Go Back   Colonial Fleets > BATTLESTAR GALACTICA DISCUSSION AREA > The Last Battlestar......Galactica!
Notices
The Last Battlestar......Galactica! For discussions about the ORIGINAL series
What Dreams May Come!

Old December 31st, 2013, 12:14 PM   #1
BountyHunter
Shuttle Pilot

Default BSG video game questions

I'm thinking about grabbing the BSG game to try it out, but have a couple of questions:

1: Is this game a prequel to the original BSG [please say yes], or the reboot series?

2: Which game system should I get it for? I have both a PS2 and an Xbox original.

Thanks for the help. :]
BountyHunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 31st, 2013, 12:37 PM   #2
David Kerin
Warrior Ace

Colonial Fan ForceArtist
Colonial Fan Force
SPECIAL ACHIEVEMENT AWARDBattlestar Galactica
Revivalist

Default Re: BSG video game questions

Well, it started as a prequel to the original, and would have tied in with Bryan Singer's/Tom DeSanto's FOX Network version of Battlestar Galactica (which was a continuation). So the end product really ties more in with the original series in about 98 percent. With the switch to the Ron Moore version they added an animated sequence at the end which featured a shot of the nu-galactica (the flying ribbed what-cha-ma-callit). But this one has aliens, a male Cain, and the classic design of the Battlestars... to name a few. Also, the designs for the different raiders, Vipers and other Colonial craft are awesome, and would loved to have seen those in a new series. Instead we got a modified Batwing.

I have it on the PS2 and never played on the Xbox, so cannot help there. I think some have said the Xbox graphics may be a bit better.

For playability, it can be fun, but it can be frustrating and some levels just unnecessarily difficult. Once I found cheat codes with invincibility I finally enjoyed the game. There is also a cheat code to feature the original Apollo and Starbuck as your wingmen. Also pointing out how it is more linked to the original series, but retrofit for the reimagining.

It's too bad the gameplay was so frustrating at times, because this could have been a great space combat sim in the Battlestar universe. Instead I think it became a game only played by Battlestar fans. But as a Battlestar fan I say its well worth the purchase, and can't be too expensive these days. Heck, the animated cut scenes alone are worth it.

If you get it, hope you enjoy!

Dave
David Kerin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 31st, 2013, 01:12 PM   #3
BountyHunter
Shuttle Pilot

OK, just ordered it for the Xbox. I'll let you know if I like it.

Glad it fits in with the original series, but why the heck would they add a shot of nuGalactica at the end? Is this actually ingame?
BountyHunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 31st, 2013, 03:16 PM   #4
David Kerin
Warrior Ace

Colonial Fan ForceArtist
Colonial Fan Force
SPECIAL ACHIEVEMENT AWARDBattlestar Galactica
Revivalist

It goes with the closing narration after you finish the game. You see the original Galactica fly by camera, and then some voice over about the continuing adventures or something, and then the camera pans over past the sun to get the Galactica back into frame and this time it is the nu-Galactica. Very clearly a last minute addition before the credits roll. Luckily does not appear in the game play, nor does any of the new characters in voice over.

It is fun to play with the cheat of original Apollo and Starbuck as your wingmen. Hearing their voices as you order them to engage the enemy is fun enough for me.
David Kerin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 3rd, 2014, 09:22 AM   #5
borjis
Shuttle Pilot

whoa! I didn't know you could do that, I'll have to try that out.
borjis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 5th, 2014, 05:32 AM   #6
martok2112
Colonial Story Teller

FORUM STAFFFleet Moderator
Colonial Fleets

Yeah, it was cool hearing their voices, but sadly, their dialogue in fighting by your side is....well...I hate to say it.....cheesy.

However, they not only voiced Apollo and Starbuck as your wingmen, they also voiced two of the characters that were heard in the opening cinematic of the game. Dirk Benedict was Captain Lukas, who is heard during the Viper launch and patrol sequence, and Richard Hatch was Rylo, the last pilot to be shot down in that sequence. Their dialogue and voice acting was much better in those scenes.
Old January 8th, 2014, 10:56 AM   #7
Jayworld
Warrior

Wow, did not realize anyone was still playing this game, but yes, if you are a classic BG fan (is there any other? ), then you will want to buy/play the game. As said earlier in the thread, it is about 98% classic Battlestar and plays as a prequel to the Classic series. I bought the game shortly after getting my PS2 in 2003, and it is fun but VERY hard. The cheat codes help a LOT, especially in one mission sequence in which you have to fly a Cylon Raider and make certain benchmarks; it was near impossible WITH the codes.

Having Richard Hatch (Apollo) and Dirk Benedict (Starbuck) as your wingmen certainly make the game ambience more enjoyable. Alas, I am stuck on the next-to-last mission which proved to be impossible for me even with the cheat codes, so I stopped playing the game about 6 years ago at least. My copy of the game I had signed in-person by Richard Hatch.