Go Back   Colonial Fleets > ALTERNATE UNIVERSES > Miscellaneous Entertainment
Notices
Miscellaneous Entertainment Talk about any other shows not covered by other forums.

Old June 18th, 2004, 02:12 PM   #1
skippercollecto
Squadron Leader

Default when you disagreed with everyone else

What science fiction or fantasy TV series, or a disaster, horror, sci fi or fantasy movie that the critics panned and the public ignored do you secretly love/watch over and over/collect?
Likewise, what science fiction or fantasy TV series, or a disaster, horror, sci fi or fantasy film that the critics loved and the public watched constantly did you hate or completely miss the point of?
For me, it was the movie Titanic and the original Star Trek series. I thought Titanic was waaaaaaay tooooo long, the plot preposterous and the acting mediocre. It's not a good sign when I'm sitting in the theater mentally editing the film as I'm watching it.
I always thought the acting was somewhat forced in Star Trek.
On the other hand, I loved Voyager and still watch it in reruns. It's very much a chick-flick show and the fact that the crew spent so many years looking for Earth was very reminiscent of Galactica.
Now before you throw tomatoes, send hate email, plan for lightning to strike either me or anyone else or tell us why we're complete idiots, I want to remind you that that's not the point of these questions. I just want to know when and how you disagreed with the critics.
Mary
skippercollecto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 18th, 2004, 03:19 PM   #2
ernie90125
Also Present

SPECIAL ACHIEVEMENT AWARDOwner:
BattlestarFanFilms.com

My FAVOURITE film is called 'The Wraith' It was an utter flop at the cinema.

I think it is a fantastic film. Most people who have sat down to watch it, have become bored of all the many car chases. The problem with this film is that you had to get to the end to understand why every part of it is nessesary.

I think it is an amazing film, to give a brief plotline :

A man is murdered by a car racing gang, who wanted his car and his girlfriend. Then they moved onto other cars, and other girls...

But he came back....

In a car that could not be stopped....

One at a time he raced them, through the twisting turns of the mountain roads. Then he would accelerate away, turn round and hit them head on...

Both cars were destroyed, but he would return, with his car to find another chance to race another gang member to their death...

A 'person' also came back, making contact with the girlfriend and his brother. After a while people started to realise that he had come back, and could not be stopped....

I though it was a fantastic film, but to many people, especially those who didn't watch the end, they 'didn't get' the significane of each race and what happened in between....
ernie90125 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 18th, 2004, 03:21 PM   #3
PlaidSquadron
Bad Email Address

IMHO, Buckeroo Banzai is one of the top films ever made. And the critics universally hated it
PlaidSquadron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 18th, 2004, 04:20 PM   #4
BST
Snowball, My Angel Baby

COMMAND INSIGNIAAdmin
Colonial Fleets

Although I can't specifically name them, at this time, I used to find myself DRAWN to movies that the "critics" panned. I felt that their opinion was no more worthy than mine. If I agreed with them, fine; if not, it was my gain and their loss.

Sorry, Mary, I know this didn't answer your question.
You have come to journey's end
Sleep now
And dream of the ones who came before
They are calling
From across the distant shore .

Children are a message that we send
to a time that we will never see.
BST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 18th, 2004, 04:59 PM   #5
thomas7g
out there somewhere

COMMAND INSIGNIAFormer Admin (ret)
Colonial Fleets
BattlestarGalactica-Fleets.com
Owner
Ship Of Lights Forum

I liked Tales of the Gold MOnkey, Man from Atlantis, Gemini Man, Salvage 1, Greatest American Hero, Firefly, Quark, And lots of really panned shows.

As long as it has a sense of fun I can watch anything.

"There is a meaning for wings that can not fly!
Its a precious memory of when you once flew in the sky."
thomas7g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 18th, 2004, 10:27 PM   #6
amberstar
Strike Leader

Quote:
Originally Posted by ernie90125
My FAVOURITE film is called 'The Wraith' It was an utter flop at the cinema...

I remember that one, and yes you have to watch it until the end to understand it!

It has good old Charlie in it
Old June 18th, 2004, 10:30 PM   #7
amberstar
Strike Leader

I liked the night of the Comet..........but I don't think it was a big hit at the box office
Old June 19th, 2004, 03:47 AM   #8
gmd3d
Major

Thumbs up

Quote:
thomas7g
I liked Tales of the Gold MOnkey, Man from Atlantis, Gemini Man, Salvage 1, Greatest American Hero, Firefly, Quark, And lots of really panned shows.
As long as it has a sense of fun I can watch anything
your a man after my own heart I enjoyed all apart from Firefly, Quark never got here.

"The world is my country, science my religion.”
gmd3d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 19th, 2004, 08:31 AM   #9
Gemini1999
Strike Leader

FORUM STAFFFleet Moderator
Colonial Fleets

I don't know if I could pick just one film or TV series.... When I was younger, I watched pretty much everything that came under the "Sci Fi Umbrella". I heard that critics didn't like this, or didn't like that, but I found something enjoyable in whatever it was anyway. At some point, I started reading movie reviews before seeing them and if the critic called it trash, then I avoided it. Years later, I would feel brave and watch it on VHS and find myself saying "why didn't I go see that?"

From that point on, I became my own critic - at least the only one I would take viewing advice from... I still read critic's reviews, but only for information's sake, but I still go and see it if I want to. If nobody else likes it, so what? I'm not seeing it for someone else's enjoyment, just my own.

By the way.....sometimes this tactic means you have to go to the movies on your own because nobody else wants to see that turkey of a film you want to see....

I guess one of my "guiltly pleasures" when it comes to films would be Roger Corman's Battle Beyond the Stars (AKA - John Boy in Space). Yes, I know, it's loaded with more cheese than a large pizza, but I still love watching it on DVD now and then. It's a fun movie, there are a lot of old-time stars in it, some neat spaceships, an interesting score and lots of space battles and SFX. A popcorn movie if ever I saw one! It was made before Sci Fi (and the people who watch it) took themselves too seriously...

Best to all,
Bryan
________
Latin Girl Live
Gemini1999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 19th, 2004, 04:43 PM   #10
Krystal
Bad Email Address

Wink

Well, is very rare when the opinion of a critic is the same as mine. So I suppose that is why no matter what I read about something is it atracts me I see it and make my own opinion. Same goes with the ratings, I always love the ones that don't get much ratings. :laugh: That goes for everything in my life books, programs, decisions.

Krystal
Krystal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 20th, 2004, 12:11 PM   #11
skippercollecto
Squadron Leader

Default a movie i really loved

My sisters and cousins and I (we were all in junior high or high school) saw the 1978 musical fantasy "Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band" the weekend it opened in 1978. We were all blown away by it. I later watched it every time it was on TV. I've never understood the utter hatred by the critics for this film.
skippercollecto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 20th, 2004, 01:43 PM   #12
Ian_W359
Warrior

Heart

Okay, time to confess - I've seen a few films in my time, some good, some bad.....

I agree with Gemini on 'Battle Beyond The Stars' - Despite its cheeziness, its got a quality that puts it well above similar films of the period (remember Star Crash, Shape Of Things To Come....... any more to add to the list????), plus the people who cut their cinematic 'teeth' on BBOS moved on to much bigger things..... (James Cameron, Gale Anne Hurd, James Horner....)

One film I'll admit to like, despite being universally panned, is 'Battlefield Earth' - if only for one reason..... the performance of John Travolta as Terl - great, but probably for the wrong reasons (one reviewer described him as a 'moustache-twirling villain'... nuff said).....

As for films that were considered great but I hated - one example springs to mind - 'The Blair Witch Project'. I'm not sure why this film was feted so much in the build-up to its release, but watching it - I didn't feel much in the way of emotion (perhaps due to the difference in the way it was filmed) and I felt that it did not make much sense. On the way out of the cinema, I overheard a woman saying to a friend, 'That film was rubbish, I want my money back' - was she serious?

All the best,
Ian W359
Ian_W359 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 20th, 2004, 04:55 PM   #13
thomas7g
out there somewhere

Colonial Fleets
Owner
Ship Of Lights Forum

Quote:
Originally Posted by potemkin
your a man after my own heart I enjoyed all apart from Firefly, Quark never got here.
Awww... YOu didn't like Firefly? That's too bad. But alot of people were really turned off by the western theme. And that was made worse when they didn't show the cool pilot and instead stuck us with that lame train robery episode.

Quark...was baaaad...But I was a young boy and it had spaceships. Basically a cheap comedy about garbage men in space. With Richard Benjamin as the captain. Enough said.

Old June 21st, 2004, 12:14 AM   #14
gmd3d
Major

Thumbs up

thomas7g
Quote:
Awww... YOu didn't like Firefly? That's too bad. But alot of people were really turned off by the western theme. And that was made worse when they didn't show the cool pilot and instead stuck us with that lame train robery episode.
I did not meen to say I did not like Firefly or Quark, they just never arrived here in Ireland (as far as I know) so untill you mentioned them I have never hear of them. there is a lot of show that we never see
Rowan has mentioned a few in another thread also that I have never heard of
either .

One show that come's to mind at the moment is "JASON OF STAR COMMAND"
I can't remember the lead actor name but James Doohan that played Scotty
in star trek was in it as the commander.

"The world is my country, science my religion.”
gmd3d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 21st, 2004, 03:38 AM   #15
thomas7g
out there somewhere

Colonial Fleets
Owner
Ship Of Lights Forum

aww ... tiy didn't get Firefly yet? Man that sucks! I really feel bad about how Europe and the rest of the world get short-changed on tv shows made here.

I did see Jason of StarCommand. I used to like the show alot. Did you see the show it was based after? It was a major rework of a show called Space Academy. it featured Jonathan Harris as the headmaster. Most people know him as Dr Smith from lost in space but we know him as the voice of Lucifer!

Old June 21st, 2004, 09:19 AM   #16
Charybdis
Battlestar Callisto

Oh, I don't know. I guess I liked this little show that the critics mostly panned called "Battlestar Galactica!"

http://bscallisto.proboards.com/index.cgi
Charybdis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 21st, 2004, 11:20 AM   #17
unowhoandwhy
Strike Leader

Generally, if the critics hate it then I love it, and if they love it then I hate it. But I've always been a bit contrary so I don't know if I just don't agree with the critics or if I like or hate it just because the critics don't or do... ;D

One movie that I thought was overrated (and please don't hate me for this) was Forrest Gump. I got so sick of hearing about it that I waited years to watch it so that I could have an open mind. When I finally watched it I was, alas, quite disappointed. It was good, but I didn't feel that it lived up to what everyone said about it.

As for a show that critics hated and I loved: The most recent would be Firefly, which had such incredible potential. I was devestated when it was cancelled. I think the critics couldn't see past the initial "space western" concept and never gave it a chance (when I saw the real pilot I was blown away even more, thank goodness for DVDs!). I'm not suprised that the network didn't give it a chance, though, networks are notorious for supporting reality TV dren (ie: cheap and full of not-so-subliminal advertising for their sponsors) and for cancelling great shows without giving them a chance to grow (let's face it, most of them are SciFi/fantasy and very good, ie: expensive).

Each smallest act of kindness reverbrates across great distances and spans of time, affecting lives unknown to the one whose generous spirit was the source of this good echo, because kindness is passed on and grows each time it's passed, until a simple courtesy becomes an act of selfless courage years later and far away. Likewise, each small meanness, each expression of hatred, each act of evil.

This Momentous Day, H. R. White

unowhoandwhy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 19th, 2004, 01:34 PM   #18
Krystal
Bad Email Address

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by skippercollecto
My sisters and cousins and I (we were all in junior high or high school) saw the 1978 musical fantasy "Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band" the weekend it opened in 1978. We were all blown away by it. I later watched it every time it was on TV. I've never understood the utter hatred by the critics for this film.
Well, I love it. See I tell you, critics don't like the same thing I do.

Krystal
Krystal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 19th, 2004, 08:27 PM   #19
braxiss
Major

gotta go with the adventures of pluto nash, i love that movie and there are some really funny parts
Old July 20th, 2004, 11:25 AM   #20
Archangel
Bad Email Address

I gotta go with a universally-panned film:

HOWARD THE DUCK
Archangel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 20th, 2004, 12:57 PM   #21
Rowan
On Vacation...

I loved the tv series: The Young Riders, Wizards and Warriors, The Cape, 7 Brides for 7 Brothers (staring our own Richard Dean Anderson), and Pensacola Wings of Gold.

For Movies I loved: Coyote Ugly, own it and watch it a lot! LOL!
Rowan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 20th, 2004, 03:35 PM   #22
braxiss
Major

howard the duck, i loved that one.
Old July 25th, 2004, 07:29 PM   #23
braxiss
Major

i just remembered one i used to watch alot,

"KISS meets the phantom"

bad movie, but as a member of the kiss army i watched it several times and it really is

worth a good laugh