Go Back   Colonial Fleets > ALTERNATE UNIVERSES > Miscellaneous Entertainment
Notices
Miscellaneous Entertainment Talk about any other shows not covered by other forums.

View Poll Results: Do You Believe Atlantis Existed?
Yes, mid-Atlantic just like Plato said 14 35.00%
Yes, at the volcanic island of Thera/Santorini 5 12.50%
Maybe - we just need more evidence 11 27.50%
Heck no! Plato was high on olive leaves! 3 7.50%
It was in Antarctica 4 10.00%
It was in the Americas 3 7.50%
Voters: 40. You may not vote on this poll

Old October 31st, 2003, 01:46 PM   #31
Proximo
Commodore
The Andorian Simpson

That's a great theory, sort of similar to ideas Iv'e had myself (though obviously, being one of those christian people that get around like so many cockroaches, mine includes God as well). Mine is just the basis fo a scifi story though, not a complete theory of any kind, so I won't postulate on it.

I'll tell what I do find annoying, though, is the way any kind of research in to this is always hijacked by those new-age people who like to go on about crystals and transcendentalism and the like, as if they're the ultimate authority on the whole deal. Because of this, any ideas that challenge the accepted norm are always associated with teh crackpot fringe and dismised as lunacy, which really gets my goat... we really don't know that much about our history. In 150,000 years of homo sapiens sapiens existing on the planet, no more than 9000 are even remotely recorded. I find it hard to believe that the other 141,000 years involved a lot of guys sitting on their arses painting caves. Then of course there's a little known story I've read, though the details escape me (which means it should probably be taken with a huge pile of salt). In a quarry somewhere in the american mid-west, a team was digging through a large chunk of conglomerate sandstone rocks to get to the juicy coal underneath when they found a skeleton. It was burried under what any archaeologist would say is a 2 million or so year-old rock. The thing is, it was a modern human skeleton. THere was no way it could have sliped down there since it was surrounded by solid rock. There was even a fossilised mineral stain underneath it from the organic material. It wasn't publicised, of course, because that would have challenged the idea of how the rock formed, or how old man was, or something like that. Anyway, what is says is that the current orthodoxy on geology is probably in need of a rethink.

I've also seen an experiment that demonstrated how easy it is to create what looks like several thousand years of sediment layers in just a few minutes. When you have a lot of sedminetary material in flowing water, like that found at the mouth of a river, it will filter out in to classic sedimentary layers that are supposed to take thousands of years to form. All in all, it's pretty interesting. And challenging. The implications are that our planetary history might be a lot more exciting and dynamic than we're led to believe... it does also bring these 'million year old' ruins that are dismissed as fantasy in to the human timescale, making then instantly a lot more credible.
Proximo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 1st, 2003, 10:23 AM   #32
Muffit
Muff Daggy

COMMAND INSIGNIAOwner:
Colonial Fleets

This is so cool, thank you all for contributing your ideas! Some of these are very new to me.

Proximo, do you have any links to the 2 million year old skeleton found in the rock?

Those that know me also know I believe science can be reconciled with creationism, if we simply allow our minds to be open a bit. The whole series of events in Genesis can be seen to coincide with the order of appearance of forms of life, etc that science believes. That's an awfully coincidental guess for 5,000+ years ago! For instance, the word for day used to describe the seven days of creation is yowm in Hebrew and hemera in Greek. This can be translated as "age", or a very long period of time, covering the appearance and lifespan of a specific event. (Since there was no night and day as we know it for the first 3 "days", that really makes you think! Interesting!).

I love all this speculating! The discovery of a 5,000 year old battery sure makes you wonder!

Muffit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 1st, 2003, 12:49 PM   #33
Proximo
Commodore
The Andorian Simpson

Quote:
Originally posted by Muffit

Proximo, do you have any links to the 2 million year old skeleton found in the rock?
Well there's the problem, see. I can't find it again, which is why I said to take it with a grain of salt. I'm looking right now though to see what I can find.
Proximo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 1st, 2003, 09:28 PM   #34
BSG_Sci_FiPulse
Warrior

COMMAND INSIGNIAOwner/Webmaster
SciFiPulse.net

Well I believe in the myth of atlantis, and here is my sci fi theory as in what happened to atlantis. bear in mind that am making this up as I go along.

Atlantis was a great biological alien space craft. Which landed in Greece in order to make first contact with humans and try to civilise them. Thus after a time humanity began to resent the atlantians, and subsiquently the atlantians faked the destruction of there island and flew away to what is commonly refered to as the bemuda triangle. Ever wondered why so many ships and planes have gone missing in the bermuda triangle. It is because of a magnetic filed which is generated by the cloaked space craft Atlantis.

That is my theory and am sticking to it lol. Hope that solves the mystery for you all.

Yes I know it is a shameless plug but I am the one that has to live with it.
BSG_Sci_FiPulse is offline   Reply With Quote