Go Back   Colonial Fleets > REJUVENATION CENTER > Galactica Cafe
Notices
Galactica Cafe A place to socialize and have fun!

Old June 12th, 2004, 07:09 PM   #1
Muffit
Muff Daggy

COMMAND INSIGNIAOwner:
Colonial Fleets

Default "Let's Make Like Jelly, and 'Jam'!!!"

My old expression from my teens, LOL.

On that subject, tried my hand at making jelly for the first time yesterday. First batch was runny ("It's a bit runny!!!" :laugh.
Guess I put too much cinnamon. Not to worry, pectin to the rescue!

Didn't turn out too bad for a first try. Even my family likes it, and THAT'S more of a compliment than you can possibly imagine.

I really wanted to imitate the look and taste of a cinnamon jelly my mom used to buy us in the early 60's - came in a tiny jar, right next to the mint jelly. Disappeared around 1965 and haven't seen it since. It was bright red and SOOOOOOOOO yummy. Used to beg my mom for it days before she went shopping. I think I succeeded only about, oh, three times.

Mine turned out brown though, thanks to the apple juice and powdered cinnamon. Also, more apple taste than I was shooting for. Did some research and think I'll get it right next time. I need to use candy-maker's liquid cinnamon, and much less apple juice (corn syrup instead). Then it should turn out clear so the red coloring will take.

Anywho! Am I boring ya yet??????
Guess I'd better jam...

Muffit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 12th, 2004, 07:34 PM   #2
Rowan
On Vacation...

I love making jelly and jam, going strawberry picking sometime this week and will be making some then.

I've never heard of cinnamon Jelly sounds cool though I love cinnamon if you get it perfected maybe you could share the recipe?
Rowan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 12th, 2004, 07:34 PM   #3
unowhoandwhy
Strike Leader

Not boring me, no, but my mind has been boggled by thoughts of cinnamon jam. I like cinnamon, but I'll have to take your word on the yumminess of cinnamon jam.

Each smallest act of kindness reverbrates across great distances and spans of time, affecting lives unknown to the one whose generous spirit was the source of this good echo, because kindness is passed on and grows each time it's passed, until a simple courtesy becomes an act of selfless courage years later and far away. Likewise, each small meanness, each expression of hatred, each act of evil.

This Momentous Day, H. R. White

unowhoandwhy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 12th, 2004, 08:39 PM   #4
Muffit
Muff Daggy

COMMAND INSIGNIAOwner:
Colonial Fleets

Hi Rowan and UWW!!Yeah, I've heard a lot of folks over the years look oddly at me about my love of that childhood cinnamon jelly. But really, it was AWESOME. It was a clear bright red, very little apple taste, strong (but not too strong) cinnamon plus a little something extra I can't pin down.

It was incredible to have on buttered toast for breakfast. And my personal fav (don't upchuck!! ), Jif peanut butter and cinnamon jelly with Velveeta cheese on top!!! Without the bread!!!

Okay, now I've gone and done it... bet you'll think I'm not operating on all thrusters after this :laugh:

Old June 13th, 2004, 09:23 AM   #5
Muffit
Muff Daggy

COMMAND INSIGNIAOwner:
Colonial Fleets

Here's my current cinnamon apple jelly recipe:

4 cups apple juice
1 pkg (1.75 ounces) Sure-Jell
(I had to add 4 tbsps extra Sure-Jell per cup to get it to gel)
4 1/2 cups sugar
7 tsps powdered cinnamon
10 drops red food coloring

Combine sugar, Sure-Jell (pectin) and apple juice in large pan
Bring to full rolling boil
Add cinnamon
Boil for 2 minutes
Remove from heat,and skim off foam
Wait 2 minutes then pour into sterilized jars
Let cool on counter
Store in fridge

Tastes great on buttered toast!

P.S. This makes WAY too much! I got 3 1/2 pints out of it!
For just one jar, maybe cut recipe by two-thirds (not sure
if that will work, gotta try it myself).

You can find the 3-piece jelly jars at any grocery store
(usually in packs of 6 or 12)

Enjoy!!!
Muffit
Old June 16th, 2004, 12:40 PM   #6
Bombadil

Well, cinammon jelly might not be my favorite thing, but cinammon oil, now, that’s another story entirely!
I don’t know if you still can do this, but in my high school years I used to buy tiny little containers of cinammon oil at the pharmacy counter. Cinammon oil is the stuff that gives atomic fireballs their delightful kick. The preferred method of ingestion was to take a toothpick, soak the toothpick in the oil container for a little while, and then suck on the toothpick. You had to be careful though, until you had built up some tolerance. Otherwise you could end up with a nasty little chemical burn that felt just like a bad sunburn, on any area with which the oil had come in contact. Lips, for example, or, worse, the tender skin surrounding the lips. I got some oil on my fingertip once, then rubbed my upper lip for some reason. The lip turned bright pink and hurt just like a sunburn for some time afterwards. Taught me a lesson.
It’s been a while since I had a cinammon toothpick, but Muffit’s meanderings have made me miss them. . .
Old June 16th, 2004, 12:47 PM   #7
Muffit
Muff Daggy

COMMAND INSIGNIAOwner:
Colonial Fleets

Hi Bombadil! Yep, you can still get cinnamon oil (at least online). In fact, that's what I'm gonna use next time so my jelly will be clear. They say it just takes a few drops.

I remember restaurants used to have those cinnamon toothpicks. And yep, you're right, you can definitely burn yourself pretty good with spices. My older brother has no feeling in his mouth (or not much), so he smothers his food in Lousiana Hot Sauce!

Thanks for the reply!
Old June 16th, 2004, 04:08 PM   #8
Flamingo Girl
Squadron Leader

Veteran
Fleets Warrior

Also, Muffit, you might try adding a couple teaspoons of lemon juice, it might help keep the apple juice from turning so brown.

"Dirk's always wanted to make love with himself, and now he could succeed!!!"
RH
Flamingo Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 16th, 2004, 04:14 PM   #9
julix
Bad Email Address

Muffit

You are so talented! Cooking, music, poetry and I checked out muffitland...very cool!
julix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 16th, 2004, 04:25 PM   #10
Muffit
Muff Daggy

COMMAND INSIGNIAOwner:
Colonial Fleets

Thanks FG!!!

And thank you too Julix!!!

to you both!
Old June 16th, 2004, 07:05 PM   #11
amberstar
Strike Leader

[QUOTE=Rowan]I love making jelly and jam, going strawberry picking sometime this week and will be making some then.

Wow Rowan ..........That's my favorite. Strawberry Yum!
Old June 29th, 2004, 03:49 AM   #12
bsg1fan1975
Major

i made grape jelly once with my mother. I have always wanted to try making apple butter. my grandmother used to make it and I get a big jar in Amish Country every year when I go. Lasts me a few months and then I have to buy something else until then.

Cheese: [has tinfoil on his teeth] I have braces!
Mac: You found that on the ground, didn't you?
Cheese: Garbage can.
-episode "Mac Daddy"Foster's Home for Imaginary Friends"
bsg1fan1975 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 29th, 2004, 06:45 AM   #13
unowhoandwhy
Strike Leader

bsg, here'a an easy recipe for apple butter (which is definitely yummy, I may have to try it my self!):

Crock pot apple butter recipe
Apple butter recipe that is made the easy way, by using your crock pot.
Here is an easy way to start the Harvest season off right. Your kitchen will smell of delicious apple butter and you can let the crock-pot do all the cooking. This is a good way for working women to make their own apple butter and take some of the hard work out of the task.

Ingredients:

8 cups applesauce

5 1/2-cups sugar

1-teaspoon oil of cinnamon

1/4-cup vinegar

1/2-cup cinnamon candies

1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon

-Add all ingredients and cook in crock-pot, uncovered on high setting. Stir the mixture often and cook until desired thickness. This will cook for several hours but you won't mind because a sweet spicy aroma will drift through your house.

Each smallest act of kindness reverbrates across great distances and spans of time, affecting lives unknown to the one whose generous spirit was the source of this good echo, because kindness is passed on and grows each time it's passed, until a simple courtesy becomes an act of selfless courage years later and far away. Likewise, each small meanness, each expression of hatred, each act of evil.

This Momentous Day, H. R. White

unowhoandwhy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 30th, 2004, 03:33 AM   #14
bsg1fan1975
Major

have to get a crock pot to do this. but could you do me a big favor and send it to my email addy!

Old June 30th, 2004, 07:29 PM   #15
shiningstar
Bad Email Address

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muffit
My old expression from my teens, LOL.

On that subject, tried my hand at making jelly for the first time yesterday. First batch was runny ("It's a bit runny!!!" :laugh.
Guess I put too much cinnamon. Not to worry, pectin to the rescue!

Didn't turn out too bad for a first try. Even my family likes it, and THAT'S more of a compliment than you can possibly imagine.

I really wanted to imitate the look and taste of a cinnamon jelly my mom used to buy us in the early 60's - came in a tiny jar, right next to the mint jelly. Disappeared around 1965 and haven't seen it since. It was bright red and SOOOOOOOOO yummy. Used to beg my mom for it days before she went shopping. I think I succeeded only about, oh, three times.

Mine turned out brown though, thanks to the apple juice and powdered cinnamon. Also, more apple taste than I was shooting for. Did some research and think I'll get it right next time. I need to use candy-maker's liquid cinnamon, and much less apple juice (corn syrup instead). Then it should turn out clear so the red coloring will take.

Anywho! Am I boring ya yet??????
Guess I'd better jam...
Not at all ........it brings back alot of memories and tastes. My mother
in law is the ABSOLUTE BEST at making JELLY
shiningstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 1st, 2004, 03:56 AM   #16
bsg1fan1975
Major

grams was the best at it! mom was great too!