Go Back   Colonial Fleets > BATTLESTAR GALACTICA DISCUSSION AREA > The Last Battlestar......Galactica!
Notices
The Last Battlestar......Galactica! For discussions about the ORIGINAL series
What Dreams May Come!

Old January 27th, 2005, 08:47 PM   #31
martok2112
Colonial Story Teller

FORUM STAFFFleet Moderator
Colonial Fleets

Well..it must be said that this is a Battlestar Galactica Criticism forum...and by that title alone....that means EITHER Galactica is subject to criticism.

With that said...it means that we would like to see well reasoned statements as to why one show or the other does not meet your tastes.

Respectfully,
Martok2112
Old January 27th, 2005, 09:22 PM   #32
Dawg
Great Wise Guru

COMMAND INSIGNIAAdmin
ColonialFleets.com
SPECIAL ACHIEVEMENT AWARDCo-Owner
TombsofKobol.com
Owner/Webmaster
DirkBenedictCentral.com
Colonial Fan ForceCo-Founder
Colonial Fan Force

I'll be the first to admit BSG had its problems, but they can be traced directly to the network.

Disregard, for the moment, the stand-alone hour-long episodes (Lost Warrior, Take the Celestra, etc.) and look at the two parters - Lost Planet of the Gods, Living Legend, War of the Gods. Scratch any five BSG fans and those three eps, together with Saga, will be at the top of their list of favorite eps (along with Hand of God).

That's because BSG was supposed to be a series of a few two-hour movies, spread over the course of a year. These are the episodes they were geared up to make. The others? Thank ABC for them. ABC demanded an hour-long weekly series. So the writers had to rush. That's why Apollo was Shane in an aluminum hat. That's why Paul Fix (one hell of an actor) agonized and died over an Atari joystick. That's why characterizations were choppy and inconsistent episode to episode.

(When CA's back up next week, hop over there and read through the BSG section. It will enlighten you if you don't know the real history of the show.)

Now, dec5, I have to take issue with some of your comments, because you've got a few misconceptions at work here. May I ask your age and background? I may have known before, but it's been awhile since I've seen you around. It's important because your misconceptions may be quite honest and I'd hate you to think I'm picking on you.

Military realism - I grant you that the symbology, much of the costuming, terminology, etc. is straight out of the US Navy. But you won't find such grossly insubordinate junior officers or weak-sister command officers on any US Navy ship. Many of our members here are current or former US military; we've had discussions the past year on this subject. 1978's portrayals had a more military sense to them than the new one does.

I'll also comment that the new production lacks anything of an epic feel, which the original had in spades - but that is a matter of perception, I think, and memory.

Strong women - Sheba, an ace fighter pilot confident in her skills, able to stand toe-to-toe with the men, earning the respect of her peers, all without losing her femininity. Cassiopea, who remade herself into a very useful, productive asset to the Galactica, and more than once showing a steel backbone - again, without loss of her femininity.

Kara is a b*tch. She's butch. There's been nothing (so far) particularly feminine about her. They've tried too hard to make her into a man. There's nothing to respect, either - she's an insubordinant junior officer who deserves a hell of a lot more time in the brig than she's been given.

And there hasn't been enough shown of Callie or Dualla(?) or Sharon (whose only character development has been the conflict between her Cylon programming and her human programming) to tell what kind of women they are (except cute).

And if you've got some insight as to what Glen Larson has in mind for the contiuation movie, I'd love to hear it - he's said nothing I know in the past two years beyond "there are some great ideas being discussed to bring it (BSG) back."

Perception is in the eye of the beholder.

I am
Dawg

My Places:

DirkBenedictCentral.com, Facebook: Dirk Benedict Central Twitter: @DBCdotCOM Dirk's appearances: Appearances

Tombs of Kobol
Dawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 27th, 2005, 09:59 PM   #33
Senmut
Strike Leader

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingfish
It can't be done:

One was made in 1978 and the other 2004/05. What is acceptable in todays TV Market wasn't acceptable back then. In the 70's you couldn't show disfunctionality, all that could be done was allude to it. In the 70's you couldn't show sex on TV but movies had a bit of leeway. If it wasn't for Stephen Boccho we still would be limited in what we see. The ratings system was another plus because if it is labeled then the audience has some idea of what they are getting. I hope this makes sense.

It wouldn't matter what was or is acceptable then or now. It comes down to the fact that the two shows in outlook and tone are so different that a comparison is at best worthless.
----------------------------
"You know the night before was a tough one when even the sound of the fizz hurts your head." -Mike Hammer.
Senmut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 27th, 2005, 10:12 PM   #34
dec5
Warrior

Quote:
"The 1st and 2nd episodes were the best....and then it went down hill for me....."

I'd like to know what your objection to episodes like "Living Legend", "War Of The Gods" and "Hand Of God" are. And the "strong females" distinction for TNS is an argument that has to disregard the importance given women in TOS, especially Sheba.

Well, Living Legend , War of the Gods, and Hand of God, had their momments, but
IMO they did not compare to Saga of a Star world and Lost planet of the Gods.

The first two had a urgency and danger to them as in TNS. Other than War of the
Gods, the BSG faced Cylons that had turned into incompetent comedy relief.

In the 1st two eppys we got to see the heart of the family Adama........

As the series progressed.......... the Adama family rarely interacted. You rarely saw Athena, Adama and Apollo take time to even say hi to each other........

Plus these love triangles didn't work for me....................
(Cain, Cassie, Starbuck.) (Apollo,Sheba and Iblis.)

As for the strong women comparison...... sure TOS had Athena, Sheba and Serena with Cassie are strong women characters........ I am not taking away anything
from them.
dec5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 27th, 2005, 11:20 PM   #35
dec5
Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawg
I'll be the first to admit BSG had its problems, but they can be traced directly to the network.

Disregard, for the moment, the stand-alone hour-long episodes (Lost Warrior, Take the Celestra, etc.) and look at the two parters - Lost Planet of the Gods, Living Legend, War of the Gods. Scratch any five BSG fans and those three eps, together with Saga, will be at the top of their list of favorite eps (along with Hand of God).

That's because BSG was supposed to be a series of a few two-hour movies, spread over the course of a year. These are the episodes they were geared up to make. The others? Thank ABC for them. ABC demanded an hour-long weekly series. So the writers had to rush. That's why Apollo was Shane in an aluminum hat. That's why Paul Fix (one hell of an actor) agonized and died over an Atari joystick. That's why characterizations were choppy and inconsistent episode to episode.

(When CA's back up next week, hop over there and read through the BSG section. It will enlighten you if you don't know the real history of the show.)

Now, dec5, I have to take issue with some of your comments, because you've got a few misconceptions at work here. May I ask your age and background? I may have known before, but it's been awhile since I've seen you around. It's important because your misconceptions may be quite honest and I'd hate you to think I'm picking on you.

Military realism - I grant you that the symbology, much of the costuming, terminology, etc. is straight out of the US Navy. But you won't find such grossly insubordinate junior officers or weak-sister command officers on any US Navy ship. Many of our members here are current or former US military; we've had discussions the past year on this subject. 1978's portrayals had a more military sense to them than the new one does.

I'll also comment that the new production lacks anything of an epic feel, which the original had in spades - but that is a matter of perception, I think, and memory.

Strong women - Sheba, an ace fighter pilot confident in her skills, able to stand toe-to-toe with the men, earning the respect of her peers, all without losing her femininity. Cassiopea, who remade herself into a very useful, productive asset to the Galactica, and more than once showing a steel backbone - again, without loss of her femininity.

Kara is a b*tch. She's butch. There's been nothing (so far) particularly feminine about her. They've tried too hard to make her into a man. There's nothing to respect, either - she's an insubordinant junior officer who deserves a hell of a lot more time in the brig than she's been given.

And there hasn't been enough shown of Callie or Dualla(?) or Sharon (whose only character development has been the conflict between her Cylon programming and her human programming) to tell what kind of women they are (except cute).

And if you've got some insight as to what Glen Larson has in mind for the contiuation movie, I'd love to hear it - he's said nothing I know in the past two years beyond "there are some great ideas being discussed to bring it (BSG) back."

Perception is in the eye of the beholder.

I am
Dawg

Without too much background,,,,,,I am about 30 plus. I am in the medical profession...
and I used to watch BG religously hoping it would get better. It did not... for me.
And yes I agree ABC did push Larson and crew really hard....... in hind sight,
I know Larson would have liked more time with the scripts...

It is the nature of the business.....

It was until I heard about Richard Hatch and his stuggle with Larson that I got
interested in the show again........

I kinda liked Richard's books that focused on the Adama family and to me at least
it resembled the original miniseries I fell in love with.......

Then came this new series, which I was skeptical about.......I didn't like the Old
viper remake, until I understood the context of the design and direction.
Instead of ancient advance culture based on Egypt....they were going for a 1965
earth type alternate look like you see in Anime. Which also works great.......

As far as the epic feel of TOS and TNS.........TOS with the Star Wars type
music and bright colors, does have a grand and sweeping feel........I admit.

But......

TNS's subtle Japanese drums and eastern music in conjuction with silent moving
ships has the feel of a experience that strikes at the soul........ IMO.

I know we all have issues on both sides.......and I am not trying inflame passions
for those folks who see it differently from me...... I have always had a special
place in my heart for TOS........but I also have plenty of old issues with what became of the series and the pollitics envolved to made and broke the show...

What I have posted are my personal issues with TOS.......it shouldn't be taken
as something written in stone and everyone should be forced to acccept.........
We all love this show.....and we all have our issues with it........

Quote:

Don't forget Athena, who also was a fighter pilot and Communications officer...
And Commander Adama's daughter.......
She was basically diluted in this series......GRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR

Kara is a loose cannon I admit.......but her skills were needed......and the war
was something that spared her years in jail........ But she has proven to be loyal
in the heat of battle at the risk of her own life.

Sharon /Boomer has had a wide range of character developement.......more
than all the above mentioned. Like you said, she had to deal with her split personality, and defend the fleet at the same time....... She is also envolved
with a ill advised romance with Tyrol and deal with the relationship with Helo........
Sharon has a face of angel....and has the physicality of a professional warrior.....

Olmos said Grace has the hardest role of the series.

Duella is spunky and smart.....and professional.....and just so fine.....

Cally handled herself well when she stopped her own rape.........
She also gives Tyrol a hard time.......And she has a girlish quality that
is undenialble......

Personally I don't have a problem with any of the females mentioned....
I just find the ones on TNS exceeding my own expectations.

As far as Larson movie's plans.....

As far as I have read......I think it was De Santo's draft?? About still not using the
Orignal cast...maybe have Boxey still be the main focus with Apollo becoming
part Cylon ....or something like that.......... I saw the drawings and models....
It just gave that empty feeling........Larson's vision just reminds me of more of the
same I got with TOS........
Old January 27th, 2005, 11:53 PM   #36
Darrell Lawrence
Formerly Warrior
The Lone Wolf

SPECIAL ACHIEVEMENT AWARDOwner:
Colonial Fleets
3D Gladiators
Former Webmaster:
BattlestarGalactica.com
RichardHatch.com
GreatWarofMagellan.com
Web Tech:
LauretteSpang.com
DirkBenedictCentral.com
TombsofKobol.com

Military realism in TNS?

Did you serve in the Military?

I did. That is not military realism in TNS.

During a time of war, Kara, for her actions towards a superior officer, would have been court martialed.
Tigh, for having alchohol in his system while on duty, would have been court martialed.
"Legends never die... They just get new Captains."
"Respect the past. It brought you the present."
Darrell Lawrence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 28th, 2005, 12:14 AM   #37
dec5
Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warrior
Military realism in TNS?

Did you serve in the Military?

I did. That is not military realism in TNS.

During a time of war, Kara, for her actions towards a superior officer, would have been court martialed.
Tigh, for having alchohol in his system while on duty, would have been court martialed.

I agree, she would have. But she hit Tigh, before the war...she was gonna get
courtmarshalled for sure, until the 12 Colonies fell........and became non existent.
Tigh was retiring.......so his drinking got worse because most folks just looked the
other way..

Both benefited, oddly from the war. When the Colonies fell......Adama called the
shots.....he needed skilled folks he knew and worked with......regardless of history. Kinda like Andrew Jackson in the War of 1812.....he used anybody to
stomp the British.

True what we see on BG does not resemble the professional military of today....
they act more like the military of the frontier days of Andrew Jackson, or the
Civil War, with Grant.......But the Naval references and hardware gives a authentic
feel that is outstanding. In TNS the Colonial forces are a frontier military....and at times are separated by great distances....and apparently subject to breakdowns
in protocol.........my guess......

And in this context.....TNS gets the gritty realism.... both physically and historically...from things from our past, present and future......
IMO....

No personally I have not served in the military. But I am surrounded by the military
in my familiy and VA patients.
Old January 28th, 2005, 05:31 AM   #38
Darrell Lawrence
Formerly Warrior
The Lone Wolf

Colonial Fleets
3D Gladiators
Former Webmaster:
BattlestarGalactica.com
RichardHatch.com
GreatWarofMagellan.com
Web Tech:
LauretteSpang.com
DirkBenedictCentral.com
TombsofKobol.com

I totally disagree in that they are a frontier military, considering they've been a military for a long number of years

And I did say "during a time of war". I was not referring to what happened prior to the war.

I am referring to the ep where Kara with the braty kid totally disrespected Tigh.

I am referring to everyone smelling the breath of Tigh, and Tigh's own words to Adama that when he drank, it was before he was on duty.

Realistic military says you cannot drink for a certain amount of time prior to duty. That is especially enforced during a time of war.

Realistic military says if you are insubordinate/disrespectful to a superior officer, you can be courtmartialed. During a time of war, you *can* be tried for treason.
Old January 28th, 2005, 05:49 AM   #39
Stevew
Fleet Modeling Machine!

You are absolutly correct Don, it should have been called something else, BSG it is not
Stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 28th, 2005, 05:57 AM   #40
martok2112
Colonial Story Teller

Colonial Fleets

With all due respect to everyone, I must point out (in the light of RDM's whole "gritty, realistic" aspect) that such things realisms give way for the purpose of dramatic storytelling.

It happens all the time in any show, no matter how grand their claims, or goals. I don't expect RDM to reflect every single aspect of true military or civilian life. Such constraints would make for a boring story. The dramatic needs of the show override all such constraints.

Why do you think shows like JAG, and NCIS, and all those shows have military characters practically getting away with that which would be impossible by military dictates? It is the same way for the new Battlestar Galactica.

With all due respect,
Martok2112
Old January 28th, 2005, 06:02 AM   #41
Darrell Lawrence
Formerly Warrior
The Lone Wolf

Colonial Fleets
3D Gladiators
Former Webmaster:
BattlestarGalactica.com
RichardHatch.com
GreatWarofMagellan.com
Web Tech:
LauretteSpang.com
DirkBenedictCentral.com
TombsofKobol.com

With all due respect, if one is to make the claim of doing something, then do it

Don't make the claim, do something else and then use excuses why you aren't doing what you continue to claim you're doing.

They should have claimed of doing SEMI-realistic stuff.
Old January 28th, 2005, 06:02 AM   #42
Titon
Retired or am I?

Special Effects Artist
Battlestar Galactica 2003
COMMAND INSIGNIACoFounder
Colonial Fleets

Quote:
And in this context.....TNS gets the gritty realism.... both physically and historically...from things from our past, present and future......
IMO....
This is one of my pet peeves about tv in general today. Especially when it comes to scifi. Isn't science fiction in general supposed to be unrealistic in alot of aspects? Why does everyone in hollywood continue to try and mix real world events into storytelling?

Personally i've seen to much reality tv in my lifetime already to tune out tv completely. In Ron's own words a year ago he stated that he wanted this new show to be more realistic. Well he completely misses. All the way from the effects down to the protocals of today's military no matter what country your from.

This series is based on who can jump who's bones next to eventually create a cylon human hybrid. I don't get this writing concept. The goal of the cylon empire was to destroy the humans from day one. Why? If they could pose as human beings and be undetectable why not just infiltrate the human race and mate with them to eventually turn the society to purely cylon.

Instead they wipe out the humans then play with them like cat's with a mouse. In the end it's basically set as everything has already been preconcieved by the cylons themselves. Every action the humans take as already been foreseen. So why tell the story?

IMO the Glen Larson storytelling ultimately makes more sense then anything Moore and company have concieved to this point.
Old January 28th, 2005, 06:06 AM   #43
Darrell Lawrence
Formerly Warrior
The Lone Wolf

Colonial Fleets
3D Gladiators
Former Webmaster:
BattlestarGalactica.com
RichardHatch.com
GreatWarofMagellan.com
Web Tech:
LauretteSpang.com
DirkBenedictCentral.com
TombsofKobol.com

...hmm By Moore's definition of realistic TV, it means you should be humping your PC to procreate
Old January 28th, 2005, 06:31 AM   #44
martok2112
Colonial Story Teller

Colonial Fleets

Quote:
...hmm By Moore's definition of realistic TV, it means you should be humping your PC to procreate

(pries self from USB ports)

Eh? What's that?

Old January 28th, 2005, 06:39 AM   #45
Stevew
Fleet Modeling Machine!

The only time it seems like SCi Fi is during the FX, other wise it looks like anywhere in 2005. Did the colonials really have neck ties or phones with curley cords? It goes on and on. Should have been called something else
S
Stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 28th, 2005, 06:51 AM   #46
julix
Bad Email Address

Quote:
Originally Posted by Titon
This is one of my pet peeves about tv in general today. Especially when it comes to scifi. Isn't science fiction in general supposed to be unrealistic in alot of aspects? Why does everyone in hollywood continue to try and mix real world events into storytelling?

Personally i've seen to much reality tv in my lifetime already to tune out tv completely. In Ron's own words a year ago he stated that he wanted this new show to be more realistic. Well he completely misses. All the way from the effects down to the protocals of today's military no matter what country your from.

This series is based on who can jump who's bones next to eventually create a cylon human hybrid. I don't get this writing concept. The goal of the cylon empire was to destroy the humans from day one. Why? If they could pose as human beings and be undetectable why not just infiltrate the human race and mate with them to eventually turn the society to purely cylon.

Instead they wipe out the humans then play with them like cat's with a mouse. In the end it's basically set as everything has already been preconcieved by the cylons themselves. Every action the humans take as already been foreseen. So why tell the story?

IMO the Glen Larson storytelling ultimately makes more sense then anything Moore and company have concieved to this point.

Don, I agree the change in the story that humans created cylons ruins the premise in my opinion. Now I see why six wants to have a child with Baltar.....haven't seen all the episodes yet. It makes for a much less interesting story line and one that is overdone.....so many stories about machines we created rising up against man which is good but now overdone to me. I was much more interested in the original cylon race.

Just wanted to throw out an observation I have seen happening.....
It seems to me people 35 and younger seem to like TNS better than those 35 and older. Now I know this is a generalization and there are exceptions to this. I just wondered what everyone thought about it. Or if we have ever thought about it? Has it been brought up before? I am almost....couple days away from turning 42 and I was at I think the perfect age to view TOS it was a magical time period for me, I was still comming down(not really) from Star Wars....still the best movie to date because of it's effect on me. I have seen "realistic" movies to date that I like and move me, but nothing like the way SW and BG effected me at the time. What do you all think is there an age factor at all???

BTW.......I am not implying anything good or bad about an age factor just wondering
julix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 28th, 2005, 09:09 AM   #47
jewels
Stablemaster, Livery Ship

FORUM STAFFFleet Modertor
Colonial Fleets

I'm 39 at the moment and TNS leaves me frustrated. The characters aren't people I can care about yet, the story line isn't practical in places. (Ep. 3 if Roslin and Adama are upset about Lee's arrangement with Zarek, we're supposed to believe that they will sit by on the decision of a mere Captain and not go back on his agreement? Roslin's countermanded Adama a few times already, and she won't step up to a Captain? Huh?
Also, Baltar needs locked up in a looney bin and not wandering free. He's more than just an eccentric, and I don't at all buy that the others only see him as eccentric.

The "cylons were created by man" line, is my departure point for it being "Battlestar Galactica". It would be sort of like making a movie about War of the Worlds without the Martian's invasion of earth.

"May have been the losing side. Still not convinced it was the wrong one." Malcolm Reynolds [/color]

"We don't dictate to countries, we liberate countries." Mitt Romney [/color]
jewels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 28th, 2005, 12:20 PM   #48
dec5
Warrior

Quote:
I totally disagree in that they are a frontier military, considering they've been a military for a long number of years

And I did say "during a time of war". I was not referring to what happened prior to the war.

I am referring to the ep where Kara with the braty kid totally disrespected Tigh.

I am referring to everyone smelling the breath of Tigh, and Tigh's own words to Adama that when he drank, it was before he was on duty.

Realistic military says you cannot drink for a certain amount of time prior to duty. That is especially enforced during a time of war.

Realistic military says if you are insubordinate/disrespectful to a superior officer, you can be courtmartialed. During a time of war, you *can* be tried for treason.

Tigh is kind of tolerent of Kara's private jabs at him because he knows she is
needed to fight. She is a commoditiy that is in short supply and Adama wants
her to fight. Under normal peace and war conditions I agree she would be
punished...under our conditions..... But they are in a situation where regulations
are skirted for personel in short supply. My guess......

As far as Tigh's drinking......he is apparently sober when he shows up for duty.
So maybe he has followed the time limit. I think the reason he smells, is there
is no water to clean up or wash his uniform.....

Basically when I say Frontier military I mean in the context of operating so far away from home in a vast unexplored region......like in space......
Old January 28th, 2005, 12:28 PM   #49
dec5
Warrior

Quote:
Ouch........!! My PC in no way looks as good as Sharon or Six.......... :lol

Must be a compatabiltiy problem..............hmmmmmmmmmmmmm.
Old January 28th, 2005, 12:36 PM   #50
Eric Paddon
Squadron Leader

"Well, Living Legend , War of the Gods, and Hand of God, had their momments, but
IMO they did not compare to Saga of a Star world and Lost planet of the Gods."

You haven't explained though why these episodes constitute a downward spiral quality wise.

"Other than War of the Gods, the BSG faced Cylons that had turned into incompetent comedy relief."

I don't see where you can argue that in LL, where the damage the Cylons inflict is quite real and we're faced with the open-ended question of whether the Pegasus survived or not. And in HOG, the Cylons are not "comic relief" either, they get defeated as a result of engaging in a complex subterfuge mission.

And of course there are the character interaction moments of these episodes, plus their contributions to the backstory history of the series overall etc. that also help elevate them.

"As the series progressed.......... the Adama family rarely interacted. You rarely saw Athena, Adama and Apollo take time to even say hi to each other........"

Which can be blamed more on the growing realization of Maren Jensen's deficiencies as an actress or lack of interest thereof. There was certainly interaction with Adama and Apollo on a large level.

"Plus these love triangles didn't work for me....................
(Cain, Cassie, Starbuck.) (Apollo,Sheba and Iblis.) "

The Cain-Cassie past was critical to establishing not only Sheba's persona, but also to give us an episode that ultimately helps push the whole Starbuck-Cassie relationship forward. And in WOTG, it isn't a "love triangle" in the classic sense since Sheba is being manipulated by Iblis.

"As for the strong women comparison...... sure TOS had Athena, Sheba and Serena with Cassie are strong women characters........ I am not taking away anything
from them. "

But Ron Moore seems to be when he keeps defending the gender switch of Starbuck on the grounds that TOS lacked strong women characters.
"They hate us with every fiber of their being. We love....freedom, independence, the right to question. To them it is an alien way of living."-The non-myopic wisdom of Commander Adama, "Saga Of A Star World"

"How do you tell a Communist? Well, it's someone who reads Marx and Lenin. And how do you tell an anti-Communist? It's someone who understands Marx and Lenin."-Ronald Reagan
Eric Paddon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 28th, 2005, 01:07 PM   #51
Darrell Lawrence
Formerly Warrior
The Lone Wolf

Colonial Fleets
3D Gladiators
Former Webmaster:
BattlestarGalactica.com
RichardHatch.com
GreatWarofMagellan.com
Web Tech:
LauretteSpang.com
DirkBenedictCentral.com
TombsofKobol.com

Quote:
Which can be blamed more on the growing realization of Maren Jensen's deficiencies as an actress or lack of interest thereof. There was certainly interaction with Adama and Apollo on a large level.
Defeciencies as an actress? Her acting was fine.

It especially shined through in the cut scenes on the DVD's.

We'll never know the REAL reason why her part was cut back so much.
Old January 28th, 2005, 01:22 PM   #52
dec5
Warrior

Quote:
I don't know about that, I saw her outakes in TOS DVDs.....she was fine......
And in the commentary Richard Hatch and the others praised her skill....... So saying
she was not up to par is a bit dubious IMO. Maren Jesen was one of the big selling
points in the promotions to the public......she graced the cover of TV Guide and was
in many of the promotions......

Hatch couldn't say why they diluted her part himself........but it was obvious Larson was
changing anything to keep the show a float ..... I recall reading an article about

Larson wanting to replace Jensen altogether..... but the show by then failed to be picked up. Too much money and to the network, the ratings were not high enough to justify.

Also as I understand it, Maren was dating Don Henley of Eagles fame in those years....
His biography mentions how Maren stuggled with the politics of the show and just
got fed up with hollywood.

As far as Apollo and Adama interacting......they did have scenes together for sure,
but I found it odd that a close member of the family like Athena faded in the shadows
so fast at a family crisis and not be noticed.......Just didn't work for me....
Old January 28th, 2005, 01:34 PM   #53
Eric Paddon
Squadron Leader

"Fire In Space" and "Greetings From Earth" are the last two episodes where she has any scenes of note, and frankly whatever skill she showed in the cut scenes of Saga just isn't there anymore IMO. She really seems like someone just going through the motions, whether because of resentment over a diminished role in the series or lack of interest in acting itself by this point, who knows. At any rate, I don't think the intent was necessarily to diminish Athena's role, it simply just happened that way as the season progressed that there were greater possibilities to be found in Starbuck and Cassie.
"They hate us with every fiber of their being. We love....freedom, independence, the right to question. To them it is an alien way of living."-The non-myopic wisdom of Commander Adama, "Saga Of A Star World"

"How do you tell a Communist? Well, it's someone who reads Marx and Lenin. And how do you tell an anti-Communist? It's someone who understands Marx and Lenin."-Ronald Reagan
Eric Paddon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 28th, 2005, 02:10 PM   #54
jewels
Stablemaster, Livery Ship

FORUM STAFFFleet Modertor
Colonial Fleets

The only things I've ever heard the actor's mention about Maren's acting, was that, yes, she was inexperienced, but she was very willing to learn. I've always heard it was the producers (never mentions which one, could be Bellisario or any of the other producers working on the show including or excluding Larson, that allegedly had a problem with her acting.
jewels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 28th, 2005, 04:12 PM   #55
dec5
Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by jewels
The only things I've ever heard the actor's mention about Maren's acting, was that, yes, she was inexperienced, but she was very willing to learn. I've always heard it was the producers (never mentions which one, could be Bellisario or any of the other producers working on the show including or excluding Larson, that allegedly had a problem with her acting.
The article that mentioned this was from the movie magazine CFQ,....at least I recall.
Larson wanted a "possible" change...... Hatch in the comentary was baffled when
he heard Jensen was being phased out.......no one saw it coming.....everyone thought she was fine.

At least to me and Maren Jesen fans, it was a big mistake........all those promotions with Maren, drawing fans, and then changing what was advertised in the middle of the season.....didn't
help TOS at all......IMO.

The Comic books of BG and the paperback novels used Athena more than the
actual show.....:lol
Old January 28th, 2005, 09:45 PM   #56
Senmut
Strike Leader

Quote:
Originally Posted by dec5

At least to me and Maren Jesen fans, it was a big mistake........all those promotions with Maren, drawing fans, and then changing what was advertised in the middle of the season.....didn't
help TOS at all......IMO.

i agree. phasing her out, especially after her expanded part in FIS was a mistake. She and Boomer...possibilities there, and no doubt some NitWerk dip couldn't see it.
----------------------------
"You know the night before was a tough one when even the sound of the fizz hurts your head." -Mike Hammer.
Senmut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 28th, 2005, 11:24 PM   #57
tracyb144

I'm just going to jump in here
I've just finished watching the 4 hour miniseries. Said I wasn't gonna, but I did "give it a chance".

For me, this was like Battlestar Galactica in a parallel universe. Glen Larson's story was definately there and I have to admit, I did enjoy the way the story that I fell in love with back in '78 was "expanded" in some areas, and given a few twists. I liked the Number 6 tapping Baltar's brain for his defense plans was the way the Cylons were able to sneak attack the Colonies. That was actually a good expansion. I heard alot about the baby scene with No. 6 and to be honest, because of the tone of this retelling, didn't shock me as much as I thought it would. Which says alot for society watching today's television imho. This isn't a "family" show the way the OS was. It's dark, and more dramatically driven character wise. I'd say it's 90% human drama and 10% space battle scenes.
The CGI was excellent and I liked how the battle scenes were done.
What I *did* find interesting was that the "old" vipers were the ones counted upon to fight the Cylons coming out of the Base ships before the jump from Ragnar Anchorage. Also the playing of the original series theme during the decommisioning ceremony was a wonderful touch. That made me smile

I have to give Olmos kudos for his Adama. I enjoyed his portrayal.
Laura Roslin was also enjoyable as the new President.
Tigh..the jury's still out on him.
Boomer. Total overhaul of the character period so I looked at her that way.
Apollo I found weak considering he's now in command of the viper squadron.
Starbuck. No way. I don't get this at all. I think there could have been a better way to portray her *without* making so many Dirk Benedict comparisons. She IS a strong pilot, but the total lack for authority, running off her mouth, and the cigar thing...uh uh. It didn't *fit* for me. There's potential there if they "soften" her a bit. She can still be strong but with an added feminine touch. I don't know about the rest of the series, but I'd like to see her go in more of that direction.
Baltar is more guilt ridden and neurotic ( guess that has more to do with 6 being stuck in his brain basically ) than Colicos portrayal. No maniacal laughing here. No big bad wolf traitor, just a man who's gone "oh sh*t what have I done?" in this version.

I tried very hard to seperate the original version from this one while watching. If it wasn't for the fact that the core story that Larson wrote is indeed here I would say "no way it's NOT Galactica" but I can't say that anymore. It's a parallel version, a retelling from a different point of view, with a darker tone and some major character changes personality wise if not in name. So yes, there is definately fodder here for making comparisons.
If Moore had of rewritten the core story completely, I honestly believe that the two shows would have been completely seperate and similar in name only. Then one could argue with 100% validity that Moore should *not* have named it "Battlestar Galactica", but frack it, the core story is there and when you watch it you can't dispute it's there. I felt defeated in a way watching it, hoping to find more flaws than I did. Instead, I found the core story to be enjoyable, from a different perspective because I enjoyed the twists that were added.

Did I like it? Overall yes I did. Does it detract from the fact I enjoyed the original series more and hope for a continuation? Not at all. Is there room for two versions of the same story? Time will tell.

Will I catch flack for this post? More than likely

Tracy
Old January 29th, 2005, 12:08 AM   #58
thomas7g
out there somewhere

COMMAND INSIGNIAFormer Admin (ret)
Colonial Fleets
BattlestarGalactica-Fleets.com
Owner
Ship Of Lights Forum

I don't know if you will catch flak or not. This being a chrome forum. And any colonial knows to learn to duck when you see chrome. But I thought it was a very intellectual and well done post.

My initial reaction when I saw it was alot more angry. I hated it. But alot of time has passed. And I don't believe in holding on to hate. It makes your life worse. And I think that is more important than a tv show.

I've let go of the pain. And now I think I see the new show like any scifi show. I judge it as if it has no history with galactica. And ya know what? I still don't care much for the miniseries. I saw alot of potential. Some good parts (mostly in the end battle) but for me the characters were too abrasive and the plot too slow, and I was kinda bored.

The TV series I think is much better than the miniseries. Though I still enjoy the old show more. The plots are better now. But the old show is simply more fun and you can like the characters more.

Anyways I hope you never regret your post. I think it probably will get alot of praise from old and new fans for its honesty. Your posts always show that you are a nice person, respectful of others. And I hope everyone realizes that.

If not, look behind you. I got a viper warmed and ready for an immediate getaway!

"There is a meaning for wings that can not fly!
Its a precious memory of when you once flew in the sky."
thomas7g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 29th, 2005, 12:14 AM   #59
martok2112
Colonial Story Teller

Colonial Fleets

Hear hear!

Respectfully,
Martok2112
Old January 29th, 2005, 02:42 AM   #60
Darrell Lawrence
Formerly Warrior
The Lone Wolf

Colonial Fleets
3D Gladiators
Former Webmaster:
BattlestarGalactica.com
RichardHatch.com
GreatWarofMagellan.com
Web Tech:
LauretteSpang.com
DirkBenedictCentral.com
TombsofKobol.com

Battlestar Galactica 1978

Quote:
Originally Posted by tracyb144
I'm just going to jump in here
I've just finished watching the 4 hour miniseries. Said I wasn't gonna, but I did "give it a chance".

For me, this was like Battlestar Galactica in a parallel universe. Glen Larson's story was definately there and I have to admit, I did enjoy the way the story that I fell in love with back in '78 was "expanded" in some areas, and given a few twists. I liked the Number 6 tapping Baltar's brain for his defense plans was the way the Cylons were able to sneak attack the Colonies. That was actually a good expansion. I heard alot about the baby scene with No. 6 and to be honest, because of the tone of this retelling, didn't shock me as much as I thought it would. Which says alot for society watching today's television imho. This isn't a "family" show the way the OS was. It's dark, and more dramatically driven character wise. I'd say it's 90% human drama and 10% space battle scenes.
The CGI was excellent and I liked how the battle scenes were done.
What I *did* find interesting was that the "old" vipers were the ones counted upon to fight the Cylons coming out of the Base ships before the jump from Ragnar Anchorage. Also the playing of the original series theme during the decommisioning ceremony was a wonderful touch. That made me smile

I have to give Olmos kudos for his Adama. I enjoyed his portrayal.
Laura Roslin was also enjoyable as the new President.
Tigh..the jury's still out on him.
Boomer. Total overhaul of the character period so I looked at her that way.
Apollo I found weak considering he's now in command of the viper squadron.
Starbuck. No way. I don't get this at all. I think there could have been a better way to portray her *without* making so many Dirk Benedict comparisons. She IS a strong pilot, but the total lack for authority, running off her mouth, and the cigar thing...uh uh. It didn't *fit* for me. There's potential there if they "soften" her a bit. She can still be strong but with an added feminine touch. I don't know about the rest of the series, but I'd like to see her go in more of that direction.
Baltar is more guilt ridden and neurotic ( guess that has more to do with 6 being stuck in his brain basically ) than Colicos portrayal. No maniacal laughing here. No big bad wolf traitor, just a man who's gone "oh sh*t what have I done?" in this version.

I tried very hard to seperate the original version from this one while watching. If it wasn't for the fact that the core story that Larson wrote is indeed here I would say "no way it's NOT Galactica" but I can't say that anymore. It's a parallel version, a retelling from a different point of view, with a darker tone and some major character changes personality wise if not in name. So yes, there is definately fodder here for making comparisons.
If Moore had of rewritten the core story completely, I honestly believe that the two shows would have been completely seperate and similar in name only. Then one could argue with 100% validity that Moore should *not* have named it "Battlestar Galactica", but frack it, the core story is there and when you watch it you can't dispute it's there. I felt defeated in a way watching it, hoping to find more flaws than I did. Instead, I found the core story to be enjoyable, from a different perspective because I enjoyed the twists that were added.

Did I like it? Overall yes I did. Does it detract from the fact I enjoyed the original series more and hope for a continuation? Not at all. Is there room for two versions of the same story? Time will tell.

Will I catch flack for this post? More than likely

Tracy

I think Tracy's husband stole the PC from her