Go Back   Colonial Fleets > BATTLESTAR GALACTICA DISCUSSION AREA > The Last Battlestar......Galactica!
Notices
The Last Battlestar......Galactica! For discussions about the ORIGINAL series
What Dreams May Come!

Old April 17th, 2003, 03:37 AM   #1

Default Prequel vs Re-imagining, an urban legend

My fellow Galacticans,

You know how one says "the truth is stranger than fiction". Well in the case of the Battlestar Galactica Revival, this is not the the case. I recieved my e-mail response from David Eick yesterday answering my questions about several topics. Many of us have heard of the "Prequel vs. Re-imagining debate". Well folks, there never really was a debate on the direction of the show. The real debate was budget and casting choices. His words about the "Prequel vs. Re-imagining" debate is that "whoever started it is just plainly spreading bull."

Mr. Eick said, he had never heard of such an option especially this late in pre-production. Maybe some of the sources who were giving information were giving false information about the behind-the-scenes activity just because the knew Continuation fans would be upset at the facts. Maybe someone created the "Prequel vs. Re-imagining" debate to give the fans a sense of they fought well but the TPTB aren't listening. Whatever is the reason, there was never such a debate in January of 2003.

In reality, the mini-series fans letters did not play a decisive factor in the decision because the decision had been made many months prior to the "debate". As for the person known as Treklord, Mr. Eick believes he was a fan playing a cruel joke on the fans. If he is a Universal employee like some say, then this must have been done by someone involved with marketing for the video game. It had no impact on the production whatsoever.

What we have here is an urban legend that the mini-series fans somehow stabbed the Continuation fans in the back. Well folks, that is completely untrue according to Mr. Eick. The only thing our letters did was to bolster the production's ability to secure a larger budget by showing that support does exist for a production not yet filmed. He does say that every little $ they secured on top of the original budget was thanks to the letters of support from the fans of the new mini-series. These letters did not change the direction of the series and it had been planned as a "re-imagining" for several months now.

If anyone wants to take the time to verify these facts with Mr. Eick, you can e-mail him at askdavideick@www.scifi.com with these same questions. It took him three weeks to answer my e-mail but I am glad he did. I would like to thank siress13 for letting the fans know that Mr. Eick does listen and will e-mail people back about legitimate questions.

Sincerely,

Captain James
Old April 17th, 2003, 05:42 AM   #2
Titon
Retired or am I?

Special Effects Artist
Battlestar Galactica 2003
COMMAND INSIGNIACoFounder
Colonial Fleets

Yes, the truth *is* stranger than fiction.

Oh what a tangled web the scifi channel weaves.

Old April 17th, 2003, 06:08 AM   #3
TwoBrainedCylon
Imperious Leader

COMMAND INSIGNIAFounder
Cylon.org

My problem here is that this arguement says since the fans weren't being considered then anything we (the Neos) did doesn't matter. "No harm - No foul!" I won't get into all the reasons why here but if these subjects aren't supposed to be discussed here then JUST David Eicks comments should be posted NOT Milton's spin doctoring as to why he shouldn't be blamed.

Otherwise, his "sharing" is nothing more than CF sponsered propoganda.

I'll reserve my other comments.

Two-Brain
Old April 17th, 2003, 07:07 AM   #4
the3rdhuman
Bad Email Address

Default Eick's words are most likely meant

To clean the slate of all of the bad commentary that has tarnished the production for the past few months.
the3rdhuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 17th, 2003, 08:35 AM   #5
Micheleh
Watashiwa Shin no Noir

Veteran
Fleets Warrior
SPECIAL ACHIEVEMENT AWARDFormer Assistant
Richard Hatch

It's a PR spin, no more. Captain James, I admit to your right to an opinion.

However, I remind everyone to take into account that this person is a newer member who posts here solely to dispense tailored information with a remarkable level of supposed expertise for a mere fan. (Information which can be easily contractided, btw.) I recommend that everyone be wary of being led in any particular direstion, read the posts, take from it what you will, and avoid being led into argument.

If Mr. Eick wnats to convey anything that badly, he can come here and do it himself. Otherwise it is just more heresay.
Micheleh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 17th, 2003, 09:03 AM   #6
LordStarFyre
Warrior

Default Uh Oh, now you've done it Micheleh

...We're gonna be swamped by the Moore Fan (s) around here telling us that we're just in denial because we are attached to Richard's Undergarments.

LordStarFyre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 17th, 2003, 09:04 AM   #7
Dennis
Bad Email Address

Well, that's not an attractive image.
Dennis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 17th, 2003, 09:09 AM   #8
LordStarFyre
Warrior

Default Don't blame me for that Image

Dennis, that was used HERE by a Moore Fan...

After he of course told me I just wanted 70's TV and Disco Hair...

I guess he was bored by the "scripted" Pro-Moore arguments...
Old April 17th, 2003, 09:30 AM   #9
BSGDAN
Shuttle Pilot

Default I find it hard to belive that Milton...

...was just such a huge fan of Ron Moore's that he did all of this because he wanted to defend Moore's rights as a writer. This is just too odd. I have to wonder just what Milton is getting in return for his past and continued "services" to the remake staff. It's clear that Milton and his followers are NOT fans of GALACTICA, and they never will be. Instead, most seem to be bored TREKKIES latching on to one of thier more popular writers. I wonder if they bothered to fight this hard for Moore's "rights" when WB cancelled the "Dragonriders..." project. Probably not. Still, they view the original GALACTICA as a relic of the past that has no relevance today (which is very ironic to me, seeing as how Ron Moore is the writer of the ST:TNG episode "Relics"). The followers ("Neos") are too easy to figure out (and BTW, there are way too many of them running things on THIS board), but Milton is somewhat a mystery. I wonder just what made him get into this whole thing. My personal feeling is that Milton is just a wannabe. Sure, he works with the DNC (he makes me embarassed to be a Democrat), but he really wants to work in Hollywood. He likes TREK, which is how he became a vocal Moore supporter. His original attacks as MOORE_MAN were appreciated by Moore himself, and I do believe that he received those "goodies" as a personal thank-you for the support. When the abrasive M_M attacks were working against the production, Moore asked him to change tactics in favor of a more "open" approach. When many misguided "Retros" began to embrace Milton (and you all know who you are) for the sake of compromise, he quietly had his followers working to sabotage those efforts. Now, Milton is running his own website, dishing out propoganda for the new production. Stallion uncovered the very real possibility that Milton is actually working "on site" for the new production. Although we probably won't know for sure if that's the truth or not, it would certainly fall within the realm of possibility knowing Moore's history of rewarding his "number one fan". Personally, I think it's time for people to cease giving credibility to this clown. It's too late to hope that he will keep to his own board (he'll continue to gloat, and he will be allowed to as long as remake fans are the moderators of this board). However, we don't have to feed his inflated sense of self-worth. Milton James will forever be MOORE_MAN, and he will always be a troll (no better than Languatron).

Dan
BSGDAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 17th, 2003, 10:02 AM   #10
Dennis
Bad Email Address

Default Re: Don't blame me for that Image

Quote:
Originally posted by LordStarFyre
Well, I should send him/her a little "thank you" for helping keep my weight down today -- put me entirely off my morning snack.
Old April 17th, 2003, 10:18 AM   #11
JSC1
Warrior

Default It doesn't matter if it was a joke or not...

Original series fans are still screwed. No hope for a continuation.

We're still spat on by fans of the remake.

And Moore and Eick are not willing to listen to anyone but themselves.

It's not fair. And it's not right.
JSC1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 17th, 2003, 10:36 AM   #12
adjudicator
On Vacation...

your right its not fair and I have discovered that fans of Moores Galatica use strange arguements to prove there point. *oh well*
adjudicator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 17th, 2003, 10:38 AM   #13
Hito
Warrior

Veteran
Fleets Warrior

Default Re: Re: Don't blame me for that Image

Quote:
Originally posted by Dennis
Well, I should send him/her a little "thank you" for helping keep my weight down today -- put me entirely off my morning snack.
That would be me dennis.
And apparently LSF is more fixated on the undergarments than i'd originaly suspected since it is apparently a subject is is not in a hurry to "drop".

Quote:
Originally posted by LordStarFyre

After he of course told me I just wanted 70's TV and Disco Hair...

I guess he was bored by the "scripted" Pro-Moore arguments...
I am not pro moore, and i never said anything about hair or disco.
My assertion is that it wouldnt matter if Galactica was to come back as a continuaiotn or remake or whatever and it also wouldnt matter if it were moore or desanto or whoever else in charge.
There would alwys be a segment "Hardcore"of fandom that would find a reasopn not to support the production because their nostalgic memories of the original would always trump the artistic vision of whoever was the producer.

I knew that I could never again raise my voice against the violence of the oppressed in the ghettos without having first spoken clearly to the greatest purveyor of violence in the world today -- my own government....
~ Dr. Martin Luther King ~

I can hear God saying to America: “You are too arrogant! If you don't change your ways, I will rise up and break the backbone of your power!"
Hito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 17th, 2003, 10:39 AM   #14
Hito
Warrior

Veteran
Fleets Warrior

Quote:
Originally posted by adjudicator
your right its not fair and I have discovered that fans of Moores Galatica use strange arguements to prove there point. *oh well*
No more strange than others who support continuaiotn.

I knew that I could never again raise my voice against the violence of the oppressed in the ghettos without having first spoken clearly to the greatest purveyor of violence in the world today -- my own government....

I can hear God saying to America: “You are too arrogant! If you don't change your ways, I will rise up and break the backbone of your power!"
Hito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 17th, 2003, 11:06 AM   #15
LordStarFyre
Warrior

Default Letting it Drop?

" And apparently LSF is more fixated on the undergarments than i'd originaly suspected since it is apparently a subject is is not in a hurry to "drop"."

Not Really Hito, Why Drop one of the Most creative arguments I've seen the Pro-Moore Factions use to date to defend the Re-Imagining.

Attachment to Richard's Jock was by far the Most Creative one's I've seen used...
Old April 17th, 2003, 11:12 AM   #16

Hello all...

Joining the discussion as a fan of the mini series.

If you take notice, both messages are authored by MichaelLegresley handle.

http://www.scifi.com/mbb/browse.php?rid=3766

http://www.scifi.com/mbb/browse.php?rid=3764

Please tell me what you see?
Old April 17th, 2003, 11:20 AM   #17
adjudicator
On Vacation...

Default did some research very odd

http://bboard.scifi.com/bboard/browse.cgi/1/5/531/851

take a look this is the same thread from the old board.

"BSG, is like your american salad bar, I take what I like and scrap the rest." The Ron Moore version
Old April 17th, 2003, 11:24 AM   #18
michaelfaries
Great Honored Warrior (ret.)
BG Fandom Leader (ret.)

SPECIAL ACHIEVEMENT AWARDFather of BG websites
BattlestarGalactica.com(ret)
BattlestarPegasus.com(ret)

Default Let's clarify something

The "prequel" discussions did take place at Universal months ago. One producer was open to it; another wasn't. In fact, one of those producers reached out and contacted a fan to get his insights about a prequel. (I'm not disclosing the fan's name unless he wishes to step forward and discuss the topic.) Just ask Ronald D. Moore. Just ask David Eick, who seems to be in denial of the subject. It sounds like Mr. Eick and Mr. Moore don't communicate too well.

Mr. Eick's statement of "whoever started it is just plainly spreading bull" is pure bull.

I'll add this: Sandy (Two-Brained) heard prequel discussions via his contacts. I've heard prequel discussions via my contacts. Neither of us has the same contacts. There are others here who have heard things as well; it's up to them whether they want to share their insights or not. It seems too strange that these specific topics were discussed/leaked -- and so many people heard about them.

I'd like to add this, too: Mr. Eick has been contacted for an interview by BattlestarGalactica.com and BattlestarPegasus.com. I welcome the opportunity to discuss the matter with him.

Michael
:colwar:
Old April 17th, 2003, 11:25 AM   #19
Dennis
Bad Email Address

Quote:
Originally posted by Klingon Warrior
Hello all...

Joining the discussion as a fan of the mini series.

If you take notice, both messages are authored by MichaelLegresley handle.

http://www.scifi.com/mbb/browse.php?rid=3766

http://www.scifi.com/mbb/browse.php?rid=3764

Please tell me what you see?
LOL -- what I see is that Sci-Fi has screwed up the importation of messages from the old board.

Take a look here for the originals:

Old April 17th, 2003, 11:32 AM   #20

Looks like a mistake now that you show the old thread. Thanks Dennis. I never saw the original, just the new version.

Maybe this is David Eick's way of setting up TwoBrainedCylon.
Old April 17th, 2003, 11:32 AM   #21
adjudicator
On Vacation...

Default exactly

just what I was getting at several posts before.

"BSG, is like your american salad bar, I take what I like and scrap the rest." The Ron Moore version
Old April 17th, 2003, 11:53 AM   #22
Afan2
Bad Email Address

The new board certainly confuses TwoBrainedCylon with a variety of characters. LOL!
Afan2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 17th, 2003, 11:58 AM   #23
adjudicator
On Vacation...

Default hmmm interesting

I posted to the Sci-Fi board as a reponce to the thread concerning two-brain might be michael and it was never posted however my complaint about it not being posted was...

Old April 17th, 2003, 11:59 AM   #24
Afan2
Bad Email Address

Did the text of your reply contain antything objectionable?

My reply - not posted yet either - was the following:

'Look at the original posts:

Boy, is this new board a mess! And I thought the previous one already WAS moderated!
Suits...'

(I know they don't like being called 'suits'...)

Afan2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 17th, 2003, 12:05 PM   #25
michaelfaries
Great Honored Warrior (ret.)
BG Fandom Leader (ret.)

SPECIAL ACHIEVEMENT AWARDFather of BG websites
BattlestarGalactica.com(ret)
BattlestarPegasus.com(ret)

Default Re: hmmm interesting

Quote:
Originally posted by adjudicator
I posted to the Sci-Fi board as a reponce to the thread concerning two-brain might be michael and it was never posted however my complaint about it not being posted was...
Do I understand correctly that you think I am Two-Brained?

If so, let me state this again, as I've done before: I use one -- and only one -- handle. And it's my real name.

The one and only Michael
:colwar:
michaelfaries is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 17th, 2003, 12:07 PM   #26
LordStarFyre
Warrior

Default Dennis

...Dennis, I hate to say this, but that is the kind of Games Moore and Eick play. I'm seeing also, that those who support them aren't above playing those "Win at any cost" games as well. This includes throwing out Bogus charges of Cyber-Terrorism and such.

If Moore was a competent Producer, with a Good Product, he and his minions wouldn't have to do this sort of nonsense.

His actions speak louder than that pathetic POS script he wrote on just how bad a product he is capable of producing.

What amazes me is that it took some people so long to figure out just what a degenerate Moore is. For a long time, so many people were saying "Give him a chance, he's a Professional. Wait and See". Now, even Most of the people that said that have come over to the Light, realizing that Moore is going to Destroy Galactica, and that those who support him are assisting him in doing it.

All this really makes me wonder just how bad Star Trek would have been if Majel Roddenberry, Rick Berman, and Brannon Braga hadn't been there to rein in Moore and his Delusions of Grandeur.

I'm more curious than ever what Braga and Berman REALLY think of their backstabbing little "friend".

Old April 17th, 2003, 12:11 PM   #27
adjudicator
On Vacation...

Default no this is a different michael

I could not remember the last name, just follow the thread and you see who I refuring to.

Old April 17th, 2003, 12:39 PM   #28
Dennis
Bad Email Address

I've satisfied my concern as to where the "cyber-terrorism" myth started, and it wasn't a pro-Moore person. But Milton was certainly too quick to go public with it. I never believed in it and would not have published it.
Old April 17th, 2003, 12:44 PM   #29
LordStarFyre
Warrior

"I've satisfied my concern as to where the "cyber-terrorism" myth started, and it wasn't a pro-Moore person"

Of course, it would be hard for any Pro-Moore person to do anything wrong, what with their Halos and Harps keeping them from doing anything Evil...

It must clearly be us Evil Old Guard who are responsible...

Geez...
Old April 17th, 2003, 12:48 PM   #30
Atlantiaviper
Bad Email Address

This information about there never being a serious prequel vs. remake debate tracks very closely with my own information. I was told that while Moore discussed the matter with Eick and Eisner (the first director) at a very early stage -- well before the script was even written -- that it never came up with the studio or network. Contrary to other reports, as far I know there was never a "debate" within the studio on this issue and certainly no script rewrites ordered with a prequel agenda in mind. I did personally hear Moore talk about the idea once (he was with a group of studio people at Universal and my source was tangentally part of the conversation and I was there to go to lunch with my source) but my impression was he thought it would be too difficult to pull it off. (A caveat -- I really didn't hear much of the conversation, but that was the gist of it to the best of my recollection.)
Atlantiaviper is offline   Reply With Quote