Go Back   Colonial Fleets > REEL-WORLD CONNECTION > My Collections > Mary's Collectibles
Notices

Old August 24th, 2008, 07:53 AM   #1
skippercollecto
Squadron Leader

Default round 4

I bought The Rick Springfield Songbook at a flea market yesterday. This is the biography on page 4.

From The Rick Springfield Songbook, copyright 1982 Cherry Lane Music Co.

Rick Springfield--a young man of diversified talents--one of which is the knack for being in the right place at the right time. This impeccable timing has produced two platinum albums in as many years, a Grammy Award for his smash single Jessie’s Girl, a Standing Room Only touring schedule throughout the world, and a starring role as Dr. Noah Drake on daytime TV’s award-winning soap, “General Hospital.”

Rick was born Richard Springthorpe on August 23, 1949, in Sydney, Australia. When Rick was 10 years old, the family (Norman, Eileen and brother Michael) moved to England. It was here that Rick came face to face with rock ’n roll. By the time he went back to Australia, three years later, the Beatles had hit the scene and became Rick’s primary influence.

He purchased a guitar at the age of 13, and within a year Rick was lead guitarist in “The Icy Blues,” his first group. Next, Rick joined a band called “The Jordy Boys.”

“We were as hardcore as you can get at sixteen years old,” Rick says, looking back on those tough years of rock ‘n rolling. By 1968, Rick’s style of rock began to formulate while entertaining troops in Vietnam, as he gained valuable experience in the music business. He went on to form a new band. “Zoot,” and began to receive the recognition that his devoted Australian fans felt he long deserved. The group released two albums which received prestigious awards. This signified “Zoot” as Australia’s top band, and Rick Springfield became the country’s most popular composer and guitarist.

In 1971, Rick’s solo single, Speak To The Sky, hit number 1 in Australia, arousing American interest in Rick’s career. It was arranged that he would record his first album in London, England, for Capitol Records.

By 1972, Speak To The Sky reached number 14 in America. It looked as if Rick was heading for superstardom, but, as he recalls, “at this point, I was not in control of my direction.” Rick changed course to pursue an interest in acting, studying with acting coaches Vincent Chase and Malcolm McDowell. In his spare time (what there was of it!) he continued writing music and recording new material. After three years of this busy, but still invisible existence, Chelsea Records signed Rick to a contract.

“I made a really good album for them, and it was getting a lot of airplay. But just as I started touring, the record company folded,” Rick reflects. "I couldn't believe it.”

The album, Wait For Night, came out in 1976, and featured such names as Dee Murray and Nigel Olsson, from Elton John’s band.

In spite of the setback with his record company, Rick maintained a positive outlook on his future and opened a small theater in Hollywood. He produced plays for friends, family, and anyone else who cared to watch. In addition to acting in the shows, Rick did much of the set designing, building and lighting. He was spotted by a talent scout from Universal who signed him immediately. Rick appeared in “The Six Million Dollar Man” and “The Rockford Files” before tackling the role of Noah Drake, the on- and off-screen heartthrob of the soap opera, “General Hospital.”

After his acting career began to soar, Rick joined forces with RCA records to produce two albums. Working Class Dog, released in early 1980, went platinum, followed in hot pursuit by Success Hasn’t Spoiled Me Yet.

It is anyone’s guess as to what lies ahead for Rick Springfield. As a musician, he can croon a soft ballad and belt out a hard-edged rocker. In his role as Noah Drake, we experience another side of Rick Springfield--the serious, sensitive side. With his determination, positive attitude and boundless energy, you can bet that Rick Springfield will succeed in any endeavor he undertakes. As the title of his second album suggests, it doesn't seem that success has spoiled Rick Springfield at all.

http://www1.snapfish.com/slideshow/A...976/t_=7908976
skippercollecto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 28th, 2008, 03:23 PM   #2
skippercollecto
Squadron Leader

Default rick springfield

American Profile Sept. 21, 2008

http://www1.snapfish.com/slideshow/A...976/t_=7908976
Old November 28th, 2008, 09:02 AM   #3
Athene
Galactica's Princess

Default Re: other cast members

Oh, that's cool! I hadn't seen that before.

Battlestar Earth admin
Galactica's Princess admin
Battlestar Galactica Club Board Theme/Avatar Keeper
Athene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 1st, 2009, 01:19 PM   #4
skippercollecto
Squadron Leader

Default an article about Red West

Actor Red West played Marco, Lacerta's henchman, in the episode "The Lost Warrior." I had no idea the actor had such an impressive list of roles, not to mention all those Elvis movies!

This article is from the June 17 issue of "City Beat" a semi-underground free weekly newspaper in Cincinnati.

http://www1.snapfish.com/slideshow/A...908976_7908976
Old April 7th, 2010, 05:15 PM   #5
skippercollecto
Squadron Leader

Default Rick Springfield 1984 tour program

I found this Rick Springfield 1984 tour program at an antique(!) mall. Does Rick know he's an antique?! The program is in both English and Japanese.
Mary
Attached Images
File Type: jpg rick world tour.jpg (281.5 KB, 3 views)
Old July 17th, 2011, 01:16 PM   #6
skippercollecto
Squadron Leader

Default 2011 articles

Indianapolis Star July 6, 2011
Attached Images
File Type: jpg indy star 7 6 11.jpg (512.7 KB, 4 views)