Go Back   Colonial Fleets > BATTLESTAR GALACTICA DISCUSSION AREA > The Last Battlestar......Galactica!
Notices
The Last Battlestar......Galactica! For discussions about the ORIGINAL series
What Dreams May Come!

Old December 9th, 2003, 10:42 PM   #1
NeonNoodle

Default My thoughts on the new BSG

Hello all,found this site by doing a search on BSG after watching the new BSG.I am a fan of the original,haven't got the DVD series yet though (maybe santa will get it for me).

I thought the mini-series was good,not as bad as I thought it would be.

My Thoughts:

CG was good decent although the nifty zoom camera moves got old fast.
And it was limited,didn't get to see the new battlestars.

I liked the new Vipers and the way the had them set up with attitude adjuster jets,kinda made them more realistic even for sci-fi.But why are they shooting bullets and not lasers?

Space scenes felt more realistic too,not too much noise is space.

The new Galatica was ok,it looked its part,as old war ship,and it did look more like something we would have built.

Not enough cylon robots and the "they look human now cylons"screams money savings on CG.Its easier to call a human a cylon I guess.The cylon fighters were ok but the red eye paying homage to the original was a bit stupid looking.

The sex stuff was a bit much.Wonder why they put that in,I mean they want to get a new fan base but the old BSG appelaed to lots of people of all ages including little kids.I was 8 or 9 years old when the original came out and loved it ever since.Would parents let their little ones watch this with all the sex stuff?Star Wars and Star Trek never went there with the sex,maybe romance but thats it.The baby killing scene was a big suprise too.

The actors/charactors were ok too although the sex changes were hard to get use to.Olmos was the best though.

Overall I thought it was a decent show,I liked it.It would have been great to see Richard Hatchs version come to bear and continue the original series.There would have to be changes in actors to that too with the deaths of actors IRL and maybe not getting all the originals to come back.This version has its faults like the original did.But I am giving it a chance if its turned into a regular series with the same cast as the mini-series.
Old December 10th, 2003, 06:32 AM   #2
Stevew
Fleet Modeling Machine!

I like light hearted sci-fi with heros etc to take me away for a time, all this did was depress me. I wish the FX were lighter so I could have seen better the great work they did, that depressed me further. Rhchards version had it been done would have socked peoples knocks off
S
Stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 10th, 2003, 07:24 AM   #3
Dean Martin
Warrior

Or it could have been Galactica 1980 all over again. We may never know.
Dean Martin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 10th, 2003, 07:27 AM   #4
Stevew
Fleet Modeling Machine!

If you have not seen the trailer....... I liked G80
Stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 10th, 2003, 10:06 AM   #5
malachi42
Bad Email Address

It seems pretty obvious at this point that this is not a show they are writing for children. It appears to marketed toward an adult audience. Thus some sex scenes in that context really aren't that controversial. If they were marketing the new show as family fare then it would indeed be unseemly.
malachi42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 10th, 2003, 11:28 AM   #6
jewels
Stablemaster, Livery Ship

FORUM STAFFFleet Modertor
Colonial Fleets

Quote:
Originally posted by Dean Martin
Or it could have been Galactica 1980 all over again. We may never know.
Richard's version? No worries of G80 reappearing in that!

Oh, if you like mech cylons go here: www.leestringer.com to his gallery page & scroll down near the bottom: 3 BG:TOS -like images. The landing bay in space was in Richard's trailer, as was the cylon image. I think both were also demoed to DeSanto.... But isn't that a cool Cylon?

"May have been the losing side. Still not convinced it was the wrong one." Malcolm Reynolds [/color]

"We don't dictate to countries, we liberate countries." Mitt Romney [/color]
jewels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 10th, 2003, 11:31 AM   #7
jewels
Stablemaster, Livery Ship

FORUM STAFFFleet Modertor
Colonial Fleets

Quote:
Originally posted by malachi42
It seems pretty obvious at this point that this is not a show they are writing for children. It appears to marketed toward an adult audience. Thus some sex scenes in that context really aren't that controversial. If they were marketing the new show as family fare then it would indeed be unseemly.
But unfortunately their marketing did not let you know that it wasn't family fare, when the original clearly was. To me that is part of why it was mis-titled.

"May have been the losing side. Still not convinced it was the wrong one." Malcolm Reynolds [/color]

"We don't dictate to countries, we liberate countries." Mitt Romney [/color]
jewels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 10th, 2003, 05:19 PM   #8
malachi42
Bad Email Address

I wonder how much they geared their marketing campaign to viewers who had seen the old show, and how much they geared it to a younger audience who weren't alive when the original was made. Perhaps they thought it wasn't an issue.
Most of the young people I know who watched it have no clue whatsoever about the original BG.
malachi42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 10th, 2003, 06:18 PM   #9
thomas7g
out there somewhere

COMMAND INSIGNIAFormer Admin (ret)
Colonial Fleets
BattlestarGalactica-Fleets.com
Owner
Ship Of Lights Forum

The marketing seemed to focus on both old and new fans, but whenever anyone opened their mouths they felt the need to say something bad about the old show.

Literally they kept saying "I am such a big fan of the old show! But it was really lame and we are much better." That's one reason people were getting pissed.

"There is a meaning for wings that can not fly!
Its a precious memory of when you once flew in the sky."
thomas7g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 11th, 2003, 07:48 AM   #10
Belloby
Bad Email Address

The folks I asked about this re-imaging (20 people at work) of BSG didn't care at all. To them BSG was a done deal. The idea to do a "what are they doing now" movie might have been cool, but to remake with new characters, in their opinion, was a total waste. To them, the series only lasted "a year and was on TV sometime in the late 70s" and that was it.

One commented, "Why bother throwing big money into a series that barely lasted a year?"

My two cents...
Belloby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 11th, 2003, 08:07 AM   #11
Dean Martin
Warrior

Quote:
One commented, "Why bother throwing big money into a series that barely lasted a year?"
Well ,I have seen big money thrown at lesser successful projects.
I don't see a problem with it. Heck, remakes are all the rage. They made Beverly Hillnillies for crying out loud. I'm surprised the mini was a made for TV thing. I think a big budget remake at the Theater could be or could have been big.
Old December 11th, 2003, 03:07 PM   #12
thomas7g
out there somewhere

COMMAND INSIGNIAFormer Admin (ret)
Colonial Fleets
BattlestarGalactica-Fleets.com
Owner
Ship Of Lights Forum

I don't think this could have worked as a theatrical movie. The production values were up there. It was a visually solid miniseries.

But a movie depends upon positive word of mouth. And there is soooo much negative. I think some people would have liked it. And some would have seen it over and over. But the vast neutral non scifi public would have stayed away from hearing all the anti reviews.

"There is a meaning for wings that can not fly!
Its a precious memory of when you once flew in the sky."
thomas7g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 11th, 2003, 04:59 PM   #13
Dean Martin
Warrior

No way the TV movie would have passed as a theatrical release. Not without some more big budget graphics and so forth.
as far as there being soooo much negativity, that may be true on galactica boards but the bulk of my message board activity is actually at Home Theater websites where discussing specific shows does occur and almost all of the BSG posts I have read have been positive.
Old December 14th, 2003, 12:44 PM   #14
callsignfalcon
Warrior

Default Younger audience... (or what I liked and disliked)

I enjoyed the sense of realism the mini had. It portrayed a lot of different POV of various types of citizens of the 12 colonies. The crews, warriors, Generals, politicians, and every day people. That was the main thing I liked. That and the way it was filmed... it made it seem as if I was watching a documentary.

There were some things I disliked, however, such as Boomer being a cylon and the slowness of the series. Though the 'slowness' made it seem a tad real... if slightly annoying at times. After all, the mini took place in what a 24... 36 hour time period? 48 hours at most I believe.

I'm a junior in High school, so sadly, I didn't grow up with the original series (I do remember a few scenes from reruns while I was in Elementary. To me I judge both on their own... and I like both. I like the morals of the first, and the realism of the mini. I plan to get the DVD set this Christmas to watch the entire series .

I hope they at least continue the mini in another mini; I really would like to see what ends up happening with Boomer and a few other situations.

In my opinion, it was directed more at my generation… at least that’s what I thought (and my parents thought) when we watched it together. A few of my other friends watched the mini, several of which had seen at least a few episodes of the original, and liked it a lot. One even said it was awesome.

If it were to continue to a series I, for one, would watch it to see where it goes.

I read about how BSG fans of the original feel slighted and angered by various thing’s that went on during the road to this re-imaging being made. I can sympathize a bit, I would have hated them to just take Farscape off the air then do a complete make-over of the show and slap the name on it (same with my other favorite shows: Buffy, stargate, and B5). I also thing perhaps re-sexing several characters (especially StarBuck) may have gone a bit to far in the re-imaging

Anyway, I hope this is a good point of view from another generation.
callsignfalcon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 14th, 2003, 01:07 PM   #15
Dean Martin
Warrior

Quote:
There were some things I disliked, however, such as Boomer being a cylon
Well until the show returns we won't know for sure that the Boomer on the Galactica is in fact a Cylon.
Old December 14th, 2003, 09:25 PM   #16
HollyKnight55

Two Comments:

The camera angles in space and the lack of sound... yeah... you can thank Joss Whedon and a little series called Firefly for those. You know... Firefly. TV series... only lasted one season, but coming to a theatre near you... AM I THE ONLY PERSON THAT WATCHED THIS SHOW!?!

As for the sex in the show, it didn't bother me - which is strange, because I'm usually a prude about this stuff. But for the most part, it was monogamous sex that I think was meant to say something about the intimacy of the relationships. And in the case of Gaius, his being unfaithful was frowned upon. Granted, it did get a bit... steamy... at points... but again, those scenes kind of fit the mood they were trying to set and didn't strike me as gratuitious... well, not gratuitous for the audience, but maybe for the characters.
Old December 14th, 2003, 09:42 PM   #17
callsignfalcon
Warrior

Default whooo!

Firefly! Loved it! I only missed one episode when it aired! I love most of Joss' work too! I can't wait for the movie!
Old December 14th, 2003, 09:51 PM   #18
HollyKnight55

Default Re: whooo!

Quote:
Originally posted by callsignfalcon
Firefly! Loved it! I only missed one episode when it aired! I love most of Joss' work too! I can't wait for the movie!
Really? Well, you know, our Play By E-Mail Game is always looking for new players. Think of it as team fan fiction, with each person controlling their own original characters on our ship, Monarch. A lot of fun. Ours is still new, but we have a great crew. If you're interested, let me know.

Incedently, a couple of friends and I are considering one based on the new BSG... hmmm... maybe this should be it's own thread.
Old December 14th, 2003, 09:54 PM   #19
callsignfalcon
Warrior

Default re:re: whoo

Really? I just might be I already wrote one BSG03 fanfic... and ive actively been a part of a SW rpg for 5? years now... for the most part active anyway... sounds fun! hmmm... maybe i should finish my btvs epic first O.o.... nah i can mulit task!
Old December 14th, 2003, 10:02 PM   #20
HollyKnight55

Hey, if you're interested in Monarch check out the links in my sig.

The first is our XO's site, not a bad intro to our crew.
The second is where we post all our in character posts, which you can read without joining.
The third is the sim group we're part of - the SLA. Mostly Trekkies, but a great group. Monarch's crew Lounge is near the bottom, if you want to give a "hi".

BSG would be great. I don't know if I'd like to run one necessarily, but I know I'd like to play one. Of course, I'm so egotistical I'd have to be an experienced simmer AND a BSGmini fan to keep me happy. Sheesh, maybe I should do it myself.
Old December 14th, 2003, 10:07 PM   #21
callsignfalcon
Warrior

Default lol

BSG would be great. I don't know if I'd like to run one necessarily, but I know I'd like to play one. Of course, I'm so egotistical I'd have to be an experienced simmer AND a BSGmini fan to keep me happy. Sheesh, maybe I should do it myself.

Running one unless you got a whole crew is sometimes a bit hard... specially if someone has RL problems... I'll be sure to check that out tomarow! thanks for telling me about it!