Go Back   Colonial Fleets > BATTLESTAR GALACTICA DISCUSSION AREA > The Last Battlestar......Galactica!
Notices
The Last Battlestar......Galactica! For discussions about the ORIGINAL series
What Dreams May Come!

Old July 10th, 2003, 08:55 AM   #1
jjrakman

Default "Kill me now." - Bonnie Hammer

`Battlestar Galactica' will get relaunch
Actor Edward James Olmos says Sci Fi Channel's series may rile fans of old program
By R.D. Heldenfels

Edward James Olmos has some advice for fans of the old TV series Battlestar Galactica.

Don't see his Battlestar Galactica.

The new version of the show, which ran on ABC in 1978-79 and as the revamped Galactica 1980 the following year, will air as a four-hour movie on the Sci Fi Channel in December. A series derived from the movie is already in the works.

The earlier series involved the last survivors of an ancient civilization navigating a fleet of spaceships to a new planetary home while being pursued by the evil Cylons bent on their destruction.

As The Complete Directory to Prime Time Network and Cable TV Shows says, ``If this sounds like a copy of the movie Star Wars, it was.'' In fact, the series was seen as a cheap knock-off of the movie, and it drew few viewers during its short TV run.

But like just about anything with spaceships, it retains a fervent following, active on the Internet to this day.

So in making a new version, Sci Fi wants to draw new viewers while not overly antagonizing the old ones, who are already debating the new version's changes. Among them: More sex, more edge and changing the character Starbuck, played by Dirk Benedict on the old show, into a woman, played by Katee Sackhoff (The Education of Max Bickford).

The old show's fans probably will watch the new one just to see how mad it makes them. (Olmos said he and Sackhoff were already getting e-mails from old show fans who are ``really bitter... very angry.'') And there's nothing wrong with revising a production that wasn't very good to begin with.

Still, at a Galactica news conference, people generally tried to appeal to both fans and nonfans.

Ronald D. Moore, writer of the new Galactica, said he was really drawn just to the core idea of the old show, which he felt was more resonant since 9/11.

``You wake up one morning, and your world has changed forever, and what happens to you?'' Moore said. ``What do you do? How do you react to it? How does the guy next to you react to it? What does it say about you?''

However appealing he found that idea, did Moore really think the old Galactica was good? When I asked that, Moore said yes, but with considerable qualifiers.

``I think it was a good show, and that it had an extraordinarily interesting premise,'' he said at first. But he went on to refer to it as ``a show of its time,'' ``more escapist'' than the new version and one that seemed ``more, you know, planet of the week.''

It was sort of difficult, he said ``for that series to find its footing.''

It finally took Olmos to cut through the diplomatic replies and go to the core issue.

``A person who has a really strict belief in the original, I would advise not to watch this program,'' he said. ``It'll hurt them....

``Some of the characters' names are the same, but the intent and the way we are building the (show's) reality is not the reality that was built in the original. So I tell (fans)... buy yourself the new DVDs they are putting out of the old episodes, and whenever we come on just put that one in.''

Sci Fi President Bonnie Hammer stood by as Olmos delivered his warning against a show she was trying to publicize.

``Kill me now,'' she said.

http://www.ohio.com/mld/beaconjourna...ng/6271091.htm

You can write tha author here:
rheldenfels@thebeaconjournal.com
Old July 10th, 2003, 10:04 AM   #2
LucianG
Warrior

Default My response to Mr. Heldenfels

Dear Mr. Heldenfels:

Thank you for your report on the situation with The SciFi Channel's upcoming production of "Battlestar Galactica". I appreciate your report and the information it conveyed. In case you do any follow-up stories, I wanted to inform you of two statements regarding the original series that were in error. Both occurred in the same sentence:

"In fact, the series was seen as a cheap knock-off of the movie, and it drew few viewers during its short TV run."

First, while elements of "Battlestar Galactica" were influenced by "Star Wars", particularly in regards to John Dyskstra's special effects on both productions, it was in reality a quite different story. Pages can be, and have, been written on the differences. I'll be glad to expound upon that if you'd like, but for now, I must address the more important error. Your statement that the original show drew few viewers is incorrect. The premiere drew approximately 60,000,000 viewers (one of the biggest audiences of the season for any show!), and later episodes regularly appeared in the top 20 shows. Unfortunately, poor writing on a number of episodes and later frequent preemptions led the show to end up slightly lower in the ratings for the season. While the ratings were good, the show was the most expensive to make on TV at the time, so ABC, number one in the ratings during the period, felt those ratings weren't quite good enough. The show was cancelled due to its high production cost. After moving "Mork and Mindy" into the time slot, ABC realized its mistake when "Mork and Mindy" received lower ratings than "Battlestar Galactica". As a result of that and the fan outcry over the inital cancellation, the folks at ABC attempted to revive the show a few months into the 1979-1980 TV season. Unfortunately, like the current SciFi effort, ABC did not listen to the wishes of the fans. Most of the original characters were dumped and the theme was altered over objections from the fans. This resulted in the poor ratings for "Galactica 1980". It was cancelled after only 10 hours of programming.

Thank you again for your report. I look forward to any future reports on this matter.

Sincerely,

"Tilting at the SciFi windmill"
LucianG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 10th, 2003, 11:19 AM   #3
oldwardaggit
You old war daggit!

COMMAND INSIGNIAOwner/Webmaster
RadioGalactica

Just sent my letter off too.

OWD

OWD
oldwardaggit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 10th, 2003, 04:58 PM   #4
jewels
Stablemaster, Livery Ship

FORUM STAFFFleet Modertor
Colonial Fleets

Just an fyi: if nothing has changed in the last dozen years: The Akron Beacon-Journal is owned by Cox, one of the leading newspaper chains in the country, they also own a lot of community presses and several cable channels. Their flagship paper is the Atlanta Journal-Constitution.

Pop quiz: you all know who (network) is HQ'd in Atlanta, correct? Uh-huh.

Make a friend, gang, keep it friendly and informative.

Good find and good job, guys.

Jewels
Who is loving the "just kill me," line. Payback bites hard.

"May have been the losing side. Still not convinced it was the wrong one." Malcolm Reynolds [/color]

"We don't dictate to countries, we liberate countries." Mitt Romney [/color]
jewels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 10th, 2003, 05:17 PM   #5
kingfish
Strike Leader

COMMAND INSIGNIAAdministrator
Battlestar Pacifica
Battlestar Rycon

Quote:
Originally posted by jewels
Just an fyi: if nothing has changed in the last dozen years: The Akron Beacon-Journal is owned by Cox, one of the leading newspaper chains in the country, they also own a lot of community presses and several cable channels. Their flagship paper is the Atlanta Journal-Constitution.

Pop quiz: you all know who (network) is HQ'd in Atlanta, correct? Uh-huh.

Make a friend, gang, keep it friendly and informative.

Good find and good job, guys.

Jewels
Who is loving the "just kill me," line. Payback bites hard.
Ted Turner.
kingfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 10th, 2003, 08:08 PM   #6
Senmut
Strike Leader

Instead of killing her, couldn't we just steam-purge her out a launch tube?
Senmut is offline   Reply With Quote