Go Back   Colonial Fleets > BATTLESTAR GALACTICA DISCUSSION AREA > The Last Battlestar......Galactica!
Notices
The Last Battlestar......Galactica! For discussions about the ORIGINAL series
What Dreams May Come!

Old July 1st, 2003, 10:09 AM   #1
ravesholpulsar
Shuttle Pilot

Default Satire-ronald D. Moore Q & A

Mr. Moore, I appreciate your recent discussions with fans; however, many fans of the original Battlestar Galactica have earnestly campaigned for a continuation of the original series some 20 to 30 years (yahrens) after the original series with some of the major characters once again portrayed by the original actors and actresses. There have been a number of suggestions on BG sites to tie the new series to the original by showing the Cylon attacks from different perspectives, revealing that everything was not as it had seemed to those aboard the Galactica. By “recreating” the series in this way, your new miniseries could take a somewhat different look, and would allow you to bring in new main characters who had survived the original onslaught. Many fans of the original series that are not in favor of your proposed “reimagining” would support this based on comments posted on various on-line boards.

Could you repeat that question?

Q1. What are your rights to use of original designs, props, names, and other storylines from the original series? Please elaborate.

We have complete freedom to use anything we want. I also have just bought the rights to Citizen Kane so you can be assured there will be elements of that sci-fi film in Galactica too.

Q3. Following the scenario described above, would it be possible to reuse footage of the late Lorne Greene and the late John Colicos from the original series to “set the stage” for scenes with the new characters being introduced in the new miniseries?

Theoretically, yes, but that’s not the plan. I’m scared both men my come back from the grave and kick my ass. You should have seen Telly Savalas. Boy, was he pissed at me after I pitched Kojak: The Musical..

Q4. The original Viper was one of the sleekest looking space “fighters” ever seen on the screen, and I hope it or a very similar version will be used in the new miniseries. Unfortunately, the Viper’s ability to turn and maneuver with its three-engine design was questionable to anyone with even a rudimentary knowledge of physics and dynamics. In-line engines like this would have to constantly change thrust, which is possible, but for the superb handling required, the presence of maneuvering thrusters would be expected. If these were used in space only, they could be concealed inside the fuselage of the ship so they would not have to be shown on a frequent basis. Is the original Viper design to be used in the new miniseries?

That’s what my three year old nephew said. So he’s been hired as a technical consultant.

Q7. Have you considered using a method similar to warp, hyperspace, or the Alderson Jump system for travel between the stars?

I have addressed this in the script. Waterslides. Think WATERSLIDES.

Mister Moore, I figure you won't share who you want as the lead actors since you guys would only announce the official cast and actors when its time. Can you comment about Michael Ironside and his role in this production? Will he be appearing?

We have no deal with Michael Ironside or anyone else at this point. Casting won’t even begin until we’re in formal preproduction. Although Pauly Shore was approached for the role of Adama. Mr. Shore was unable to accept the role due to his current filming of MASADA 2: MASADA ROCKS!

Are the Cylons going to be reptillian, robotic, organic or a mix? How will they differ from the original series?

Can’t answer this one, sorry. Ok, I’ll tell you a little secret. There will be NO CYLONS. Instead, a new alien specieis called the HOOPLIES will be the enemy. I’m pretty excited about this. The Cylon design and characters were well… boring. The HOOPLIES are a race of genetic engineered stink beetles. And get this: they stink. Isn’t that cool? My 3 year old nephew thought of that one too.

Are the Colonial refugees seeking Earth? Is Earth the Thirteenth Tribe?

Yes and yes. We’ve also added a 14th tribe. They’re called the 14th tribe.

Are you using the word “Colonial” to describe the humans in the show? Are you using their vocabulary which we heard in the original show? Do they use cubits for money? Will they play Pyramid (the card game) and Triad? What else will we see?

Do you know the word “Jerk?”

How many yahren have the Cylons been at war with the Colonials? WHY were they at war with the Colonials?

Both these questions will be answered in the pilot but it pretty much started when one person made fun of the other’s mother.

What was your favorite episode of Roswell? Of your Star Trek work? Of the original Battlestar Galactica show and why? And what do you think would be fans' favorite episode of your Battlestar Galactica show if you get a series? Put another way what story would you like to tell most in an ongoing series?

I have a few favorites of both Roswell and Trek. For my episodes of Roswell, I'd say "Cry Your Name" and "I Married an Alien!" At the Trek, the ones off the top of my head are "Tapestry" "Trials & Tribble-ations" "In the Pale Moonlight" "Family" "It's only a Paper Moon". I also enjoyed my work on ROMEO AND JULIET, CITIZEN KANE and LAWRENCE OF ARABIA.

Is the Cylon Imperious Leader going to be seen? Will there be a Lucifer character? Will we understand Cylon culture better than the original series?

Nope. Not a chance in hell.

I bumped into you at Paramount years ago. You've changed. When did you get a fire lit under you to be the next Gene Roddenberry? Are you trying to outdo Piller, Braga and Berman somehow? Why do so many people think you and Bonnie Hammer have problems over this production? We know you have opinions and you don't back off of script suggestions easily at least for the guy I knew. How much input does Hammer, Jackson and others have on the script? What are you fighting to keep in the scripts? Actually, I don't believe you'll answer this but it's interesting to see where you wound up.

Was that you mom?

Mr. Moore, you are known for good character writing. How could the original characters have been improved? How do you intend to portray Apollo, Starbuck, Athena, Adama, Tigh, Boomer and Baltar in your show?

The jokes on you! I suck in the character writing department.

Is there a Serina in this show? Is there a Boxey? Is there a Muffit? How are their fates different than the original show?

There is a Boxey. But I’ve changed his name to MICHELLE WORTHINGTON, a feisty MTV deejay but she does have a few of Boxey’s elements, like her name has vowels too.

Mr. Moore, as your production is airing on a channel that caters to a specific audience, have you also geared it to catch the non-sci-fi audience (like the rest of my family who will watch SF, as long as it'seasy to follow) that the original series tried to ensnare?

Capturing the general audience is a priority to us and I very much want people who don't normally watch science fiction to give this one a chance. Why would you want to watch something boring like THE SOPRANOS? Or WILL AND GRACE? Or even such a dull show like THE SIMPSONS?

IS ANY OF THE ORIGINAL CAST COMING BACK AND I AM JUST APP IT IS FINALLY BEING DONE I HAVE BEEN WAITING ALONG TIME FOR THIS AND I AM GLAD SOMEONE HAS THE BELIEF TO DO IT THANK A LOT AND CAN WE EXPECT THE CYLONS TO BE A LITTLE BETTER OR THE SAME I LIKE THEM THE WAY THEY WERE SO BUT THANK YOU AGAIN.

We have made some preliminary inquiries to members of the original cast regarding their participation, but it's still too early to tell. I’d like to get CHUCK PUDDING. He played Panicky Idiot #1 in the episode “Fire In space.”

Will we see the Egyptian style helmets again on the Viper pilots?? Will there be the same type of Colonial Warrior uniforms?? What about weaponry?? And how are the Cylons armed??

These design elements are under discussion and no decision has been made. But Clown hats or French Berets may be seen. You’ll just have to wait.

Question for Ronald Moore....will there be twelve colonies, as in twelve planets? Will each one be destroyed and inhabited by the Cylons?

There will definitely be twelve colonies and they will all be destroyed by the Cylons and tv executives.

So who's your favorite character in YOUR new show and why?
I'd have to say Adama, Baltar, and our new Cylon character WOOPY.

Mr Moore, thank you very much for this opportunity. Being an Australian fan of Battlestar Galactica and science fiction in general, we are a little naive to the workings of the Sci-Fi Channel, but from what we can tell they seem to be going a little crazy over there. Farscape, an intensely popular sci-fi series with an enormous fan base has been cancelled, and their focus seems to be shifting from science fiction as fans like their science fiction. How might - or is - this affecting your hoped for production of the BSG mini-series, and any possible spin-off television series that may come from your labours?
You have a funny accent for an Australian.
ravesholpulsar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 10th, 2003, 08:28 PM   #2
Senmut
Strike Leader

Too bad we can't get THAT produced for broadcast!
Senmut is offline   Reply With Quote