Go Back   Colonial Fleets > BATTLESTAR GALACTICA DISCUSSION AREA > Battlestar Galactica
1978/80 Episode Reviews
Notices

Old March 19th, 2004, 06:08 PM   #31
Bombadil

This episode solidified my impression that BG was basically a comic book. Don't misunderstand--I LIKE comic books. I LOVED Men In Black! But the idea that the fleet HAD to go right past that gun was totally silly. Why couldn't they just go way around the back side of the planet? Answer: there is no reason, except in a fantasy universe where the rules are whatever the writers say the rules are. But, given the comic book rules of reality, it was a fun episode to watch.
Old March 20th, 2004, 10:32 AM   #32
shiningstar
Bad Email Address

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomasbombadil
This episode solidified my impression that BG was basically a comic book. Don't misunderstand--I LIKE comic books. I LOVED Men In Black! But the idea that the fleet HAD to go right past that gun was totally silly. Why couldn't they just go way around the back side of the planet? Answer: there is no reason, except in a fantasy universe where the rules are whatever the writers say the rules are. But, given the comic book rules of reality, it was a fun episode to watch.
Actually that wasn't the 'impression' I got from watching that episode at all.
I liked the episode. It made for a good story.
shiningstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 27th, 2004, 03:00 AM   #33
gmd3d
Major

GOIPZ is one of my favorites episodes I loved the sence of atmosphere while on the planet...the snow, the shuttle crashing and the Viper too watching the landram make it way across the snow covered landscape having march across the mountains, Starbuck sarching for Cree leaving poor Boomer to carry the on the mission. Apollo's attemps to show Ravashol the the clones are not just clones but have evolved in to child baring beings.

simply put great entertainment what TV is all about

"The world is my country, science my religion.”
gmd3d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 15th, 2004, 06:02 PM   #34
Omega
Shuttle Pilot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charybdis
Also, if I'm correct, this is also the only other episode that features the shots of the viper pilots being ferried down the corridor on those sleds of some sort. They only appeared in the pilot and in this episode never to be seen again...
They also used the shot in Fire in Space- found that out when I watched last night.
Omega is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 28th, 2004, 08:40 PM   #35
Captain Morgan

Finally watched GUN and it was great!Action,adverture,snow and plenty of the CYLONS!The GUN had me worried for awhile I figured one of the other ships
might get it.also I think that Wolf guy was a bad guy in alot of 70's shows
wish I could remember what?Maybe Starsky and Hutch?
Old April 28th, 2004, 11:51 PM   #36
kitty
Bad Email Address

I recently watched that episode with my 10 year old daughter, which made it even more enjoyable, as she got so in to it, she was telling them to hurry up and kept getting frustrated when ever they stopped on the way to blow the gun up. There was alot of arm waving and fist shaking. She has never been like that b4 while watching tv, and never since.
kitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 30th, 2004, 09:38 PM   #37
Captain Morgan

I hope your daughter stays a fan!
Old September 15th, 2004, 07:19 AM   #38
BRG
Warrior

Cool ****

4 out of 5!

A really good action episode, with Apollo, Starbuck & Boomer all on top form. There were great, tense moments all through the episode. Some brilliant action- Cree's Viper being brought down(strangly simmilar to Luke Skywaker's Snowspeeder crash in Empire! ), Starbuck fighting to land the crippled shuttle, Starbuck on the Snow Ram's cannon vs the Cylon Raider, and the whole last sequence, with Apollo leading the assault on the pulsar, Starbuck leading the attack on the Cylon garrison, and the Galactica charging down the corridor while all 3 were on a simultanious countdown was gripping, endge of your seat entertainment. I LOVED IT!

The only negitive points. Why did Boxey have to be there? he last thing a commando team needs on a suicide mission is an annoying brat tagging allong.
Brit Ekland! But why did she have to wear that outfit? Loose fitting boiler suit and an Andy Capp bunnet. If your going to have someone that hot on the show, at least give us a hint of cleavage and a bit of leg!
BRG

PS- Richard Lynch, who played Wolfe, has indeed been a regular guest star in many famous shows since the mid 70's. He was the villian in the pilot episode of Starsky & Hutch, and he was in 2 other episode of that show. Other apperances include 'The Streets of San Francisco'(opposite Richard Hatch!), 'Charlies Angels', 'Buck Rogers', 'TJ Hooker' & 'The A Team'.
Star Trek fans may remember him from the TNG two parter 'Gambit', where he played pirate leader Baran in that classic episode.
BRG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 23rd, 2004, 03:25 AM   #39
peter noble
Strike Leader

Colonial Fan ForceCo-Founder
Colonial Fan Force
COMMAND INSIGNIACo-Owner
TombsofKobol.com

Default Gun On Ice Planet Zero (Part 1)

Gun On Ice Planet Zero

Original Airdate Part 1: October 22, 1978

Writers: Leslie Stevens, Michael Sloan and Don Bellisario.

Director: Alan J. Levi.

Guest Cast: Roy Thinnes (Croft), James Olson (Thane), Dan O'Herlihy (Dr. Ravashol), Christine Bedford (Leda), Britt Ekland (Tenna)

A Viper patrol discovers a massive cannon on a nearby planet capable of destroying the Galactica in a single pulse. Trapped by approaching Basestars, Adama sends a team down to the planet to destroy the weapon before time runs out.

“We did talk about Guns of Navarrone and I think that’s how the genesis of that came about,’ recalls writer/producer Michael Sloan. “You don’t so much rip them off as say, lets take that idea and give it the spin of this particular show.”

Old October 27th, 2004, 12:49 PM   #40
thomas7g
out there somewhere

COMMAND INSIGNIAFormer Admin (ret)
Colonial Fleets
BattlestarGalactica-Fleets.com
Owner
Ship Of Lights Forum

Excellent Peter! Thanks for the reminder. I think we should bring more attention to the fact that we are passing through the enniverary dates of the original airing

"There is a meaning for wings that can not fly!
Its a precious memory of when you once flew in the sky."
thomas7g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 27th, 2004, 02:20 PM   #41
jewels
Stablemaster, Livery Ship

FORUM STAFFFleet Modertor
Colonial Fleets

There were so many fun things about this episode, as I look at it now--the humans reactions to the clones being one. (Ser9 and the other Ser that were in the 1st of the clones' hideways when the landing party awoke). Baltar and Lucifer got some good jabs in too.

Also we saw both the Snow Ram and the Shuttle in this. The pulsar was pretty impressive too. Good Hardware episode. Good contrast in good vs. evil and how "evil" (the convicts) could choose to contribute to the common good of the fleet.

I remember the 1st time seeing it that it actually had some nice suspense (for that day's TV) with the split episode making you extra hungry for more.

"May have been the losing side. Still not convinced it was the wrong one." Malcolm Reynolds [/color]

"We don't dictate to countries, we liberate countries." Mitt Romney [/color]
jewels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 27th, 2004, 02:57 PM   #42
kingfish
Strike Leader

COMMAND INSIGNIAAdministrator
Battlestar Pacifica
Battlestar Rycon

This one was one of the best. We see a two brained Cylon in charge Vulpa. The Baltar/Lucifer interaction was excellently done. I can't wait for the anniversary of one of the greatest BG episodes ever made, The Living Legend.
kingfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 27th, 2004, 03:38 PM   #43
Eric Paddon
Squadron Leader

This was the episode that I think cemented my status as a long term Galactica fan at age nine, because the non-stop action was what was so great about the story and made me anxious to see every episode from then on.

There was one interesting technical change that took place between part one and part two. If you listen carefully in part one, all of the Cylons, including command centurion Vulpa talk in the same mechanical tone of voice, but only in part two do we finally get the different pitched voices that lends some greater distinctiveness to the centurion ranks with a higher pitched tone for higher ranked silver centurions and the lower pitched tone for gold command centurions like Vulpa.
Eric Paddon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 27th, 2004, 05:24 PM   #44
kingfish
Strike Leader

Battlestar Pacifica
Battlestar Rycon

Quote:
Originally Posted by BRG
4 out of 5!

A really good action episode, with Apollo, Starbuck & Boomer all on top form. There were great, tense moments all through the episode. Some brilliant action- Cree's Viper being brought down(strangly simmilar to Luke Skywaker's Snowspeeder crash in Empire! ), Starbuck fighting to land the crippled shuttle, Starbuck on the Snow Ram's cannon vs the Cylon Raider, and the whole last sequence, with Apollo leading the assault on the pulsar, Starbuck leading the attack on the Cylon garrison, and the Galactica charging down the corridor while all 3 were on a simultanious countdown was gripping, endge of your seat entertainment. I LOVED IT!

The only negitive points. Why did Boxey have to be there? he last thing a commando team needs on a suicide mission is an annoying brat tagging allong.
Brit Ekland! But why did she have to wear that outfit? Loose fitting boiler suit and an Andy Capp bunnet. If your going to have someone that hot on the show, at least give us a hint of cleavage and a bit of leg!
BRG

PS- Richard Lynch, who played Wolfe, has indeed been a regular guest star in many famous shows since the mid 70's. He was the villian in the pilot episode of Starsky & Hutch, and he was in 2 other episode of that show. Other apperances include 'The Streets of San Francisco'(opposite Richard Hatch!), 'Charlies Angels', 'Buck Rogers', 'TJ Hooker' & 'The A Team'.
Star Trek fans may remember him from the TNG two parter 'Gambit', where he played pirate leader Baran in that classic episode.

Well said:

I remember the Starsky and Hutch episode with Lynch. Lynch is killing cab drivers because he was the victim of a hit and run which left him with a mechanical prosthetic arm.Well said. John Colicos appeared on Vega$ as a man who is seeking revenge for his son's death at the hands of Dan Tanna. Tanna was responsible for the son's imprisonment. Colicos' character poisons Tanna. Lorne Greene was also in a two hour Vega$ movie as a man who has Tanna brainwashed into believing that his best friend Roth needs to be killed.
Old October 27th, 2004, 06:53 PM   #45
jewels

Colonial Fleets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Paddon
This was the episode that I think cemented my status as a long term Galactica fan at age nine, because the non-stop action was what was so great about the story and made me anxious to see every episode from then on.

There was one interesting technical change that took place between part one and part two. If you listen carefully in part one, all of the Cylons, including command centurion Vulpa talk in the same mechanical tone of voice, but only in part two do we finally get the different pitched voices that lends some greater distinctiveness to the centurion ranks with a higher pitched tone for higher ranked silver centurions and the lower pitched tone for gold command centurions like Vulpa.
Peter Berkos, the sound designer (later an Oscar winner), would love that you noticed that. I wish I'd taken notes when he talked about what went into some of the classic key BG sound effects (back at Galacticon). Nothing was just one sound, there were all sorts of things layered together for how Muffit moved, the cylon movements, ship sounds, etc. The man is a pure artist with sound. I hope he was at one of the Cons you got to go to, he only spoke briefly but he so loved what he was able to add to the show. Brilliant and extremely nice man.

"May have been the losing side. Still not convinced it was the wrong one." Malcolm Reynolds [/color]

Old October 28th, 2004, 03:36 AM   #46
justjackrandom
Bad Email Address

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Paddon
I love this episode so much and have seen it so many times, I have noticed a number of other interesting continuity differences as well.

My understanding is that this was being shot at the same time as SSW, but halted when they went to series, and then picked up again with some re-shooting and re-editing. One thing that results from this that sticks out is Starbuck's hair, which changes length several times.

Additionally, the close-up hero shots of pilots in Vipers mark this as being made at or around the same time as SSW. It is only in these two episodes (and stock footage from these eps) that small LED lights (one green and one red) can be seen on the inside of the Viper canopy's vertical spar.

JJR
justjackrandom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 28th, 2004, 06:25 AM   #47
julix
Bad Email Address

I also loved this episode! Was a very good story. I loved the clone idea and them revolting.......It is hard to believe it was 26 years ago.....................................................Wow!!!
julix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 28th, 2004, 06:47 AM   #48
gmd3d
Major

Thumbs up

WOW 25 years, and still great to look at. I am going to watch it today

"The world is my country, science my religion.”
gmd3d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 28th, 2004, 08:47 AM   #49
kingfish
Strike Leader

Battlestar Pacifica
Battlestar Rycon

Quote:
Originally Posted by justjackrandom
I love this episode so much and have seen it so many times, I have noticed a number of other interesting continuity differences as well.

My understanding is that this was being shot at the same time as SSW, but halted when they went to series, and then picked up again with some re-shooting and re-editing. One thing that results from this that sticks out is Starbuck's hair, which changes length several times.

Additionally, the close-up hero shots of pilots in Vipers mark this as being made at or around the same time as SSW. It is only in these two episodes (and stock footage from these eps) that small LED lights (one green and one red) can be seen on the inside of the Viper canopy's vertical spar.

JJR

It was shot the same time Saga was filmed. Gun was to be the second episode in the series. That is why there is no Cassi or Serina. Serina and Cassi were both slated to die in the pilot. BG was never meant to be a WEEKLY show. After Saga premiered, Larson wanted to wait a full year to develop BG but the suits woudn't let him.
Old October 28th, 2004, 09:08 AM   #50
Eric Paddon
Squadron Leader

You can also tell that all of the scenes with Baltar and Lucifer were shot after the fact as well, since the decision to keep him alive clearly hadn't been made at the time shooting began. The last scene of them in part two in fact is comprised entirely of random shots where you never see a close-up of Baltar speaking so that way they could just use some previously shot footage and dub the dialogue in later.
Old October 29th, 2004, 11:05 AM   #51
peter noble
Strike Leader

Colonial Fan ForceCo-Founder
Colonial Fan Force
COMMAND INSIGNIACo-Owner
TombsofKobol.com

Gun on Ice Planet Zero (Part 2)

Original Airdate: October 29, 1978

Writers: Leslie Stevens, Michael Sloan and Don Bellisario.

Director: Alan J. Levi.

Guest Cast: Roy Thinnes (Croft), James Olson (Thane), Dan O'Herlihy (Dr. Ravashol), Christine Bedford (Leda), Britt Ekland (Tenna)

A Viper patrol discovers a massive cannon on a nearby planet capable of destroying the Galactica in a single pulse. Trapped by approaching Basestars, Adama sends a team down to the planet to destroy the weapon before time runs out.

Gun on Ice Planet Zero is the final installment in the originally planned Galactica miniseries. Although broadcast later in the season, it was a return to the epic roots of the pilot and Lost Planet of the Gods. Alan J. Levi returned to direct the two-parter, which was set primarily on a barren arctic waste.

“We had to order extra Cylon uniforms because we had blown the felgercarb out of almost all of them on the pilot,” he recalls. “We had to design the sets and everything else from scratch.”

To simulate the frozen terrain, Levi used a double stage covered with synthetic snow.

Although the director requested two air conditioners to cool the stage, the studio initially – and unwisely – only provided one. “The first day was horrendous because all the cast was in parkas and masks. They’d be in those parkas 20 seconds and before I could say ‘action’ they’d be sweating. We were halfway done with the day and we had lost three hours due to makeup runs. So by the end of the week we had two air conditioners on stage. We kept the air at 54 degrees and the entire crew was wearing parkas.”

peter noble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 29th, 2004, 11:25 AM   #52
jewels

Colonial Fleets

Quote:
Originally Posted by peter noble
Gun on Ice Planet Zero (Part 2)
Mmmmm. Starbuck. This man should make more movies.

Old October 29th, 2004, 12:34 PM   #53
kingfish
Strike Leader

Battlestar Pacifica
Battlestar Rycon

If DeSanto had gotten his way we would have seen tons more of Starbuck, stogie and all.
Old October 29th, 2004, 12:48 PM   #54
kingfish
Strike Leader

Battlestar Pacifica
Battlestar Rycon

An excellent review of gun:

http://s4.invisionfree.com/Battlesta...528&st=0&#last
Old December 28th, 2004, 04:05 PM   #55
Fragmentary

What a great episode! It’s so epic in scope and execution. So many sets, so many nice FXs. You can really see what made this show so expensive in this one. In fact, I bet most sci-fi wouldn’t even tackle an episode like this today. The cost of doing it well would mean cutting too many corners to even try. Not just one ship crash, but TWO! Sheesh.

Again, the DVD has a great extra for this ep. In fact, the best scene in the episode, IMO, is only a bonus scene. When Apollo confronts Adama about why he wasn’t chosen for the mission is great conflict. A shame it didn’t make it into the episode, that’s the sort of thing is that makes memorable TV. Was it included in the movie version of this episode? Had to have been. Also in that same scene I noticed that you can see Adama’s old flight helmet on a shelf. I’m sure that’s in other episodes as well, but it looks like it might be different colors than the current Galactica ones. A nice touch. Anyone know if you can see the colors better in another ep?
Fragmentary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 28th, 2004, 04:54 PM   #56
Eric Paddon
Squadron Leader

The Apollo=Adama scene you mention was in the so-called "telemovie" version of the episode. These played in syndication in the early and mid-80s. Each of the two part episodes feature additional scenes not part of the original airings, and all of those scenes used for those telemovie editions (except for one scene from Lost Planet Of The Gods) are part of the DVD supplements. The giveaway to their use in the telemovies is that they're the only outtakes with a final sound and music mix.
Old February 11th, 2005, 02:32 PM   #57
Centurion Draco
Equal rights for Cylons!

I definately rate this as one of my favourite episodes.
I love Starbucks magic hairstyles, the 'clone' effects that range from actors of diferent heights in dodgy beards, to clever fx shots of Brit x3.
Vulpa is superb, and should have been the start of a trend for more 'character' Cylons (not the ropelight head IL's either) but the background story of his exile wasn't included.
And you've gotta love the robot dog that cant be quiet when there's a Cylon patrol walking past a few feet away, but can remain quiet for long enough to stow away on the mission!
Yeah, its a retelling of guns of navarone, but at least it doesn't use stock footage of exploding steam trains in nazi caves, and try to pretend its on the Galactica

One of the highlights for me was seeing my childhood hero Roy Thinnes (The Invaders: David Vincent) Its just a shame he didn't become a regular cast member

Centurion Draco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 10th, 2005, 02:09 AM   #58
Lara
Squadron Leader

One of our cable channels is playing BSG early on a Sat morning. Am I spoiled or what, getting up and having breakfast on a weekend with this stuff!! There is something special about a broadcast ep (and I don't mean the adverts..) vs a DVD.

We watched GOIPZ last week and week before. Its amazing how well the show has stood up in look and in watchability. My impartial barometer is my husband. I watch the DVDs regularly, but he hasn't seen these eps in years, yet he sat and actually watched it, making the effort the second week to be out of the shower on time.

While there are still the plot holes and some hokey stuff, I'll admit they bugged me years back and I am over them now.. I understand why they are there, and that they wouldn't be there if it was filmed today.

I actually don't have a problem with the clones being variable: its more credible than them all looking and dressing exactly alike. I have a 'clone' for a husband (identicle twin) and while he looks and sounds like his brother more than fraternal sibs, they certainly have variation in their hairstyles and body type..

The muffit and Boxey stow away subplot is unfortunate, but there for 70's kiddie interest. I could have swallowed it if they had needed to take Muffit for its abilities in a hostile environ (daggit sled anyone??) thus causing Boxey to stow away with it. This would have made a nice echo of Starbuck stowing away (via the computer) to save Cree.

The action is good, with moments of tension and danger. Pity the gun crew can shoot a Viper down in part one, but miss the Galactica on their doorstep in part two.

Baltar was channelling just the right degree of revengefulness. It is clear that he has hardened his resolve. It has become personal, and his hatred is a logical outcome whether you believe him mad or influenced by evil.

I love Apollo's passion in his scenes with the Doctor. It is consistent from what we see in Saga, and sets him apart from the cookie cutter hero the character is usually accused of being..

Starbuck and the Britt clones at the end was a good humourous counter to the serious side of his concern for Cree. Likewise with Apollo, Starbuck is often assumed to be a straight stereotype and that just wasn't so.

Good and evil and the consequences of the choices we make may be an old theme, but it makes for a cracking story.

Cheers,
Lara
Lara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 10th, 2005, 06:13 AM   #59
justjackrandom
Bad Email Address

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lara
Pity the gun crew can shoot a Viper down in part one, but miss the Galactica on their doorstep in part two.
Its the difference between maximum range and maximum effective range. The vipers were close and within "range". The fleet wasn't in that range yet (that's what the countdown was to at the end). The Cylons were taking un-aimed harassing shots, since the limitation seemed to be with their targeting systems and not the actual range of the weapon.

-my 2p

-JJR
justjackrandom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 11th, 2005, 09:26 PM   #60
Lara
Squadron Leader

Quote:
Originally Posted by justjackrandom
Its the difference between maximum range and maximum effective range. The vipers were close and within "range". The fleet wasn't in that range yet (that's what the countdown was to at the end). The Cylons were taking un-aimed harassing shots, since the limitation seemed to be with their targeting systems and not the actual range of the weapon.

-my 2p

-JJR
True, point taken..

Cheers,
Lara
Lara is offline   Reply With Quote