Go Back   Colonial Fleets > BATTLESTAR GALACTICA DISCUSSION AREA > Battlestar Galactica
1978/80 Episode Reviews
Notices

Old October 6th, 2004, 08:13 AM   #31
Charybdis
Battlestar Callisto

I've always wondered about that too. Although they have always said that it takes two centurions to fly the fighter... why didn't Starbuck work on the other Cylons and try to revive one of them again and then take the fighter???

http://bscallisto.proboards.com/index.cgi
Charybdis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 6th, 2004, 12:50 PM   #32
ernie90125
Also Present

SPECIAL ACHIEVEMENT AWARDOwner:
BattlestarFanFilms.com

I remember watching this as a kid, and saying the same things to my Dad, about it being one of the best episodes - and why didn't Starbuck rebuild Cy and fly the second Raider off the planet...?

And to be honest, I can't imagine that Starbuck with be there 20 years later, sitting next to a perfectly good Raider. So either he did fly it away, or the Cylons sent another fighter to find out what happened to the first.

During the CFF chat with Dirk, I asked the question of whether the events of this episode happened to Starbuck and would affect a Continuation, and he agreed. Also, in the Second Coming they go to get Starbuck after Baltar mentions him, so I reckon he did survive and departed the planet.

I'd like to see this episode re-issued on official DVD. There are bootleg DVDs of it, and the rest of the G80 series on ebay. One of them says that it also has an documentary comparing and contrasting the original and G80. I don't know which documentary it is, but I would be very interested to see it.

It would be cool to get this episode on DVD, maybe with the docu if it is worthwhile, and more up to date interviews with Dirk and Glen etc. Maybe another petition could help that ?

I also understand that there is another unfinished episode of G80, about Xavier time travelling back to Cleopatra's time to alter history. Partially filmed, but not finished. This may show that Return of Starbuck was not the last G80 episode ?????
ernie90125 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 7th, 2004, 01:42 PM   #33
Antelope

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mustex
O.k., I know that many the original Battlestar Galactica series fans consider this the only canon G80 episode. I was wondering, do you consider ALL of it canon, or just the parts with Starbuck. What I mean by this is, if you accept the part of it with Dr. Zee, and Adama, you're accepting that the baby became Dr. Zee. Or do you think the baby had an alternate future?
From what I hear most TOS fans think this is a good episode in its own right but could ignore it in a Continuation. I have also read many Continuation fans that hold it as canon simply say Starbuck was rescued shortly after the end of the episode and is with the fleet. I never hear mention of the baby. Most people hated Dr. Zee (including me).

I have read this episode was based on "Hell in the Pacific" starring Lee Marvin. It is also very similar to "Enemy Mine" although I have read that this episode or "Enemy Mine" had no influence on each other.
Old October 7th, 2004, 03:27 PM   #34
kingfish
Strike Leader

COMMAND INSIGNIAAdministrator
Battlestar Pacifica
Battlestar Rycon

Quote:
Originally Posted by antelope526
From what I hear most the original Battlestar Galactica series fans think this is a good episode in its own right but could ignore it in a Continuation. I have also read many Continuation fans that hold it as canon simply say Starbuck was rescued shortly after the end of the episode and is with the fleet. I never hear mention of the baby. Most people hated Dr. Zee (including me).

I have read this episode was based on "Hell in the Pacific" starring Lee Marvin. It is also very similar to "Enemy Mine" although I have read that this episode or "Enemy Mine" had no influence on each other.

Antelope Starbuck was actually captured by the Cylons but escaped. The opening shot of the DeSanto production had him smoking a cigar on the redesigned bridge of the Galactica.
kingfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 7th, 2004, 03:29 PM   #35
kingfish
Strike Leader

Battlestar Pacifica
Battlestar Rycon

Quote:
Originally Posted by antelope526
From what I hear most the original Battlestar Galactica series fans think this is a good episode in its own right but could ignore it in a Continuation. I have also read many Continuation fans that hold it as canon simply say Starbuck was rescued shortly after the end of the episode and is with the fleet. I never hear mention of the baby. Most people hated Dr. Zee (including me).

Hell In The Pacific is on DVD and features an alternate ending. Sadly both stars Marvin and the original Battlestar Galactica series Toshiro Mifune passed on. Marvin could have also made a great character in the BG universe.
Old October 10th, 2004, 03:00 AM   #36
Senmut
Strike Leader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charybdis
I've always wondered about that too. Although they have always said that it takes two centurions to fly the fighter... why didn't Starbuck work on the other Cylons and try to revive one of them again and then take the fighter???

Or put Cy's head on one of the other Centurions. (Starbuck's mom always told him he needed to make new friends!) Either way, it made no sense to stay behind.
----------------------------
"You know the night before was a tough one when even the sound of the fizz hurts your head." -Mike Hammer.
Senmut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 3rd, 2004, 06:24 PM   #37
originalsinner

I have this on video, if you need a copy tell me v
Old November 3rd, 2004, 06:28 PM   #38
originalsinner

This would have been a great Spin off show, "Starbucks Planet"! just add the Movie Star, and Mary Ann
Old November 6th, 2004, 12:54 PM   #39
kingfish
Strike Leader

Battlestar Pacifica
Battlestar Rycon

More on Return of Starbuck:

http://s4.invisionfree.com/Battlesta...?showtopic=581
Old January 15th, 2005, 09:53 AM   #40
Rickyrod70

Battlestar Galactica 1978

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senmut
One question. After Cy gets blasted by the other Cylons, and Starbuck is alone again, why doesn't he use parts from the five other wrecked Cylons on the planet, fix Cy again, and use the second Cylon fighter to leave?
If this sounds like a stupid question, it has been 24 years since I saw the episode, and I missed parts of it.

Since this was the final episode of BSG 80 theres no way to be sure if that s not what happened. It's entirely possible that Starbuck repaired Cy and the two of them flew the ship off the planet. Or he modified the Radier so it could be flown by one person.

Of course if he did repair Cy and they left together what would become of Cy? It's not like he'd be welcomed by the fleet. They'd probably want to interrogate him and dissect him.
Old January 15th, 2005, 10:14 PM   #41
Senmut
Strike Leader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rickyrod70
Since this was the final episode of BSG 80 theres no way to be sure if that s not what happened. It's entirely possible that Starbuck repaired Cy and the two of them flew the ship off the planet. Or he modified the Radier so it could be flown by one person.

Of course if he did repair Cy and they left together what would become of Cy? It's not like he'd be welcomed by the fleet. They'd probably want to interrogate him and dissect him.

Which is what Wilker did with the Centurions that flew Baltar to the Fleet.. I suppose Starbuck may have felt something akin to affection for Cy by this time.
"You know the night before was a tough one when even the sound of the fizz hurts your head." -Mike Hammer.
Old January 16th, 2005, 04:06 AM   #42
ernie90125
Also Present

SPECIAL ACHIEVEMENT AWARDOwner:
BattlestarFanFilms.com

Small titbit of trivia for you that I have noticed. The voice of Cy is the same as the voice of Karr, the evil version of Kitt in KnightRider.
ernie90125 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 17th, 2005, 01:30 AM   #43
Senmut
Strike Leader

Not to mention Roger Ramjet. Appropriate somehow.
Old March 23rd, 2005, 09:32 AM   #44
luicfer7thfleet
On Vacation...

LOL saw the teleamovie you want

Quote:
Originally Posted by launchcruiser7
looking for tela movie saw in early 80s had us asternuts finding the log of the battlestarfloating in space best of the 12 movies 24 shows two shows per movie hated the one with murder and lords made starbuck look like a coward
i don;t know if its still out there saw it on betatape at icon last year, a creepy guy who had the tape tryed to cope a feel, i bent his thumb back . i can be cheap but never easy haha later [ah] sure miss the old tinheads!!!.
luicfer7thfleet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 23rd, 2005, 09:56 AM   #45
repcisg
Bad Email Address

With his demonstrated skills as an engineer, he could have fixed up one of the other fighters and taken off. But by that time the fleet will have been too far away for him to get back. However, with his knowledge of the region, and a ship to fly he could have gone off planet hopping.

The Adventures of Starbuck!
or
Starbucking any one?
repcisg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 28th, 2005, 10:18 AM   #46
mocha2112
Warrior

Hi -

To answer the question about "do we (TOS fans) except G80 as "canon"", well, it depends with me. Most of the time, no, I don't. However, about 5 or 6 years ago, a friend of mine and I from the really old BSG mailing list were coming up with stories about what happened to Starbuck and Apollo after HOG but before G80. (Anyone else out there notice that when Starbuck was saying "Good Bye" to Boomer, he mentioned Cassie and Athena, but NOT Apollo? I took that as an indication that Apollo was already "dead". But that was just me...) In those stories, I took G80 as canon. I even started a story getting Starbuck and Apollo back to the G after the events of G80 to "end" the series for myself. I had assumed back then no one was going to remake the show so I decided to do it myself.

With that said, some have believed you needed two pilots to fly a Cylon fighter. I made it HARD to fly but not impossible for one guy to fly. So, in my mind Starbuck left the planet "Starbuck" after "burying" Cy. Poor Cy got his main computer systems fried and thus even if Starbuck did rebuild him, it wouldn't be Cy. ahhhh...

later....
mocha2112 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 29th, 2005, 05:00 AM   #47
SpyOne
On Vacation...

Quote:
Originally Posted by repcisg
With his demonstrated skills as an engineer, he could have fixed up one of the other fighters and taken off. But by that time the fleet will have been too far away for him to get back. However, with his knowledge of the region, and a ship to fly he could have gone off planet hopping.

or
Starbucking any one?
In 1993, Dirk Benedict told Not of This Earth magazine:
"My fantasy was to do a spin off of Starbuck, and that last episode was sort of what I wanted: a gambler, maverick fighter pilot. You just make the wild west the universe and he travels around in it. If you're going to try and do something inexpensive, then you don't have such a large cast and you don't have all this stuff and you simplify it."
SpyOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 29th, 2005, 09:59 AM   #48
Breea
Bad Email Address

Ok.. hope this is right...LOL
Thursday..March 31st... 1:00pm on sci -fi channel is the eppy you're looking for.
Experiment in Terra
Breea
Breea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 31st, 2006, 03:58 AM   #49
panadar
Shuttle Pilot

Default Starbuck could have made it back to the fleet

or
Starbucking any one?
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Better yet, he could have just simply found the working starship that the other Cylons had and taken off in that and made it back to the fleet. <smile>
panadar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 31st, 2006, 07:38 AM   #50
KamikazeAthena
Warrior Ace

Quote:
Originally Posted by panadar

or
Starbucking any one?

Better yet, he could have just simply found the working starship that the other Cylons had and taken off in that and made it back to the fleet. <smile>

Yeah. He would have just needed to remember to "wag his ears".

Starbucking........Yummmmmmm!
KamikazeAthena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 1st, 2006, 01:14 PM   #51
spcglider
Squadron Leader

Quote:
Originally Posted by panadar

or
Starbucking any one?

Well, first he'd need to use leftover parts to rebuild Cyrus (Cy) because we all know from "Hand Of God" that it takes two beings to actually pilot a Cylon Raider. Which woud qualify it as one of the most ridiculus and pathetic fighter craft designs ever "built". Right next to the "Twin Pod Cloud Car" from ESB.

Evidently someone found evidence that Starbuck was to be rescued by the Ship Of Lights had the series continued.

-Gordon
Old June 18th, 2006, 09:13 PM   #52
captmiloman
Bad Email Address

IIRC, Dirk had actually signed on as a recurring cast member, but the series was cancelled before the follow-up to "Return Of Starbuck" went into production.
captmiloman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 18th, 2006, 09:43 PM   #53
captmiloman
Bad Email Address

I don't remember if Myself or anyone else has brought this up, but a really good G:1980/A-Team parody would be if the ship of lights arrived to rescue Starbuck. Starbuck is taken to Earth circa 1972 and given the ID of Templeton "Faceman" Peck. That would give new meaning to the A-Team's opening credits montage where you see the centurion walking past Dirk/"Face".
Old June 20th, 2006, 02:45 PM   #54
jewels
Stablemaster, Livery Ship

FORUM STAFFFleet Modertor
Colonial Fleets

That would be pretty funny.

"May have been the losing side. Still not convinced it was the wrong one." Malcolm Reynolds [/color]

"We don't dictate to countries, we liberate countries." Mitt Romney [/color]
jewels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 21st, 2006, 12:01 PM   #55
captmiloman
Bad Email Address

The G:80/A-Team parody would be a great sketch idea for "Robot Chicken", if anyone here is familiar with that show.
Old July 2nd, 2006, 01:22 PM   #56
Starkiller
Frak!- Apollo

A Robot Chicken parody would be great, but to tell the truth, it would only work because every other episode of BSG 1980 is a parody in itself. The Return of Starbuck is the only good episode of BSG 1980.
Old May 2nd, 2009, 01:38 PM   #57
JAFO
Bad Email Address

Default Re: G80-06:The Return of Starbuck.

Wow, I hadn't seen this episode probably since it originally aired. Just watched it on casttv. This was a really good episode. I especially liked the beginning where Adama was telling Boomer there was no going back. It really showed the utter desparation and near hopelessness Adama felt due to their constant persecution by the Cylons. And with that said I don't think I can suffer through any of the other G80 episodes - unless you guys know of another good one. I just can't bear the sight of those motorcycles

JAFO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 4th, 2009, 11:32 AM   #58
KJ
Strike Leader

Funny that G80 motorbikes get the whole "can't stand them cliche" these days looking back, when originally, they were made for the unfilmed BG episode 'Showdown'!

Far as the theory that Zee maybe related to Count Iblis, thats a scary one, but its also something thats been raised before though? As it was also debated somewhat in the Black & White Complete Battlestar Galactica Guide/book. Zee being apart of Iblis's revenge ('We will meet again')

A child-like face of an 'Angel' but hides a demonic origin out for revenge?

Hmmm?

KJ
Old May 4th, 2009, 05:07 PM   #59
JAFO
Bad Email Address

Guilty as charged. I'll admit, if Starbuck had had one of them tied down in a corner of the hangar bay the cool factor would have jumped by a factor of 10

JAFO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 27th, 2009, 08:34 PM   #60
KageRyu
Shuttle Pilot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Faust View Post
This is really the only episode worth watching out of the Galactica 1980 episodes. The rest were really horrid and well worth forgetting.
I agree whole heartedly. While G1980 aired while I was still quite young, and the flying motorcycles seemed cool to me at the time, I never like the series much. I feel this episode was the only one worth seeing again, and still it was not enough to buy G1980 DVDs for the very limitted time they seemed to exist. Even so, I felt this episode had way too many plot holes in it.

Last edited by KageRyu; May 27th, 2009 at 08:35 PM.. Reason: typo
KageRyu is offline   Reply With Quote