Go Back   Colonial Fleets > BATTLESTAR GALACTICA DISCUSSION AREA > The Last Battlestar......Galactica!
Notices
The Last Battlestar......Galactica! For discussions about the ORIGINAL series
What Dreams May Come!

Old October 4th, 2017, 07:08 PM   #1
JLHurley
Warrior

Default BSG vs. BSG comic coming

Dynamite's next BG comic series is classic vs "reimagined." I sure appreciate Peter David's comments on the original.

http://www.cbr.com/bsg-vs-bsg-battle...entertainment/
Old October 4th, 2017, 07:12 PM   #2
JLHurley
Warrior

Default Re: BSG vs. BSG comic coming

Some additional news sources:

https://www.newsarama.com/36704-orig...018-event.html

https://io9.gizmodo.com/the-two-batt...-he-1819147084
Old October 5th, 2017, 03:33 AM   #3
ernie90125
Also Present

Thanks for posting these links.

Dynamite often issue multiple covers for each issue, so I wonder if they will actually make variation comics for this?

Where one tells the story from a osBSG angle, and another one from an nuBSG perspective?
ernie90125 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 17th, 2017, 05:36 PM   #4
Wildcard
Just Lost My Cherry!

Peter David's involvement gives me hope that this may just be a quality story.
Wildcard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 14th, 2017, 03:59 AM   #5
JLHurley
Warrior

The "first look": https://www.newsarama.com/37331-cylo...t-look.html#s1

Scheduled for release on January 10.
Old November 25th, 2017, 09:09 PM   #6
martok2112
Colonial Story Teller

Sounds interesting.

I liked the look of the original Cylon on the cover..... reminds me of how Marvel used to draw the Cylons when they had the rights to the original series.

Good Lord, I still remember when I used to have the giant sized issue of Saga of a Star World.
Old December 7th, 2017, 07:25 PM   #7
Westy
Warrior

UPDATE: This is from Adam 'Mojo' Lebowitz. There's a new cover. He used my ship :-)

AND NOW, SOME GOOD NEWS: MY COVER FOR THE BSG COMIC BOOK!
The publishers (Dynamite Comics) of the upcoming BSG vs BSG series gave the OK to share this with you - my cover for issue #3. This really is a dream come true for me; I religiously read the Marvel BSG comic as a kid (shout out to Walter Simonson), so being able to make a contribution to the new version is just as exciting as it was to be a part of the new TV series (huge thanks to writer Peter David, who put in a good word for me with the Dynamite team).
I really wanted to capture the essence of his story, which has the two crews (at least at first) butting heads. While coming up with a concept for the cover, I remembered the super-hero battles of the 70s, "X vs X," often with a cover depicting them face to face, fists in the air. When I saw those covers as a kid I HAD to have those special issues, so I decided to pay homage to them with BSG - both Battlestars ready to duke it out, like two prize fighters in the ring.
After working out a concept and doing a mock-up in Lightwave, the next decision was on the style of the image. Naturally, my first inclination was to create a beautiful, photo-real render using the models from the show, since that's what i'm known for.
But photos do NOT belong on comic book covers. Never ever. And I certainly didn't want it to look like CGI, so I started to experiment with high contrast lighting and black shadows. At one point I accidentally turned the light to 500% and it washed out every single shade of grey. Suddenly, it started to look like Sin City from Frank Miller.
And I loved it!
I already had a red fill light (cause when people fight you always have to use red lighting) and I cranked it up to pure, 255/0/0 red and that was the finishing touch. "A Dame to Kill For" as a Battlestar Galactica comic book cover.
Being able to pay homage to the comics of the 70s and my favorite comics artist as part of a BSG project is definitely a career high. It might even beat winning that Emmy Award.
Maybe.
All I know is i'm really proud of it. It dynamically captures the flavor of the story and, ironically, i'm super happy that it doesn't look like CGI. With any luck, some kid will see it at the comic shop, his eyes will get real wide and say "holy frak I have to have that!"
UPDATE: I was just asked to do covers for the rest of the series. Pinch me.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg BSGvsBSG_DynamiteCover.jpg (149.3 KB, 7 views)
Old December 7th, 2017, 10:20 PM   #8
martok2112
Colonial Story Teller

Congrats!
Old December 8th, 2017, 04:27 AM   #9
JLHurley
Warrior

Cool cover!!!
Old December 8th, 2017, 06:00 AM   #10
Westy
Warrior

I can't wait to read these comics! Trust me, it's going to be a really cool story line from what I'm told. Mojo turned my ship into a real work of art there, so equal congrats to him. Stay tuned though, there's more coming, and that's all I can say for now. Check out his IMDB entries sometime...he's worked on a LOT of my...our favorite shows. He's a member here from what he told me.
Old December 8th, 2017, 09:40 PM   #11
ernie90125
Also Present

I think this artwork is great. Plus a great story of innovation on your part to take your fandom of BSG forward to deliver an official item.

I love the look and head on style of the Galacticas - a word not often used in plural!

It’s also nice for someone - albeit one of our own - to update the forums on a BSG project.

Usually the members of this hub of BSG fandom have to chance upon news elsewhere and raise it here ourselves.

Last edited by ernie90125; December 8th, 2017 at 10:13 PM.
Old December 9th, 2017, 01:19 AM   #12
Westy
Warrior

I remember the days when this place and cylon.org were the go to places for anything to do with BSG and it's fandom. I miss all that.
Old December 10th, 2017, 02:29 AM   #13
ernie90125
Also Present

Now it just seems to be just Fleets ?
Old December 11th, 2017, 07:08 AM   #14
Westy
Warrior

yeah but traffic of late isn't what it used to be. I think Facebook has a lot to do with it...people go there and join pages thinking those are the end all and be all of whatever it is they're interested in.
Old December 12th, 2017, 06:00 AM   #15
JLHurley
Warrior

I rarely contribute much to discussions but frequent Colonial Fleets for new posts and am very grateful that it's still around.
Old December 12th, 2017, 01:03 PM   #16
martok2112
Colonial Story Teller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Westy View Post
yeah but traffic of late isn't what it used to be. I think Facebook has a lot to do with it...people go there and join pages thinking those are the end all and be all of whatever it is they're interested in.

I never liked "social media" in the form of what it is today. People are so stuck in their phones, even at social gatherings or heck, even music/entertainment venues.

I prefer the forums like this and Tombs of Kobol, or the Fantasy Flight Games Star Wars Off Topic Thread.

One former exec of Facebook has said that social media is actually a threat to society. He doesn't even let his kids use Facebook.