Galactica and Fleets News ADMIN ANNOUNCED, BATTLESTAR GALACTICA and
COLONIAL FLEETS NEWS
ONLY please.

Old October 30th, 2012, 03:44 PM   #1
BST
Snowball, My Angel Baby

COMMAND INSIGNIAAdmin
Colonial Fleets

Thumbs up Disney buys 100% ownership in Lucasfilms!

Yes, that's right!!

What's more, plans are already in the works for Star Wars VII and it's due to be released in 2015!!

http://blogs.sites.post-gazette.com/...-7th-star-wars

Deece ees good newz, yes?

You have come to journey's end
Sleep now
And dream of the ones who came before
They are calling
From across the distant shore .

Children are a message that we send
to a time that we will never see.
BST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 30th, 2012, 05:16 PM   #2
Senmut
Strike Leader

Default Re: Disney buys 100% ownership in Lucasfilms!

No. Eventually, everything produced will go corporate.
----------------------------
"You know the night before was a tough one when even the sound of the fizz hurts your head." -Mike Hammer.
Senmut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 31st, 2012, 06:05 AM   #3
bsg1fan1975
Major

Thumbs down Re: Disney buys 100% ownership in Lucasfilms!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senmut View Post
No. Eventually, everything produced will go corporate.
Yep. And it will be more "kiddie-friendly"!

Cheese: [has tinfoil on his teeth] I have braces!
Mac: You found that on the ground, didn't you?
Cheese: Garbage can.
-episode "Mac Daddy"Foster's Home for Imaginary Friends"
bsg1fan1975 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 31st, 2012, 04:52 PM   #4
Senmut
Strike Leader

Peter Pan on the Council of Twelve?

Oh, wait...
----------------------------
"You know the night before was a tough one when even the sound of the fizz hurts your head." -Mike Hammer.
Senmut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 31st, 2012, 07:35 PM   #5
BST
Snowball, My Angel Baby

COMMAND INSIGNIAAdmin
Colonial Fleets

Nope, Siress Tinkerbell.

You have come to journey's end
Sleep now
And dream of the ones who came before
They are calling
From across the distant shore .

Children are a message that we send
to a time that we will never see.
BST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 1st, 2012, 08:57 AM   #6
Charybdis
Battlestar Callisto

I can't believe that a new movie will be ready by 2015. They shoot principal photography two years before release, that's this coming summer! Unless they already have almost everything in the works with the production ready to go and casting ready to start this month, I can't see anything released that early...maybe 2016. I think what would be best is aim for a 2017 release, think about it, the hype with a new movie on Star War's 40th anniversary!!!

http://bscallisto.proboards.com/index.cgi
Charybdis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 3rd, 2012, 10:30 AM   #7
martok2112
Colonial Story Teller

FORUM STAFFFleet Moderator
Colonial Fleets

I don't think Disney is going to make Star Wars more "kiddie friendly". They released Avengers under their auspices, and Avengers rocked. (Granted, they didn't interfere at all with the production, but it is still associated as a Disney/Marvel film). Pirates of the Carribean is another example. Completely a Disney film, and it was FAR from kid friendly, and at that, it was based on a "kid friendly" amusement at Disneyland/Disneyworld.

I think Disney knows that Star Wars has legions of fans, and they don't want to disappoint. I fall into the area of fans that enjoyed the prequels as much as I enjoyed the original trilogy. I fall into the area of fans that does not mind the Special Edition of the original trilogy. (Some might say I stand alone, or with small company, but that's their hang up, not mine.)

Look at the other upsides: Disney may very well spend the capital to actually remaster and release the original, unaltered Star Wars trilogy finally to DVD/Blu-Ray. (Something that Lucas himself swore would never happen.) Fanboys everywhere would rejoice if that were to happen. Sure, even I would get a kick out of it. I have the unaltered original trilogy on DVD, but, as said before, it didn't even really get remastered. Maybe just touched up enough so it didn't look stupid shoddy on digital, but overall, given the minimals. What I would like to see is Star Wars trilogy re-released with all the missing footage.... Biggs and Luke talking on Tatooine in Star Wars, the rebels escaping through a sandstorm to get to the Falcon in Return of the Jedi.

I'm not gonna swear that that'll happen, but now it is MUCH more of a possibility.

But no, I really don't think Disney is going to up the ante on "kiddie-fying" the Star Wars movies. They might do some goofy (no pun intended) side projects outside of the movies, but I think the future of the movies themselves, they'll sharpen up.
Old November 3rd, 2012, 02:12 PM   #8
Lara
Squadron Leader

I think this is a crossroads for the franchise. It has actually been disneyfied for a long time: toys with disney characters as SW characters, shops at the Disney theme parks etc, which have doubtless proved its marketting potential so there is plenty of drive to take that path further

Also,
the last three films had very split personas: stoopid cartoonish characters like JarJar alongside darker themes, alongside adolescent angst and love worthy of teen flicks.

Plus, the first three were made long enough ago now that the level of violence in them would now be deemed child OK, altho they were not at the time.

And the prime market is childeren not the middle aged fans their parents are (how many say.. we watch SW and I introduced my kid to the joys I had as a child...)

The kids are the target. Toys are the $$ and if the film supporting them is too adult the pester pressure to see a film still wins out and the makers cop disapproval for marketting to kids a film not suitable for them. (there was an element of this in LotR.. and I saw parents taking 6yo to those films and being very upset when little Freddy or Mary got really really scared.. then Mum and Dad get really really angry, and channel their embarrassment toward the cinema crew.. I digress)

Disney paid a LOT of money for this, they will need to get a LOT of money out of it to justify it to their shareholders. They will take the path that makes teh $$

The local opinion piece http://www.adelaidenow.com.au/news/o...-1226509453348
raises some points, some of them ill informed and corrected in the comments, but it best shows how perception of what is canon for one group bears no resemblence to canon for another. Something BSG fans know only too well..

Cheers,
Lara
Old November 3rd, 2012, 07:49 PM   #9
martok2112
Colonial Story Teller

FORUM STAFFFleet Moderator
Colonial Fleets

Good find there, Lara. Clearly, the author of that article knew not of what he/she spake.

Going back to a matter of the times....

I recall reading in TV Guide, in the "Close Ups" they would do whenever a big movie hit the networks, that they said that George Lucas had declared "no graphic violence, no strong language" for his concept of Star Wars.

Granted, I think Star Wars and Empire Strikes Back are the only movies that feature bloody dismemberments, but we usually saw the aftermath...in other words...yes, we saw light sabers swinging, but striking the actual target was kind of obscured by camera angle, and then we usually just saw the bloodied body part lying on the ground. We never saw actual separation from the body proper. So I think that kinda skirts the "graphic violence" issue.

Damn and Hell are the only two swear words we ever heard in Star Wars. After that, there was one more mention of hell in Empire, and then, we didn't hear another swear word until Star Wars Episode II, many years later. (Obi-Wan talking with Dex at the diner on Coruscant.) I've heard more damns and hells in a just a couple of episodes of the awesome "Clone Wars" CG animated series.....of course, that show is not TV-Y7 like the Gendy Tartakovsky version that aired a few years earlier. The current "Clone Wars" show is consistently TV-PG.

Unless a kid were truly scared of a Wookiee, or Darth Vader back in the 70's, overall, I'd dare say Star Wars was pretty kid-safe and kid-friendly, even with the violence level it had.

Then again, in 1984, I did know a family where the parents refused to take their kids to go see "Star Trek III: The Search for Spock" because they thought the Klingons looked too scary for their 6 and 7 year old children. (Really?)
Old November 5th, 2012, 07:13 AM   #10
Charybdis
Battlestar Callisto

In fact, Lucas had already started cleaning up Star Wars from violence. Shall we say "Han shot first?" to remind us??

Also, the main one that was excised was the guy at the control console in Star Wars after Han, Luke and Chewie show up at the door. He gets up and Han blasts him square in the chest!! For all DVD releases, that killing was cut and left on the floor. So, it has been happeneing for quite some time now. Not that I mind it, I really don't need to hear a bunch of cussing, etc. in my my movies and Star Wars I think should remain a bit kid friendly overall...

http://bscallisto.proboards.com/index.cgi
Charybdis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 8th, 2012, 03:41 PM   #11
Bootlegger 137
Viper Nugget

This company is now the ultimate power in the universe. I'm sure they will use it!!!!

Primus Strike Wing - Battlestar Galactica Online
Bootlegger 137 is offline   Reply With Quote