ONLY please.

Old May 2nd, 2005, 04:53 PM   #1
BST
Snowball, My Angel Baby

COMMAND INSIGNIAAdmin
Colonial Fleets

Default Message to the Fleets Family

Greetings, Fleets Family!

Yes, whether we realize it or not, we ARE a family and that didn’t happen by accident. It was through the combined efforts of this forum’s membership that we became that way. We enjoy talking with our friends when our visits happen to coincide; we help our friends, to the best of our ability and/or available resources, when the call for help goes out; we care about our friends’ well-being and leap for joy when they have good news to share; we also rush to their side when the news is not so good, i.e., when they need us the most. Many of us can attest to this, on a first-hand basis – think of how many times that you have made the remark, “You (or your family, friends) will be in my thoughts and/or prayers.” or “Congratulations”, “Best Wishes”, or “What can I do to help?”

There is a downside though, just as with many families, we also have our quarrels. It’s inevitable since folks will NEVER see eye-to-eye on everything, no matter if it’s your real-life family or your online friends. The questions that need to be asked are –
  • How far will the quarrel go?
  • Is the issue so divisive that some common ground cannot be found?
  • Is the issue so important that one has to drive another “into the ground”, just to make a point?
  • Is our personal well-being paramount to that of others? In other words, is it more important for one to “feel good”, at the expense of others?

The Fleets family has seen the best that this place has to offer. We’ve also seen the worst. It’s been quite a roller coaster ride with ups and downs along the way. But, that’s life. Real life doesn’t give us advance warning. It just happens. How we deal with real-life is primarily dependent on our combined emotional and intellectual make-up as well as our circle of friends and family. It’s no different here, as this forum has developed through the course of time, into a microcosm of everyday life. We don’t expect that every person in the “real world” will agree with us, on every issue so, why would we expect that here? Why should our dealings within these forums be any different than those encountered in real-life?

Our “dealings” within these forum walls should be no different, as we employ the same traits as those used in real-life, with those traits being honesty, integrity, and mutual respect. They are not a “stretch” for anyone in this family. We, all, are capable of projecting them and should take care to ensure that we DO project them.

Those traits, however, should not stand in the way of us expressing ourselves. Differing opinions are what make a real-life conversation and one within a forum environment an opportunity for learning. We don't learn much if each of us has exactly the same opinion about everything, do we?

Many of us joined this forum because we wanted to learn AND because we wanted to share. The folks on this forum are some of the most “giving” folks that I have encountered which, is a very meaningful benefit that I never expected. All that I originally wanted was to share my love for Battlestar Galactica with the rest of the folks, here.

The “giving” nature of the folks, here, is an example of one of the “ups” that this forum provides. There are also the “downs” which usually make their presence known when discussions take place regarding “volatile” subjects, which will be left to the imagination since, we all know what subjects those are. However, just because a volatile subject is being discussed, it doesn’t mean that there has to be all-out warfare. If a disagreement occurs, talk it out. Honestly, share WHY you feel a certain way about a particular issue and LISTEN to the other person as they share their feelings. That’s where education begins.

As long as the issue being debated is the CENTER of the discussion, there should be no hard feelings. When the debate strays from the issue and toward the debate participant, that’s where the trouble begins. That is also where a Moderator will step in. They are not here to take sides. The Moderators are here to ensure that EACH person is treated with respect. Please don’t take a Moderator’s intervention, personally but, please use that occasion to reflect on your own remarks, to ensure that they didn’t cross the line of disrespectful behavior toward another member of the Fleets family. No disagreement is equal to the cost of losing a friendship.

Each and every member of the Fleets family is valued whether they are artists or authors, singers or songwriters, actors or members of the audience, or just folks who want to pop-in, to say “Hi” to their friends. They’re valued for who they are and for what they have to share.

Don’t pass up the opportunity to tell someone, in real life or within these forum walls, that they are special to you and that you value their presence, in your life. Life is too precious and too short, to take anything or anyone for granted.

With loads of love, admiration, and deep respect for every soul who graces this Forum,

BST

You have come to journey's end
Sleep now
And dream of the ones who came before
They are calling
From across the distant shore .

Children are a message that we send
to a time that we will never see.
BST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 2nd, 2005, 11:27 PM   #2
Haveke

Battlestar Galactica 1978 My Fellow Warriors

Just Wanted to Let Everyone Here at the Fleets KNOW... I Came Through My Little Heart Procedure VERY Well!!

Although they Did BLOW OUT 5 of My Veins Just Trying to Draw Blood & Incert an IV... (OUCH!)

Other Than That, I'm Back!!

Doctors Have Me on VERY Light Duty For the Next 10 Days... Typical Stuff... NO Lifting Anything More Than 10 Pounds, No Excessive Bending Or Squatting... Got to Be Cafeful and Try Not to Do a Lot of Walking Around For the Next 2 Days...

I Go Back to See My Cardologist on the 13th, Guess We Will Go Over the Procedure ETC...

Wanted to Again Thank One & All For Your Prayers & Well Wishes!!

And BTW... Yes, We Are All a Family Of Sorts!!

Actually I Think Conflict Tends to Bring Out the Best in Most People... Well, Lets Not Get Into Name Calling ETC...

Go Ahead & Start the Pyramid Game without Me... I Should Be Able to Make My Way to The Officer's Club in a Few Microns...

Also... I Aced My Class on Resisting Torture... Those 'Ole Cyons (Nurses) NEVER Got Any Secrets Out of Me!!

Take Care Of Yourself & One Another!!

Oh, and One Last Thing Here: The Pain isn't all that bad... Though I Am Reminded of the Time Cassie Had to Seal Up Bojay's Atery... So, I'm TRYING to Keep the Pressure Off Of it...
Old May 3rd, 2005, 01:37 AM   #3
Lara
Squadron Leader

Top news, Haveke, I hope the follow on is all good, too.

BST,,
True words, well said.
Humans are social animals, even in cyberspace. Friendship, dominance, dependance all play out in the exchange of data . We have dynasties and we have wars, leaders, followers and troublemakers just like in the 'real' world

After watching the Hitchiker' s Guide to the Galaxy movie on the weekend it crossed my mind that a POV gun would be a first rate tool for all moderators of flammable boards

Cheers,
Lara
Old May 3rd, 2005, 03:00 AM   #4
amberstar
Strike Leader

Well said BST
Old May 3rd, 2005, 03:20 AM   #5
bsg1fan1975
Major

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by amberstar
Well said BST

ditto from me!

Cheese: [has tinfoil on his teeth] I have braces!
Mac: You found that on the ground, didn't you?
Cheese: Garbage can.
-episode "Mac Daddy"Foster's Home for Imaginary Friends"
bsg1fan1975 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 3rd, 2005, 06:52 AM   #6
julix
Bad Email Address

Pete.....
I think you said it well

Haveke.......Glad you are doing well
julix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 3rd, 2005, 08:23 AM   #7
jewels
Stablemaster, Livery Ship

FORUM STAFFFleet Modertor
Colonial Fleets

Haveke, Glad you are doing well. Oh, 10 lbs isn't much, someone once told me a full gallon of milk is 13 lbs or so so please be careful, it's surprising how little something that is 10 lbs can be!

Jewels

"May have been the losing side. Still not convinced it was the wrong one." Malcolm Reynolds [/color]

"We don't dictate to countries, we liberate countries." Mitt Romney [/color]
jewels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 5th, 2005, 03:16 PM   #8
Titon
Retired or am I?

Special Effects Artist
Battlestar Galactica 2003
COMMAND INSIGNIACoFounder
Colonial Fleets

Well said Pete.

Old May 5th, 2005, 03:29 PM   #9
justjackrandom
Bad Email Address

Thumbs up

Well said indeed, BST!

Haveke! - Fantastic news, man!
justjackrandom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 7th, 2005, 09:42 AM   #10
Kronus
CDR Kronus' Grandson

Agreed BST! Agreed!
Kronus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 7th, 2005, 11:17 AM   #11
gmd3d
Major

Very well said BST..

Good the hear your feeling better Haveke and you health is improved

"The world is my country, science my religion.”
gmd3d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 8th, 2005, 06:41 AM   #12
Haveke

Battlestar Galactica 1978

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taranis
Very well said BST..

Good the hear your feeling better Haveke and you health is improved
Many Thanks!!

Yeah, I'm on Day 6 Of Post Procedure Healing. I've Been Trying to Get in a Little Walking Each Day... Having to Rehab Can Sometimes Be the Hardest Part Though: I Was Feeling So Much Better the Other Day, I Kinda Forgot I Wasn't Susposed to Lift Anything Over 10 Pounds... Almost Strained a Groin Muscle, But Dropped the Box Before Hurting Myself Any Further.

But, Thats the ONLY Little Set Back I've Had. I've Been Able to get in a Little Leg Stretches Before Starting Walking Great Distances: Just the Other Day, Walking Down the Sidewalk to the End of the Curb Seemed Like a Mile, But The Greatest Journey Begins With But a Single Step, and I'm Truely Thankful for All the Support of Everyone...

I've already Been Returned to Active Flight Status.

Now, Please Don't Expect Me to Be Out Playing Football Or Any Contact Sport : I'm Getting Too OLD For that Kinda Thing...

Hey, This Kid Don't Sign On For No Oneway Missions
Old May 8th, 2005, 06:59 AM   #13
Haveke

Battlestar Galactica 1978

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lara
Top news, Haveke, I hope the follow on is all good, too.

BST,,
True words, well said.
Humans are social animals, even in cyberspace. Friendship, dominance, dependance all play out in the exchange of data . We have dynasties and we have wars, leaders, followers and troublemakers just like in the 'real' world

After watching the Hitchiker' s Guide to the Galaxy movie on the weekend it crossed my mind that a POV gun would be a first rate tool for all moderators of flammable boards

Cheers,
Lara

Thank You Lara.

Well, Back When I Was Younger, and Playing RPG Games (This Was Before The Internet Folks) We Had a Game Master Who Would Use the "Magic Chicken"... it Would Pop Out and Destroy All the Player/Characters Who Were Bickering & Not Paying Much Attention to the Info the GM was Trying to Pass Onto Us...

I've Been a Part of Forums Where Some Users Had to Be Censored... Or Maybe You Could Even Go as Far as Saying Actually Suspended From the Board For their Flame Wars.

No Doubt.

I Can Honestly State This: I Have NEVER Had Such a Thing Happen to Me... (Knock On Wood) I Always Read & Try Best to Follow The Rules Of Engagement Concerning Those Type Areas.

Well, Gotta Go Eat Breakfast... Oh, Also Wanted to Say Happy Mother's Day to All Those Ladies Who May Happen to Be Mommies Out There!!

Old May 8th, 2005, 09:36 AM   #14
Kronus
CDR Kronus' Grandson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haveke
Well, Back When I Was Younger, and Playing RPG Games (This Was Before The Internet Folks) We Had a Game Master Who Would Use the "Magic Chicken"... it Would Pop Out and Destroy All the Player/Characters Who Were Bickering & Not Paying Much Attention to the Info the GM was Trying to Pass Onto Us...

I've Been a Part of Forums Where Some Users Had to Be Censored... Or Maybe You Could Even Go as Far as Saying Actually Suspended From the Board For their Flame Wars.

I Can Honestly State This: I Have NEVER Had Such a Thing Happen to Me... (Knock On Wood) I Always Read & Try Best to Follow The Rules Of Engagement Concerning Those Type Areas.
I too have had seen many come and go due this very thing. There is no honor to those who do battle as they have. Know your limitations and execute your battle tactic well. Truely your words will carry much weight when presented properly and within the correct format.
Kronus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 8th, 2005, 03:15 PM   #15
gmd3d
Major

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haveke
Many Thanks!!

Yeah, I'm on Day 6 Of Post Procedure Healing. I've Been Trying to Get in a Little Walking Each Day... Having to Rehab Can Sometimes Be the Hardest Part Though: I Was Feeling So Much Better the Other Day, I Kinda Forgot I Wasn't Susposed to Lift Anything Over 10 Pounds... Almost Strained a Groin Muscle, But Dropped the Box Before Hurting Myself Any Further.

But, Thats the ONLY Little Set Back I've Had. I've Been Able to get in a Little Leg Stretches Before Starting Walking Great Distances: Just the Other Day, Walking Down the Sidewalk to the End of the Curb Seemed Like a Mile, But The Greatest Journey Begins With But a Single Step, and I'm Truely Thankful for All the Support of Everyone...

I've already Been Returned to Active Flight Status.

Now, Please Don't Expect Me to Be Out Playing Football Or Any Contact Sport : I'm Getting Too OLD For that Kinda Thing...

good to hear Haveke good warriors are hard to find

"The world is my country, science my religion.”
gmd3d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 10th, 2005, 12:06 AM   #16
Tanky
True Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by klingongeneral
I too have had seen many come and go due this very thing. There is no honor to those who do battle as they have. Know your limitations and execute your battle tactic well. Truely your words will carry much weight when presented properly and within the correct format.
Spoken like a true Klingon. You will go far in the Empire
They look and sound rational.
Some are programmed to think they are right.
There are many versions.
And they have a plan.

"So this is how liberty dies. With thunderous applause" - Padme Amidala, Revenge of the Sith

"Lord, please save me from your followers"
Tanky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 13th, 2006, 10:56 AM   #17
spcglider
Squadron Leader

Other than artistic expression, any real point to this thread?

-Gordon
Old January 17th, 2006, 04:29 PM   #18
Lara
Squadron Leader

Quote:
Originally Posted by spcglider
Other than artistic expression, any real point to this thread?

-Gordon
Not so much artistic expression, but an expression of community. Ocassionally any group needs to affirm its core values to make sure we all understand them.

When you come across threads like this, remember to check the post dates on them. This one relates to stuff happening in May 05.
If the postdates predate you, remember you may need to do some research before finding the context of the posts..

Cheers,
Lara