Go Back   Colonial Fleets > BATTLESTAR GALACTICA DISCUSSION AREA > The Last Battlestar......Galactica!
Notices
The Last Battlestar......Galactica! For discussions about the ORIGINAL series
What Dreams May Come!

Old December 22nd, 2003, 05:56 PM   #1
admiralmcknight
Shuttle Pilot

Default Who can play Commander Cain?

I've been thinking ever since the airing of the new BSG series... I know they're thinking of bringing in Pegasus (I'd like to see how they do it!). Question is this: who would play Cain? I've got the perfect answer....................

MICHAEL IRONSIDE

I've been watching his movies lately (Total Recall, Starship Troopers, seaQuest 2032) and I've come to the conclusion that he could be the best compliment to Olmos' Adama. That's assuming that we're wanting a older, battle-hardened commander (which is what Cain is). To play the deck chief would be..........................

R. Lee Ermey

He'd play a great deck cheif (as he has not played any officers that I know of).

Know of anyone else that can fill out the new Pegasus' crew?
Old December 22nd, 2003, 08:18 PM   #2
BenRoethig
Just Lost My Cherry!

Gary Cole. He played Captain Matthew Gideon on the short lived B5 spinoff Crusade. Tony Todd and Terry O'Quinn would also be on my short list.
BenRoethig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 23rd, 2003, 12:57 AM   #3
Kester Pelagius
Bad Email Address

Cain. Have to be someone older. Solid presence.

Strange as it seems, after some thought, I come up with two possibles: Christian Lambert or Danny Glover (or Mel Gibson if you're a purist).

Though, upon refelction, Sean Bean might be a better choice over Lambert.
Kester Pelagius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 23rd, 2003, 01:35 AM   #4
sharpe26
Shuttle Pilot

I'd rather see R lee Ermey play Croft in gun on ice planet Zero.Somehow I think he'd fit right in.
sharpe26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 23rd, 2003, 02:35 PM   #5
cobrastrikelead
Bad Email Address

Default Sean Connery?

Or might he be a little too expensive?
cobrastrikelead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 23rd, 2003, 02:49 PM   #6
admiralmcknight
Shuttle Pilot

While I think Mike Ironside would be a great Commander Cain, I think his XO could be someone like Tommy Lee Jones. Great actors and I think they could play very well off each other.

Still think Earmy could play the top enlisted officer. He'd kick...!

Old December 23rd, 2003, 09:28 PM   #7
dec5
Warrior

Default Yup...

Ironside would be a good Cain.....And Grace Park's fellow alum from Edgemont, Kristin Kreuk could play Sheba.....hee..hee.

Although she could play a great Athena too.
dec5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 24th, 2003, 10:12 AM   #8
Sci-Fi
Bad Email Address

I would like to see Charlton Heston as Cain. If written correctly, he would have a presence that would rival Olmos and bring the same flair to the part like Lloyd Bridges did.
Sci-Fi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 24th, 2003, 11:24 AM   #9
Dogface

Oddly enough, I think Avery Brooks could pull it off.
Old December 26th, 2003, 09:06 PM   #10
admiralmcknight
Shuttle Pilot

Pegasus crew

My choice crew for the Colonial Battlestar Pegasus :

Commander: Michael Ironside (Cain)
Exec: Tommy Lee Jones
OOD: Caspar Van Diem (The guy who played Rico in Starship Troopers)
Weapons Officer: ????????
CAG: Louis Gossett, Jr.
Deck Chief: R. Lee Ermey

Am I forgetting any positions? Any ideas, improvements, or changes are welcome!

Old December 27th, 2003, 11:07 AM   #11
Antelope

Default Commander Cain

I am going to second the thought that Sean Connery or Mel Gibson would make a great Commander Cain. I don't think either would do it however unless they were Battlestar fans already. Both would be very expensive and both may be "too good" for television.

For Sean Connery I think his performances in The Longest Day and A Bridge Too Far would be perfectly capped by a performance as Commander Cain.

Mel Gibson may be a bit too young for the role but his performance was great in Braveheart, The Patriot, and We Were Soldiers. All these roles show he is ready and would make a great Commander Cain.

I will say this for the purist: Noone will ever make a better Commander Cain than Lloyd Bridges. After watching the original Pegasus episodes I wished Lloyd Bridges had gotten the role of Patton instead of Gearge C. Scott.

Since Moore is a fan of naval history I could see a Pegasus movie that is a remake of the movie "Midway". If they wrote the script as a crushing defeat to the cylons why not listen to Cain and take back the colonies instead of heading to Earth?
Old December 27th, 2003, 11:10 AM   #12
cobrastrikelead
Bad Email Address

Default Mr. Ironside Would do a good job too

nt.
cobrastrikelead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 27th, 2003, 09:06 PM   #13
baafan
Shuttle Pilot

AdmiralMcKnight's suggestion of Michael Ironside is a good one. I ilke Michael Ironside. But I don't think he invokes the same feeling/respect that Lloyd Bridges brought to the role. What I mean is that I see MIchael Ironside being able to play a very tough and mean commander. One you obey because it's your duty to.

However, based on the way Lloyd Bridges played the role, his crew and the other warriors obeyed him because they wanted to. They trusted him. They loved him. I just don't see Michael Ironside in a role where he is loved. He's always played tough guy roles where he's respected, but I've never "loved" his characters.

Conversely, while Sean Connery or Charlton Heston would also be good picks, I see them more in the role of an Adama than a Cain.

Now, you all may think I'm crazy, but I tihnk either John Travolta or Sylvester Stallone would make a great Cain. They have both played tough guy roles, but roles/characters you could love. They both also have sci-fi experience (although maybe we shoudn't count BattleField Earth ). They're both older actors so that they could play experienced commanders and they're both recognizable name actors that I really believe could bring creditability to the role. Besides, could you imagine the interest and ratings boost they could bring to BSG?

baafan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 30th, 2003, 01:55 PM   #14
Antelope

Default Richard Hatch

The Rain suggested Richard Hatch play Commander Cain on another thread. I thought that would be a great pick if he was willing. Even a cameo by Richard Hatch would be a ratings bonanza. Although he is not as old as Lloyd Bridges was at the time, he is old enough to now be a believable capital ship commander. Who knows Battlestar better than him? If the Pegasus didn't just disappear after two episodes Hatch could had a role in the new Battlestar development. Even if it only lasted for 2 to 4 hours his prescence would go a long way in healing the Battlestar community.

Good Actor + Battlestar Icon + Battlestar Pegasus = Huge ratings + $$$$$$$$$$ = More shows!

Moore, How about giving Richard Hatch a call?
Old December 30th, 2003, 02:38 PM   #15
sharpe26
Shuttle Pilot

I'd go for Travolta over Stallone.
Old December 30th, 2003, 05:48 PM   #16
BSG_Sci_FiPulse
Warrior

COMMAND INSIGNIAOwner/Webmaster
SciFiPulse.net

How about Jeff or Beau Bridges as a sort of backdoor homage to the original. I personally think Jeff Bridges would be the best pick of the two though.

Yes I know it is a shameless plug but I am the one that has to live with it.
BSG_Sci_FiPulse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 31st, 2003, 02:03 PM   #17
Antelope

Default Dirk Benedict

I saw another thread that mentioned bringing Dirk Benedict back as Cain. Just like a potential Richard Hatch Cain I think this would be a money and ratings bonanza. In addition I don't think from what I read that Dirk Benedict would have as many issues with SCIFI, Moore and crew as Richard Hatch would. He once did a movie for SCIFI years ago and didn't seem to have any issues with "the lowdown". I haven't seen him work in a long time. I don't know what his present career or finances are like but I have a feeling they wouldn't be hurt with a role on the new Battlestar if it happens.

I hate to let the former Commander Cain hear these words but: "His boys are no Commander Cain." If they wanted either of the Bridges boys for a cameo paying homage I think maybe one of them would have made a fine "Jolly" but unless Jolly rises from the dead I think they missed their chance.
Old December 31st, 2003, 08:15 PM   #18
CmdrCain

Default Finding a New Cain

This is my first post here, so "hello" to all. I've been a Galactica fan since the original series aired and have been anxiously awaiting a revival over the years. I would have rather seen the old cast reunited of course, so I'm trying my best to view SciFi's series as a totally separate universe.

Which isn't hard to do given the changes they've made...

Anyway, in reference to Michael Ironside, he's a great tough guy. I particularly enjoyed him as Ham "the Fixer" Tyler in V. Personally though, I see him more as being more successful in quiet or psychotic tough guy roles, not charasmatic leadership roles. For instance, I could easily see him replacing Lance LeGault's character as chief of the Nomen.

My own personal favorite Lloyd Bridges successor (as I don't think he could ever be replaced) would be Robert Duvall, although getting him for a TV role might be difficult. Duvall has something of that same twinkle in the eye that Bridges had, and he's capable of acting irreverently while still commanding respect. He's also about the right age and would play well off of the new Adama.
Old January 2nd, 2004, 05:28 AM   #19
goldcenturian
Shuttle Pilot

Default Commander Cain?

Doesn't Glen Larson own the rights to Cain and the Pegasus? Isn't that why he was more interested in doing THAT as a movie before the mini came out? I doubt that Uni would want to PAY for the use of Cain or the Peggy.
Carolyn
goldcenturian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 2nd, 2004, 06:03 AM   #20
baafan
Shuttle Pilot

CmdrCain said:
Quote:
... My own personal favorite Lloyd Bridges successor (as I don't think he could ever be replaced) would be Robert Duvall...
Didn't even think of Duvall, but I agree, he would also be a good choice as Cain.

goldcenturian said:
Quote:
Doesn't Glen Larson own the rights to Cain and the Pegasus?...
Good question, don't know. But why / how would Glen Larson end up with the rights to Cain and the Pegasus and not also have the rights to BSG? While a Cain / Pegasus spinoff or movie would be very interesting, wouldn't that be sort of like George Lucas selling the rights to Star Wars, but retaining rights to the Millenium Falcon and Hans Solo?
baafan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 2nd, 2004, 06:09 AM   #21
jeditemple
Bad Email Address

Given the politically correct tendencies of Sci-Fi, I figure Commander Cain will be played by a black actress (given the lack of strong black characters in the miniseries). So, let's welcome our new Commander Cain, played by Halle Berry...

*** This is intended to be sarcastic ***

jeditemple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 2nd, 2004, 06:46 AM   #22
koenigrules
Warrior

Default Avery Brooks or Ironside

I think Brooks or Ironside (remember V) would be ideal.
Critics are remarking how the new Galactica is too Caucasian, so bringing Brooks on board would be great. There would be a strong African American presence on the show, even if its a guest star.
koenigrules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 2nd, 2004, 07:29 AM   #23
thomas7g
out there somewhere

COMMAND INSIGNIAFormer Admin (ret)
Colonial Fleets
BattlestarGalactica-Fleets.com
Owner
Ship Of Lights Forum

Ironsides was great in V! But so was Singer. Both would make interesting Cains.

"There is a meaning for wings that can not fly!
Its a precious memory of when you once flew in the sky."
thomas7g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 2nd, 2004, 09:28 AM   #24
jeditemple
Bad Email Address

It needs to be someone gritty...a tough as nails character (or someone who could pull that off). It'd be great to see Jack Palance come in, but he's a bit old, like Charleton Heston.

Here's some ideas...

Rod Taylor
Patrick Bergin
Rutger Hauer
Gene Hackman
Adrian Paul
Lance Henriksen
Kenneth Branagh
Malcolm McDowell
Ron Pearlman
James Brolin
Donald Sutherland
Gary Oldman
Harvey Keitel
Clint Eastwood
Michael Cain
Ving Rhames
Don Johnson
Michael Biehn
Robert Duvall
Robert Conrad
Steve Granitz
Martin Sheen
Tom Selleck
Kurt Russell
Michael Madsen
Jason Statham
Scott Glenn
Wes Studi
Gabriel Byrne
David Carradine
jeditemple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 2nd, 2004, 09:38 AM   #25
Darth Marley
GINO Public Defender

Someone help me out on this.

I am of the pro RDM mini as a series faction.

We fans of TOS that are not shocked and offended by this offering are carrying over a desire to see some kind of continuity in this retelling.

It seems though,that RDM may well know less about TOS storyline than we do.Aren't there some quotes from him to that effect?And yet we have the prisoners mentioned at the end of the mini.

Perhaps some of you posters with email traffic to the creative team could ask if there are going to be any such parallels at all.Just to test the waters a bit.
Old January 2nd, 2004, 09:28 PM   #26
admiralmcknight
Shuttle Pilot

Quote:
Originally posted by jeditemple
It needs to be someone gritty...a tough as nails character (or someone who could pull that off). It'd be great to see Jack Palance come in, but he's a bit old, like Charleton Heston.

Here's some ideas...

Rod Taylor
Patrick Bergin
Rutger Hauer
Gene Hackman
Adrian Paul
Lance Henriksen
Kenneth Branagh
Malcolm McDowell
Ron Pearlman
James Brolin
Donald Sutherland
Gary Oldman
Harvey Keitel
Clint Eastwood
Michael Cain
Ving Rhames
Don Johnson
Michael Biehn
Robert Duvall
Robert Conrad
Steve Granitz
Martin Sheen
Tom Selleck
Kurt Russell
Michael Madsen
Jason Statham
Scott Glenn
Wes Studi
Gabriel Byrne
David Carradine
Some really good choices here... though I don't know a few of them. Still have to go with Ironside though. Any of these could play the XO though...

Old January 2nd, 2004, 11:51 PM   #27
Raymar3d
Demonslayer
Vulcan Torturer

SPECIAL ACHIEVEMENT AWARDDigital Artist
BG: The Second Coming
Special Effects Artist
Battlestar Galactica 2003

Default Hands down....

Richard Hatch as Commander Cain
Dirk Benedict as his first officer, long-lost father of Kara Thrace.

And there you have a chance to heal old wounds....
Raymar3d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 3rd, 2004, 05:26 AM   #28
sharpe26
Shuttle Pilot

Strange idea, but what about Denzel Washington?
Old January 3rd, 2004, 06:16 PM   #29
admiralmcknight
Shuttle Pilot

Question A question here

After thinking about it for a while........ how in the world would the Pegasus have escaped the destruction of the fleet? That could be the focus of the second mini (if there is one). I'd be interested in having Mr. Ironside explain it and why he'll want to attack!

Old January 4th, 2004, 11:47 AM   #30
Soulmage
Shuttle Pilot

Quote:
Originally posted by jeditemple
Isn't Jack Palance dead? He was tough, but I don't think he's so tough that he's still accepting roles.

Just imagine what the inside of his trailer would look (and smell) like!
Soulmage is offline   Reply With Quote