Go Back   Colonial Fleets > BATTLESTAR GALACTICA DISCUSSION AREA > The Last Battlestar......Galactica!
Notices
The Last Battlestar......Galactica! For discussions about the ORIGINAL series
What Dreams May Come!

Old September 28th, 2011, 09:44 AM   #991
Darrell Lawrence
Formerly Warrior
The Lone Wolf

SPECIAL ACHIEVEMENT AWARDOwner:
Colonial Fleets
3D Gladiators
Former Webmaster:
BattlestarGalactica.com
RichardHatch.com
GreatWarofMagellan.com
Web Tech:
LauretteSpang.com
DirkBenedictCentral.com
TombsofKobol.com

Default Re: Battlestar Galactica to the Big Screen?

A good analogy would be something not scifi, but does tend to aim at a similar audience- The WWE. They throw some of the most ridiculous, unbelievable storylines out there, and basically tell the fans what they like, and guess what? Those fans keep coming back for more.

Moore and company started the "70's hair/disco" stuff in a disparaging manner towards the original, and look at how things followed that. So yeah, marketing can somewhat tell its fans what to like/dislike.
"Legends never die... They just get new Captains."
"Respect the past. It brought you the present."
Darrell Lawrence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 28th, 2011, 11:54 AM   #992
peter noble
Strike Leader

Colonial Fan ForceCo-Founder
Colonial Fan Force
COMMAND INSIGNIACo-Owner
TombsofKobol.com

There just isn't any demand for the original Galactica, or the newest incarnation (as a movie) either.

If anyone says there is, then this forum which has 235,274 members wouldn't have just 69 active members.

TOS had quite a good name before the new series started, I don't think four million and something people would have bothered to watch the mini-series if it hadn't had a decent rep.

Universal (with the help of stealth marketers, hostile fan groups and their own TV producers) destroyed the original to build up the remake.

I've never seen a studio deliberately destroy its own IP.

Amazing.
Old September 28th, 2011, 02:52 PM   #993
borjis
Shuttle Pilot

I would be happy if Universal released the theatrical version of Saga of a Star World on Blu-Ray.
borjis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 17th, 2011, 10:37 AM   #994
ernie90125
Also Present

SPECIAL ACHIEVEMENT AWARDOwner:
BattlestarFanFilms.com

http://blastr.com/2011/10/bryan-singers-remake-of-e.php

While Singer was attending the annual Sitges Film Festival, the director spoke to SFX about how the deal has fallen through:

"Yeah, unfortunately it is no longer going to happen," he says. "I was really enthused to do it. I'm a fan of John Boorman's movie and it was my intention to get it going after Jack The Giant Killer was completed. The project was with Warner Bros and what happened is that another King Arthur project was brought to them during that time. Basically, it was just more ready to go into production than ours was. That is why our version of Excalibur ended up being negated. But, when that happened, it allowed me to go straight into developing Battlestar Galactica - which I think will be really exciting."

While we're a bit bummed out we won't get to see a new version of Excalibur (though the film's an absolute favorite of ours, it would have been cool to see an updated version—if done right, of course—since it hasn't aged as well as we'd hoped), we're quite excited about the fact that Singer is moving ahead with his reboot of Battlestar Galactica.

Singer's version will have nothing to do with Ron D. Moore's recent successful take on the classic sci-fi series, but will rather be a re-imagining of Glen Larson's 1978 original series, with Larson on board as a producer.
ernie90125 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 17th, 2011, 12:56 PM   #995
137th Gebirg
Warrior

Interesting! There may be hope yet. Thanks for the info...
Old October 18th, 2011, 10:25 AM   #996
TwoBrainedCylon
Imperious Leader

COMMAND INSIGNIAFounder
Cylon.org

Since this film effort has been nothing but bad news, any positive spark is hopeful but I'm also left wondering if there has ever been a project that Singer hasn't put higher on his priority list than trying to develop Galactica?

I suspect the moment he's offered the chance to do the live action version of "Hello Kitty" or a remake of "Bedtime for Bonzo", Galactica will get kicked to the curb for another year or so.

All my best,

Russell
Old October 18th, 2011, 12:16 PM   #997
martok2112
Colonial Story Teller

FORUM STAFFFleet Moderator
Colonial Fleets

Sounds about right.
Old October 18th, 2011, 01:35 PM   #998
Gemini1999
Strike Leader

Colonial Fleets

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwoBrainedCylon View Post
Since this film effort has been nothing but bad news, any positive spark is hopeful but I'm also left wondering if there has ever been a project that Singer hasn't put higher on his priority list than trying to develop Galactica?

I suspect the moment he's offered the chance to do the live action version of "Hello Kitty" or a remake of "Bedtime for Bonzo", Galactica will get kicked to the curb for another year or so.
Russell -

I totally get that... First, Singer's gonna remake Logan's Run, then that doesn't pan out, moves on to another "I wanna remake..." and then another after that, which doesn't even address the projects that he actually has completed. It almost makes you wonder how passionate he really is about making this film at times. I will be happy to see a completed project, but until it's actually in production, it all feels like typical Hollywood posturing to keep their name in print.

I'll still be around if and when it happens, but until then, I just continue on as I usually do.

Bryan

"If you love long enough, wish hard enough, anything is possible" - From The Boy Who Could Fly
Gemini1999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 19th, 2011, 08:29 AM   #999
GalacticanCajun
Warrior

Sorry I haven't been here since 2006, but I just want to say if this gets made, I will be there to watch for sure.
Old October 19th, 2011, 03:21 PM   #1000
David Kerin
Warrior Ace

Colonial Fan ForceArtist
Colonial Fan Force
SPECIAL ACHIEVEMENT AWARDBattlestar Galactica
Revivalist

I think I'll believe, and be a bit more excited, when I can see some preproduction sketches... or some casting... anything that gives it a bit more weight. It does seem like Singer has been in this habit of attaching his name to things, and they they never come through. Hopefully he really will focus on this now, and maybe Battlestar can become the successful franchise Universal wants it to be.
David Kerin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 19th, 2011, 05:40 PM   #1001
Count Draken

Battlestar Galactica 1978 Re: Battlestar Galactica to the Big Screen?

I think there are people really interested in making this project come true, but no one will put a penny on the show knowing that the typical audience of todays world would not be interested in the concept of the original Galactica (ie: no long-legged hot blonds, overture to sex, crude language, and so on).

Frankly, I prefer watch the old episodes again and again, knowing that the purity of the original series is unlikely to be replicated in the near future.

(Despite this, the reimagined series has some interesting aspects)
Count Draken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 20th, 2011, 04:04 AM   #1002
BST
Snowball, My Angel Baby

COMMAND INSIGNIAAdmin
Colonial Fleets

Personally, I'll give it some room to grow legs. The project WILL go forward if those financing it think that it has money-making capability. With that in mind and given the success of Abrams' Star Trek re-boot, I'd look for more information about it closer to the time that "Trek II" goes into production.

If it's going to happen, I'd look for it to be released shortly after Trek, to ride the sci-fi coattails a bit.
You have come to journey's end
Sleep now
And dream of the ones who came before
They are calling
From across the distant shore .

Children are a message that we send
to a time that we will never see.
BST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 20th, 2011, 05:10 AM   #1003
peter noble
Strike Leader

Colonial Fan Force
COMMAND INSIGNIACo-Owner
TombsofKobol.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by BST View Post
Personally, I'll give it some room to grow legs. The project WILL go forward if those financing it think that it has money-making capability. With that in mind and given the success of Abrams' Star Trek re-boot, I'd look for more information about it closer to the time that "Trek II" goes into production.

If it's going to happen, I'd look for it to be released shortly after Trek, to ride the sci-fi coattails a bit.
Financing is a key issue, because Universal's movie studio has dropped genre projects for being too expensive like Guillermo Del Toro's 'The Mountains of Madness' and Ron Howard's adaption of Stephen King's 'The Gunslinger'.

I hope Battleship is a hit for them, as that might help BG's case, as would the Trek sequel being a hit.
Old October 20th, 2011, 10:47 AM   #1004
Titon
Retired or am I?

Special Effects Artist
Battlestar Galactica 2003
COMMAND INSIGNIACoFounder
Colonial Fleets

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Kerin View Post
I think I'll believe, and be a bit more excited, when I can see some preproduction sketches... or some casting... anything that gives it a bit more weight. It does seem like Singer has been in this habit of attaching his name to things, and they they never come through. Hopefully he really will focus on this now, and maybe Battlestar can become the successful franchise Universal wants it to be.
Dave, i won't believe it will happen until i am watching it first hand. We lost DeSanto's version and it was being made with all the sketches and pre-production work. Again i have seen this scenario played out over and over again.

I am almost to a point where i would wish they would just leave it alone.
Old October 20th, 2011, 11:07 AM   #1005
137th Gebirg
Warrior

Maybe NuBSG was right - "This has all happened before; it will all happen again."
Old October 20th, 2011, 01:26 PM   #1006
BST
Snowball, My Angel Baby

COMMAND INSIGNIAAdmin
Colonial Fleets

Quote:
Originally Posted by 137th Gebirg View Post
Maybe NuBSG was right - "This has all happened before; it will all happen again."

So said them all?

Sleep now
They are calling

Old October 20th, 2011, 02:22 PM   #1007
peter noble
Strike Leader

Colonial Fan Force
COMMAND INSIGNIACo-Owner
TombsofKobol.com

Significant update regarding the writing of the proposed movie:

http://www.deadline.com/2011/10/brya...cripting-deal/
Old October 20th, 2011, 03:13 PM   #1008
TwoBrainedCylon
Imperious Leader

COMMAND INSIGNIAFounder
Cylon.org

Sounds like a positive development and definitely something I can favor. I prefer this writer to Ron Moore, although I'd have to know more about what he wants to do with it before I got too jazzed.

I noticed after the article that the complaints by the GINO fans ring somewhat familiar. Amazing how a different take on the series ruffles feathers, no matter which side it comes from.

All my best,

Russell
Old October 20th, 2011, 04:13 PM   #1009
Gemini1999
Strike Leader

Colonial Fleets

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwoBrainedCylon View Post
Sounds like a positive development and definitely something I can favor. I prefer this writer to Ron Moore, although I'd have to know more about what he wants to do with it before I got too jazzed.

I noticed after the article that the complaints by the GINO fans ring somewhat familiar. Amazing how a different take on the series ruffles feathers, no matter which side it comes from.
Russell -

Negative commentary aside, I'll bet that they'll be in line to see it just like most of us that tuned in to see the 2003 Miniseries to see what became of it.

Bryan

"If you love long enough, wish hard enough, anything is possible" - From The Boy Who Could Fly
Old October 20th, 2011, 04:14 PM   #1010
Eric Paddon
Squadron Leader

Sorry to say this, but the ship sailed long ago for me to have any interest in any project of this nature. It's obviously not going to be a resolution to the storyline of the original series but in the best case scenario a remake of the "classic" format. Sorry, but that is a been-there, done-that kind of story for me that I have no interest in revisiting. I'm not interested in seeing the original series concept redone with new technology my only interest was to see a definable resolution to the original series storyline and obviously far too much time has passed for that to ever have any meaningful or realistic chance of ever happening.

I won't rain on anyone's parade any further. More power to those still watching, but even if this comes off it still won't be something I can embrace because it's not remotely close to what I'd hoped and dreamed for all those years. The other show destroyed those hopes forever.
"They hate us with every fiber of their being. We love....freedom, independence, the right to question. To them it is an alien way of living."-The non-myopic wisdom of Commander Adama, "Saga Of A Star World"

"How do you tell a Communist? Well, it's someone who reads Marx and Lenin. And how do you tell an anti-Communist? It's someone who understands Marx and Lenin."-Ronald Reagan
Eric Paddon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 20th, 2011, 05:11 PM   #1011
BST
Snowball, My Angel Baby

COMMAND INSIGNIAAdmin
Colonial Fleets

The article's comments were rather typical and somewhat laughable. Apparently the Moore hero-worship crowd hasn't missed a step.

At any rate, it will be interesting to see this movie plotted out since we know it will likely deal with the Colonial holocaus if, in fact, it is rebooting the story. How far will the story go in the alotted time frame? I'm hoping it would be at least 2 to 2-1/2 hours. Anything less than that is probably not going to have enough depth to the story, to make it worthwhile.
Sleep now
They are calling

Old October 20th, 2011, 08:34 PM   #1012
Gemini1999
Strike Leader

Colonial Fleets

Quote:
At any rate, it will be interesting to see this movie plotted out since we know it will likely deal with the Colonial holocaus if, in fact, it is rebooting the story. How far will the story go in the alotted time frame? I'm hoping it would be at least 2 to 2-1/2 hours. Anything less than that is probably not going to have enough depth to the story, to make it worthwhile.
Pete -

I agree about having a very dense story and a longer run time. If studios can make films like Harry Potter and Lord of the Rings where the stories were very dense (not meaning stupid) and had a run time over 2 hours, it's not a far fetched idea.

I'd be willing to sit for that length of time as long as the story is engaging to watch.

Bryan

Old October 20th, 2011, 08:53 PM   #1013
BST
Snowball, My Angel Baby

COMMAND INSIGNIAAdmin
Colonial Fleets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Paddon View Post
Sorry to say this, but the ship sailed long ago for me to have any interest in any project of this nature. It's obviously not going to be a resolution to the storyline of the original series but in the best case scenario a remake of the "classic" format. Sorry, but that is a been-there, done-that kind of story for me that I have no interest in revisiting. I'm not interested in seeing the original series concept redone with new technology my only interest was to see a definable resolution to the original series storyline and obviously far too much time has passed for that to ever have any meaningful or realistic chance of ever happening.

I won't rain on anyone's parade any further. More power to those still watching, but even if this comes off it still won't be something I can embrace because it's not remotely close to what I'd hoped and dreamed for all those years. The other show destroyed those hopes forever.

Well, hello there, Eric, how are you? Doing well I hope.

Sleep now
They are calling

Old October 21st, 2011, 12:09 AM   #1014
peter noble
Strike Leader

Colonial Fan Force
COMMAND INSIGNIACo-Owner
TombsofKobol.com

http://www.hitfix.com/blogs/in-conte...lactica-reboot
Old October 21st, 2011, 01:58 AM   #1015
Senmut
Strike Leader

Another "re-imagining".
Let it go, then.
----------------------------
"You know the night before was a tough one when even the sound of the fizz hurts your head." -Mike Hammer.
Senmut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 21st, 2011, 04:26 AM   #1016
JLHurley
Warrior

Once upon a time I would have been jumping for joy over news of a BG series or theatrical release. These days? Eh. Not holding my breath that it will happen let alone be something that appeals to me. Hoping for the best, though...
Old October 21st, 2011, 06:15 AM   #1017
BST
Snowball, My Angel Baby

COMMAND INSIGNIAAdmin
Colonial Fleets

From the sound of it, homage will be paid to Moore's show.

If that's the case, count me OUT!
Sleep now
They are calling

Old October 21st, 2011, 06:32 AM   #1018
TwoBrainedCylon
Imperious Leader

COMMAND INSIGNIAFounder
Cylon.org

I apologize in advance as this has a lot of speculation and perhaps a taint of conpiracy but here goes:

I reread all the GINO fan comments and to me, they didn't seem overtly hostile. They seem to be voicing the same concerns we were back in 2003. They like their version of the franchise, which is what they are most familiar with.

Reading the latter article with comments from the writer, it sounds to me like the driving force behind this film is not going to be to try to retell the Galactica story for the 3rd time but to tie the two series together. If I were to take a complete shot in the dark, someone at Universal has likely recognized there is an untapped or disenfranchised fanbase that didn't like GINO and isn't going to warm up to it at this point, else "Blood and Chrome" would be getting more support. Theoretically, its the element of something linked to Galactica that anyone who liked the original series should be clinging towards. That's enough to warrant a Sci-Fi Channel showing.

Instead, "Blood and Chrome" is destined for a web series.

Then (according to my speculative theory), Singer waltzes into a meeting and pitches bringing back all those fans who have turned away and scooping up a lot of new ones with a feature film. The movie will tie GINO and Galactica together and those who claim it is "Galactica in Name Only" can no longer deny that Ron Moore's version is indeed "Battlestar Galactica" because the film will solidly connect them. When that happens, you'll have another wave of folks who will buy the Blu-Ray sets of GINO because otherwise, their collections will be incomplete.

Admittedly, this is a bit like trying to be psychic but I base it on two foundations. One, in the last article, the writer clearly states that "It will all work in the universe that exists. It will not conflict with anything Ron Moore has done." He also marks himself as a GINO fan and adds that his story will be "pretty ballsy". Marry that with the known reason the previous pitches to reignite Galactica have failed, namely that Universal didn't want the fans to get confused, and you have a fusion of the two.

In fact, I'd expect that this would be something leaning closer to GINO than Galactica. GINO is more recent and more importantly, they can sell a lot more GINO Blu-rays than Galactica DVDs.

I'm ready for something along the lines of a storyline in which everyone learns that multiple universes are controlled by a manipulative "God-thing" who is repeating the same conflicts for whatever reason. Either "God" and something like Iblis keep struggling in a Yin-Yang scenario with everyone trampled underfoot or "God" is a bit sinister and manipulates everything in the Galaxy for his own perverse entertainment. This is essentially the set-up Ron Moore has already established in the finale of GINO. I see it as a logical progression that this film would attempt to bookend both series and make both more acceptable to either set of fans (for those that prefer one to the exclusion of the other).

Personally, I'd prefer that the film ignored GINO entirely but I think its obvious from the last article that isn't going to happen. For Universal, GINO is Battlestar Galactica and I think its reasonable to expect that all official Galactica efforts will be geared towards gaining greater acceptance for Ron Moore's interpretation. I don't base this on any belief that in the big picture, GINO provides a better presentation but because GINO is where Universal stands to make the most money (from unsold Blu-Ray sets and potential future syndication in both the US and Europe). In other words, I wouldn't expect this film to be the launch of a great new effort but as a mortgage payment of the existing franchise.

I'll speculate further and say that if this is indeed what is being planned, its a smart move. If the movie is a smashing success, you can move off in that direction and capitalize on its path while minimizing the negatives of a bunch of upset fans trying to tear down your effort. (Note that Ron Moore and company took specific notice of the online complaints and commented about them fairly frequently so I have to presume they were a concern). The Star Trek reboot was smart enough to do much the same thing. Yet, in this case, if the movie flounders, you still have the benefit of creating something you can point to saying "This is all Battlestar Galactica!". That also might not seem very important but it was another complaint heard from Ron Moore, David Eick, and the Sci-Fi execs so its another concern I think has to be on their minds.

In Universal's view, this likely fulfills the complaints for all the original series fans, undercuts the insults to the original series from the GINO fans, and makes everyone happy. That alone is worth getting a script together to see if the effort should progress further, which is really all that has happened at this point.

EDIT: It also slams the door on any chances of an original series continuation or next generation effort. I personally suspect that also has some appeal to at least some of the decision makers. Putting on my psychic hat, I'd think it logical that someone has figured out that if they found a way to firmly slam and lock the continuation door, everyone who liked the original series and is holding out for it to get revived will give GINO/Singer film tie-in more consideration because they will understand that this truly is the future of anything called "Battlestar Galactica". That message has been stated before but enough have rejected it saying they want the original series that I think at least someone in the Black Tower is listening. (Again, I base this on the comments made by certain officials and rumors of the reasons Tom DeSanto gained resistance in his attempts).

Time will tell if this movie does unfold any further and if so, whether or not I'm on target about its content but this is how I read the situation at the moment.

Other ideas?

All my best,

Russell

Last edited by TwoBrainedCylon; October 21st, 2011 at 06:43 AM..
TwoBrainedCylon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 21st, 2011, 07:06 AM   #1019
Eric Paddon
Squadron Leader

Quote:
From the sound of it, homage will be paid to Moore's show.

If that's the case, count me OUT!
GINO deserves the same consideration in any project like this that the original series got from Ron Moore. Which is absolutely nothing.
"They hate us with every fiber of their being. We love....freedom, independence, the right to question. To them it is an alien way of living."-The non-myopic wisdom of Commander Adama, "Saga Of A Star World"

"How do you tell a Communist? Well, it's someone who reads Marx and Lenin. And how do you tell an anti-Communist? It's someone who understands Marx and Lenin."-Ronald Reagan
Eric Paddon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 21st, 2011, 07:44 AM   #1020
137th Gebirg
Warrior

Hey, Russ - you make some very good points there. And yes, from a business standpoint, this would be a smart move in an effort to unite the fan-bases and move forward under one banner, possibly bringing in new fans that were never into Galactica to begin with. The last Star Trek movie arguably accomplished that in many ways.

Will the purists like it? Probably not. I'm now patently amused that there are staunch supporters of the NuBSG camp who now feel as the TOS loyalist camp felt back in 2003 when the new show came out. The irony is more than just entertaining to me. Personally, as an avid lover of both shows, they can't go wrong with this new concept if you're right. The arguments you mentioned make a lot of sense and, keeping some of the "God did it" closing dialog of the NuBSG finale in mind, I could easily see how they could work this in.

The "angels" in the form of head-Six and head-Baltar as emissaries from the Beings of Light, guiding the humans along just like John did in the "Terra" episodes. Iblis as the grand puppet-master, and so-on. No doubt Richard Hatch would make an appearance, some people thinking he's Apollo and others thinking he's the reincarnation of Tom Zarek and everybody on screen saying "What The Frack"?

I'm just curious how they'll reconcile one of the core differences between human-made Cylons vs. Iblis-corrupted reptilian Cylons.

Anyways, just like in politics, you can't please everyone, and Universal will go for the most mainstream money-making "centrist" target they can acquire on this project. Will it be purely a continuation of TOS? Likely not. Will it be influenced by NuBSG? Likely so. IMHO, it's better than what we've gotten for the past 30-plus years, which is nothing, and I will be happy that at least some semblance of my favorite show will live on into the future. Everything must evolve to survive and thrive - BSG is no different, and I for one shall reserve judgment until the closing credits roll.