Go Back   Colonial Fleets > BATTLESTAR GALACTICA DISCUSSION AREA > The Last Battlestar......Galactica!
Notices
The Last Battlestar......Galactica! For discussions about the ORIGINAL series
What Dreams May Come!

Old November 13th, 2004, 10:35 AM   #61
martok2112
Colonial Story Teller

FORUM STAFFFleet Moderator
Colonial Fleets

Quote:
Originally Posted by repcisg
warhammerdriver brings up a good point, what to do if NBC choses to use what we produce. We should have an agreement in place defining how much each person gets.

I would suggest at this point that every one who contributes, no matter how much or how little, gets an equal share. Because at this point in time it is impossable to to say how much or how little each persons contribution will be and without such an agreement NBC wil never talk to us.

Equal cut is fine with me...because for the cause of resurrecting our beloved classic...even in animated form, everyone's job would be EQUALLY important.

Martok2112
Old November 13th, 2004, 10:53 AM   #62
BST
Snowball, My Angel Baby

COMMAND INSIGNIAAdmin
Colonial Fleets

Quote:
warhammerdriver brings up a good point, what to do if NBC choses to use what we produce. We should have an agreement in place defining how much each person gets.

I would suggest at this point that every one who contributes, no matter how much or how little, gets an equal share. Because at this point in time it is impossable to to say how much or how little each persons contribution will be and without such an agreement NBC wil never talk to us.
Rep,

So, in other words, develop a formal partnership agreement? If so, I agree. If this goes so far, as to catch the eye of a network, they won't be wanting to deal with a group of mysterious internet posters, they'll want real people and real names, preferably a "production company" of sorts, with a defined structure.

A suggestion might be to survey for interest then, break into workgroups, to separately concentrate on defined areas such as how the overall group would be established (non-profit / for profit) and what the mission would be. Also, the nuts and bolts issues of the "production" in terms of resources needed (like you mentioned in an earlier post (November 11th, 2004 12:00 PM) ) - artists, "voices", materials, medium (for showing the finished product), compensation.

These are just some rough ideas, off the top of my head. Anyone, feel free to add to the list.

BST

Dang, I like this kind of forward thinking!
You have come to journey's end
Sleep now
And dream of the ones who came before
They are calling
From across the distant shore .

Children are a message that we send
to a time that we will never see.
BST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 13th, 2004, 11:08 AM   #63
martok2112
Colonial Story Teller

Colonial Fleets

Welll....I have to say I rather like the sound of the name Colonial Fleets Production Company

And yes, Forward thinking is a very good thing

Martok2112
Old November 13th, 2004, 12:05 PM   #64
shiningstar
Bad Email Address

Quote:

I agree
shiningstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 14th, 2004, 05:16 AM   #65
Mustex
On Vacation...

Quote:
Originally Posted by warhammerdriver
"These works are made by the fans of Battlestar Galactica for the enjoyment of their fellow fans. Any monies generated in excess of production costs are to be donated to Reform Party USA."
HAIL PEROT!

Rule 1: You lose.
Mustex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 14th, 2004, 09:38 AM   #66
repcisg
Bad Email Address

Let me share a few thoughts if I may. We have here a highly talented group of individuals, which if brought together are capable of producing some extraordinary stories, graphics and possibly even films. But beyond basic talent, this group also is highly adept in the use of technology; which places us in a unique position, at a unique moment in time.

Communication companies are working over time to wire the world, not just the US, but the world with high speed communications. This is intended as a delivery system for a broad variety of entertainment, not the least of which is video. This gives us an independent distribution system.

With the talent on this board, mixed with discipline and cooperation we should be able to produce a very high quality animated continuation video of TOS. This will for many, satisfy the burning desire to ‘Know what happened’ after the Hand of God. But beyond that, taking what we will learn, we could go to the next step and begin producing original material.

I’ve spent only a short amount of time stripping TOS for several of my stories and rebuilding them, this has proven to be a fairly simple task, infact much easier than I had expected. The story of a mass exodus by a people following a military defeat is quite common throughout history, and cannot be copyrighted.

To give you an example, from my own work. In the Journal of Jal, I recently launched the Emerald Fleet, they will settle the world named Emerald. Following them the Crimson fleet will launch to colonize the world later to be named Andraman. In turn these two worlds will establish new human civilizations ultimately to find them selves in the path of the Tridon Alliance (Trillon Alliance to the Andramans). Emiral and Andraman will stand firm in the face of this advance, completely unaware of the others existence as a major human civilization. Then Andraman will fall. And the exodus will begin.

From Andraman’s fall I have identified six possible stories, The Right Wing, Agrippa’s Run, Damocles, DesRon, Sparta, and The Tigers of Canopus. Based on the foundation laid by Jal’s Journal and it’s companion, Ice Age End, all five stories are original. Now add to this the Earth based stories in the same universe of the ETLF War and EDF and there is just no way anyone could say my work is derived from anything other than myself.

All of the above was fairly easy to do, it just took a little thought.

Considering the vast number of stories written by this group we should have no shortage of marital to work with.

The key to our success will be our pulling together with commitment and personal discipline on the part of all who participate.

Just a few of my thoughts at this point.
repcisg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 14th, 2004, 08:26 PM   #67
repcisg
Bad Email Address

Well trashed nother thread!
Old November 14th, 2004, 08:36 PM   #68
Gemini1999
Strike Leader

Colonial Fleets

Quote:
Well trashed nother thread!
Repcisg -

What do you mean trashed? I didn't see anything that looked like trash...

Or, are you referring to the lack of responses? Don't let it get to you, I get the impression that most people ignore what I post all the time....

Later,
Bryan

"If you love long enough, wish hard enough, anything is possible" - From The Boy Who Could Fly
Gemini1999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 14th, 2004, 08:39 PM   #69
repcisg
Bad Email Address

Oh good, there is life after all
Old November 14th, 2004, 09:01 PM   #70
Gemini1999
Strike Leader

Colonial Fleets

Quote:
Oh good, there is life after all
Oh, I see....

You were just "fishing" for compliments and/or comments.

A watched pot never boils!

"If you love long enough, wish hard enough, anything is possible" - From The Boy Who Could Fly
Old November 14th, 2004, 10:14 PM   #71
martok2112
Colonial Story Teller

Colonial Fleets

Well,
(repcisg, I apologize that i have not responded yet to your last posting) Been busy with some other mod duties ...and listening to people sing bad songs very badly.

I think he has the right idea as far as the drive for such an undertaking. It is something I would be willing to do as well....in fact, I've been trying to fire up the old noggin's imagination factory for some possible stories.

Right now, my only problem is that I vaguely remember a lot of the Hand of God as it ihas been quite some time since I have seen just about any Classic Galactica episode. I want to get the box set asap so that I get myself more familiar with that aspect / time of the series.

When I wrote my fanfic, I wrote it pretty much after having only seen the DVD of SASW (theatrical release) again. I had not seen any BSG eps since several years before, only using some online sources to help me keep my story straight.

I was a lot more comfortable with writing that story, as opposed to writing something much much closer in time to Hand of God.

Gimme some time, repcisg, to see a few ideas...I think this would (at the very least) be another good creative exercise for everyone.

Compliments? Comments? (swift kicks in the astrums?) Anybody?

Respectfully,
Martok2112
Old November 15th, 2004, 10:35 AM   #72
repcisg
Bad Email Address

Thanks Martok2112,

We went through an exercise like this a couple of years back, I think we were still part of 3dGladiators at the time. I found a good place to start would be to think about what it would be like living in the fleet. What would I need to do to improve conditions. What would I want?

Looking forward to seeing what you com up with.
Repcisg
Old November 15th, 2004, 11:34 AM   #73
KJ
Strike Leader

Would You Like Galactica Animated?

Only if there was a continuation up and running and several spin off stories were told in between the animated version of short tales and the live action version. Same way The Animatrix worked for the Matrix Reloaded, Chronicles Of Riddick had 'Dark Fury' The Clone Wars cartoon series, telling stories of the legendary Clone Wars inbetween Episodes 2 and 3. And Van Helsing's prequel told in animation.

A direct sequel from the 1978 show in animation i can't fathom would work, i'd see it as folly unless it ran along side a live action production that was hyped up like a blockbuster movie. And what stylised version of animation are we talking about? Has anyone thought of a good American or Japanese animation studio house that would develop several episodes or one, one off special. Re-introducing Battlestar Galactica?

Don't get me wrong, i'm a huge animation fan. In a animated world only thing holding anything back is the imagination of the creators. Skies the limit as they say. A well thought out prequel or sequel to the original series or even stories set inbetween the original show fleshing out several unfinished plot elements like for example; A prequel showing events during the holocaust. Dr Ravishol and his clones, stories involving Colonel Croft in the fleet, continuing the story of Pappas and his mother from The Lost Warrior, Stories showing The Battlestar Pegasus and Commander Cain covering events after Living Legend of what happened? or the Planet Terra trilogy with Commandant Leiter and the escaped Borellians, it would be great to see all this in a animated continuation as such.

But i wouldn't stand for a poorly animated series nor a rushed one to boot. If it were a set of specials like 6 short movies, maybe. but i'd like the live action movie/series continuation to back it up first.

Perhaps a set of live action shorts is needed also. Done with the passion fans of Galactica would do them with but, supported with a major budget and starring actors. Better yet if your doing animation still, hire major hollywood talent to do your voice overs not your average voice over artists.

Although, people like Mark Hamill, Hank Azaria, Phil LaMarr and other notable actors/ voice over artists would greatly benefit a animation production of any kind.

Great thread people, keep the ideas and banter up!

KJ

Old November 15th, 2004, 11:46 AM   #74
bsg1fan1975
Major

this would be a plausible idea if it were done right. I wouldn't mind watching it. My opinion is to get as many of the original actors to do the voices of the characters as they could.

Cheese: [has tinfoil on his teeth] I have braces!
Mac: You found that on the ground, didn't you?
Cheese: Garbage can.
-episode "Mac Daddy"Foster's Home for Imaginary Friends"
bsg1fan1975 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 15th, 2004, 01:42 PM   #75
BS Cerberus
Battlestar Cerberus CO

Greetings, I am fairly new here, but I have some things that should be pondered.

I am new to your forum, however, I am not new to being a part of such projects. There are many pitfalls and easy mistakes that lead to disaster. I tell you this, not because I think it will fail, but rather as something that needs to be kept in the back of your mind.

Many times, people with the best intentions get caught up in the minutia, and fail to see what’s important. This can be disastrous.

I am no stranger to writing, and creating both original and continuations of stories/genres.

The most important thing I have learned over the years, is that while these sorts of projects require a great many people to support it, ultimately you require a small group (less than 5) or an individual with the vision and perseverance to guide such a project to the end.

I have already spoken with other members about this project, and I think it has great potential. I have indicated I would like to be a part of this project, and in doing so, lend some of my experience and organization skills to it.

In that spirit, The first thing that must be done is to create an organization and responsibilities document. This would outline the areas of the project (IE animation, story, art, directing, editing, proofing, legal, ECT...). To go with this, the document needs to name people who will be responsible for those departments and tasks. The guiding group will have to make the decisions of what they want to see happen, then hand those things off to the area that best fits what needs done.

This has great potential, and I would hate to see it fumbled, not from lack of desire, but by lack of experience and knowledge. I see a great group of motivated people here, so I have little doubt it can be done.

So who is going to take the lead?
BS Cerberus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 15th, 2004, 04:35 PM   #76
shiningstar
Bad Email Address

Quote:
Originally Posted by BS Cerberus
Greetings, I am fairly new here, but I have some things that should be pondered.

I am new to your forum, however, I am not new to being a part of such projects. There are many pitfalls and easy mistakes that lead to disaster. I tell you this, not because I think it will fail, but rather as something that needs to be kept in the back of your mind.

Many times, people with the best intentions get caught up in the minutia, and fail to see what’s important. This can be disastrous.

I am no stranger to writing, and creating both original and continuations of stories/genres.

The most important thing I have learned over the years, is that while these sorts of projects require a great many people to support it, ultimately you require a small group (less than 5) or an individual with the vision and perseverance to guide such a project to the end.

I have already spoken with other members about this project, and I think it has great potential. I have indicated I would like to be a part of this project, and in doing so, lend some of my experience and organization skills to it.

In that spirit, The first thing that must be done is to create an organization and responsibilities document. This would outline the areas of the project (IE animation, story, art, directing, editing, proofing, legal, ECT...). To go with this, the document needs to name people who will be responsible for those departments and tasks. The guiding group will have to make the decisions of what they want to see happen, then hand those things off to the area that best fits what needs done.

This has great potential, and I would hate to see it fumbled, not from lack of desire, but by lack of experience and knowledge. I see a great group of motivated people here, so I have little doubt it can be done.

So who is going to take the lead?
Welcome to the fleets!
shiningstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 15th, 2004, 04:55 PM   #77
martok2112
Colonial Story Teller

Colonial Fleets

Quote:
Thanks Martok2112,

We went through an exercise like this a couple of years back, I think we were still part of 3dGladiators at the time. I found a good place to start would be to think about what it would be like living in the fleet. What would I need to do to improve conditions. What would I want?

Looking forward to seeing what you com up with.
Repcisg
exacyly what I was thinking, rep.

Glad we are on the same page.

Respectfully,
Martok2112
Old November 15th, 2004, 04:58 PM   #78
martok2112
Colonial Story Teller

Colonial Fleets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Kingjason
Would You Like Galactica Animated?

Only if there was a continuation up and running and several spin off stories were told in between the animated version of short tales and the live action version. Same way The Animatrix worked for the Matrix Reloaded, Chronicles Of Riddick had 'Dark Fury' The Clone Wars cartoon series, telling stories of the legendary Clone Wars inbetween Episodes 2 and 3. And Van Helsing's prequel told in animation.

A direct sequel from the 1978 show in animation i can't fathom would work, i'd see it as folly unless it ran along side a live action production that was hyped up like a blockbuster movie. And what stylised version of animation are we talking about? Has anyone thought of a good American or Japanese animation studio house that would develop several episodes or one, one off special. Re-introducing Battlestar Galactica?

Don't get me wrong, i'm a huge animation fan. In a animated world only thing holding anything back is the imagination of the creators. Skies the limit as they say. A well thought out prequel or sequel to the original series or even stories set inbetween the original show fleshing out several unfinished plot elements like for example; A prequel showing events during the holocaust. Dr Ravishol and his clones, stories involving Colonel Croft in the fleet, continuing the story of Pappas and his mother from The Lost Warrior, Stories showing The Battlestar Pegasus and Commander Cain covering events after Living Legend of what happened? or the Planet Terra trilogy with Commandant Leiter and the escaped Borellians, it would be great to see all this in a animated continuation as such.

But i wouldn't stand for a poorly animated series nor a rushed one to boot. If it were a set of specials like 6 short movies, maybe. but i'd like the live action movie/series continuation to back it up first.

Perhaps a set of live action shorts is needed also. Done with the passion fans of Galactica would do them with but, supported with a major budget and starring actors. Better yet if your doing animation still, hire major hollywood talent to do your voice overs not your average voice over artists.

Although, people like Mark Hamill, Hank Azaria, Phil LaMarr and other notable actors/ voice over artists would greatly benefit a animation production of any kind.

Great thread people, keep the ideas and banter up!

KJ

I like the idea of short films (in either live action or animated form, IMHO) With short films, we can dedicate more time to less content, and crank out quality (or near quality) stuff without worrying about half hour episodes. (Like Clone Wars , but with animation that has more gravitas towards something Galactica deserves.....like the Batman/Superman style animation...or, perhaps, again, in the style that Thomas7g established for the lovely Athena.)

Respectfully,
Martok2112
Old November 18th, 2004, 10:02 AM   #79
repcisg
Bad Email Address

Ok I think we need to work at two levels,

level one – story concepts

Level two – the business end of things, organization and production

Story Concepts

The Fleet has for the time being escaped from the Cylons. What do they need?
Fuel, food, improved living quarters; many ships are old and will need repairs. Some ships are slower than others, can they be modified to increase their speed, the fleet can move only as fast as the slowest ship.

How would you increase food production?

What would happen lets say if a ship carrying a large segment of the population has engine failure? What would you do?

Just for starters.
Old November 18th, 2004, 10:19 AM   #80
KJ
Strike Leader

Long as it has some quality animation like the stuff seen in The Animatrix yeah i'd go for it but i'd still be cautious about how i went about it all. The idea an small animated feature should tie into the TOS is an interesting one to deabte.

Here is a bit of news far as animated movies being in tow with their big screen equivalents. Like the Animatrix and other 2D feature tying events to each other, like the Van Helsing prequel, Dark Fury, Clone Wars. Blade has now jumped on the bandwagon, as a new animation feature will be available on the movie soundtrack CD with tracks from the Rza.

"Blade: Blood Thirsty"

Just to let you all know.

Getting back on track however, yes it is indeed interesting to see what would come about should the funds be raised to make a feature to run along side a TOS spin off or continuation and to tell as many stories within that timeframe.

KJ
Old November 18th, 2004, 11:00 AM   #81
martok2112
Colonial Story Teller

Colonial Fleets

Everyone is bringing up good points. This is the kind of thinking I LIKE!

Repcisg, BSCerberus, and anyone else that has story ideas...I would love to get some brainstorming going on. The fuel, food, spaceworthiness of ships, and several other ideas rarely covered in season one are great ideas to start with.

My email is martok2112@yahoo.com my Yahoo Instant Messenger is genchang2112 My MSN Messenger is genchang2112@yahoo.com

Ideas are where all good things begin.

Respectfully,
Martok2112
Old November 18th, 2004, 11:26 AM   #82
bsg1fan1975
Major

Again my opinion is i wouldn't mind as long as it was done right and not made to look like something out of a freak show!

Cheese: [has tinfoil on his teeth] I have braces!
Mac: You found that on the ground, didn't you?
Cheese: Garbage can.
-episode "Mac Daddy"Foster's Home for Imaginary Friends"
bsg1fan1975 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 18th, 2004, 11:42 AM   #83
Archangel
Bad Email Address

There is also the 'Tales From The Fleet' anthology concept. Where you could tell stories of the refugees...

Good idea? Bad? Only your psychiatrist knows for sure.
Archangel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 18th, 2004, 06:41 PM   #84
Gemini1999
Strike Leader

Colonial Fleets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archangel
There is also the 'Tales From The Fleet' anthology concept. Where you could tell stories of the refugees.
Archangel -

I like that idea - there could be some good material from that....!

Best,
Bryan

Old November 18th, 2004, 09:28 PM   #85
repcisg
Bad Email Address

The quality now possable with CGI should make it possable to do some very high quality work. We can leave the cartoons to Disney.
Old November 18th, 2004, 10:38 PM   #86
thomas7g
out there somewhere

COMMAND INSIGNIAFormer Admin (ret)
Colonial Fleets
BattlestarGalactica-Fleets.com
Owner
Ship Of Lights Forum

Ah.... but there is the differance. Disney does CARTOONS.

I'm assuming you, like many many people, see cartoons as for kids. But oh contraire!

Real anime does not fit the cartoon label. In japan, they have a weaker live action film industry. Blame that on literally less box office seats available in japan's smaller population. Smaller population, less box office tickets sold, less revenue, lower film profits. Less money to make feature films.

That's why anime is so varied. It replaces traditional live action films.

Take anime films like Perfect Blue. Its about a woman that is stalked, hunted, and raped. That's not exactly a Disney cartoon.

You would probably love anime. Just weed out the "cartoon anime" first.

"There is a meaning for wings that can not fly!
Its a precious memory of when you once flew in the sky."
thomas7g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 19th, 2004, 12:18 AM   #87
gmd3d
Major

The first anime i ever saw Akira, well lets just say that i could not believe what they did it was a real eye opener.

"The world is my country, science my religion.”
gmd3d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 19th, 2004, 12:32 AM   #88
martok2112
Colonial Story Teller

Colonial Fleets

Quote:
Originally Posted by potemkin
The first anime i ever saw Akira, well lets just say that i could not believe what they did it was a real eye opener.

It was an eye opener alright.

But the story seemed a tad convoluted to me.

Respectfully,
Martok2112
Old November 19th, 2004, 12:39 AM   #89
thomas7g
out there somewhere

COMMAND INSIGNIAFormer Admin (ret)
Colonial Fleets
BattlestarGalactica-Fleets.com
Owner
Ship Of Lights Forum

The comic book version was much better. Originally it was this huuuuuge manga story. I think I might still have it. All the volumes made a pretty hefty stack!

Oh and one thing that was lost in the anime...you could tell the boy from the girl alot easier when they were both wearing orange jump suits. The anime simplified both characters to the point where the faces were too close.

"There is a meaning for wings that can not fly!
Its a precious memory of when you once flew in the sky."
thomas7g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 19th, 2004, 12:43 AM   #90
gmd3d
Major

Originally Posted by martok2112:
Quote:
But the story seemed a tad convoluted to me
after looking up "convoluted" in my Thesauras, yes I argree

"The world is my country, science my religion.”
gmd3d is offline   Reply With Quote