COLONIAL FLEETS NEWS
ONLY please.

Old September 20th, 2019, 12:54 PM   #181
Jayworld
Warrior

Default Re: Battlestar Galactica Movie News

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLHurley View Post
Disappointing news--and on the anniversary of the original's debut, no less. Even if it were aired on NBC (as opposed to pay streaming), I can't see myself interested enough to actually watch it.

Happy Birthday, BG. {sigh}
I'm confused. Is this new BG series a replacement for the on-again/off-again movie that we've been discussing for some time, or is this in addition to the movie?

I realize that NBC Universal owns the television rights to Battlestar, but does Glen Larson (his family) still own the film rights?

Sometimes the lack of information over a period of years and then a lot of information all at once leaves this original series fan (yes, "fan") confused....
Old September 21st, 2019, 09:06 AM   #182
Eric Paddon
Squadron Leader

Listened to the Return of a Hero audio yesterday. An impressive job of editing! I was a little skeptical at first about whether a coherent storyline could be sustained just with dialogue re-editing from the actual show but it gelled together nice by the end I felt. And congrats on those two bad dream sequences!
"They hate us with every fiber of their being. We love....freedom, independence, the right to question. To them it is an alien way of living."-The non-myopic wisdom of Commander Adama, "Saga Of A Star World"

"How do you tell a Communist? Well, it's someone who reads Marx and Lenin. And how do you tell an anti-Communist? It's someone who understands Marx and Lenin."-Ronald Reagan
Eric Paddon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 21st, 2019, 11:28 AM   #183
Darrell Lawrence
Formerly Warrior
The Lone Wolf

SPECIAL ACHIEVEMENT AWARDOwner:
Colonial Fleets
3D Gladiators
Former Webmaster:
BattlestarGalactica.com
RichardHatch.com
GreatWarofMagellan.com
Web Tech:
LauretteSpang.com
DirkBenedictCentral.com
TombsofKobol.com

Thanks. It was fun to create that. OldWarDaggit put a lot of time and effort into the editing of it.

And to think... Part 1 was completed *before* Galacticon in 2003. For the entire 3 parts, this year marked 15 years.
"Legends never die... They just get new Captains."
"Respect the past. It brought you the present."
Darrell Lawrence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 23rd, 2019, 08:59 AM   #184
Charybdis
Battlestar Callisto

Given what transpires in network TV and the proliferation of these new streaming services, I would have to think that the BSG movie idea has been scrapped and they will now forge ahead with this new TV show. But that is speculation...could be a new movie and then kick off the show on the streaming service...

http://bscallisto.proboards.com/index.cgi
Charybdis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 13th, 2019, 08:21 PM   #185
lonewriter
Shuttle Pilot

The new reboot won't be based on the original series it will based on RDM BSG. I don't know how they will do it but I doubt
there won't be anything to do with reptilian Cylons.
https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/li...reamer-1239018

I don't get all the hate for NuBSG? I thought it was one of the best shows ever made I still have much love for TOS but, I loved both shows. It's like how much I loved Star Trek TNG and DS9. I still don't u understand how they will do this unless they are setting it in the first Cylon War like it Blood and Chrome (loved it)
I think it's ok to enjoy both shows. So way we all!

Last edited by lonewriter; November 13th, 2019 at 08:39 PM..
lonewriter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 14th, 2019, 05:35 AM   #186
BST
Snowball, My Angel Baby

COMMAND INSIGNIAAdmin
Colonial Fleets

Quote:
Originally Posted by lonewriter View Post
The new reboot won't be based on the original series it will based on RDM BSG. I don't know how they will do it but I doubt
there won't be anything to do with reptilian Cylons.
https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/li...reamer-1239018

I don't get all the hate for NuBSG? I thought it was one of the best shows ever made I still have much love for TOS but, I loved both shows. It's like how much I loved Star Trek TNG and DS9. I still don't u understand how they will do this unless they are setting it in the first Cylon War like it Blood and Chrome (loved it)
I think it's ok to enjoy both shows. So way we all!
This path has been trod, countless times, over the last decade and a half.

One cannot, accurately, compare the original Galactica vs Moore's series to Roddenberry's original Star Trek, TNG, DS9, and Voyager.

The latter example is a continuation of the original story/universe/history and there is a linkage from one show to the next.

The former example has Moore's show restarting the story and creating its own history/universe.
You have come to journey's end
Sleep now
And dream of the ones who came before
They are calling
From across the distant shore .

Children are a message that we send
to a time that we will never see.
BST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 16th, 2019, 05:42 PM   #187
Eric Paddon
Squadron Leader

I would think even those who are fans of other entity can understand why for some people it will always generate hate. You can disagree with the reason for that hate, and that's okay. But understanding why some people (like myself) will never change about it, is another thing entirely.
"They hate us with every fiber of their being. We love....freedom, independence, the right to question. To them it is an alien way of living."-The non-myopic wisdom of Commander Adama, "Saga Of A Star World"

"How do you tell a Communist? Well, it's someone who reads Marx and Lenin. And how do you tell an anti-Communist? It's someone who understands Marx and Lenin."-Ronald Reagan
Old November 17th, 2019, 03:00 PM   #188
Senmut
Strike Leader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Paddon View Post
I would think even those who are fans of other entity can understand why for some people it will always generate hate. You can disagree with the reason for that hate, and that's okay. But understanding why some people (like myself) will never change about it, is another thing entirely.
Yes. We are always supposed to "move along" or to "grow", but never the other side.
Uh uhh.
----------------------------
"You know the night before was a tough one when even the sound of the fizz hurts your head." -Mike Hammer.
Senmut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 19th, 2019, 01:38 PM   #189
Jayworld
Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senmut View Post
Yes. We are always supposed to "move along" or to "grow", but never the other side.
Uh uhh.
Agreed. Unfortunately, much of the nomenclature of GINO is now forever associated with the Battlestar brand as a whole, even though much of the language, concepts and ideas within GINO never were in the original (ONLY) series. Unfortunately, unlike Star Trek or even the original three Star Wars movies, the original Battlestar has not generally fared well with the younger crowd or entertainment media. In a way, the original series references seemingly are a relic of the past in many circles.

I still am hoping that the new BG TV series on Peacock will be something that we as original series lovers will enjoy. I am still somewhat in the dark or confused as to the intent of this upcoming series as opposed to the upcoming movie that is constantly on-again/off-again/on-again (did this new series supplant the movie plans, is it a separate project, etc.?)....
Old November 20th, 2019, 06:29 AM   #190
Titon
Retired or am I?

Special Effects Artist
Battlestar Galactica 2003
COMMAND INSIGNIACoFounder
Colonial Fleets

I for one am thankful that they are leaving my version alone.

They keep "throwing up" the same crap and that's fine with me. Just leave the real Galactica in peace.
Old May 4th, 2020, 12:50 PM   #191
ernie90125
Also Present

BattlestarFanFilms.com

‘Battlestar Galactica’: Michael Lesslie To Write & Exec Produce Peacock Reboot Of Sci-Fi Franchise

https://deadline.com/2020/05/battles...ot-1202923668/
ernie90125 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 4th, 2020, 01:02 PM   #192
Darrell Lawrence
Formerly Warrior
The Lone Wolf

Colonial Fleets
3D Gladiators
Former Webmaster:
BattlestarGalactica.com
RichardHatch.com
GreatWarofMagellan.com
Web Tech:
LauretteSpang.com
DirkBenedictCentral.com
TombsofKobol.com

Sam Esmail is still the Exec Producer, so it's the same as what was reported before - it takes place in the nuBG universe.
"Legends never die... They just get new Captains."
"Respect the past. It brought you the present."
Darrell Lawrence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 5th, 2020, 05:21 AM   #193
JLHurley
Warrior

Hoping for the best...{sigh}
Old May 5th, 2020, 03:53 PM   #194
Eric Paddon
Squadron Leader

On all of these matters, I am the eternal cynic. I don't want a reboot, even one that would be done more "right" than GINO. No interest in watching this ever.

Old July 11th, 2020, 01:46 PM   #195
ernie90125
Also Present

BattlestarFanFilms.com

‘Battlestar Galactica’ Is “Progressing Nicely”, Says Peacock Originals Chief

https://deadline.com/2020/07/battles...ck-1202982542/
Old July 12th, 2020, 05:59 AM   #196
JLHurley
Warrior

Is it my imagination or is there always a pic of the ORIGINAL BG that accompanies articles about the series in development? Seems odd but gives me a bit of hope this take is less Moore and (much) more Larsen/classic.
Old July 14th, 2020, 02:38 PM   #197
Senmut
Strike Leader

We have heard this so many times, if I had a cubit for every time...
"You know the night before was a tough one when even the sound of the fizz hurts your head." -Mike Hammer.
Old July 14th, 2020, 05:51 PM   #198
JLHurley
Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLHurley View Post
Is it my imagination or is there always a pic of the ORIGINAL BG that accompanies articles about the series in development? Seems odd but gives me a bit of hope this take is less Moore and (much) more Larsen/classic.
I spoke too soon. Last night I saw another article that included photos of both the original and Moore's thing but with Moore's "headlining" it.
Old August 9th, 2020, 09:50 PM   #199
Senmut
Strike Leader

Quote:
Originally Posted by martok2112 View Post
While my views on the reimagined Battlestar Galactica have not changed (I still love that show as much as the original...difficult concept, I know), my views on Hollywood have changed a great deal over the years.

The two best movies I've seen in recent years have been Rogue One and Alita Battle Angel...

Otherwise, EVERYTHING now seems to be a remake or a reimagining....and unfortunately, for the most part, a remake or reimagining involves being "woke".... aka "politically correct", "feminazi", and full of things like "representation", "diversity", "inclusivity" and all those other Left wing buzzwords that have infested Tinsel Town for years. If someone writes a story that doesn't have enough blacks, Hispanics, or other so-designated "people of color", the story and its writer are considered racist. If a story or show does not have at least two openly gay people (who make it a point each episode or movie to remind folks that they are gay) then there's not enough "representation" and the writer and the story is considered "homophobic", "transphobic", "gender binary", etc. If the story and its writer do not present a female lead who makes all the men in the show or movie look completely incompetent or dependent on the skillset of said "Whamen", the the story and its writer are considered "misogynistic", "anti-feminist", or are considered advocates of rape culture.

Because there is no true creativity anymore. Not in Hollyweird, at least. Everything is about "target audience", and "political subtext", and boray mong like that. ZILCHOLA is about "is it a good story?", or "how do we advance the characters without violating their essence?" As long as so-called writers are more concerned about who might get mad at them, this is what we will get.
And like the Titanic, it will only go lower and lower.
Old October 9th, 2020, 07:55 AM   #200
Jayworld
Warrior

Well, with all the surmising about the proported new BG series on Peacock, I decided to "subscribe" to Peacock (FREE) via our Roku. The selection of shows is decent, and several classic TV shows as well, but of course, not like Amazon Prime or Tubi for that matter. Interestingly, Peacock showcases the Moore BG mini-series, series, and "The Plan," but Classic BG is no where to be found. To my knowledge, the only way to watch it other than on the DVD or Blu-ray sets is to subscribe (for free) to the NBC Roku channel. Is that a bad omen in relation to the new/upcoming series that the only thing Battlestar related on Peacock is Moore's GINO?
Old October 9th, 2020, 01:23 PM   #201
Westy
Warrior

I wish we could just make our own real BSG. There's more than enough talent, and excelent CGI assets to pull it off. But it's so much work �� I'd donate my Battlestar and my mostly done Basestar CGI models to any serious effort though...just saying.
Old October 11th, 2020, 11:58 AM   #202
Eric Paddon
Squadron Leader

To me, I'd settle for any of these things:

1-Some officially commissioned novels or a comic book series that does it *right* which hasn't happened since Realm Press. Have a story editor who knows all the episodes inside out who could put a halt to the constant trend toward disregarding what happened before and not building off the previous stories.

2-An audio drama that utilizes the existing music score/sound F/X and maybe utilizes the vocal talents of Anne and Dirk. I had a chance to hear an audio drama by "Broken Sea Audio" made in 2009 that unfortunately took a long time to get to the point and when it did it alas left us hanging for a follow-up series they never bothered to do. ("Return of A Hero" was much better utilizing the limited resources of existing dialogue from episodes)

The animated option would be interesting but I admit I'm not a big fan of that storytelling style. I'm not into fan movies either but would certainly give a well-written one a shot.

Old October 11th, 2020, 04:43 PM   #203
Westy
Warrior

Quote:
I'm not into fan movies either but would certainly give a well-written one a shot.
Me either, but the 14th Colony effort was promising. Too bad about what happened.
Old October 14th, 2020, 02:11 PM   #204
Jayworld
Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Paddon View Post
To me, I'd settle for any of these things:

1-Some officially commissioned novels or a comic book series that does it *right* which hasn't happened since Realm Press. Have a story editor who knows all the episodes inside out who could put a halt to the constant trend toward disregarding what happened before and not building off the previous stories.

2-An audio drama that utilizes the existing music score/sound F/X and maybe utilizes the vocal talents of Anne and Dirk. I had a chance to hear an audio drama by "Broken Sea Audio" made in 2009 that unfortunately took a long time to get to the point and when it did it alas left us hanging for a follow-up series they never bothered to do. ("Return of A Hero" was much better utilizing the limited resources of existing dialogue from episodes)

The animated option would be interesting but I admit I'm not a big fan of that storytelling style. I'm not into fan movies either but would certainly give a well-written one a shot.
At this point, Eric, an animated series based upon a continuation of the original BG might be the best and perhaps only way to go, especially if it had a Tom DeSanto type buy-in. It could feature the voice talents of Herb Jefferson, Dirk Benedict, Anne Lockhart, Terry Carter and others. By doing an animated series, whether digital or more traditional, it would have the ability of having the original cast look older but still look like the characters they played rather than new actors portraying classic roles (such as the new Star Trek films).
Old October 14th, 2020, 04:41 PM   #205
ernie90125
Also Present

BattlestarFanFilms.com

All I’ll say is be careful what you wish for...it might...

Old October 15th, 2020, 06:49 AM   #206
Jayworld
Warrior

Guess I've been wishing for an animated classic sequel series since 2005 (at least), after the Richard Hatch trailer push fell apart, the Fox continuation in 2001 fell apart, and the re-imagined mini-series premiered in 2003. Hard to believe it has been that long, but my hope never dies. Part of the reason I'm here and one of the few that checks these boards on a regular basis.
Old October 15th, 2020, 09:44 AM   #207
Eric Paddon
Squadron Leader

We've been teased endlessly since 1993 and the 15 Yahren Con when Larson implied something was possibly in the works. And not once sadly has faith ever been rewarded.

I still look in since I still like to talk about the show especially now that I'm actively writing fanfic again after taking ten years off from it due to creative burnout. Hopefully the "Virtual Season" section of the board here will finally be updated with all the stories that have been written in the last eight years by myself and others just to provide a further archival repository for them. Maybe at some point I'll bring myself to revisit the Hatch novels and try to be critical without being infuriated as I tended to be when they came out. I've been organizing the comic files, even for the ones I disliked to have for reference purposes, and I've also been fortunate to get copies of most of the original scripts for the series and G80 including unproduced ones which have been illuminating in a lot of ways regarding the show's production history.

It's kind of unfortunate there's never been something like a regular podcast about the series done by fans of it who can study these things in detail in the way I've heard podcasts for other series. Though if someone's aware of it being done, I'd like to know! (not a podcast done by some general sci-fi or TV history buff who isn't approaching Galactica as a fan)

Old October 17th, 2020, 08:39 PM   #208
Senmut
Strike Leader

EP...otherwise known as the Librarian of the Encyclopedia Galactica.
Old October 23rd, 2020, 12:33 PM   #209
Jayworld
Warrior

Hmmm, well it looks as if the movie is back on with a new writer/producer:
https://bit.ly/34lGnef

This means that the movie is a separate project from the upcoming reboot to be shown on television on the new NBC owned Peacock streaming channel. Thoughts?
Old October 23rd, 2020, 05:56 PM   #210
Eric Paddon
Squadron Leader

I can't even figure out why there would be two different versions unconnected to each other. If one of them plans to be more in the "spirit" of TOS, that's frankly still something I wouldn't be interested in because seeing a new version of the origin story is just "been there, done that" for me.