Go Back   Colonial Fleets > FAN CREATIVITY > Shattered Worlds > Costuming Guild
Notices
Costuming Guild For the costuming

Old February 28th, 2009, 01:16 PM   #1
Reaper
Warrior ACE!

Default Warrior's Costume gunbelt construction

I was asked in the Wilco models thread, to do a thread on assembling the Warrior's Gunbelt. Not your traditional model, so if it's int he wrong place, please move it.

This is the Laser and gunbelt I got from BSG.org about 9 years ago.

What it consists of is a Blue Parade belt (similar to the older Army equipment belts) with brass colored fittings, the 3 Recharge cylinders (in this case resin casts of the markers used in the show) and the brown plastic holster (this one lined with brown felt)
BSG.org went with the theory that the original gunbelts were blue. I always thought of the belts as black. It's been shown that the originals might have started out as white, and were dyed black, resulting in a dark grey color.

So, what I did was I went about making a new gunbelt with a black belt as a base.

I ordered a new belt from here: http://www.paradestore.com

If you like the blue belt, you can get that, if you like the idea of a black belt, you can get that as well, or you can go completely accurate and get the white one and some black dye.
The listed price of the belt is $10.95

Now, on the gunbelt I ordered, the holster was riveted to the belt. IT used the eye holes to run the rivetys through. I'm personally not a fan of Rivets, I prefer Screw posts. I get mine from Tandy Leather
www.tandyleatherfactory.com

http://www.tandyleatherfactory.com/h...ture=Product_2

these are the ones I got, they are brass, so they match the rest of the hardware on the belt. I had to drill out some of the eye holes on the belt to allow the screw bases to fit through. but The holster is now removeable. (and on the black belt)

To attach the Recharge cylinders to the belt, The series used Velcro. and later in the season you can see zip ties on the cylinders to keep them from falling off. So, my purchased belt and when I redid it used screws to attached the cylinders. I used 2 on each cylinder. you can use a single one, and let it move a little. this might help when you sit. they do dig in a little. lol How I did this was, I used self tapping screws (ask at the hardware store, they can help you out). I drilled a starter hole (MUCH smaller then the screw diameter) then then started screwing through the belt, When I could see the tip of the screw, I positioned the starter hole on the screw and then just tightened up. the self tapping screw enlarged the hole and seated itself in the resin. the second screw worked just the same.

now, Like in the original Star Trek, the Languatron and Communicator also attached to the belt with velcro. there should be a square opposite of your holster on you hip.

The biggest problem will be getting a holster. I don't know of any place that offers brown plastic for you to cut and then mold for the holster. SO, if you want to make your own, you will need to paint the plastic.

There is one person i know offering holsters on ebay. I know the seller Katarra8 does not have the best feedback from people who have ordred from her before. But I have noticed that items that are not custom, and are offered in her ebay store have been delivered reliably. (http://stores.shop.ebay.com/Katarra8__W0QQ_armrsZ1)

she offeres a complete gunbelt for $99.99 (Concider what you can do it for yourself, way over priced!)
a molded holster (just the plastic, no felt lining) for $27.99 (if you can't heat plastic and mold it to your laser, this is not a bad price, but adding the fflet will be an issue)
And a unmolded, cut holster blank for $19.99 (this is what I got for my second gunbelt)
She also lets you choose right or left handed models for the molded holsters.

I'd completely discount the Completed holster, since even buying all the parts and doing a little assembly, you can do it for less then $70.

You will also have to supply the leg tie of you get either the molded holster or the blank. What they used in the series and what most replicas have is an 1/4 inch eleastic strap. It's attached with velcro. I changed this on both my gunbelts. I stuck with the 1/4 inch tie down, but I used Nylon, it doesn't stretch, so it holds the holster more securely. It's a little harder to sit, but this entire set up sucks for sitting, watch the actors in the show, they always slouch it seems. I ordered it online, and a simple google search with bring up either the eleastic or nylon webbing. And I also used a plastic buckle, found on the same site as the nylon.

If you have any questions, post here, and I'll answer them. Hope this helps.

Classic fan, and die hard!
Reaper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 28th, 2009, 01:33 PM   #2
Mieal Deneb
Bad Email Address

Default Re: Warrior's Costume gunbelt construction

I got my pistol/gun belt from Amazon.com for about $2.50. They don't come in large sizes, but this fits me. I plan to dye mine.

Chris Pappas Sells holster blanks as well as finished belts. (Or at least he used to...I can't seem to click on anything on the site right now. It's under the "Buy Repicas" section.

(I Know it has nothing to do with gun belts, but you can also order the collar insignia pins from Parade Store, I believe it's the military intelligence with the black painted blue and turned upside-down.)
Mieal Deneb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 28th, 2009, 01:43 PM   #3
Reaper
Warrior ACE!

one more thing I forgot to mention. Another modification I made when I redid the holster. I never liked how the plastic holster was split roght down the side. I put alot of time and effort into the porps and didn't like the thought of the pistol coming out that easily.

So what I did was drilled 2 small holes very close to each other, and 2 mirror holes on the other side of the holster break. (think of it like the holes on a button) I then laced some thread (I have heavy duty leather thread that I used) through the holse, closing the gap, and making sure that no matter how fast and hard I holster a pistol, I won't open the holster too much and the resin pistol falls to the floor. you barey notice the thread (it corsses the break on the inside) and I feel more secure about it.

Old February 28th, 2009, 01:57 PM   #4
Mieal Deneb
Bad Email Address

BTW Reaper, do you have pictures of your completed belt after you put it on the black belt and made your mods?
Old February 28th, 2009, 02:41 PM   #5
Reaper
Warrior ACE!

just took these pics for you.

This is both holsters I currently have. The top one (black one ) is the one I intend to use for costuming. The blue one I did just cause I had the spare belt and recharge cylinders. (I also have 2 and a half blasters right now)

This is the primary Holster, the one I got from BSG.Org way back when. You can see the brown leather thread. On this one, I actually only used 2 holes and a simple loop (must have upgraded the process in my mind lol)

This is the spare holster. I now remember I used 4 holes cause I had to reheat the plastic and extended 2 of the holes when I originally did this one up. I didn't think it would have held. There is also no felt in this one, since I am not sure I'll be using this much at all.

this is my primary clasp on my costume rig. It's a smaller buckle, and I think it looks better. It will blend a lot more. It shouldn't have to hold much stress, but I was worried about it breaking (it's not very big)

So, This is the second clasp I got, more of a traditional insertion lock. It looks like it's stronger, and would last longer, but it would also stand out more. The benefits of having a spare.

So that's my 2 rigs, did you want any other picture requests?

Old February 28th, 2009, 02:46 PM   #6
Mieal Deneb
Bad Email Address

Thanks for posting those.
Old February 28th, 2009, 04:02 PM   #7
monolith21
Squadron Leader

Of course Parade store now has a black belt with brass hardware!!! I already have two white belts waiting to be dyed because they didn't used to carry one! lol Actually that is pretty cool. You could get the black one and just fade it out a bit. I'm just going to dye the ones I have though. I want to get the "steel gray" look.

Soon we should start a thread on the dress uniform! I'm not quite there yet...but soon I want to throw a dress belt together.

Great thread!

Lt. Killian
Blackstar Squadron
"The Fighting Faithful"

"Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one."
-Albert Einstein
monolith21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 28th, 2009, 04:18 PM   #8
Reaper
Warrior ACE!

I too plan on doing a dress uniform as well. A thread on that would rock!

I think we have the makings of a costuming section here. All this could be the basis for the costume resources

And yes, as soon as you got tyhe white ones, They probably introduced the black ones lol. That's Murphy and his stupid law for you. I should know, Murphy is a good friend of mine lol

Old February 28th, 2009, 05:02 PM   #9
Mieal Deneb
Bad Email Address

Yeah, I know Murphy pretty well too...

I plan on making my regular uniform so that I can wear it as my dress uniform. I plan to make a cape and "necklace" and keep my eye open for the belt and boots too. Not sure about the watch...suggestions? I've been looking online at belly dance jewelry, because the dress uniform "necklace" makes me think of a belly dancer's necklace. The cool thing is, everyone's necklace is slightly different, so you don't have to match anything precisely.

We really need a Costumes section on this board...
Old February 28th, 2009, 05:41 PM   #10
monolith21
Squadron Leader

I found some german military boots a while back for cheap that could work well for a dress uniform. However those of us with "Popeye" calves might have a hard time getting into them. I'm trying to figure out how to modify them.

Lt. Killian
Blackstar Squadron
"The Fighting Faithful"

-Albert Einstein
Old February 28th, 2009, 05:50 PM   #11
Reaper
Warrior ACE!

Quote:
Originally Posted by monolith21 View Post
I found some german military boots a while back for cheap that could work well for a dress uniform. However those of us with "Popeye" calves might have a hard time getting into them. I'm trying to figure out how to modify them.

oh yes, the bain of getting costume boots!!! I have tree trunks for legs, I can barely fit into boots.

the best solution would be to find someone who can do some serious leatehr work (an old fashioed shoe repair place should do the trick) and add in some extra material. Add it to the inside of the boots.

Another solution, given to me by a friend who does leather work (but can't sew in things like zippers lol) is to wet the leather, and using an inflatable football, slowly, over the courzse of a week or more, inflat the ball to stretch the leather. you will need to keep wetting down the leather, and only stretch it alittle each time. This will avoid ripping the leather.

Old February 28th, 2009, 06:07 PM   #12
Mieal Deneb
Bad Email Address

I was going to suggest the wetting and stretching thing for the boots. It's amazing what just a little water and some patience can do.
Old February 28th, 2009, 06:21 PM   #13
monolith21
Squadron Leader

Sounds great to me! I actually have a good shoe repair place just down the stree. I was thinking about having them add some material. I might try the stretch method first.

Lt. Killian
Blackstar Squadron
"The Fighting Faithful"

-Albert Einstein
Old February 28th, 2009, 06:23 PM   #14
monolith21
Squadron Leader

They're not entirely accurate...but here are some boots. I think the screen used dress boots were custom made.

http://www.tridentmilitary.com/Boots.htm

http://www.sportsmansguide.com/searc...k=German+Boots

Lt. Killian
Blackstar Squadron
"The Fighting Faithful"

-Albert Einstein
Old February 28th, 2009, 06:27 PM   #15
Mieal Deneb
Bad Email Address

Which ones were you thinking of? If you go with the ones that have heel irons, you'll need to take those off or convention centers will sue you for scratching up their floors!

Were the dress boots black? All this time I was assuming that they were brown...
Old February 28th, 2009, 07:28 PM   #16
monolith21
Squadron Leader

They're definitely brown. Cordovan is what I've used on my battle boots. I might go with something a tad lighter for the dress boots. Not sure if they were the same color as the sidis.

The ones I have are leather soles. I'm not tromping around a convention with heel irons or hob nails! The Sidis are enough!

Lt. Killian
Blackstar Squadron
"The Fighting Faithful"

-Albert Einstein
Old February 28th, 2009, 07:39 PM   #17
Mieal Deneb
Bad Email Address

I have yet to paint my Sidi boots. I went the Sidi - Joel Robert replica version because I just love the look of those boots, even though they're tough to walk in and the ladies also wore just plain ol' riding boots. The Sidis just look "Battlestar Galactica-ish" to me.
Old February 28th, 2009, 07:50 PM   #18
StarshipTrooper
Bad Email Address

COMMAND INSIGNIAOwner/Admin
BattlestarGalacticaClub.com

Cool Re: Warrior's Costume gunbelt construction

I'm happy that you love the look of the boots (do you mind if I call you Anne?). I always put a Band-Aid on my right big toe before marching hard for one hour (blisters and all). And I think other people like the sound (compared to the look) of the boots. I always get funny looks from the mild-mannered folks. I think they expected a SWAT Officer marching up behind them!

StarshipTrooper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 28th, 2009, 08:00 PM   #19
Reaper
Warrior ACE!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mieal Deneb View Post
I have yet to paint my Sidi boots. I went the Sidi - Joel Robert replica version because I just love the look of those boots, even though they're tough to walk in and the ladies also wore just plain ol' riding boots. The Sidis just look "Battlestar Galactica-ish" to me.
Actually Some of the Female Warriors did wear the SIDIs as well. Athena had the SIDIs when she was in battle gear, and I believe Serena did as well. The only warrior who wore the plain brown boots was Sheba. The bridgecrew and other Galactica crew wore plain boots as well (black only when in the blue uniforms)

What I'm doing for boots is I got a pair of modern Motocross boots on Ebay (O'Neill Boots, don't know the model) They have 4 plastic rocker clasps. But I'm sending them to my leatehr workign friend. He'll add more buckles and Make them look more like the center bar buckles on the repros. (These are also black, so he'll paint them brown for me) I'm thinking I'll get a damned good looking pair of boots for $150 total. Including the custom work.

when he's done with my boots, I'll post pics and contact info for people. Including before and after pics.

When I get around to Dress boots, I'm thinking I may see if he can take a pair of ankle high boots and make the custom upper. I'ts the best way to fit my tree trunks. lol

Old February 28th, 2009, 08:33 PM   #20
monolith21
Squadron Leader

Reaper, which size Chicago screws did you order? I ordered some rivets a while back but they were super small. Apparently I need it spelled out for me!

Lt. Killian
Blackstar Squadron
"The Fighting Faithful"

-Albert Einstein
Old February 28th, 2009, 08:38 PM   #21
Reaper
Warrior ACE!

1/4 inch Brass finish.

The diameter of the screw posts are all the same, it comes down to the length. the 1/4 inch will be just a tad too long, but the best fit overall.

over the years, I've used all three offered screw posts. The black works well from the Star wars tuff I do, even the silver ones for a contrast, but for Galactica, it's Brass baby

Old February 28th, 2009, 08:53 PM   #22
monolith21
Squadron Leader

Wow...they kinda bite you on the shipping don't they!

Lt. Killian
Blackstar Squadron
"The Fighting Faithful"

-Albert Einstein
Old February 28th, 2009, 08:55 PM   #23
Reaper
Warrior ACE!

I usually have a bigger order, never ordered just the screw posts. There's leather and dye and a bunch of stuff I get there.

Never notice the bite that way lol

Old February 28th, 2009, 09:12 PM   #24
monolith21
Squadron Leader

Agreed! If I knew the size of the dress belt and buckle I'd order those along side the screw posts. Truthfully I haven't done a lot of research on those.

By the way, this is the paint I've been using on boots. http://www.shoetreemarketplace.com/M...ray_p/1003.htm

636 Cordovan is my preferred choice for the battle boots. Depending on the light they look black. However in direct or bright light they are definitely brown. I was thinking of going with the 605 Medium brown for the dress boots. Its a bit lighter. I tried a pair of the Sidis in the medium and it just didn't seem dark enough.

Lt. Killian
Blackstar Squadron
"The Fighting Faithful"

-Albert Einstein
Old February 28th, 2009, 09:14 PM   #25
monolith21
Squadron Leader

Holy frack! I broke six hundred today and didn't even notice! This has been a post worthy day!

Lt. Killian
Blackstar Squadron
"The Fighting Faithful"

-Albert Einstein
Old February 28th, 2009, 09:22 PM   #26
Reaper
Warrior ACE!

congrats my friend, it's been a big posting day for both of us!

Old February 28th, 2009, 09:26 PM   #27
monolith21
Squadron Leader

No kidding! A lot of fun though for sure. Next thing I'm after is the microphone they wore on the bridge and in the pilot when they're looking for leaks!

Lt. Killian
Blackstar Squadron
"The Fighting Faithful"

-Albert Einstein
Old February 28th, 2009, 09:28 PM   #28
Reaper
Warrior ACE!

It was also what they wore when flying the shuttle! I'd love a replica, allows you to be a pilot without the viper helmet lol

Old February 28th, 2009, 10:43 PM   #29
monolith21
Squadron Leader

I'll do some digging to find out what mic was used. There is already a thread about it over at ASAP but no info on the mic. I agree, it is a nice finishing touch.

Lt. Killian
Blackstar Squadron
"The Fighting Faithful"

-Albert Einstein
Old February 28th, 2009, 11:04 PM   #30
monolith21
Squadron Leader

I totally missed the thread over at the rpf about this! Apparently the mic is still being produced today! Some changes have been made to the band and the temple pieces...but otherwise here it is.

http://pro-audio.musiciansfriend.com...Mic?sku=270114

Lt. Killian
Blackstar Squadron
"The Fighting Faithful"

-Albert Einstein