Go Back   Colonial Fleets > BATTLESTAR GALACTICA DISCUSSION AREA > The Last Battlestar......Galactica!
Notices
The Last Battlestar......Galactica! For discussions about the ORIGINAL series
What Dreams May Come!

Old March 21st, 2003, 10:49 AM   #1
Hito
Warrior

Veteran
Fleets Warrior

LOL Children of Dune sex. Woah...

Just as recently as last night I've had a "challange" to my opinion on part of Moores script that I had argued for in the past.
I put on my tape of Children of Dune so I could watch it with moms last night, and even tho I knew from reading The Children of Dune and the Dune Messiah books that they were highly sexual elements in the stories, I really wasnt expecting just hom much of a show SciFi was about to give folks in this Mini...

Woah...

I was sittin there watchin with moms like I said and the first encounter takes place in the streets of Arakeen, and I was like "dayum!". But then later two of the main characters procede to start goin for it with gusto against a piller and later another two handle there buisness in the bedroom...
My mouth seriously fell open. (And not cuz I was droolin over the actress playin Alia... )
man oh man, even my Europeon cuts of The Highlander series were tamer than what i saw Last night.

Now at the risk of coming off as prudish myself, I'm thinkin if mebby at least thay coulda done somthing with thick gauzy curtans or glass bricks or rice paper, a little creative camera work...
I mean the characters vocalization told a WHOLE lot of the story, throw in A few creative teaser shots to titilate. A money shot of the characters faces to show the magic moment...

Now I'm an adult male and i've watched a dirty movie (or 2 )
And if CoD had been produced as a subscription channel cable show like OZ or Sex in the City it would have been all good. but geez it feel diffrent to me if it is on a station station like SF?
I still think that as written the sex scenes are fine and I still think if you can lat your kids watch killin you can let them see a little love makin too.
And i still dont think that the quality of somthing should be guaged on if u can let your kids watch it.
Make them read a book or sumthin instead, but dayum if Sci-Fi intends to present Moore's scenes like they did in the CoD mini then I am not sure I'd be as comfortable with it.

I knew that I could never again raise my voice against the violence of the oppressed in the ghettos without having first spoken clearly to the greatest purveyor of violence in the world today -- my own government....
~ Dr. Martin Luther King ~

I can hear God saying to America: “You are too arrogant! If you don't change your ways, I will rise up and break the backbone of your power!"
Hito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 21st, 2003, 11:08 AM   #2
Philloz

Default Re: Children of Dune sex. Woah...

Quote:
Originally posted by Hito
I was sittin there watchin with moms like I said and the first encounter takes place in the streets of Arakeen, and I was like "dayum!". But then later two of the main characters procede to start goin for it with gusto against a piller and later another two handle there buisness in the bedroom...
My mouth seriously fell open. (And not cuz I was droolin over the actress playin Alia... )
man oh man, even my Europeon cuts of The Highlander series were tamer than what i saw Last night.
I was a little surprised by how explicit the sex scenes were, but I didn't have a huge problem with it because it was pretty much in keeping with the books and the tone more "adult" than BSG, which was always a family show ... but I can only imagine what the eventual extended DVD cut will show (the original DUNE mini had some additional nudity on the DVD, but it was much less raunchy ... basically some tender lovemaking between Paul Maud'dib and Chani).

However, there was nothing as gratuitous and unecessary in CHILDREN OF DUNE as the Cylon handjob scene in RM's script.
Old March 21st, 2003, 11:34 AM   #3
Artemis
Warrior

Funny I didn't think anything of the sex scenes. Having read the books many times I expect it but I didn't think they were anymore explicit than things you see and shows like NYPD Blue or even Buffy.
Old March 21st, 2003, 11:41 AM   #4
jewels
Stablemaster, Livery Ship

FORUM STAFFFleet Modertor
Colonial Fleets

Whoa is right.
The cinematography could have been more creative with the sex scenes: suggestive as opposed to documentary, thank you. See the pilot/finale for Firefly if you need an example. And a lot of the cinematography was wonderful and inventive and dreamlike: why those few scenes lacked that creative "look"? and the audio, oh, please! Spare me. You are not the Playboy Channel....well one name involved in both Dune and the new BSG projects comes to mind. The person that canned Farscape.

It is stylistically how I thought the #6 scenes read in that RDM script, which is why I wanted nothing to do with it. Gag, sputter. Excuse me :upchuck:

My mom would have been flipping channels. And I have no qualms about saying I'm the resident CF Victorian. It's O.K. to be prudish sometimes. Modesty never hurt anyone.

Glad I was mostly watching for the costumes which were very well done. And the sequence with the girl vs. the flying disc blades was a cool bit of CGI. All the folks around here that do CGI could do a more convincingly lit and textured city though for the overfly shots, some corners cut there.

I'm just glad someone else thought those scenes were a bit much. Thanks Hito.
Jewels

"May have been the losing side. Still not convinced it was the wrong one." Malcolm Reynolds [/color]

"We don't dictate to countries, we liberate countries." Mitt Romney [/color]
jewels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 21st, 2003, 11:45 AM   #5
Hito
Warrior

Veteran
Fleets Warrior

Quote:
Originally posted by Artemis
Funny I didn't think anything of the sex scenes. Having read the books many times I expect it but I didn't think they were anymore explicit than things you see and shows like NYPD Blue or even Buffy.
Yeah thats why i was sayin it suprised me that i was thinking that way.
The books got straight nasty sometimes especially where the barron was involved.

And yeah buffy had some raunchy stuff with Spike especially with Spike & Buffy. and on angel with Wes and Lila
But I thind think there boofage was presented as graphicaly as in the Children of Dune (or was it?)
I remember the first time Buffy and Spike they got busy they nearly knocked down a house tho

Mebby i am still thinking through my experience of the original series.

I knew that I could never again raise my voice against the violence of the oppressed in the ghettos without having first spoken clearly to the greatest purveyor of violence in the world today -- my own government....

I can hear God saying to America: “You are too arrogant! If you don't change your ways, I will rise up and break the backbone of your power!"
Old March 21st, 2003, 11:53 AM   #6
Sci-Fi
Bad Email Address

I didn't watch either of the Dune series, so I can't really comment on how trashy or classy the sex scenes were. But at least the characters of Dune are humans, and humans are sexual creatures. The biggest problem I have with the Galactica sex is the horny Cylons. We're talking robots here. As soap-opera-ish as some of the human sex scenes in BG were, I can live with them. It's when you start seeing Cylons as lusty, killer sexbots that I start wondering about a person's writing talents.
Sci-Fi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 21st, 2003, 12:08 PM   #7
Hito
Warrior

Veteran
Fleets Warrior

Yeah 2 bit hacks like Issac Asamov or Phil K Dick shouldnt be able to get away with the drek that they have written involving human on automiaon sex.

Oh, but wait...
My bad...
They are both Hugo Award winning sci fi writers.
And if i am not mistaken...
So is Ron Moore...
Old March 21st, 2003, 12:22 PM   #8
Sci-Fi
Bad Email Address

Wow, my plan really backfired. Hito, I know you took offense at something I wrote some weeks or months ago. I'm not sure what it was, but it had to do with bending people to my will, which as far as I know, I've never done.

Today, I see this post, and see that we kind of agree on something, so I chime in thinking: Now he'll see we're more alike than he thinks. And whammo, your response is 110% sarcasm. And I didn't even complain about the human sex, like everyone else. I just complained about robot sex scenes.

Which Asimov and Dick books won Hugos for automoton sex, BTW? I like both authors.

Also, I wasn't complaining that robots can have sex. I was complaining more about the fact that they would WANT to have sex. Even more puzzling is why they would want to have sex with a human moments before killing him. It's more a storytelling complaint than a total hatred of all robot sex.

And please: let's disagree without the complete sarcasm. That was some pretty childish stuff.

Last edited by RGrant; March 21st, 2003 at 12:24 PM..
Old March 21st, 2003, 12:29 PM   #9
Artemis
Warrior

Quote:
Originally posted by RGrant

Also, I wasn't complaining that robots can have sex. I was complaining more about the fact that they would WANT to have sex. Even more puzzling is why they would want to have sex with a human moments before killing him. It's more a storytelling complaint than a total hatred of all robot sex.

And please: let's disagree without the complete sarcasm. That was some pretty childish stuff.
The way I read the script was that the cylons were using sex as a tool to control the human, ie. Baltar, since as you say humans are sexual creatures. Maybe I missed something but I never got the impression the cylons wanted/enjoyed having sex.

I also should warn you, I am very sarcastic and I am not trying to be here but I use it greatly in normal life so if you take offense to it I want you to know, at least from me, it is not meant to be offensive. Sarcasm can be a huge source for humor.
Old March 21st, 2003, 12:33 PM   #10
Sci-Fi
Bad Email Address

Artemis,

I'm very sarcastic too. Maybe too much. Sarcasm pretty much drips off of every post I write, but I don't usually use it for an outright attack like this:

"Yeah 2 bit hacks like Issac Asamov or Phil K Dick shouldnt be able to get away with the drek that they have written involving human on automiaon sex.

Oh, but wait...
My bad...
They are both Hugo Award winning sci fi writers.
And if i am not mistaken...
So is Ron Moore..."

Otherwise, I love sarcasm.
Old March 21st, 2003, 12:34 PM   #11
Philloz

Quote:
It's more a storytelling complaint than a total hatred of all robot sex.
The awkward thing about having bad robot sex is that afterward, you don't know whether to apologize or take them back to the shop.
Old March 21st, 2003, 12:36 PM   #12
Artemis
Warrior

And please don't take my comments as a defense of the script, they are not. I am mearly pointing out that I don't remember lusty sexbots. And the scene with the first one having sex before the station blew up could be a fact finding mission. Remember all memories were transfered at the point of distruction and to find out how easy it is to seduce a human would be helpful in their plans.
Artemis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 21st, 2003, 12:36 PM   #13
Sci-Fi
Bad Email Address

Philloz,

I usually just leave a few wingnuts on the dresser, and then take her somplace nice, like Jiffy Lube. BTW: Love the Bender/Cylon avatar. I actually thought of doing something like that before, but never got around to it.

Last edited by RGrant; March 21st, 2003 at 12:49 PM..
Old March 21st, 2003, 12:41 PM   #14
Sci-Fi
Bad Email Address

Wink

Quote:
Originally posted by Artemis
And the scene with the first one having sex before the station blew up could be a fact finding mission.

Artemis, I'm not being sarcastic here. Really. But I LOVE that quote of yours. Cylon hands down the front of a man's pants referred to as a fact finding mission.

Actually, that was the scene I was referring to with the unfathomable (in a plot sense) sex. Your explanation might actually make sense, if it was referred to later on in the script. You've probably given it more thought than the writer. Or more likely, more thought than Bonnie, who I would bet is behind that scene.
Old March 21st, 2003, 01:38 PM   #15
Artemis
Warrior

Quote:

Artemis, I'm not being sarcastic here. Really. But I LOVE that quote of yours. Cylon hands down the front of a man's pants referred to as a fact finding mission.
Now that you mention it, it does sound pretty funny. :laugh:
I'm sure my husband would appreciate some fact finding on my part.
Old March 21st, 2003, 01:48 PM   #16
Philloz

Bender's view on human-robot relations:

"Hey! Don't look at me like that! If you're thinking about crossing a line with Bender you can forget it! Bender don't bend that way!"
Old March 21st, 2003, 02:00 PM   #17
Artemis
Warrior

I seem to remember Bender being a bit lusty at times.
Artemis is offline   Reply With Quote