Notices
Other Science Fiction Shows A place to discuss all of the other Sci-Fi shows
which may tickle your fancy!

Old October 25th, 2005, 07:34 PM   #31
Gemini1999
Strike Leader

FORUM STAFFFleet Moderator
Colonial Fleets

I thought that this was a ripping good episode!

Some mystery, some drama, a bit of character development.....a lot of nice bits altogether.

I almost died when Nim was tunneling his way through the ceiling right on top of Mom......

Another good moment was when (I'm so bad with the character's names) the guy and the girl were almost caught in that storage unit..... I was sure they would get captured or something.

What was the deal with the underwater "flower"? Is that also an alien lifeform, or is it terrestrial.

The previews for the coming weeks have me pretty well sucked in for a while. This show's not high art, but it's damn entertaining!

Best,
Bryan

"If you love long enough, wish hard enough, anything is possible" - From The Boy Who Could Fly
Gemini1999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 26th, 2005, 04:24 AM   #32
Titon
Retired or am I?

Special Effects Artist
Battlestar Galactica 2003
COMMAND INSIGNIACoFounder
Colonial Fleets

Damn!

I missed it!
Old October 26th, 2005, 11:21 AM   #33
Malkyte
Colonial Misfit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gemini1999
I thought that this was a ripping good episode!

Some mystery, some drama, a bit of character development.....a lot of nice bits altogether.

I almost died when Nim was tunneling his way through the ceiling right on top of Mom......

Another good moment was when (I'm so bad with the character's names) the guy and the girl were almost caught in that storage unit..... I was sure they would get captured or something.

What was the deal with the underwater "flower"? Is that also an alien lifeform, or is it terrestrial.

The previews for the coming weeks have me pretty well sucked in for a while. This show's not high art, but it's damn entertaining!

Best,
Bryan

Was that a flower or one of those creatures from the Abyss. Thats what is reminded me of.

I am really starting to enjoy this show!

Malkyte
Malkyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 26th, 2005, 11:53 AM   #34
skippercollecto
Squadron Leader

Default surface and not the others

I find it amusing, and probably NOT coincidental, that a lot of people on this discussion board have latched onto Surface and yet are ignoring the other scifi/fantasy shows that have premiered this fall. I'm assuming we all have the same taste! I also find it amusing, and probably NOT coincidental, that the TV critics haven't cared for Surface as much as they have Invasion, Threshold and Supernatural. I haven't liked those other three at all, but am really enjoying Surface.
Mary
skippercollecto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 8th, 2005, 03:11 PM   #35
peter noble
Strike Leader

Colonial Fan ForceCo-Founder
Colonial Fan Force
COMMAND INSIGNIACo-Owner
TombsofKobol.com

Just watched last night's show.

Laura and Rich are becoming pro-active, which is about time!

What is the agenda of the mysterious third party?

I'm glad Miles' friend has persuaded him to set Nim free. Miles was starting to turn in to a total 'tard!

4/5 (extra point for Lake Bell getting most of her kit off!)
peter noble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 8th, 2005, 04:07 PM   #36
Titon
Retired or am I?

Special Effects Artist
Colonial Fleets

Man i keep missing this!

grrrr!

Old November 15th, 2005, 03:07 PM   #37
peter noble
Strike Leader

Colonial Fan Force
COMMAND INSIGNIACo-Owner
TombsofKobol.com

Wow, Laura and Rich dropping into the green hole at the end!

Can't wait till the next ep!

4/5
Old November 15th, 2005, 04:33 PM   #38
Gemini1999
Strike Leader

Colonial Fleets

I only saw the last 15 minutes of this one...

It's the first time I forgot!

I'll have to check the Canadian Broadcast to see the rest.

I liked what I saw - I want to see more!

Best,
Bryan

"If you love long enough, wish hard enough, anything is possible" - From The Boy Who Could Fly
Old November 16th, 2005, 05:02 PM   #39
Titon
Retired or am I?

Special Effects Artist
Colonial Fleets

Finally remembered to watch!

Top notch stuff.

Although i really don't believe the diving bell!

Old November 29th, 2005, 02:30 PM   #40
skippercollecto
Squadron Leader

Default nov 27 episode

Last night's episode was actually nervewracking in places. It was the best episode of the series so far, and the ending was kind of sad. The episode made me feel (well, almost) the way some of the episodes of Lost last season made me feel. I will miss not being able to watch this on Monday nights for a while.
I know it will return in January, but I don't know when.
Mary
Old November 29th, 2005, 06:05 PM   #41
Gemini1999
Strike Leader

Colonial Fleets

Quote:
Originally Posted by skippercollecto
Last night's episode was actually nervewracking in places. It was the best episode of the series so far, and the ending was kind of sad. The episode made me feel (well, almost) the way some of the episodes of Lost last season made me feel. I will miss not being able to watch this on Monday nights for a while.
I know it will return in January, but I don't know when.
Mary
Mary -

I caught the last half of the episode (2nd time I forgot), but I got to see how the episode wrapped up.

Nerve wracking? You said it kiddo! I thought those people would never get rescued when a big creature tried to eat the helicopter.

Having 'Nim die at the end of the episode really was a sad note for me. I'm glad that the kid lived, but you kind of got the feeling that some kind of understanding between humans and the creatures was lost at the same time.

This show is so unusual and so good! I'm glad it made the cut and I'm glad it'll be around a while longer.

Best,
Bryan

Old November 30th, 2005, 04:19 PM   #42
peter noble
Strike Leader

Colonial Fan Force
COMMAND INSIGNIACo-Owner
TombsofKobol.com

Great ep!

I'm liking the relationships on this show.

The end was a bit of surprise as well.

Is it not on again until January now?
Old December 1st, 2005, 04:25 AM   #43
Titon
Retired or am I?

Special Effects Artist
Colonial Fleets

They said new episode's back in January.

The show really has caught my attention. I hope the budget expands because the cg is pretty bad right now. The cgi shark was terrible.

But i guess i'm just picky.

The show itself has some really great moments but is a dog in other parts. But there's enough there to keep it going!

Old January 2nd, 2006, 05:18 AM   #44
peter noble
Strike Leader

Colonial Fan Force
COMMAND INSIGNIACo-Owner
TombsofKobol.com

I think there's a new episode on tonight.
Old January 3rd, 2006, 04:54 PM   #45
skippercollecto
Squadron Leader

Default only four more episodes?

What did the NBC announcer mean at the end when he said "only four more episodes"?
I actually laughed out loud a couple of times during the episode last night, not because the scenes were stupid but because they were funny. I liked how NBC parodied its sister network MSNBC. And I liked the facial expressions on Rich and Laura just before they went into McDonald's.
As the MSNBC program was being broadcast, the scene switched to a girl watching TV. Was that Miles annoying new girlfriend, or was that his sister Savannah?
Who is the bad Blum? Is it Dr. Blum, trying to get credit for discovering Nimrod, or is it his daughter, who I couldn't figure out was taking advantage of Miles for her father, or if she really didn't know if her father was a jerk or not? Or is Dr. Blum the good guy, trying to protect Miles from his witchy daughter?
Mary
Old January 3rd, 2006, 06:47 PM   #46
Gemini1999
Strike Leader

Colonial Fleets

Quote:
Originally Posted by peter noble
I think there's a new episode on tonight.
Peter -

Thanks for the reminder....I probably would have missed it!

I liked this episode - I felt like I was watching "E.T." at the beginning with Nim being packed in ice with Miles coming to say "goodbye" and then Nim coming back to life.

That doc is a jerk - he makes like he's got Miles interests at heart, but then goes for the glory when Nim is revived. I hope Nim zaps him right in the badoobies when he gets a chance.

The scene where Miles, the doc's daughter and Nim were swimming in the tank was a beautifully done scene - too bad the doc had to mess things up. I'm wondering about the girl, she seems genuninely interested in Miles, but it would be a shame if she's got other motives. It's nice to see the "geek get the girl"!

Looking forward to next week!
Bryan

Old January 5th, 2006, 07:33 PM   #47
skippercollecto
Squadron Leader

Default spirited away

I just watched the 2001 anime film Spirited Away on TCM. The dragon named Hawkoo sure looked a lot like Nimrod.
Old January 10th, 2006, 03:33 PM   #48
peter noble
Strike Leader

Colonial Fan Force
COMMAND INSIGNIACo-Owner
TombsofKobol.com

Default Last night's episode

Okay, so now Miles is mutating, ugh!

I thought those amphibians had come from outer space, now they might be manmade, call me confused but still watching.

3/5
Old January 10th, 2006, 06:32 PM   #49
Gemini1999
Strike Leader

Colonial Fleets

This show has become my "must see" programme for the week! I don't care about missing anything else, but I'm not missing this show....

Last night's episode kind of kept me on the edge for the better part of it. The idea that Miles is slowly mutating is something I just didn't see coming until we started seeing some of the more visible effects from it. I thought that I was gonna drop off the sofa when Miles kissed his new girlfriend for the first time and his hands (which were touching her face) had this sticky slime all over them. The look on her face was just unbeleivable... The change in the eyes is kind of cool, I thought that she would see that straight away, but then she had to go and kiss him. She won't do that again!

I'm liking the storyline with Rich and Laura meeting up (well Laura anyway) with that scientist. I thought casting Martha Plimpton was an interesting one - she's always looked like a "mad" scientist since she was a teenager.... It'll be interesting to see where that plot goes.

The scene with Laura getting the pic from her son was just heartbreaking....I thought I was gonna get all misty over it too. It's tough on her, being on the run and wanting to protect him, but wanting to be with him at the same time.

Only 3 more episodes to go......I wish that it was more!

Bryan

Old January 14th, 2006, 10:14 AM   #50
skippercollecto
Squadron Leader

Default last monday's episode

I thought last Monday's episode was the best one yet. The stories flowed smoothly and the acting is improving.
I missed the opening credits and so I didn't find out until later who the guest stars were. I kept thinking the scientist that Laura went off with looked like--ahem--a heavier and older Tricia Helfer. That was distracting, with me wondering how Helfer ended up there! I learned later that it was an actress named Martha Plimpton.
Old January 25th, 2006, 08:38 AM   #51
skippercollecto
Squadron Leader

Default 3 strikes--I guess I'm out

I'm very irritated today. I have learned that both Surface and The Book of Daniel have been cancelled. And because of the announcement of the merger of the WB and UPN, the chances of renewal don't look too good for Everwood.
And people wonder why I keep going to the movies so much, and keep buying DVD sets of old TV series. Every year I watch less TV than I did the year before.....
Mary
Old January 25th, 2006, 09:58 AM   #52
spcglider
Squadron Leader

Never watched Everwood or Book of Daniel, but my personal opinion of Surface is that it's not a big loss. I know it's sci-fi and all, but it seemed to have itself firmly rooted in the "fi" and not enough in the "sci" for me. They keep trying to convince me that the stuff happening in the show could be scientifically feasible without so much as a sly wink acknowledging they know its a sham. They wouldn't have to make it tounge-in-cheek, they'd just have to point out the ludicrous nature of what they're asking me to buy into. They don't do that at all. Major negative points overall.

-Gordon
Old January 28th, 2006, 09:34 AM   #53
peter noble
Strike Leader

Colonial Fan Force
COMMAND INSIGNIACo-Owner
TombsofKobol.com

I enjoyed the last episode very much. The scene at the end was great.

I'm bummed about the cancellation but at least there's going to be some sort of resolution to the series.
Old January 30th, 2006, 06:56 AM   #54
Titon
Retired or am I?

Special Effects Artist
Colonial Fleets

Didn't hear they canceled it Peter but to be quite honest with you i lost interest in it.
Old January 30th, 2006, 08:14 AM   #55
Gemini1999
Strike Leader

Colonial Fleets

Quote:
Originally Posted by peter noble
I'm bummed about the cancellation but at least there's going to be some sort of resolution to the series.
Cancelled?

Damn - there goes my reason to watch TV on Monday nights...

As far as a resolution, I don't see how unless they were prepared from the word "go" that it wasn't gonna make it.

Crap....

Bryan

Old January 31st, 2006, 04:16 AM   #56
skippercollecto
Squadron Leader

Default only season finale

The article I read about Surface's cancellation must have been wrong. The preview on last night's show said next week was the "season" finale, not the "series" finale. But 15 weeks is an awfully short season. Whatever happened to a 26-week season? I know that many series now have a six- or nine-month wait between seasons, but that doesn't work for me. By that time I have quite often forgotten about the series.
As for the episode, it's obvious where Greg gets his bullying tendencies. What I don't understand is why, with so many witnesses, no one believed that he hit Miles first. And the police department's attempts to hold off a lynch mob were frightening.
Old January 31st, 2006, 12:03 PM   #57
peter noble
Strike Leader

Colonial Fan Force
COMMAND INSIGNIACo-Owner
TombsofKobol.com

I've just watched it.

Really, really good.

Rich's discovery at the complex was a great sci fi moment.

Can't wait for the ep next week.

As to the cancellation, I read the head of NBC making a non-committal statement to some reporters. That's usually an indicator of exec-speak for: "I haven't got the stones to say it's cancelled in front of you lot, so I'll do it all sneaky like.".
Old January 31st, 2006, 06:05 PM   #58
Gemini1999
Strike Leader

Colonial Fleets

Last night's ep was pretty good - but they opened more story threads instead of heading in the direction of resolving them. There's no way that they can tie this up neatly by next week.

*sigh* I guess that they'll just have to do another 13 eps to resolve the storyline.

Now, I did have a thought.....Skiffy has been re-airing the eps each week. Who's to say that Skiffy couldn't pick it up as another one of their "original" series? At least the ratings wouldn't be so much of an issue on a cable channel.....

Bryan

Old February 9th, 2006, 03:07 PM   #59
skippercollecto
Squadron Leader

Default season--i hope---finale

What I hope was the season finale and not the series finale of Surface was the best episode yet of the series. It was quite entertaining, and I hope we're not left hanging for the rest of eternity wondering what happened (we all know that situation!).
I know there were stolen scenes in the series. The ending was from The Day After Tomorrow, but the segment with Rich trapped in that room wasn't from a movie. It seemed to be borrowed from real life, reminiscent of those stories I read of people trapped in the World Trade Center and calling their families.
Actually, what I originally thought would happen at the end was a little different. I thought that the plant would be flooded by water and destroyed. However, the room would be airtight and able to float away. I thought that maybe Jackson (the guy whose picture he saw on the computer) would come rescue him.
Mary
Old February 9th, 2006, 03:38 PM   #60
peter noble
Strike Leader

Colonial Fan Force
COMMAND INSIGNIACo-Owner
TombsofKobol.com

It was the best episode yet. Very "Hand of God".