Go Back   Colonial Fleets > BATTLESTAR GALACTICA DISCUSSION AREA > The Last Battlestar......Galactica!
Notices
The Last Battlestar......Galactica! For discussions about the ORIGINAL series
What Dreams May Come!

Old November 1st, 2012, 10:09 AM   #1261
Apolloisall
Warrior Ace

Default Re: Battlestar Galactica to the Big Screen?

Quote:
Originally Posted by peter noble View Post
All being told, I think it's for the best. The weird hybrid of the the two series thing would have never satisfied anyone and any Galactica movie could never match the one I see in my head.
Yeah, besides, David gave us a nice little wrap up.
Old November 1st, 2012, 01:59 PM   #1262
Gemini1999
Strike Leader

FORUM STAFFFleet Moderator
Colonial Fleets

When I heard the news that Singer accepted the director job for the next X-Men film last night, I knew immediately what it meant. It was nice for that brief moment of time when a new film project for Galactica was announced, but the absence of news that came after the announcement made me wonder if it would actually happen or not. I can accept the idea that the film project is dead. Its been too long and too much has happened in the genre where the film might enjoy the sort of success we would like it to have. I think that Universal knows that, I think that Singer knows that and with the mild reaction that announcement got from the fanbase, we know that too.

"If you love long enough, wish hard enough, anything is possible" - From The Boy Who Could Fly
Gemini1999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 2nd, 2012, 06:48 PM   #1263
Senmut
Strike Leader

And besides, the VS makes better scripts than they could!
----------------------------
"You know the night before was a tough one when even the sound of the fizz hurts your head." -Mike Hammer.
Senmut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 1st, 2012, 03:29 AM   #1264
Creep
Shuttle Pilot

Maybe BSG movie is more alive than it seems. I mean BSG was always kind of tied with Star Wars. When "New Hope" came out so did the BSG show. When "Phantom Menace" came out so was the interest for BSG revival and Hatch made those trailers which then led to GINO. And when it was announced that Disney bought Star Wars all of a sudden SyFy outed "Blood and Chrome" which seemed to be forever buried in the syfy's basement. So when the new Star Wars movies hit the screen it may again revive BSG as it did so far.

Even Ben Affleck gave tribute by showing BSG actors on a lot in his 70's movie "Argo"

Maybe he directs the next BSG movie.
Creep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 2nd, 2012, 06:06 PM   #1265
monolith21
Squadron Leader

I'm not too worried. I mean I don't necessarily think we are in some great shape to have the film made, but truth be told we know as much as we did before. The film had the first draft of the script commissioned not all that long ago. That means that it would have to have a few more drafts and the revisions turned in before any real movement could happen. Singer could direct a few movies in the time that that takes and still work on pre prodution.

I always come back to Transformers. DeSanto menioned he was committed to working on that film in 2003 and it was further along than Battlestar was production wise and it was still 2007 before the film hit theatres. This stuff takes some time.

Lt. Killian
Blackstar Squadron
"The Fighting Faithful"

"Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one."
-Albert Einstein
monolith21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 14th, 2013, 05:42 AM   #1266
Andreas
Shuttle Pilot

Bryan Singer last news on Battlestar Galactica Movie:

Singer has revealed that he remains keen to make a Battlestar Galactica movie, but that X-Men is his inevitable priority. "I have that one on hold for a moment", he said, "so hopefully, I'd love to be able to get back to that, but for now I'm just focused on this X-Men business".

http://www.denofgeek.com/movies/batt...-movie-on-hold

What's wrong with this guy?
Looks like he have not enough passion to make a Battlestar Galactica movie?

Old February 14th, 2013, 06:04 AM   #1267
martok2112
Colonial Story Teller

Colonial Fleets

Nothing new there.
Old February 14th, 2013, 07:29 AM   #1268
137th Gebirg
Warrior

Yeah - I'm in the "whatever" camp when it comes to Mr. Singer. As flaky and flighty as he has been about this particular project in the past decade-plus, I don't think I want him working on it at all - ever. He clearly doesn't care enough about it to light the fires proper. The fact that he squandered the last opportunity to do a TOS project in favor of the aborted "Munsters" movie, of all bloody things, says it all.

No thank you...
Old February 14th, 2013, 07:39 AM   #1269
TwoBrainedCylon
Imperious Leader

COMMAND INSIGNIAFounder
Cylon.org

How long has it been since Glen promised we'd see a film in two years?

Just wondering.
Old February 14th, 2013, 08:18 AM   #1270
Titon
Retired or am I?

Special Effects Artist
Battlestar Galactica 2003
COMMAND INSIGNIACoFounder
Colonial Fleets

Quite frankly i wish they would just leave our memory of what we had alone.

Glen will be long gone before anything ever comes out of TOS Galactica. Better to just leave us to our own thoughts on the series. I keep it alive in my own way.

Old February 14th, 2013, 09:12 AM   #1271
Apolloisall
Warrior Ace

I agree.
Old February 14th, 2013, 05:33 PM   #1272
BST
Snowball, My Angel Baby

COMMAND INSIGNIAAdmin
Colonial Fleets

This scarcely becomes a blip on my radar any more. Although, I would champion someone's effort to forward a TOS-based movie along the process, I won't be holding candlelight vigils. The time has long passed for that and that's a shame.

A TOS-based theatrical release could have been one hell of a big deal. There is definitely a money-spending customer base for good science fiction. X-Men is a good example. All the super hero movies are another. What baffles me is how anyone can overlook the potential that this show brings, with so much of the backstory untold. Any writer worth his or her salt would be foaming at the mouth to do this. Why can't it get a green light?

Universal's manipulation of the property reminds me of the weather, in a way. In the winter months, in Pittsburgh, we sometimes get quick moving snowstorms called "Alberta Clippers". They originate in Alberta, Canada and move very quickly from west to east, often times dropping enough snow to be a nuisance but, not so much as to be a problem. That's how I view Universal's machinations - enough to keep the product breathing but, not enough to really move it forward OR to let someone else move it forward.

It's a shame. There are many wonderful stories, inside TOS Galactica, waiting to be told.

You have come to journey's end
Sleep now
And dream of the ones who came before
They are calling
From across the distant shore .

Children are a message that we send
to a time that we will never see.
BST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 14th, 2013, 06:59 PM   #1273
martok2112
Colonial Story Teller

Colonial Fleets

Quote:
Originally Posted by BST View Post
This scarcely becomes a blip on my radar any more. Although, I would champion someone's effort to forward a TOS-based movie along the process, I won't be holding candlelight vigils. The time has long passed for that and that's a shame.

A TOS-based theatrical release could have been one hell of a big deal. There is definitely a money-spending customer base for good science fiction. X-Men is a good example. All the super hero movies are another. What baffles me is how anyone can overlook the potential that this show brings, with so much of the backstory untold. Any writer worth his or her salt would be foaming at the mouth to do this. Why can't it get a green light?

Universal's manipulation of the property reminds me of the weather, in a way. In the winter months, in Pittsburgh, we sometimes get quick moving snowstorms called "Alberta Clippers". They originate in Alberta, Canada and move very quickly from west to east, often times dropping enough snow to be a nuisance but, not so much as to be a problem. That's how I view Universal's machinations - enough to keep the product breathing but, not enough to really move it forward OR to let someone else move it forward.

It's a shame. There are many wonderful stories, inside TOS Galactica, waiting to be told.

Pete, I think part of the problem is that pretty much any writer that looks at doing a take on Classic Galactica is going to likely make changes that, although to them might seem to reflect their interpretation of what comprises the spirit of the original show is going to likely end up doing something that will displease those who loved the show. I think even if they go into the project with the best of intentions, they'll still piss of the fans of the original, somehow, someway....it's almost inevitable....and I think that's why some of them, despite their potential reverence for it, are gun shy to approach it.

Of course, there are those powers that be that will look on TOS with disdain, with the eye of the present, and not the love of the past.
Old February 14th, 2013, 07:13 PM   #1274
Senmut
Strike Leader

Basically, it's a case of keep dragging it out, until all those who remain of the original cast/crew are either too old, or dead. Then, problem solved.
For whatever reason, some folks do not want a BSG film done. If someone wasn't dragging their heels, it would have been done long ago. Even in H'wood, if enough people want something done, it happens.
"You know the night before was a tough one when even the sound of the fizz hurts your head." -Mike Hammer.
Old February 14th, 2013, 07:36 PM   #1275
jewels
Stablemaster, Livery Ship

FORUM STAFFFleet Modertor
Colonial Fleets

Other interpretations
1. Comcast announced this week that they were finalizing the purchase of the last 49% of NBC-U from GE. Both Comcast and GE stock went up after the announcement (that bodes well for what investors think of the new owners)

2. Some of this might still be from Universal's lack of funds and good ROI on a lot of their recent year's movies.

3. Jack the Giant Slayer is a Hollywood machine response to the 2 recent Snow White movies, Grimm and Once Upon a Time.

4. X-men is a sure bet with Singer having a hand in it. (3 good returns on his 3 prior flicks). Success builds cred., Cred builds bigger budgets and more creative freedom.

5. If they wait long enough, the rights will be with Glen's heirs and Glen will be out of the picture. This could give the creative team more latitude, good, bad or indifferent.

Just some thoughts. Not holding my breath.

Jewels

"May have been the losing side. Still not convinced it was the wrong one." Malcolm Reynolds [/color]

"We don't dictate to countries, we liberate countries." Mitt Romney [/color]
jewels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 15th, 2013, 04:59 AM   #1276
Andreas
Shuttle Pilot

A movie in the vein of TOS Galactica would be great!
For me was the orginal Galactica concept always to big and expensive for the
small screen!
Universal don't understand that the have ''for years now'' a big franchise in his hand like Star Wars!!!
But Universal like more to produce crap like ''Battleship''!!!
I get a headache when i think what Larson or Tom DeSanto or Bryan Singer could do with the money for a great Battlestar Galactica movie.
Me makes also a little confuse that we hear nothing from Tom DeSanto anymore?
And one word for the new Bryan Singer movie ''Jack the Giant Slayer'' i'am sceptical at the moment that the movie will be a big office number?
Great cast but the CGI looks crap.
What i mine is the last big box offiice hit what Bryan Singer ''direct'' is long time ago.

Hope you all can read my english?? (May be bad grammar)
Old February 17th, 2013, 08:28 AM   #1277
ray243
Shuttle Pilot

Perhaps the success of the new Star Wars trilogy might spark universal to embark on making a big-screen version of Battlestar Galactica.
ray243 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 17th, 2013, 09:37 AM   #1278
martok2112
Colonial Story Teller

Colonial Fleets

Granted back in '78 they gave the show the go ahead because they wanted, essentially, Star Wars for weekly television.

But, I suspect that in this time, despite their other misgivings about Classic Galactica, they'd see it as nothing more than a "Star Wars" wannabe that they'd try to put on the screen.

Most of the younger audiences in this day and age that enjoyed the new series would probably see it that way too, especially if they are ignorant of the Classic series itself. Even in this time, most folks are still far more aware of Star Wars than they are of Battlestar Galactica.
Old February 17th, 2013, 10:54 AM   #1279
Andreas
Shuttle Pilot

Let me say it this way!
The pilot and the 2 parts episodes had the best quality in story and FX!
Today on the big screen you can do the orginal concept !
78' they didn't had the money and it was a TV-Show so the most grim ideas and planets and aliens, they didn't could show!
I think also the ideas what Tom DeSanto and Bryan Singer want for the TV-Show were great and better as the Ronald D. Moore show but still to expensive for TV !?
Old February 17th, 2013, 11:16 PM   #1280
martok2112
Colonial Story Teller

Colonial Fleets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andreas View Post
Let me say it this way!
The pilot and the 2 parts episodes had the best quality in story and FX!
Today on the big screen you can do the orginal concept !
78' they didn't had the money and it was a TV-Show so the most grim ideas and planets and aliens, they didn't could show!
I think also the ideas what Tom DeSanto and Bryan Singer want for the TV-Show were great and better as the Ronald D. Moore show but still to expensive for TV !?
The original concept of running for the original Battlestar Galactica was to be a series of telemovies, released every three to six months, where the producers could focus bigger budgets in terms of visual effects, and generate more solid stories. Just imagine the Galactica we would've had back then if they'd gone that route. Instead, the network wanted a weekly series, and then (becoming part of the problems that plagued the original series) stuck their fingers in many aspects of production, resulting in half-finished scripts before shooting, script revisions during shooting, and last minute hand ins in the middle of a scene's shot.

It was almost as if Classic Galactica crumpled under its own weight.
Old February 19th, 2013, 09:19 PM   #1281
Sarika
Strike Leader

Quote:
Originally Posted by martok2112 View Post
Pete, I think part of the problem is that pretty much any writer that looks at doing a take on Classic Galactica is going to likely make changes that, although to them might seem to reflect their interpretation of what comprises the spirit of the original show is going to likely end up doing something that will displease those who loved the show. I think even if they go into the project with the best of intentions, they'll still piss of the fans of the original, somehow, someway....it's almost inevitable....and I think that's why some of them, despite their potential reverence for it, are gun shy to approach it.

Of course, there are those powers that be that will look on TOS with disdain, with the eye of the present, and not the love of the past.
Well said indeed, Martok.
You have perfectly expressed my exact thoughts upon this.

The Last Piscon Siress

HSH Princess Sarika Her Highness' MySpace
Sarika is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 20th, 2013, 12:45 AM   #1282
martok2112
Colonial Story Teller

Colonial Fleets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarika View Post
Well said indeed, Martok.
You have perfectly expressed my exact thoughts upon this.
<----takes a bow

Thank you, my dear.

....and now for my next trick....
Old February 21st, 2013, 10:08 PM   #1283
Sarika
Strike Leader

Quote:
<----takes a bow

Thank you, my dear.

....and now for my next trick....
Awaits his next trick....staring wide eyed.

The Last Piscon Siress

Old February 21st, 2013, 10:21 PM   #1284
martok2112
Colonial Story Teller

Colonial Fleets

.....er.....

<---- looks around....

Gah.....I forgot what my next trick was.

(runs...hides)
Old February 22nd, 2013, 11:59 PM   #1285
Sarika
Strike Leader

Quote:
.....er.....

<---- looks around....

(runs...hides)
Sighs then gets up and walks off. Mumbles something about one act wonders...

"Anybody want my ducket for "The Great Martok's Amazing Tricks" show"?

The Last Piscon Siress

Old February 23rd, 2013, 04:59 AM   #1286
martok2112
Colonial Story Teller

Colonial Fleets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarika View Post
Sighs then gets up and walks off. Mumbles something about one act wonders...

"Anybody want my ducket for "The Great Martok's Amazing Tricks" show"?

"Rootahhh....voootaaahhh....zoot! Observe....a live rabbit out of the hat, yes?"
Old February 23rd, 2013, 10:17 PM   #1287
Sarika
Strike Leader

Quote:
"Rootahhh....voootaaahhh....zoot! Observe....a live rabbit out of the hat, yes?"
She turns back around.

With one hand on her hip, she says.

"Is that all you got?"

The Last Piscon Siress

Old February 23rd, 2013, 11:32 PM   #1288
martok2112
Colonial Story Teller

Colonial Fleets

Seriously, my dear Sarika, you're not going to make me pull out the Abra-ca-pocus? It is not such for mortals to witness.
Old February 24th, 2013, 02:52 PM   #1289
Senmut
Strike Leader

Quote:
.....er.....

<---- looks around....

(runs...hides)
Tricky of you.
Old February 24th, 2013, 06:07 PM   #1290
martok2112
Colonial Story Teller

Colonial Fleets

That's my famous "disappearing" act, Senmut.