Go Back   Colonial Fleets > ALTERNATE UNIVERSES > Miscellaneous Entertainment
Notices
Miscellaneous Entertainment Talk about any other shows not covered by other forums.

Old August 22nd, 2004, 04:50 PM   #1
twixter
Bad Email Address

Default "Graphic novel" Alien Fire MOVIE IDEA what's yours?

Most sci-fi stories about aliens have to do with their effect on us somehow. But what about our effect on them...?

I have always enjoyed sci-fi books more than movies. When Heavy Metal magazine came out, I got hooked in a big way. Then I discovered Fantagraphics and other direct mail publishers. A lot of that stuff is geared for teenage males, but amidst all the voices there is some serious creativity going on.

There was one series of comix I particularly enjoyed: Alien Fire. Sadly, only three issues were ever published. It began with a very ambitious plot, with threads going all over the place. One scene in particular stands out as what might be the beginning of a fantastic movie. An alien race lands on Earth and takes a vending machine back filled with copies of a cheap plastic toy. This innocent toy has a profound effect on these beings. It isn't a chemical or biological infestation. It's a conceptual virus. When they think these thoughts this toy engenders in them, they go crazy. The nature of their culture results in widespread panic and chaos.

Well, I don't know how good the movie would be, because I'm not sure anyone could communicate to the viewer just what was going on. I'm not even sure the authors had worked out an entire epic, or they were winging it issue by issue. I believe they tried a modified story with the same title, but I haven't read that.

But maybe something similar could be made into a movie. Maybe a physical artifact would not be needed. There are dozens, maybe hundreds, of nearby stars that have already received "I Love Lucy" episodes. What if television from Earth has a profound effect on some other people? Earth's rotation would provide them with only brief glimpses they would have to slowly piece together. Some pieces might remain incomplete.
What would they make of us? Has this idea already been explored in a book? Someone must have done this already.

Anyway, that's my movie idea. Do you have a favorite book or comic story or a particular concept derived from such a story, which you would like to see on the movie screen?

twixter is offline   Reply With Quote