan ForceCo-Founder
Colonial Fan Force
COMMAND INSIGNIACo-Owner
TombsofKobol.com

Default Re: Galactica 1980 DVD's

Mark,

I like the idea of the Galacticans living among us, though I'd work in Area 51 and Hanger 18 instead of Afghanistan.

Something like years before a Cylon baseship appeared in the Arctic and promptly crashed burying itself under the ice.

A US polar survey team found it and it was taken in pieces back to America where some of its Centurions and Raiders were found to be undamaged and after careful study reactivated.

The Galacticans are alerted when they detect strong Cylon signals emanating from US soil and gather to nullify the Cylon threat.
Old March 19th, 2009, 07:05 PM   #32
Gemini1999
Strike Leader

FORUM STAFFFleet Moderator
Colonial Fleets

Quote:
Originally Posted by peter noble View Post
Mark,

I like the idea of the Galacticans living among us, though I'd work in Area 51 and Hanger 18 instead of Afghanistan.

Something like years before a Cylon baseship appeared in the Arctic and promptly crashed burying itself under the ice.

A US polar survey team found it and it was taken in pieces back to America where some of its Centurions and Raiders were found to be undamaged and after careful study reactivated.

The Galacticans are alerted when they detect strong Cylon signals emanating from US soil and gather to nullify the Cylon threat.
Peter -

Thanks for that. Frankly, I don't think that I could stand yet another version of BSG that draws itself from being another 9/11 allegory. I understand the relative impact that 9/11 had on the world, but after 8 years, seeing it still having an impact on modern entertainment.....please.

I wouldn't mind a version of BSG that had it's roots in G80 as long as it moved past the weaker story elements due to the restriction of the demographic that it was targeted for. I wouldn't mind seeing a G80 continuation where humanity got assistance from the Colonials in a more direct and up-front manner, rather than one "under cover". I think the reason the whole "let's help the humans from behind the scenes" doesn't work for me is because there's no practical way for the Colonials to prepare Earth and it's people for a possible Cylon attack in a couple of decades doing it from hiding.

I do think that the Area 51 idea is not too bad - there's at least more story material that can be drawn from it than putting it in activity that's clouded by the war in Afghanistan or Iraq.

Bryan

"If you love long enough, wish hard enough, anything is possible" - From The Boy Who Could Fly
Gemini1999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 20th, 2009, 05:39 AM   #33
Bradleyfett
Shuttle Pilot

Bryan and Peter:

Both ideas are great-

I'm not actually attached to the whole 'Afganistan/911 thing per se;, just an attempt to place it in mondern day. Plus the whole remote desert thing would play well for finding some sort of long lost Cylon outpost (my idea included finding out that this place had actually been in the desert for a lot longer than either Gulf war).

The Galacticans 'under cover' has to be maintianed for a while anyway to keep a storyline believable and relatable. Your idea of making contact/helping Earth OVERTLY is something I was actually including in my story- My idea was for the Galacticans to actually have no choice but to reveal themselves to the US Govenrment because they believed the Cylons were coming and Earth could not defend itself without their help. I imagined storylines of Earth/US Fighter pilots (or even astronauts!) being trained as Viper pilots/Warriors. Perhaps this would still be done as 'Top Secret', at least until a time when things got so nasty that it couldn't be hidden from the public. Of course all this would unfold over the course of several episodes.

All sorts of story ideas there.

M
Bradleyfett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 20th, 2009, 07:23 AM   #34
peter noble
Strike Leader

Colonial Fan ForceCo-Founder
Colonial Fan Force
COMMAND INSIGNIACo-Owner
TombsofKobol.com

The tricky bit in the scenario is an excuse for the Galactica to be absent.

I'm thinking they had to lead the Cylons away from Earth and used the time warp technology to literally lose the Cylons in time.

Of course it would have to return in the pilot but with Adama no longer at the helm. Maybe it would be a character from TOS who would be at the helm, I don't know.

I envisage the Cylons taking over Area 51 and launching Raiders from it as the earth-based warriors attack the base. The Galactica would arrive in the nick of time and launch the D Squadron to take out the Raiders before they could attack their pre-programmed targets.
Old March 20th, 2009, 07:25 AM   #35
Reaper
Warrior ACE!

Mark, I'd actually watch that Show, but even back in 1980, I was completely disappointed with Galactica. so even those memories are tainted lol

Classic fan, and die hard!
Reaper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 20th, 2009, 10:11 AM   #36
Bradleyfett
Shuttle Pilot

Quote:
Originally Posted by peter noble View Post
Of course it would have to return in the pilot but with Adama no longer at the helm. Maybe it would be a character from TOS who would be at the helm, I don't know.
THAT was EXACTLY my idea- this would be the climax of the pilot movie.

Mark
Bradleyfett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 22nd, 2009, 02:36 PM   #37
Athene
Galactica's Princess

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bradleyfett View Post
I've always liked the idea of leaving what happened in G80 canon and continuing the story years later on modern day earth. I still believe there are a lot of story possibilities there. And you could still have the flying motorcycles!

Yea I know you have to get past accepting G80 as canon, but I would do it this way: try to forget the show if you've seen it recently and replace that with just your childhood memory of it- the basic concepts and major plot points weren't any worse than some of what happened on the original show, so just go with that as 'background' and treat the new material more seriously. Try this as an excercise: reword the premise of G80 as the 'forward' of the new fanfic.

Here's my idea:

The voice of a much older Commander Troy:
"We came to your world 30 years ago. Persued by the enemy that had destroyed our worlds, we travelled the stars for over two decades. We hoped Earth would be our salvation- a home for our people and an ally against the alien machines that sought our destruction. Instead, we found a people more vulnerable than ourselves. Our fleet headed out into deep space to lure them away. Some of us stayed behind to build a life here. Some of us stayed to keep watch. Watching for the return of our people... or our enemy. We don't know which will come first... "

The premise:

After years of waiting and watching, the Galacticans who settled on Earth, including the handful of Warriors, have come to belief that neither the Galactica and her fleet nor the Cylons will never return. One by one, each warrior Warrior has chosen to make their own life on Earth- persuing careers, raising families, etc. They keep their true identies secret, sometimes from their own families, but remain vigilant. Commander Troy eventually tired of leading the warriors in what seemed to be futile excercises and has retreated to live in a remote mountain cabin. Though he has also given up on ever seeing the Galactica again, he still believes the Cylons may return, but feels powerless to prepare for it.

Commander Dillon's life mission became the persuit of the renegade Xavier as he attempted to travel through time and build an empire for himself. Xavier's only deterrant was the realization that he would be stopped at every turn. Thus, Dillon very quickly became a student of Earth history. He has spent the last three decades researching this planet's past, including the Galacticas' mysterious connections to Earth's ancient peoples.

But now, a new threat may be emerging. Deep in the mountains of Afganistan, Allied troops have uncovered what they believe to be a terrorist-funded research facility containing experimental weaponry and flying craft. But one among them knows differently: Though its been a long time, a certain US Marine Commander knows Cylon technology when he sees it. Are the Cylons back? Have they been here all along? The Warriors may have to be re-assembled... but how do we find Commander Troy?...

GALACTICA 2010
That sounds really interesting.
It would also be up to date what's going on in our world today.
And the flying motorcycles wouldn't seem so farfetched.

Battlestar Earth admin
Galactica's Princess admin
Battlestar Galactica Club Board Theme/Avatar Keeper
Athene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 23rd, 2009, 09:37 AM   #38
Kester Pelagius
Bad Email Address

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gemini1999 View Post
Can I join?

I mean, I actually own a copy of the DVD's and I watched all of the episodes. I like the Turbines and I know all of the characters...etc.

Surely that deserves some level of inclusion...

Bryan
But do you have DVDRs of the episodes, as aired on Sci-Fi, AND the DVDs?

You can't be a true fan unless you have DVDRs of episodes. Bonus points if you have the re-edited movie versions as released to VHS.

Kester Pelagius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 24th, 2009, 08:06 AM   #39
Athene
Galactica's Princess

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kester Pelagius View Post
But do you have DVDRs of the episodes, as aired on Sci-Fi, AND the DVDs?

You can't be a true fan unless you have DVDRs of episodes. Bonus points if you have the re-edited movie versions as released to VHS.

I've got the DVD boxed set. I've also got the re-edited movie versions on VHS. I've also got taped episodes on VHS and they're still working great. I say that makes me a true fan.

Battlestar Earth admin
Old March 24th, 2009, 10:22 AM   #40
martok2112
Colonial Story Teller

Colonial Fleets

There's that phrase "true fan" again. How I hate that phrase, with every fiber of my being.
Old March 24th, 2009, 03:06 PM   #41
Kronus
CDR Kronus' Grandson

Quote:
Originally Posted by martok2112 View Post
There's that phrase "true fan" again. How I hate that phrase, with every fiber of my being.
Please don't hold back, let us know how you really feel...

The only way I would own it is if Amazon had a $5 sale on the series and include free shipping...

Like I said before I liked the show as entertainment goes but I haven't fully convienced myself to actually own it...yet.
Galactica the Movie is coming soon!
Kronus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 24th, 2009, 04:15 PM   #42
Athene
Galactica's Princess

Quote:
Originally Posted by martok2112 View Post
I see what you mean...
I'd say I'm a "fan".
'Nuff said.

Battlestar Earth admin
Old March 24th, 2009, 06:17 PM   #43
martok2112
Colonial Story Teller

Colonial Fleets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kronus View Post
Please don't hold back, let us know how you really feel...

The only way I would own it is if Amazon had a $5 sale on the series and include free shipping...

Like I said before I liked the show as entertainment goes but I haven't fully convienced myself to actually own it...yet.
LOL!

It's not really all that bad a series....it just had a lot of (fingers in the pie) problems that held it back from its potential, like the original series that sired it.

I picked it up as soon as it came out, and although some stuff was rather cringe-worthy, I don't regret getting it.

Besides, in some ways, I am a completist.
Old March 24th, 2009, 07:16 PM   #44
Reaper
Warrior ACE!

I did get the series on DVD as well, but I do view it less as a continuation, and more of a what happens when the network steps in too much (another case in point would be season 5 of Babylon 5 and the follow up series Crusade)

Like i've said, some good points, bad direction in the overall execution lol

Classic fan, and die hard!
Reaper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 24th, 2009, 07:43 PM   #45
Gemini1999
Strike Leader

Colonial Fleets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Athene View Post
I've got the DVD boxed set. I've also got the re-edited movie versions on VHS. I've also got taped episodes on VHS and they're still working great. I say that makes me a true fan.
Athene -

I've also got one of the re-edited VHS movies - I think I preferred the unedited episodes. Watching G80 episodes hacked together to make a single film was more effort than it was worth. I'll stick with the DVDs.

As for having taped episodes from the early days of Skiffy, by the time I lived somewhere that had Skiffy in their programming schedule, the only version of BSG they were showing was the original. I've only got a two-head recorder anyways, so the tape quality wouldn't have been worthwhile.

I did pre-order my G80 DVD set at the local Best Buy and picked up a day before the store release because they had it "in stock". That's about as far as I'm willing to go to get something.

As for the "true fan" stuff, as such, it's subjective at best and everyone has their own criteria...

Bryan

"If you love long enough, wish hard enough, anything is possible" - From The Boy Who Could Fly
Gemini1999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 24th, 2009, 08:48 PM   #46
Kester Pelagius
Bad Email Address

Quote:
Originally Posted by Athene View Post
I transfered my episodes to DVDr, got the DVD set when it came out, but never had the movies on VHS. So you win, you old war daggit!

Old March 24th, 2009, 08:54 PM   #47
Kester Pelagius
Bad Email Address

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kronus View Post

Which would you rather spend your money on G80 or something like Stargate Atlantis?
Old March 24th, 2009, 10:08 PM   #48
martok2112
Colonial Story Teller

Colonial Fleets

I think I did get the re-edited VHS of the premiere episodes.
Old March 25th, 2009, 06:57 AM   #49
Kronus
CDR Kronus' Grandson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kester Pelagius View Post
Which would you rather spend your money on G80 or something like Stargate Atlantis?
Good point! LOL!

Wait a minute, although I do like all of the Stargate series...I guess I would have to go with Stargate Atlantis since I do own the first 2 seasons and will get the rest when the money is available...and at least it has stayed within the whole concept of what it was spun off of...maybe a bit too well since a lot of their episodes are pretty much a repeat from SG1 but with different bad guys...
Galactica the Movie is coming soon!
Kronus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 25th, 2009, 08:17 AM   #50
Athene
Galactica's Princess

Quote:
Originally Posted by kester pelagius View Post
I transfered my episodes to DVDR, got the DVD set when it came out, but never had the movies on VHS. So you win, you old war daggit!

Thank You

Battlestar Earth admin
Old March 25th, 2009, 08:22 AM   #51
Athene
Galactica's Princess

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gemini1999 View Post
Athene -

I've also got one of the re-edited VHS movies - I think I preferred the unedited episodes. Watching G80 episodes hacked together to make a single film was more effort than it was worth. I'll stick with the DVDs.

As for having taped episodes from the early days of Skiffy, by the time I lived somewhere that had Skiffy in their programming schedule, the only version of BSG they were showing was the original. I've only got a two-head recorder anyways, so the tape quality wouldn't have been worthwhile.

I did pre-order my G80 DVD set at the local Best Buy and picked up a day before the store release because they had it "in stock". That's about as far as I'm willing to go to get something.

As for the "true fan" stuff, as such, it's subjective at best and everyone has their own criteria...

Bryan
I too prefer the unedited episodes. I got the VHS movies out of curiosity and to add to my TOS BSG collection.
We've got the Space Channel here in Canada.
As for the "true fan" comment it was said with tongue-in-cheek humour.
I can honestly say I'm a fan of TOS BSG and G80.

Battlestar Earth admin