Go Back   Colonial Fleets > BATTLESTAR GALACTICA DISCUSSION AREA > The Last Battlestar......Galactica!
Notices
The Last Battlestar......Galactica! For discussions about the ORIGINAL series
What Dreams May Come!

Old March 15th, 2003, 03:08 PM   #1
Dawg
Great Wise Guru

COMMAND INSIGNIAAdmin
ColonialFleets.com
SPECIAL ACHIEVEMENT AWARDCo-Owner
TombsofKobol.com
Owner/Webmaster
DirkBenedictCentral.com
Colonial Fan ForceCo-Founder
Colonial Fan Force

Question BSG vs. BSG Debate

Greetings from a real newbie. I have never taken part in a forum like this before. In fact, I've found 'bboards' like this complicated and rather intimidating as I've encountered them in the past, even as recently as over the past couple of weeks as I purused the various BSG boards at SciFi.com, BattlestarGalactica.com, and here.

I decided to become a member here, rather than elsewhere, for a couple of important reasons. First of all, I like how this is laid out, it's not as confusing as some. Still, I'll probably limit myself to this particular board (maybe even this particular thread) since I'm not likely to log on every day and it will be a little less confusing that way.

The other reason is the environment. To put it most simply, I feel more comfortable here than I did reading, say, the SciFi.com BSG boards; I think I will get the reasoned and lively debate and discussion I'm looking for rather than a series of mean-spirited attacks I've seen elsewhere.

I was home sick for a few days towards the end of February, and I caught a number of episodes of SciFi's marathon of BSG episodes. I remembered fondly the first time I saw BSG as a teenager, and I decided to check out SciFi.com to get more information. I was surprised to learn about the new miniseries, and was even more surprised at how polorized and viscious some of the comments were.

Now, I have an opinion, too, and I really want to express it, but not in a forum that is just as likely to flame me as want to discuss the whys and wherefores and hows that I came to this opinion by.

This message is a little long, and I'm sorry for that, but there's my basic reason for being here.

I suspect just about everyone here is in favor of a continuation scenario for the new miniseries, and that information from the pre-production of the miniseries is that it's not going to be that way. Is that accurate?

I read various messages from Michael Faries, who, I understand, runs BattlestarGalactica.com. Is he also involved in the production of the miniseries? :confused:

Anyway, if someone would be so kind as to bring me up to speed, and if there are folks out there who would like to discuss this BSG v. BSG debate, I'd appreciate it.

Thanks!

I am
Dawg

My Places:

DirkBenedictCentral.com, Facebook: Dirk Benedict Central Twitter: @DBCdotCOM Dirk's appearances: Appearances

Tombs of Kobol
Dawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 15th, 2003, 03:48 PM   #2
jewels
Stablemaster, Livery Ship

FORUM STAFFFleet Modertor
Colonial Fleets

Michael just runs battlestargalactica.com and battlestarpegasus.com. He has a real job, family, & life geographically removed from Hollywood. He's made friends here & there that hear credible stuff and can occaisionally pass on good info. that's it, pretty much.
Jewels

PS: forgot to say "Welcome" had to run off an make dinner, etc.

Last edited by jewels; March 15th, 2003 at 05:18 PM..
jewels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 15th, 2003, 04:52 PM   #3
ojai22
Dancing Viper Queen

Veteran
Fleets Warrior

Welcome, Dawg.

****if there are folks out there who would like to discuss this BSG v. BSG debate, I'd appreciate it****

That debate was the cause of a lot of the dissention on the SciFi Board that you found troublesome. Yes, most of the fans here are for continuation, though some are open to a prequel. Sometimes the two sides discuss their points of view - you might enjoy those discussions.
ojai22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 15th, 2003, 06:31 PM   #4
BST
Snowball, My Angel Baby

COMMAND INSIGNIAAdmin
Colonial Fleets

Quote:
I decided to become a member here, rather than elsewhere, for a couple of important reasons.

Dawg,

Welcome, from another newcomer, to the (hopefully) S A N E Asylum!

The discussions, here, are both friendly AND passionate, in terms of having the opportunity to see BSG return in a way that DOES NOT destroy the original. Most folks that post here WANT to see a Continuation, including the original themes, premise, and as many of the original cast as possible. The "hoped-for" Continuation would be set, possibly 20-25 years/yahrens after the "Hand of God" episode.

While I am NOT elevating myself to the position of spokesman for this wonderful group here (they don't need me to speak for them, they are very eloquent in their own right), I feel confident in saying that a Continuation is the dream of many here!

Once again, Welcome!

BST

(formerly BattleStarTrekker) -- too many keystrokes, you know how we "old farts" have to worry about "arthur-itis".
BST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 15th, 2003, 08:12 PM   #5
LucianG
Warrior

Dawg,

Welcome to CF, the Galactica BBoard.

In response to you comments, my experience has been that most fans of the original would like to see a continuation with some of the original stars again portraying their original characters, plus some new characters, in a show that honors and is true to the original series, completely ignoring the non-events of Galactica 1980.

People who saw the original but didn't like it are much more likely to favor a re-imagining a la Ron Moore, basically an overwrite of the entire original series. Unfortunately, Mr. Moore poisoned the water with some statements that appear not exactly truthful, and his ego has made him basically spit in the faces of fans of the original who want it to continue.

Some of us are willing to accept a prequel written such that the history and themes of the original are maintained intact. In any event, since most people agree that there were episodes of the original series that were not as well written as they should have been, most of us are looking for a well-written, well-acted show.

Look forward to seeing you around.

Lucian

"Tilting at the SciFi windmill"
LucianG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 15th, 2003, 09:37 PM   #6
Dawg
Great Wise Guru

COMMAND INSIGNIAAdmin
ColonialFleets.com
TombsofKobol.com
Owner/Webmaster
DirkBenedictCentral.com
Colonial Fan Force

Default Thanks - and now for what I really think...

Thank you, everybody, for your welcome. I really appreciate it.

My view, simply put, is that the season of BSG we have (note, please, that I also ignore G80) was badly flawed. It was rushed into production to catch the Star Wars wave, and the rush showed in the writing, casting, performances, special effects, everything.

What I saw was an incredible promise left lacking in the execution, basically. I love the story, the basic premise is incredible. But no matter how much I enjoyed the show when I was a teenager, I am more sophisticated now and I expect more. And, in general, I think I am pretty average in that regard.

Personally, I would prefer to see a continuation. I would love to see some of the original cast (particularly the ones no longer with us - I'm very sad about those losses), but not in major roles, I think, this time. I mean, while an actor is only as good as his material (and, as I said, much of the writing left much to be desired), some of the talent was less than stellar.

I am thrilled there is a BSG revival. I'm fairly impressed they have a Hugo Award-winning writer at the helm. I am not real happy at some of the "reimagining" I'm hearing, though, and I flat don't like some of it (particularly changing the names to 20th Century Earth normal).

Myself, I would like to see a continuation - or even a re-telling - with cutting-edge effects, edgier writing, and realistic and compelling performances.

I'm not as turned on by the idea of a prequel.

But, I'm not the one making the decisions. The guy with the checkbook does that. "Tilting at the SciFi windmill," Lucien? I like that. It sums up my feelings, too.

Still, If what we get is a well-written, well-acted, well-presented BattleStar Galactica, "re-imagined" or not, aren't we all ahead of the game?

Sorry - another long message. I don't know why that has been eating at me for the last few weeks, but I really needed to say it.

I'm sure you guys will tell me if I'm too far off base.

I am
Dawg

My Places:

DirkBenedictCentral.com, Facebook: Dirk Benedict Central Twitter: @DBCdotCOM Dirk's appearances: Appearances

Tombs of Kobol

Last edited by Dawg; March 16th, 2003 at 08:03 AM..
Old March 16th, 2003, 04:36 AM   #7
Stevew
Fleet Modeling Machine!

Welcome Dawg
Thje main difference here is people have manners and can disagree in a civil manner
BTW are you related to OWD?
LOL
S
Stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 16th, 2003, 05:11 AM   #8
GalacticanCajun
Warrior

Welcome Dawg. I am new here as well. I too would love to see a continuation of the original series set 20 years into the future. Or, if not that, a remake that does not destroy the characters and basic premise of the original. If Moore had not made such drastic changes to the characters- i.e. Starbauck and Boomer now women?:confused: - I would proably be willing to give his script a chance. Well we'll see what happens.
GalacticanCajun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 16th, 2003, 06:12 AM   #9
Titon
Retired or am I?

Special Effects Artist
Battlestar Galactica 2003
COMMAND INSIGNIACoFounder
Colonial Fleets

Welcome Dawg,BST and also GalacticanCajun.

You've come aboard the Colonial Fleets during an exciting time. It's been an uphill battle for many many years to get to this point and believe me there are people that have listened to us. So keep the faith and stick around, post alot, and feel free to express your beliefs.

And again Welcome to Colonial Fleets.

Titon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 16th, 2003, 06:28 AM   #10
CylonLucifer

Default Welcome from another newbie

I, too, am new to this particular forum, although not to the bboard "scene", having been on many since the dial-up days (yes, I'm that old <grin>). I've found I prefer bboards that have better moderation because the 'flame wars' that seem to be rampant on others (like the SciFi boards) don't get started. This is also due to those posting because they're here for discussion not flaming.
I enjoy a spirited debate over plots, scripts, revisions to shows because it makes for interesting reading. Boards such as this provide that discussion without one having to worry that they'll be called every name from aardvark to zzyzx. <grin>
I am one that supports a continuation not a re-imagining. I've seen exerpts of the preliminary script and wasn't thrilled with the changes. I have fallen behind in following whatever changes have been proposed so I hope to be able to get "up to speed" here.
So here's to some interesting discussions...........
Old March 16th, 2003, 06:40 AM   #11
Stevew
Fleet Modeling Machine!

Welcome also CL
Lotsa new folks, great to see
Steve
Old March 16th, 2003, 08:17 AM   #12
Dawg
Great Wise Guru

COMMAND INSIGNIAAdmin
ColonialFleets.com
TombsofKobol.com
Owner/Webmaster
DirkBenedictCentral.com
Colonial Fan Force

SciFi hasn't approved it yet, Warrior??

That really surprises me, since they've announced it's coming and in a way I take as being pretty definite. Still...

You never know what network bigwigs will do.

No, Steve, I'm not related to OWG - at least, not that I know of! I've been using the "Dawg" handle for years, in a variety of places. I've been around since dial-up, too, CL - and longer. In fact, I remember how to use an IBM Selectric. But I've never gotten into bboards before.

I appreciate the warm welcomes, and look forward to continuing this discussion.

I am
Dawg

My Places:

Tombs of Kobol
Old March 16th, 2003, 08:20 AM   #13
Titon
Retired or am I?

Special Effects Artist
Battlestar Galactica 2003
COMMAND INSIGNIACoFounder
Colonial Fleets

Scifi approved it, Universal hasn't.

Without Universals approval there is no new BSG.

Titon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 16th, 2003, 08:49 AM   #14
Flamingo Girl
Squadron Leader

Veteran
Fleets Warrior

Sorry I'm so late to the party, but welcome Dawg.
Flamingo Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 16th, 2003, 08:58 AM   #15
Stevew
Fleet Modeling Machine!

Just kidding Dawg
S
Old March 16th, 2003, 10:00 AM   #16
ojai22
Dancing Viper Queen

Veteran
Fleets Warrior

Welcome to you as well, CylonLucifer. I think you'll like it here.
ojai22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 16th, 2003, 11:16 AM   #17
Dawg
Great Wise Guru

COMMAND INSIGNIAAdmin
ColonialFleets.com
TombsofKobol.com
Owner/Webmaster
DirkBenedictCentral.com
Colonial Fan Force

Oops.

Sorry about that, Warrior. Sometimes I'm a little dyslexic before lunch. Thanks for the correction.

But if Universal hasn't given the green light, wouldn't sending people to Vancouver be a little premature?

Of course, I'm probably showing my ignorance of such things. I'm a consumer of TV and movies, not a creator.

I am
Dawg

My Places:

Tombs of Kobol
Old March 16th, 2003, 11:27 AM   #18
Sci-Fi
Bad Email Address

Quote:
Originally posted by Dawg
Of course, I'm probably showing my ignorance of such things. I'm a consumer of TV and movies, not a creator.
Hi, Dawg. Welcome aboard.
Sci-Fi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 16th, 2003, 12:12 PM   #19
Ravishol
Bad Email Address

Welcome Dawg!

RGrant I LOVE your avitar.

I think Moore's biggest fault was his ego. He has this way of sticking his foot in his mouth to the point that he can't get it out.

That popcorn remark was a great way to rally everyone against him.

Even the neo's saw how bad it was.

I would imagine Hammer is not happy with him right now.

Sorry to get off track but YOur popcorn avitar made me laugh!
Ravishol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 17th, 2003, 04:38 AM   #20
CylonLucifer

Could it also be possible that the reason Universal hasn't given the "go ahead" is the Vivendi announcement that it's looking to sell its US entertainment divisions? (includes USA/SciFi channels). The SciFi Channel might be taking things into their own hands without considering this prospect. Viacom, MGM and G.E.'s NBC are all 'possible bidders' for this particular block of properties. Viacom, from the last I'd seen, was the most interested buyer because of their wanting to either buy SciFi or create their own science fiction channel.
I'm no good when it comes to corporate operations but I would think that when a property is sold, the new owners replace the existing management with their own team and then re-evaluate what is in progress with the property. I feel that SciFi is "jumping the gun" with its announcement of the 'new' Battlestar Galactica, considering the fact that the present PTB could be out on their ears (or other body parts) within the next 6 months.
Just an "evil" thought, there
Old March 17th, 2003, 09:19 AM   #21
Dawg
Great Wise Guru

COMMAND INSIGNIAAdmin
ColonialFleets.com
TombsofKobol.com
Owner/Webmaster
DirkBenedictCentral.com
Colonial Fan Force

CL, you might have something there

Although I certainly hope we see something come out of it that's worth watching.

I am
Dawg

My Places:

Tombs of Kobol
Old March 17th, 2003, 09:22 AM   #22
Micheleh
Watashiwa Shin no Noir

Veteran
Fleets Warrior
SPECIAL ACHIEVEMENT AWARDFormer Assistant
Richard Hatch

"I'm no good when it comes to corporate operations but I would think that when a property is sold, the new owners replace the existing management with their own team and then re-evaluate what is in progress with the property."

Hehe, I think I've said that three times already.....
Micheleh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 17th, 2003, 09:50 AM   #23
repcisg
Bad Email Address

Did anyone catch the 3 second promo during Childeren of Dune?

Battlstar Galactica
December 2003

repcisg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 17th, 2003, 10:00 AM   #24
the3rdhuman
Bad Email Address

Default It would be cool

If someone had it and set up a link to download
the3rdhuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 17th, 2003, 11:36 AM   #25
Micheleh
Watashiwa Shin no Noir

Veteran
Fleets Warrior
SPECIAL ACHIEVEMENT AWARDFormer Assistant
Richard Hatch

I know the original "Dune" was on, that must be it.
Micheleh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 17th, 2003, 11:46 AM   #26
Dawg
Great Wise Guru

COMMAND INSIGNIAAdmin
ColonialFleets.com
TombsofKobol.com
Owner/Webmaster
DirkBenedictCentral.com
Colonial Fan Force

Default Dune

They repeated Dune yesterday afternoon.

Children of Dune premiered last night with part 1. part 2 is tonight, part 3 is tomorrow.

They're repeating part 1 tonight right before they play part 2.

People magazine gave a rather ho-hum review. I don't trust People magazine.

I am
Dawg

My Places:

Tombs of Kobol
Old March 17th, 2003, 12:58 PM   #27
Artemis
Warrior

Quote:
Originally posted by Warrior
...hmmm Think I'll wait til it's on DVD like I did the original mini (also have the movie version)
But then you will miss the ads for BG. They have only shown a cylon and the title and I don't expect they will be showing anything more but it was still cool to see a new image of a cylon back on TV.
Old October 7th, 2004, 02:36 AM   #28
thomas7g
out there somewhere

COMMAND INSIGNIAFormer Admin (ret)
Colonial Fleets
BattlestarGalactica-Fleets.com
Owner
Ship Of Lights Forum

*bump* this is a blast from the past! DAWGs first post!!!

"There is a meaning for wings that can not fly!
Its a precious memory of when you once flew in the sky."
thomas7g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 7th, 2004, 08:14 AM   #29
Dawg
Great Wise Guru

COMMAND INSIGNIAAdmin
ColonialFleets.com
TombsofKobol.com
Owner/Webmaster
DirkBenedictCentral.com
Colonial Fan Force

My - how far we've come......

I am
Dawg

My Places:

Tombs of Kobol
Old October 7th, 2004, 02:31 PM   #30
thomas7g
out there somewhere

COMMAND INSIGNIAFormer Admin (ret)
Colonial Fleets
BattlestarGalactica-Fleets.com
Owner
Ship Of Lights Forum

I'm glad you came!

"There is a meaning for wings that can not fly!
Its a precious memory of when you once flew in the sky."
thomas7g is offline   Reply With Quote